PDA

View Full Version : - - -Adventures of Woohoo @ Hinkle- - -

gozagswoohoo
01-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Just getting the thread started, but I probably won't be able to post too many pics for a bit.

Let me start off by saying one thing though....Mrs Woohoo and I are currently downtown Indy to grab a bite to eat, and turns out there is some sort of cheer leading convention at Lucas Oil Stadium. There are cheerleaders EVERYWHERE. I'm talking thousands of them.

So, I'm in Indy to watch our zags play, and I'm surrounded by cheerleaders. I have died an gone to heaven.

Go Zags!

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Please tell me those aren't high school cheerleaders...

ZagNative
01-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Woohoo's in Indy with my Zags! All's right with the world.

gozagswoohoo
01-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Please tell me those aren't high school cheerleaders...

Not sure how to tell these days

gozagswoohoo
01-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Haha! So I just bought a white shirt at the mall, and I'm wearing it under my zags jersey, and I walked out of the fitting rooms and the employee that was standing there asked me if the shirt worked out. I said, 'Yea, and not to be Hoosier, but can I just wear it out of the store? I tore the tag off already'. And she said, 'Excuse me? Not to be WHAT?'.

Haha, guess they don't use that term here as often as I do?? It was pretty funny though.

gozagswoohoo
01-19-2013, 12:37 PM
This is a BEAUTIFUL area, very nice campus.

Here is a pic at Hinkle (obviously....lol)
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/177377D0-C4E9-490A-A3CD-B64A814DA764-1432-000001091B2718BC.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/9BD35D33-1ED3-4D56-9E0D-D8E2D0CA578F-1432-000001093D4FC5B9.jpg

GO STATE FARM!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/C9B6B63D-7FD2-4DC1-9C15-7CB4C9F858EE-1432-000001092C004F53.jpg

Oregonzagnut
01-19-2013, 12:40 PM
WooHoo has the clout to make sure everyone is out of the pictures.

Either that or he got up REALLY early in the morning.

caduceus
Way to represent, WooHoo!

Hope to hear you screeching during BU free throws on the TV! :D

Section 116
Way to represent Woohoo, looking forward to the updates!

ZagNative
01-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Internets says it's 52 degrees in Indianapolis. Nice day there, Woohoo? (It's 27 degrees in Spokane, with a lot of snow in my yard in So. Hill Spokane.)

Ekrub
01-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Not sure how to tell these days

Tattoos

Oregonzagnut
01-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Tattoos

There is a huge difference between an 18 yr old H.S. senior and an 18 yr old college freshman.

Ekrub
01-19-2013, 12:59 PM
There is a huge difference between an 18 yr old H.S. senior and an 18 yr old college freshman.

15 pounds?

LongIslandZagFan
01-19-2013, 01:02 PM
15 pounds?

You mean by the second semester of course. Freshman 15.

Oregonzagnut
01-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Lack of over-protective parents.

Ekrub
01-19-2013, 01:07 PM
You mean by the second semester of course. Freshman 15.

I suppose Michelob light and Bud 64 are for sale now, so yeah I guess it could take a semester for some :)

BobZag
01-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Woohoo needs to take the pics. ;)

Hoopaholic
01-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Absolutely jealous....enjoy

gozagswoohoo
01-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Woohoo needs to take the pics. ;)

Was waiting for this one. More to come, promise. :-)

And ZN, it's not a bad day at all! If it wasn't for the wind, it would actually be really nice. Very sunny out.

Oregon Zag
01-19-2013, 04:05 PM
I imagine the excitement and nervousness is building. I am so glad WooHoo is there to represent. We are gonna need it.

WooHoo, please post lots of pics and stories for us!

Go Zags!

AzZag
01-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Woo Hoo. Represent. Looking forward to the slideshow
Holla at the Mrs for us

gozagswoohoo
01-19-2013, 08:38 PM
As most of you would understand, I'm not in a 'typing' or 'posting' mood tonight. By pics and stories/thoughts coming tomorrow.

Still proud of my zags though, I'll say that much.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-19-2013, 09:30 PM
As most of you would understand, I'm not in a 'typing' or 'posting' mood tonight. By pics and stories/thoughts coming tomorrow.

