PDA

View Full Version : Great Game

bballbeachbum
01-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Darn it

Pleasant Peninsula
01-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Great gritty win thrown away at the end with an epic, epic FAIL.

katman50
01-19-2013, 07:18 PM
I beg to differ. It was a lousy game. Sorry, I'm extremely disappointed and frustrated. Sorry.

Pleasant Peninsula
01-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Yep. Lousy game. It would have been a great, great win for the ages. Instead it is a horrible, horrible loss. There are no two ways about it tonight, folks. This one hurts.

Bulldog
01-19-2013, 07:21 PM
No game plan

bballbeachbum
01-19-2013, 07:21 PM
you're right, lousy game. Zags suck

Bogozags
01-19-2013, 07:22 PM
I do not normally complain about the officiating but there were so many horrible calls/no calls by this crew...

I am just sick...that reminded me of 2006 all over again...

katman50
01-19-2013, 07:22 PM
you're right, lousy game. Zags suck

No one said the Zags sucked.

bballbeachbum
01-19-2013, 07:24 PM
No one said the Zags sucked.

point taken.

lousy game

what did you expect in Indiana for crying out loud...Hoosiers or what?

ZagNative
01-19-2013, 07:27 PM
I agree, bballbeachbum, but we'd better retreat to our Zag hidey holes until the crazies vent their spleen.

katman50
01-19-2013, 07:28 PM
I agree, bballbeachbum, but we'd better retreat to our Zag hidey holes until the crazies vent their spleen.
What?

TM27
01-19-2013, 07:29 PM

Huh? How dare someone tongue in cheek say it was lousy to lose that way? There are two sets of crazies on this board....those that run around negative all the time, and those that run around bashing anything not 100% positive. Not sure which set of crazies are more delusional

zag67
01-19-2013, 07:32 PM
The loss is bad but the way this team kept coming back made it say that this team is going to be hard to beat the rest of the year. Bad calls, missed layins, 3 ptrs that went in and came out, "interesting calls" by the refs, 3 ptrs by them that would not miss in the first half, off balanced shots, and I do not know what else.

ZagLawGrad
01-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Great game. But bad ending, and no real good excuse for it.

Bulldog
01-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Great learning experience. Take care of the ball at all times.

ZagLawGrad
01-19-2013, 07:36 PM

No, even the sane would have to agree that was a terrible ending in the face of a clear win.

Zagnailler
01-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Is it better to give than to receive? 'Cause we gave this one to Brad and the Butler Bull.......s.

McZag
01-19-2013, 07:46 PM
I'm so proud of to be a Zag tonight. That crowd acted like it was their third trip to the Final Four. It's January kids. We do this fan thing for WCC Championships and March wins. This loss will be the perfect motivtion for the next two months. I love the way they played tonight. Can't wait for the encore

McZag
01-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Great learning experience. Take care of the ball at all times.

Great point. This tape will teach lessons for months.

McZag
01-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Huh? How dare someone tongue in cheek say it was lousy to lose that way? There are two sets of crazies on this board....those that run around negative all the time, and those that run around bashing anything not 100% positive. Not sure which set of crazies are more delusional

100% Positive crazy here. Life, and the basketball season, are too short to think otherwise.

If you have negative energy on this board, you have not lived through enough Zag losses.

GonzaGAW
01-19-2013, 07:54 PM
if you are a basketball fan, that was a great game, no argument. you know the nation is talking about it being a great game. the nation does not think less of our team, our players or coaches after a tough loss like that.

its kind of sad that some have already called out the coaches, the refs and certain gonzaga players. only a fanatic would call this a lousy game, and i mean no disrespect by using the word fanatic. we all here have a bit of that blood in us.

for me, i'm going to read the postive posts and stay away from the negative posts.

bballbeachbum
01-19-2013, 08:25 PM
it's that split second thing at the end, but yes it is what it is, it hurts

great opportunity to overcome the BS that populated that game (it's always like this, come on) and win anyway, overcome. Generating those opportunities consistently is why your program, you Zags, is so delicious for us outsiders to follow

this team is really good too

expect more obstacles to overcome that are BS...where's Reborn's prediction thread? I predict a road thru the Big 12 in the tournament that includes Kansas because the Big 12 hates the present 5-0 conversation

expect this poop, overcome it, etc.

just do it once and it's forever...earned deeply forever.

