PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Gonzaga win?

sideshow06
01-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Over at God Is a Gael, the big shot at Provo got us chatting about other great shots, which led to talk of great games. It seems pretty obvious that while we've had some great and important wins in the WCC, especially against Gonzaga in the last few years, the greatest win in our program's history was probably the win over Villanova to get to our first Sweet 16 since the 50's.

So just out of curiosity, what do you guys consider the greatest win in Zags history? Define greatest any way you like. You've had plenty of great moments to choose from.

Angelo Roncalli
01-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Not much to debate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdXeWvucvH8

Colbyspapa
01-18-2013, 03:39 PM
The tip

combatcorpsmangulaw
01-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Beating Stanford in 1999 at Key Arena. I had never seen Stanford before and they seemed to be the most arrogant set of players I had ever observed on a basketball court. Whipping their *** was a pleasure to behold.

Sidebar: I'd rather watch a Rosanne Barr sing the National Anthemn then that loser they call a mascot --- a Tree w/ an incessant woodpecker.

webspinnre
01-18-2013, 03:49 PM
Not much to debate:

The Slipper Still Fits.

This was before I was a GU fan (or student), but I don't know that there can be much argument on this point, at least in recent history. Until we get to another E8 or FF, this has got to be it.

U Zig, I Zag
01-18-2013, 03:50 PM
I think you have two categories here:

Greatest win, exciting and takes the team to new heights: The Runner. No doubt.

Just a great game, exciting throughout and an exciting finish: Battle in Seattle game, Morrison banking in the shot over OKst?

Oregonzagnut
01-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Not much to debate:

Absolutely NOTHING to debate. Gonzaga has the better "The Runner", against a better team, on a bigger stage, and in a do or die situation. Dellavedova's shot should've made the Top #1 play of the day

Dellys shot will go down in the annals of St Marys lore. and probably in the anals of BYU lore.

bartruff1
01-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Any win against the hated huskies...

siliconzag
01-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Beating Stanford in 1999 at Key Arena. I had never seen Stanford before and they seemed to be the most arrogant set of players I had ever observed on a basketball court. Whipping their *** was a pleasure to behold.

Sidebar: I'd rather watch a Rosanne Barr sing the National Anthemn then that loser they call a mascot --- a Tree w/ an incessant woodpecker.

Very nice, combat corpsman. Hats off to thee. Have you ever read my poem entitled Stanford Delenda Est? I might be able to dust it off, but not on the eve of the Butler game.

U Zig, I Zag
01-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Absolutely NOTHING to debate. Gonzaga has the better "The Runner", against a better team, on a bigger stage, and in a do or die situation. Dellavedova's shot should've made the Top #1 play of the day

Dellys shot will go down in the annals of St Marys lore. and probably in the anals of BYU lore.

Freud?

Psychozag
01-18-2013, 04:18 PM
The runner is the most important game, no question. But for exciting basketball with a positive outcome and a great storyline, the GU vs. MSU game to go to the semifinals of the Maui classic that was a battle between Morrison and Ager is one of my favorite GU games of all-time.

Top Performers

Gonzaga: A. Morrison 43 Pts, 7 Reb, 4 Ast, 2 Stl

Michigan State: M. Ager 36 Pts, 2 Reb, 3 Ast, 2 Stl, 1 Blk

UKWildcatsFan
01-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Definitely has to be the win over Florida to send us to the Elite 8.

Angelo Roncalli
01-18-2013, 04:24 PM
The first Battle in Seattle, OT win against #3 Missouri was pretty epic.

Dogtownkid
01-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Of course you shouldn't resuscitate it before the Butler game, but how about afterwards?

ZagMan in Philly
01-18-2013, 04:43 PM
No doubt, the biggest win, the one in Atlanta....in April.

kclubfounder
01-18-2013, 04:50 PM
January 10, 1983

Gonzaga 49 AT DePaul 48

If memory serves, for at least a couple years whenever DePaul was playing at home on TV (which happened quite a bit for the era - DePaul was in the middle of their Ray Meyer heydays) a graphic would be displayed that showed only 3 teams had EVER beaten DePaul on that court (which opened in 1980).

The 3 teams were UCLA, Notre Dame, and GONZAGA!!!!!! For you youngsters on the board, NOBODY outside the Pacific NW had ever even heard of GU back then - and most in the NW didn't know what it was. It would be like having 3 teams listed today as being the only 3 teams to win in some gym, and the 3 teams are Kentucky, North Carolina, and Quinnipiac University.

That being said, I still would have to vote for "The Runner" as #1.

TM27
01-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Not quite sure where these two rank; however, both were a blast...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmY-BXzMc5g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFpaK9gs0ZM&NR=1

Birddog
01-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Not the greatest but a milestone win was the 84/71 beat down of Clemson in the top of the World classic in 1997. Gonzaga arrived that season but got snubbed for an at large by the Tournament committee.

DixieZag
01-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Not the greatest but a milestone win was the 84/71 beat down of Clemson in the top of the World classic in 1997. Gonzaga arrived that season but got snubbed for an at large by the Tournament committee.

This is really what started the ball rolling that year, a very important regular season game. But it has to be the Florida game that really can't be compared to.

The two games in the '00 tournament to get us into the sweet 16 were also huge b/c the one year run was always thougt to be a fluke. That year went a long way to establishing our credibility as a rising program.

rennis
01-18-2013, 05:51 PM

Because of a loss to SF too!

But you are right. I came in here to say the exact same thing. That game is what started it all, despite the fact the Zags missed the 98 tourney and Clemson literally imploded that year. Nonetheless, Zags beat a top 5 team on TV. that was unheard of before 99...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

buenaparkzag
01-18-2013, 06:05 PM
GU over De Paul
49:48 final in Jan 1983

Oregonzagnut
01-18-2013, 06:08 PM
March 18th 1999. The only game in any sport I ever cried after. I jumped around for joy yelling and screaming for 5-10 minutes. My elderly neighbor came over wondering if I was hurt.

WILLYMCG
01-18-2013, 07:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFpaK9gs0ZM&NR=1

One of the few games i got to watch with a Zags crowd other than WCC tourney. Watched at a tavern on Capital Hill, DC and was welcomed by the crowd, particularly the CEO (I think) of Red Lion. What a fun bunch, particularly when compared to the rest of the DC crowd. And of course, what a finish. What ever happened to the guys who wanted a Pentagon tour?