• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • combatcorpsmangulaw
    Kennel Club Material
    • Nov 2012

Bilas says: Zags a better team but Butler will win

Of all the 'color' commentators on television, I think Bilas is the best. His analysis is cogent, well researched, and realistic. As opposed to Phelps and Vitale who have done zero research, appear to have dementia, shoot from the hip and then make excuses about why they were wrong.

Jalen Rose picks the Zags. He's been a pro long enough to know the intricacies of college basketball. I admire his courage in picking the Zags in front of thousands of screaming Butler fans at the Indianapolis arena.

Butler's good - no doubt about it. We're good, no doubt about it. Butler's at home, we're on the road. Advantage to Butler. Zags still win imo.
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Agree about Bilas.

And I find myself agreeing with his analysis. I am perplexed by the confidence on this board. Our travel and mere 2 day rest will fatigue our guys. The home court advantage is a big factor also. I see Butler winning a close one, could come down to the last few possessions.

Hope I am wrong - I have been wrong about possible losses all year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Comment

• UKWildcatsFan
      Kennel Club Alum
      • Jan 2012

Digger Phelps always picks the home team to make himself look favorable to the home crowd. So I never really listen to what he has to say when picking the game.

However, Jalen Rose picked Gonzaga and Jay Bilas picked Butler. I like Jay Bilas and he has a great basketball mind. I really really hope that he is wrong on this one though!

Let's go out there and get to 18-1!

Comment

• Reborn
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

I'm happy the Zags are in the underdog role. It's definitely a better place to be when on the road in a big game on TV. This will provide the Zags with something that will motivate them.
        Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• CDC84
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

The only problem with Bilas is that he continues to be clueless when it comes to the whole high major/mid major thing when it comes to college basketball. He continues to be stuck in the ice ages and fails to grasp the idea that the only true distinction that exists in modern times is between the elite factory school programs (Kansas, Duke, Syracuse, etc.) and the rest of the pack. If he truly thinks that year in and year out that Gonzaga is less positioned to win a national title than the vast majority of BCS teams, well, he is out of his mind. Schools like Mississippi, ASU and Iowa don't recruit any better players than GU does, don't have anymore NBA early entry roster turnover than Gonzaga does, and very often don't fund their teams and pay their coaches like Gonzaga does.

Comment

• hooter73
            Zag for Life
            • Jun 2008

If Harris's butt is still on fire after finally getting mad enough to stuff the ball during the Portland game, I think we have a better than even shot at it. Gonna need Pangos and someone, anyone, to combine for at the very minimum 6 threes to put us over the hump.

Comment

• MDABE80
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Underslept travelers vs well rested home teamers. Could be a problem. Moreso on their legendary court.
              I think we have better talent this year. This game though is just another hill to climb. All week, I've said this'll be a close one. My opnion hasn't changed.......unless our 3 pt shooters offer a huge barrage early....establishing balance between the back and fore court. Our bigs will be very good..........but the team win depends on balance. A close one will be good to watch. Let's see who has the toughness. We need to show that on their court. We need to show some very tough defense.
              Last edited by MDABE80; 01-19-2013, 11:18 AM. Reason: ....

Comment

• bartruff1
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2010

Kool Aid

Jay also said that one of these teams would be going to Atlanta....now, I would assume he meant the better team.....

" Georgia.....Georgia.....just a old sweet song, keeps Georgia on my mind "

Comment

• combatcorpsmangulaw
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Nov 2012

If we're concerned about 2 days rest for the Zags

then we should jumping for joy that Butler's top scorer won't be suited up for the game. I don't buy the idea that average 20 year olds can't play a 2nd game in 2 days, especially when GU emptied the bench in the Portland game.

College kids have the stamina of Arabian horses as long as the game isn't played at before 11 am. If GU loses, it won't be because they're exhausted from traveling after the Portland game. Indianapolis isn't Australia. And, Portland wasn't an exhausting game like Oklahoma State.

If the Zags bring their A game --- Butler won't beat us. If things go wrong early and Few doesn't insist of maintaining Plan A until 3 minutes left in the 2nd half, GU will come out on top imo.

Unknown is the Quality of the Refs and the calibre of the foul calls. If we don't get the Martians we've had in a couple of games, we shouldn't be victimized by 'unusual' foul calls and 'inconsistent' foul calls.