Still proud of my zags though, I'll say that much.

You're on vacation with the family. Enjoy the break and forget about this board for a day or two. We'll be waiting when you get back.

thespywhozaggedme
01-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Just getting the thread started, but I probably won't be able to post too many pics for a bit.

Let me start off by saying one thing though....Mrs Woohoo and I are currently downtown Indy to grab a bite to eat, and turns out there is some sort of cheer leading convention at Lucas Oil Stadium. There are cheerleaders EVERYWHERE. I'm talking thousands of them.

So, I'm in Indy to watch our zags play, and I'm surrounded by cheerleaders. I have died an gone to heaven.

Go Zags!

Gotta loved the irony of this boards biggest self promoter being surrounded by cheerleaders. In your mind did you hear all of them yelling in unison "Gimme a W, Gimme an O, Gimme another O....."? :D

gozagswoohoo
01-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Wow.....where do I begin?? Despite the loss, my wife and I had an incredible time in Indy. Let me start off by saying that I was so freaking proud of the zags. That arena was INSANE. I've seen games in about 9 different venues, and this was the ONLY one that came close to the atmosphere you find in the Kennel. The Hinkle crowd was NON-stop screaming. Every single basket/steal/rebound, they would erupt. It was intense. It was so cool to be in that gym. At half time, I got out my iPhone and the wife and I watched that famous "measure the rims" scene from Hoosiers. It was AWESOME to be IN Hinkle and watching that. But that game reiterates why I love college basketball so much. As a Gonzaga fan, I wanted to punch myself in the face to relieve some of the pain from losing, but as a college basketball fan, I was just in awe of the game/venue/scene I had just witnessed. It was awesome.

So anyways, we stayed to nights in Indy. Early Saturday, we got up and went downtown and looked around for a while, and spent some time in a mall there. It was CROWDED, and I could not believe how FEW fans I saw?? From the time we arrived in Indy, until the time we got to Moe & Johnny's for the pre-game social, we saw ONE zags fan!! But not just that, I only saw TWO Butler fans! It was wierd. Usually, I wear my zags stuff around so people will either give me crap of start up a convo about the upcoming game. But, there weren't many fans out I guess. We got to Moe & Johnny's, and finally got to talk 'zags' with some fans. It was great. Saw a handful of familiar faces, got to meet a couple posters/lurkers, and got to meet some really cool GU alum. (Pics below) I always feel dumb trying to explain why I'm such a big zags fans, haha. They always ask when I graduated from GU, or what family I have in Spokane, etc. But anyways, Moe & Johnny's was excellent. There were probably about 80 or so zags fans in there when we arrived, and I got to talk to a handful of them. All really great people, and very passionate about Gonzaga. Two of the alum I met (Sean and Greg) were awesome. I got to talk to them for about 20 minutes or so. Greg was sporting the brand new Nike warm-up jacket already. I thought about offering him $20 for it, but something tells me he would have said no. haha. Sean was great too, he came to Hinkle all the way from Hawaii! Suddenly, my trek from St. Louis seemed very short. But anyway, if either of you read this, it was nice chatting!
Just a few 'game' notes. I thought Few did an excellent job of making some defensive adjustments at halftime. Butler hit probably 5-6 three's in the first half, and maybe 1 or 2 in the second?? After the first half, I was worried that they'd come out and keep hitting like that, but Few stopped it. Also, the refs really hosed us, I believe. They were calling some ridiculous off-the-ball fouls....there was a span of about 5 possessions where Butler got to go shoot some FT's without ever even attempting a shot. But, like I said, that crowd was INSANE, and refs are human, and I could see it being pretty easy to get swayed by the 10k screaming fans. But, either way, Gonzaga had their chances, and just couldn't quite get it done.

