PDA

View Full Version : Time to ask: Who will break out?

tyra
08-04-2007, 10:29 AM
I think most people (maybe not all) would agree that the jump in Jeremy's game last year was spectacular. So, how about this year? Who is going to make the biggest jump in performance and contribution among the returnees?

Zag509
08-04-2007, 11:09 AM
I am going to have to say Micah, but only because...

Bouldin has already showed us so much as a frosh

and

I cant even imagine if Pargo improved again as much as he did freshman to sophmore. (Wow)

I think Micah showed the least of what he is fully capable of doing last year due to his injury and having the whole 'baptism under fire' deal thrown on him.

jpwils
08-04-2007, 11:22 AM
I agree that Micah should get the nod.

Another candidate is Davis. We need a scorer down low.

Third spot goes to Sacre. Very promising future.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Bouldin w the caveat that a "breakout" year from him doesn't necessarily mean points, rather, consistently doing whatever the team needs. He may have a few high scoring games, but he'll make the big plays again and again: a key assist here, a big offensive rebound there, the pass that sets up the assist for someone else, posting up a smaller guard in a must-score situation, rotating over to pick up a charge etc.. Bouldin becomes the superglue for the Zags this year!

TheZagPhish
08-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Few.

Sure, he's not a player, but with the palette of talent he has and Ray G. bringing some new pepper to the table, I truly hope that Few has a breakout coaching year. It's an increasingly sophisticated calculus he has to work and I have faith in him to show us some real growth.

I don't know about the rest of you but I have a feeling that this will be a special year on many dimensions.

MBZags
08-04-2007, 01:59 PM
I agree about Micah too. He just has too much talent on both ends of the floor not to have a breakout year now that he's fully healthy.

maineblackbear
08-04-2007, 02:01 PM
depends upon how you define breakout-- if by that you mean national exposure it will be Pargo-- he has improved shooting (according to the reports) and he is a national-style personality with ESPN written all over him.

If by play only? Downs is an easy pick because of playing time; Josh is another one if the inconsistency is gone.

But I will take a frosh and say the break out player for GU this season will be Austin Daye. (that does violate the rules of the poll, because I know you mean improvement) --that being the case, I will stick with Micah.

mbb

BobZag
08-04-2007, 03:12 PM
1, Pargo
2, Bouldin
3, Downs
4, Josh

In that order, imo.

billyberu
08-04-2007, 03:25 PM
I like that list.

mendiant
08-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Few.

Sure, he's not a player, but with the palette of talent he has and Ray G. bringing some new pepper to the table, I truly hope that Few has a breakout coaching year. It's an increasingly sophisticated calculus he has to work and I have faith in him to show us some real growth.

I don't know about the rest of you but I have a feeling that this will be a special year on many dimensions.

I really appreciate your perspective on this question, Phish.

We never really tend to think of the coaching team that we have, it's all about the players.

I'll throw a vote behind your idea, but call it the coaching staff as a whole, not just Few.

I also really want to see Larry G have a great year.

Micah will feel at home and live his Zag-ness.

Pargo will become more polished.

Bouldin will continue to impress.

I expect Josh to proove it.

Pendo will be a great leader, which isn't really a break out role for him, as he stepped up so well in the latter part of last season.

MickMick
08-04-2007, 03:36 PM
This doesn't have to be narrowed down to an individual player. I think the team will break out. I expect this team to be much different than last year.

The national media hype never does seem to capture that point. An example is Adam Morrison. He was a great scorer and a great Zag. But he overshadowed some huge contributions. Batista was consistently great. Knight made momentum changing plays. The whole team was elite eight quality. Too bad Adam coudn't take the whole team with him to Charlotte.

We want to make a star out of one of them instead of all of them.

I remember watching a documentory about the Beatles. George Martin (http://websearch.cs.com/gw/boomframe.jsp?query=Beatles+Martin&page=1&offset=2&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3Dc d575adef9e24952%26clickedItemRank%3D1%26userQuery% 3DBeatles%2BMartin%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%25 2F%252Fen.wikipedia.org%252Fwiki%252FGeorge_Martin %26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DGWYTop%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2F George_Martin)(their most significant of several producers) kept looking for the "Elvis" in the group. He was looking for that star to focus in on. He wanted to settle on McCartney, but Lennon would consistently show his genious. Then he would hear a tune written by George. Then a tune by Ringo. Finally he came to the conclusion that the entire group was so talented, witty and entertaining, that it would be an injustice to focus in on just one of the members. That is when he realized the huge potential for the band. A potential that they (as a group) certainly lived up to.