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
                    Zag for Life
                    • Apr 2007

If we can dictate the tempo, playing with the lead, we will prevail.

Comment

• jpwils
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Feb 2007

Bell and others will shine

Gary Bell is due...so is GLE....and Hart ALWAYS rises to the occasion.

Parham is peaking at the right time....need KD to catch fire which he is due to do!

Mix in our usual compliment of Bigs- KO with 20 plus points, Harris, Dower, and PK- and by the way PK is due for another BIGTIME game soon- we win tale of two halves.

First half even- second half our BIGS dominate!

3 pointers keep us in game til bigs take over, baby!

Comment

• DZ
                        Zag for Life
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by jpwils View Post
                        Gary Bell is due...so is GLE....and Hart ALWAYS rises to the occasion.

Parham is peaking at the right time....need KD to catch fire which he is due to do!

Mix in our usual compliment of Bigs- KO with 20 plus points, Harris, Dower, and PK- and by the way PK is due for another BIGTIME game soon- we win tale of two halves.

First half even- second half our BIGS dominate!

3 pointers keep us in game til bigs take over, baby!
                        So what you are saying is that ALL the Zags are either "due" for a big game or will continue their high level of play. I can hope for that too but law of averages says some players will be in their zone and some will need to make up for it in effort. I think this team is good enough that if some players have a great game and there is max effort than it will be tough for anyone to beat.
                        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                        Mark Twain.

Comment

• HOOTER
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by combatcorpsmangulaw View Post
                          I don't buy the idea that average 20 year olds can't play a 2nd game in 2 days...If GU loses, it won't be because they're exhausted from traveling after the Portland game.
                          I agree. They seemed fine with three games if four days in Florida. It's not like they're traveling via horse and carriage. They've got a pretty comfy jet plane last time I checked.

It's been a while, but if I think real hard I can seem to remember being able to go days on little sleep back in the day, and I wasn't exactly as healthy or athletic as these guys.

Comment

• Pleasant Peninsula
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Mar 2008

The only problem with Bilas is that he continues to be clueless when it comes to the whole high major/mid major thing when it comes to college basketball. He continues to be stuck in the ice ages and fails to grasp the idea that the only true distinction that exists in modern times is between the elite factory school programs (Kansas, Duke, Syracuse, etc.) and the rest of the pack. If he truly thinks that year in and year out that Gonzaga is less positioned to win a national title than the vast majority of BCS teams, well, he is out of his mind. Schools like Mississippi, ASU and Iowa don't recruit any better players than GU does, don't have anymore NBA early entry roster turnover than Gonzaga does, and very often don't fund their teams and pay their coaches like Gonzaga does.
                            That sounds like a strawman, CDC84. I've heard Bilas say some notionally BCS-biased things before (to our sensitive ears at least) but I've never heard him suggest that the rank-and-file BCS teams are superior in any way to the top of the "mid-major" heap. Do you have a link to point to Bilas making the argument that you are tearing down here?

Comment

• gamagin
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

I don't buy the Zags are road weary and tired.

what we don't know is who might be sick and thereby hampered in one way or another.

But a week's rest, followed by a fairly quick, easy victory over portland is nigh on perfect.

And it's not like they are traveling southwest (nonstop to a dozen cities enroute to IA). And it's not like they need any more incentives to get "up" for. Overload might be more likely.

Santangelo says they got in a practice in Portland Friday while waiting for a repair on the plane. So whether that walk through was in Portland or IA, they got it in. They are as ready as possible. It's never perfect. Seldom ever ideal.

So, the only fuel that we should be running on is high octane Sic 'Em.

THIS is the sort of situation most of our guys have signed up for and dreamed about.

The Hinkle is sold out. The whole country is watching. We have a high ranking to defend. The best start of any Zag team ever.

A cohesive team getting better each game. A lineup that has mostly faced Butler before, beat them, and now is mostlya year older, wiser and less inclined to fear these foes.

Both teams are (relatively) young and resilient and after the buzzer sounds, an extra hour or extra day to get ready for this contest will fly by the wayside. It will be all about who wants it the most. And who best follows their coaches game plans and sticks to the task at hand.

Have fun Zags. And beat Butler !
                              Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                              Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                              Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

Working...
                              X