And as far as that final play goes, there can be all sorts of analysis about what we should have done and what would have worked so much better. But, you live and you learn. David Stockton and our zags learned a lot from this, I assure you! They will be SO much better prepared for the next time they're in a similar situation. I know it. But TWO things stuck out to me as Jones hit that shot. FIRST- Did anyone notice Brad Stevens reaction? He showed NO emotion. He had his arms crossed the whole time. The shot went in, and he turned and walked to shake Mark Few's hand. So classy. I respect that guy so much. What a great coach and role model. SECOND- Did anyone notice our zags reactions to Stockton? Harris AND Olynyk were both already consoling Stockton. They were rubbing him on the head and on the back. Man, that's just awesome. That says a lot to me about our guys. I also noticed our zags helping Butler guys up off the floor a handful of times. I really thought the zags represented well for us. Very proud of them.

One last thing; I have always been a Butler fan. They're program reminds me quite a bit of ours. I'll continue to root for them (as long as they're not playing us). For the most part, their fans were really cool. There were one or two right next to us that were giving us some trouble, but that's to be expected...Ash and I were literally in a sea of Butler fans. Right smack dab in the middle of a very loud section. It was fun, and also pretty intimidating. But, I did run in to two jerks AFTER the game. Both of them were wearing fraternity shirts, and both kinda sounded like they'd been sippin on a little of grandpa's old cough medicine (which surprised me, because there was no drinking in Hinkle). But both were almost LOOKING for some confrontation. I did my best to ignore them, although Leftwingwordking did have to step in and defuse a heated conversation on the way back to our vehicle. Regardless, two fans can't change my opinion of Butler. They are a passionate bunch, and have a great coach.

Now I'll post a few pictures from the trip. GO ZAGS!

Moe & Johnny's (by the way, I got yelled at for making her stop for this picture, it was FREEEEZING out, haha).
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/1358643044.jpg

Greg (if you're reading this, my $20 offer for your jacket is still on the table) & Sean
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/1358643211.jpg

Connor & Trevor (Leftwingwordking) It was great finally meeting Trevor. I love his passion for Gonzaga. He attends Mizzou, yet drives to OkSt, Indy, AND this week to Spokane to see his zags. Incredible. They don't get much more devoted than that!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/1358643217.jpg

gozagswoohoo
01-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Saw this thing 'driving' downtown Indy. I'm not sure what it was, but they were all pedaling, and were all drinking. Interesting. (and awesome).
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/1358783871.jpg

Quick snapshot of the pre-game social
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/1358784046.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/1358784728.jpg

Tip-off from our seats (nice choice GUinStL! I loved our location, thanks again for the work in helping Mrs Woohoo snag these for my bday).
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/1358784206.jpg

gozagswoohoo
01-21-2013, 09:22 AM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/1358784897.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/1358784895.jpg

Also, it was nice catching up with Bob Finn. Great guy, and always nice to see him at games. I really appreciate El Voce taking the time to make sure and introduce Bob and I back in 2010 when I was in Spokane.

All in all, it was a great trip. I wish things would have gone differently in the game, obviously, but you can't win them all. But yeah....when Jones sank that bucket, it hurt me PHYSICALLY. I lost my breath for a second, and then the sounds/cheering was just deafening. Heartbreak. Ugh. Makes me sick to think about that span of 60 seconds or so. I also laid in bed when we got back to the hotel, and just replayed that final 10 seconds in my head, over and over and over, thinking how we could have done 'this' or 'that' differently. I couldn't sleep. It was bad. But, still, the college basketball fan in me was thrilled to have witnessed a game of that magnitude. The best word to describe it is EPIC. No doubt.

Go Zags!

gozagswoohoo
01-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Were you in the second level, woohoo? I bought tickets from Ticketmaster, and our seats were in the student section. Needless to say, I booked it out of there as soon as Jones hit that final shot.

It was obvious we were rooting for Gonzaga, but no one talked any trash to us. Pretty classy. It was also obvious that the students HATED Olynyk.

We were about 10-12 rows up from the handrails, right in that diagonal section. And wow! You were in the student section??? Ouch! haha. I don't blame you for booking it...and yes, they hated Olynyk. He was the reason for the heated discussion with a fan on the way to our vehicle. And that really frustrated me, because Olynyk helped a Butler guy off the floor at least twice.

Knotsolucky
01-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Great job on your story Woohoo... Really enjoyed the pictures as well, although a little tough to view on an iPad or iPhone since they're sideways. BUT they were amazing just the same.