Edit: In this respect the Beatles were rather revolutionary. If they had lived up to the typical template (ie. Bill Haley and the Comets), they would have been Paul McCartney and the Beatles.

The point is...I don't want to call this team Jeremy Pargo and the Zags. I just want to call them the Zags. We don't need the Kobe scenario (an extreme example..I know) here.

Another edit:

How can I qualify this post when I previously have said (in the "What will it take?" thread) that the Zag final four hopes were heavily dependent upon Pargo? I will requalify by saying that my viewpoint was from a position perspective as opposed to a player perspective. Similar to saying that a football team needs great play from the quarterback because of the decision making involved. So I will requalify my earlier remarks and say that the Zag point guard (in lieu of saying Pargo) must really come up big this season.

Bing
08-04-2007, 03:45 PM
I see David Pendergraft being the difference maker in 3-5 games (big games) this coming season.

In a couple of cases it'll be bigtime shots, and in a couple of other cases it'll be a key defensive stop.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-04-2007, 05:40 PM
This doesn't have to be narrowed down to an individual player. I think the team will break out. I expect this team to be much different than last year.

The national media hype never does seem to capture that point. An example is Adam Morrison. He was a great scorer and a great Zag. But he overshadowed some huge contributions. Batista was consistently great. Knight made momentum changing plays. The whole team was elite eight quality. Too bad Adam coudn't take the whole team with him to Charlotte.

We want to make a star out of one of them instead of all of them.

I remember watching a documentory about the Beatles. George Martin (http://websearch.cs.com/gw/boomframe.jsp?query=Beatles+Martin&page=1&offset=2&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3Dc d575adef9e24952%26clickedItemRank%3D1%26userQuery% 3DBeatles%2BMartin%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%25 2F%252Fen.wikipedia.org%252Fwiki%252FGeorge_Martin %26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DGWYTop%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2F George_Martin)(their most significant of several producers) kept looking for the "Elvis" in the group. He was looking for that star to focus in on. He wanted to settle on McCartney, but Lennon would consistently show his genious. Then he would hear a tune written by George. Then a tune by Ringo. Finally he came to the conclusion that the entire group was so talented, witty and entertaining, that it would be an injustice to focus in on just one of the members. That is when he realized the huge potential for the band. A potential that they (as a group) certainly lived up to.

Edit: In this respect the Beatles were rather revolutionary. If they had lived up to the typical template (ie. Bill Haley and the Comets), they would have been Paul McCartney and the Beatles.

The point is...I don't want to call this team Jeremy Pargo and the Zags. I just want to call them the Zags. We don't need the Kobe scenario (an extreme example..I know) here.

BUMP BUMP BUMP
Love the Beatles analogy

ZaggyStardust
08-04-2007, 05:54 PM
I agree with the "team theme" as well... I think playing time is going to be handed out based on performance - and I think we have a whole "team" of very competitive young men so I expect them to ALL bring their "A" game every time on the floor. I also believe that if the coaching staff can exploit the other teams weaknesses with the different strengths of our very talented group, well lets just say we could seriously make some noise this year. Geez - is it November yet???? My patience is waning!

Oh, and my vote goes to Micah... But I think LG will surprise us, and I think Theo will do the same as he REALLY has something to prove! Pargo and Pendo will shine - Ira will surprise us all.... wow - did I forget to mention Josh, Austin, Stephen, Rob.... and KUSO!!!! And everyone's favorite cheerleader Mr. Sorensen who I bet is consistently one of the hardest workers in practice!!!! TURN THE CLOCK AHEAD...