ConnZag3
01-20-2013, 02:18 PM
if you are a basketball fan, that was a great game, no argument. you know the nation is talking about it being a great game. the nation does not think less of our team, our players or coaches after a tough loss like that.

its kind of sad that some have already called out the coaches, the refs and certain gonzaga players. only a fanatic would call this a lousy game, and i mean no disrespect by using the word fanatic. we all here have a bit of that blood in us.

for me, i'm going to read the postive posts and stay away from the negative posts.

This is a great analysis of how the result of this game should be taken. It was a hard fought game between 2 great teams that both never gave up during the game. Gonzaga trailed from the first basket of the 2nd half until the last minute of the game. Was it a disappointing ending? Absolutely. But it was a hostile environment that can only help come tournament time more than anything. Plus was nice to see Dower have a great performance to keep the Zag in it in the first half.

Hoopaholic
01-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Dick vitals ( love or hate him) stated was one of the top 5 basketball games in his 34 years of being involved in collegiate hoops...that says it all to me as he has been part of some special events ( even if his style rubs me as a broadcaster his knowledge is second to none )

ezcure17
01-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Great game last night, still hurts bad, just cause of potential seeding, 2nd only to UCLA (why didn't JP just pass the ball to Raivio, foul 2fts up by 3) cause we HAD THIS GAME WON!!

Anyways, Butler has now used up all of their season's magic, we are saving ours for the NCAA tourney, when it will be sweeter than yesterday.
Besides, would you have rather we won at Butler, only to lose at home to BYU, or vice versa...we gave a great showing out there....we need to beat BYU now to sit atop the wcc standings...#1 seed for the wcc tourney is MOST IMPORTANT...let's let St. Marys and BYU play the #2-3 game this year... GO ZAGS!!!

DADoZAG
01-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Yes, GREAT GAME. Iíll bet itís replayed over and over and not just the last two possessions.

I guess itís good to know that, even though they may be substantially more proficient at it, the WCC refs donít own the patent on questionable and or missed calls. The blocking call on KO that should have been a charge, the push at the end of the game, the second on E that was reviewed for flagrant, I could easily fill this page.

But the bad calls werenít all against the ZAGS. Besides, that human element is part of the game, and we need to quit whining about bad bounces. It really looks bad and the ZAG warriors that fought yesterday deserve better from us.

They say more is learned from defeat than victory, letís hope all ZAGS learn and grow stronger because there are numerous things for each and every ZAG to examine and learn from in this single game. Not only the student athletes, but the professional ZAGS can learn as well. But those lessons are for discussion later this week when emotion has settled, when the pain has easied.

After all, finish stronger on a few of the missed bunnies, avoid a silly turnover or two, make one or more missed free throws, and the ZAGS walk away victorious from a storied venue, against what is quickly becoming a storied program with a phenomenal coach, in a game that was an instant classic.

Congrats to the Butler Bulldogs. Congrats to the ZAGS that stand proud behind their efforts and hold their head high.

Go ZAGS!

As a side note, anyone else noticed the 15 seconds that Butler let run off the clock toward the end of the first half? Last ZAG bucket at 49 seconds, yet the shot clock starts running with the game clock at 34 seconds. I donít think Iíve ever seen the shot clock running with more time than the game clock. InterestingÖ

cdools
01-20-2013, 05:10 PM
I was lucky enough to be at the Hinkle Fieldhouse and have three thoughts:
- The atmosphere was spectacular with a crowd of 10,226 going nuts throughout and both teams showing the skill and grit it takes to compete at this level;
-The refereeing took a lot of the flow away from the second half and, although this sounds like sour grapes from a Zag fan, the Zags had to fight through some very questionable calls to stay focussed in a hostile environment. Among the many phantom calls or non calls was the block called on Kelly at crunch time. That's a charge or a no call, not a block.
- The support given to David by his teammates shows a closeness that will take this team far when WCC and NCAA crunch time comes. I take the reaction of his teammates to show that they get that without David's great inside passing and that three from the corner there is no need for Butler's last-second heroics.

DixieZag
01-20-2013, 05:45 PM
David's three was the uplift the team needed to come back.

It takes a lot of spirit to hit only his second shot of the game pure when his only other shot bonked not even close.

We have so many guys that can explode in any game (Dower out of nowhere last night), David rarely turned it over last night and was dead-eye with assists.