What a great Birthday present.

BTW... Happy Birthday!!!

BobZag
01-21-2013, 09:59 AM
A great birthday gift. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Irishdawg
01-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Woohoo, I'm glad you didn't let a couple of jerks ruin the Hinkle experience for you. Some in every fan base unfortunately, but it doesn't excuse them for being that way.

Posted this in another thread but I was very impressed with the class of the Gonzaga players helping some of the Butler guys off the floor after collisions and vice versa. That's how it should be, play your tail off trying to beat the other guy, but respect them at the same time. My wife hated Olynyk's hair, but he's a really good player and seems like a genuinely nice kid. I was also impressed with how Few handled the loss. Didn't make excuses or blame others, and that's what good coaches do whether it was their fault or not. Feel like Brad is in that same mold as Few when it comes to that. After watching his reaction at Maui for the Marquette game, I'm not surprised at all that he didn't really react. Believe it or not, he's been on the other side of those too and has absolutely no desire to show anyone up or overplay the importance of one game in January.

After going back and watching the game, I also wanted to say I sincerely hope that Gary Bell, Jr. was not hurt in any way when the fans stormed the court. I think for the most part it looked like your players were able to get out of the way, but he just took a route that ran him right into oncoming traffic.

Just think if somehow Gonzaga AND Butler were to happen to end up in the C7 (don't think it's incredibly likely, but you never know). Would be tough to replicate that atmosphere every year, but I know that myself and the vast majority of Butler fans would love for this series to continue, and I would love to head on out to Spokane to check out the Kennel at some point if the series should continue.

cjm720
01-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks for sharing, cool trip report.

willandi
01-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Saw this thing 'driving' downtown Indy. I'm not sure what it was, but they were all pedaling, and were all drinking. Interesting. (and awesome).
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/1358783871.jpg

My Mother's retirement center, in Missoula, Montana, has one of these. Each seat has a set of bicycle pedals that connect, via chain drive, to an axle at the rear. One person has to stand and steer from the front, using a steering wheel, and an old solid axle front end. The body is welded tubing. Looks like a great parade item, and certainly could be used to party to and from games (as long as they weren't TOO far away).

Hoopaholic
01-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Sweet....and ultimately jealous ( in a good way:roll::roll::cheers:

rijman
01-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Good stuff WooHoo, thanks for the great recap. I can't imagine being there for that ending. I read in another thread that Dickie V called it one of the top 5 games he's done in his 30+ years.

Zag 77
01-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Spokane has one of those pedal wagons too, allowing one to drink and pedal. Expect to see it on the streets for St. Patrick's Day parade.

Section 116
01-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Thanks Woohoo, good stuff, as always!!!!

Booster
01-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Greetings Woohoo! Great finally getting a chance to meet another authentic and passionate Zag fan! You represented the real bulldogs quite well. I'll make you a deal, when we get to Atlanta I'll bring you your own sweatshirt. Travel safe and enjoy STL. - Greg

gozagswoohoo
01-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Greetings Woohoo! Great finally getting a chance to meet another authentic and passionate Zag fan! You represented the real bulldogs quite well. I'll make you a deal, when we get to Atlanta I'll bring you your own sweatshirt. Travel safe and enjoy STL. - Greg

Hey, that's a DEAL!!

And everyone- sorry for the pictures bring sideways? That's odd. On the computer this morning, they were all fine, but now I'm viewing them on my iPhone and they're sideways. Oh well, you probably got the idea.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
01-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Great picture woohoo and great summary. Those guys giving us trouble walking to the car didn't affect my impression of Butler fans either. How about that girl on the court who came up to us and thanked us for traveling to Indy! I had several other similar instances throughout my time in that building. I agree that Hinkle was incredible...the history, the crowd, the HEAT! Must've been 85 degrees in there. All added to the so-called Hinkle Magic.

mee755
01-22-2013, 06:17 PM
Spokane has one of those pedal wagons too, allowing one to drink and pedal. Expect to see it on the streets for St. Patrick's Day parade.

Saw one in Lawrence, KS, too.

ZagMan in Philly
01-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience Woohoo. You and your wife are true passionate Zag fans.