GO ZAGS!!!!!

tyra
08-04-2007, 10:06 PM
I didn't ask my question very well. By "breakout", I meant the biggest jump in overall performance. If BobZ is right, and Jeremy has the biggest jump (over last year) well then he is gone for sure at the end of the season. I'm going to go for the traditional sophomore jump as say it will be either Matt or Micah (effectively a sophomore). But I am also half expecting to be surprised and delighted by how it really plays out. :)

Nevtelen
08-04-2007, 11:48 PM
I've gotta go with Micah because 1) he'll have dramatically increased minutes (probably) over what he played overall last year (probably similar to the mins he played late last season) and 2) he'll be comfortable with the team and has a 1/2 season of organized ball under his belt after sitting for a long while. Those two things will combine to give him a big jump in production.

As far as Pargo, I think he'll improve, but his point totals will stay about the same. I expect his assists #s to go up with all the weapons the team has now, though.

ZagManFan
08-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Who do I want it to be? That would be LG. I remember back when he and Pargo were freshmen and I went to an early scrimmage and came out thinking that LG outperformed Pargo. His intense pressure on D was amazing. He has been through a lot already and I truely hope he can earn at least 10-15 mintes a game this year because I think he will be a great addition to the Defense.

Who do I think it will be? Micah then Pargo. The only reason for that is becasue PArgo showed us plenty last year. IF he can duplicate that increase then......wow. Micah should fit right in and not be pressing so much during games. I know he wanted to start out strong and make a big impressision on Zagnation last year and seemed to be rushed a bit. A more relaxed Micah could mean big things for him this year. PLus that should give Pargo a few more assists on the year.

pbriz
08-05-2007, 12:37 PM
I agree with micah should and will have more of a "breakout year." He should be playing the 3 and 4 at times and just get a quality 20-25 min of playing time day in and day out i would say.

If i had to pick a wild card it would be Sorenson. That kid works very hard and has alot more talent than some may give him credit for. Pargo, Bouldin, Gray.... Sorenson at guard? We may run some big lineups but Sorenson seems to have a really nice back-door cut and some 3 point range, plus the biggest heart of any player since probably Ronny. Even if he only gets 5 min a game I think he could really raise the level of play of those around him, if not his own performance.

Zag79
08-05-2007, 08:18 PM
i hope its bouldin. pargo is pretty much there, micah with the minutes will do what we know he can, and matt had great moments last year but played like the frosh that he was at times as well. im expecting a big difference in him from last year to this one.

Larryzag
08-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Based on the end of last year I would say Micah. I expect him to get 15 points and 6 rebounds a game. I hope LG also has a breakout year. We need his defense. Hopefully his offense has improved.

RenoZag
08-05-2007, 09:43 PM
I hope it's the two headed Beast in the middle, Sacre - Foster. . .somebody has to help Josh with the Windex. . .

dim4sum
08-06-2007, 09:05 AM
With so much talent, Few has to be careful that the distribution of playing time doesn't create dissension. The worse case scenario would be warring camps, where members of one camp just can't play with those in the other.
Lack of a cohesive team framework has ruined many teams, regardless of sport.
On another matter, from what I see, Austin has to start from day one. It's a no-brainer. Kuso doesn't deserve to start simply because he is a senior and started last year in an undermanned front court.

brasszag
08-06-2007, 09:21 AM
In terms of national exposure breakout I'd expect it be Pargo and Heytvelt - they're both stars in the making (if they want to be - as they've got the star-type charisma and court presence), but in tems of actual value to the team, I'd say Bouldin and Downs are more important.

If Bouldin takes his "good games" and starts stringing them together, and Downs contributes his overall game night in and night out they will be a fearsome 2 and 3 for anyone to keep up with for shotmaking, hustle and rebounding.

CDC84
08-06-2007, 09:52 AM
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=697760

Rivals is doing a countdown thing on the top college teams since the 64 team tourney format came into place. Although way more talented than Gonzaga will be this year or at any time in the near future, the 95/96 Kentucky team is a classic example of how to handle a large rotation of talented players from a coaching standpoint. That team had 6 first round draft picks on it.

BTW - #2 and #1 will be the early 90's Duke and UNLV teams...it just a question of which order they'll put them in.

Zag509
08-06-2007, 10:03 AM
As i stated in my first post I think it will be Micah.

The Wildcard however has to be Will Foster. If he gives us 8-10 minuets a game (or more???)that would be a huge improvement from last year, and a big boost to the team. In just 10 minuets I could see will getting 2-3 rebounds, 1-2 blocks, and a bucket or so, it may not sound like a ton but it just screws up the other team so much, as we saw last year.