PDA

View Full Version : Exactly what we needed???

DixieZag
01-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Any easy win on the road that doesn't tax us too bad is fine with me.

Nice to see the shots falling from deep. Give Butler a little to think about.

RBing was better in the second half.

Very mediocre defense. Oh, well.

Wish that PK and Gary would be a little more in sync offensively.

Thoughts?

gamagin
01-17-2013, 09:03 PM
everyone got all kinds of handles, looks, shots and action. and no one got hurt.

U Zig, I Zag
01-17-2013, 09:05 PM
About what I expected. I really think we are sicker than is (publicly) known. Colds/flu, etc. This is prob what the Dr ordered.

Excited that some guys off the bench got some PT.

Butler is gonna be fun on Saturday.

raise the zag
01-17-2013, 09:07 PM
still can't believe we're playing a Top-12 team cross-country less than 48 hours after playing an AWAY game.

I love that we're doing it, I just can't believe it.

Damn TV contracts and the WCC.

primal23
01-17-2013, 09:07 PM
PK still looks like he feels terrible, how he gets better soon!

allnet59
01-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Did Gary Bell play tonight????? I wish he would be more offensively motivate. We are going to need him to be make some big plays in the weeks to come

bartruff1
01-17-2013, 09:14 PM
I think this was just what the doctor ordered....I also think they will beat Butler a lot easier than many expect....Edi got going, Barham gained some experience and had some success..

Mantua
01-17-2013, 09:38 PM
Gary Bell had relatively few minutes. Still hurt? I think Coach was trying to rest him tonight.

btzag
01-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Any easy win on the road that doesn't tax us too bad is fine with me.

Nice to see the shots falling from deep. Give Butler a little to think about.

RBing was better in the second half.

Very mediocre defense. Oh, well.

Wish that PK and Gary would be a little more in sync offensively.

Thoughts?

The huge drop-off from GBJ, PK, Dower, Edi and Dranginis over the last 5-6 games is very concerning for me. Yes, I know, I know, we have won all those games and KO, Harris and Pangos are playing at a high level but our strength is quality depth and if five of your key players are basically non-contributors...that is not good. Especially GBJ, Dower and PK.

CDC84
01-17-2013, 09:49 PM
GBJ is still hurting. It's obvious to me. He's grimacing...regularly.

I think Zag fans need to accept that the makeup of this team is such to where they just aren't going to blow out many teams by 30. They don't have the personnel of the 2008/09 team, the 2003/04 team, etc. But the team knows how to manage games and generate wins. In some ways I like it because the team doesn't have too many highs or lows.

realtydog
01-17-2013, 09:55 PM
that didnt feel easy to me---they got it to single digits in second half---we didnt "coast" in my opinion----pulling starters with 2:30 left is not "easy" game

DixieZag
01-17-2013, 09:58 PM

I think Zag fans need to accept that the makeup of this team is such to where they just aren't going to blow out many teams by 30. They don't have the personnel of the 2008/09 team, the 2003/04 team, etc. But the team knows how to manage games and generate wins. In some ways I like it because the team doesn't have too many highs or lows.

The consistency in terms of workmanlike performances is very reassuring. Despite our whailing to the contrary about "let downs" there has not been one where they have given up a big lead - close, but not giving it up, on Baylor, SCU and SMC they were able to not let themselves get behind and stay behind - - OSU was just a tough game and they toughed it out, I still can't believe that they won that one.

This team does seem quite mentally tough and I like the phrase about "knowing how to win."

I am concerned about GBJ - realize that he is not healthy but have to wonder about whether this is the type of injury that just will not get better this season, and yet I still believe that he COULD turn it on much better if he needed to and did not need to concentrate so much on d.

I wish that PK could have had a decent game in terms of shots dropping, he has been scouted now and teams know his moves, not getting the easier looks he got in the second half.

I do not think that they will have an "easier time than people think" at Butler. If Butler's star is out they will rally around that cause, Butler needs this game and we KNOW they will bring max effort.

Key to game against Butler seems to me to be timely defense/turnovers, limit TOs on our part (something they have done fairly well this year compared to past years) and hitting those outside shots when needed - - feel safe to say we will get scoring inside.

Radbooks
01-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Hmmm, holding a team from scoring for the final 7 minutes of the game seems like a pretty good defensive effort to me.

DixieZag
01-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Hmmm, holding a team from scoring for the final 7 minutes of the game seems like a pretty good defensive effort to me.

I was referring to the small "let downs" allowing some good runs. Overall your point is well taken, we did keep them under 50 - nothing to sneeze at.

WallaWallaZag
01-17-2013, 10:08 PM

probably could have won easier and closer to 30 had harris simply made his shots tonight...he was pretty aggressive which was nice to see but he was just a little off on everything. he should have been at least 10-16 instead of the 5-16 that he put up.

on another note, the lack of confidence in dranginis on his perimeter shot is alarming...he had a reputation as a sharpshooter coming in

CDC84
01-17-2013, 10:29 PM
Kyle Dranginis is simply not getting enough minutes, and when he comes in, it shows. I'm not arguing that he deserves more minutes, but with his inexperience, you can't just throw him into the fire and expect top notch play. He looks like a different player than earlier in the season when he was playing more. He hasn't played consistently enough to even hit a freshman wall.

allnet59
01-17-2013, 10:38 PM
Kyle Dranginis is simply not getting enough minutes, and when he comes in, it shows. I'm not arguing that he deserves more minutes, but with his inexperience, you can't just throw him into the fire and expect top notch play. He looks like a different player than earlier in the season when he was playing more. He hasn't played consistently enough to even hit a freshman wall.

Kyle and others seem to know they are on a short leash. He literally gave up good shot opportunities and th en dribbled into a turnover. This game is all about confidence but you know those certain players that almost look nervous when they make that first mistake that gets them pulled. I do belief that's why we have lost several players to transfer the past few years. Manny saw the writting on the wall and moved on to a better situation so did Gibbs

HenneZag
01-17-2013, 10:53 PM
So frustrating to watch. You know this kid has game, when KD gets into a flow it's fun to watch him move on the court, very crafty on how he slashes through the lane, and he has exceptional court vision. No consistency because he dosen't have the chance to be consistent yet with the minutes he is logging.

He passed up a WIDE open 3 and essentially just gave the ball away to Portland. He needs to fire that ball up and get some swagger going. These are the games where he should be getting some good minutes.

Baseline
01-17-2013, 11:41 PM
I'm very worried about Belle and how bad he might be hurting. If I was Few I would be getting as much time for KD as possible. I think the kid has it in him to be very good, but not shooting when he is open will relegate him to the bench.
Dower seems to going backward. I dred seeing him come in any more and am very nervous about him being the main man next year.

How many open Scholarships are open after the 2 recruits already signed?

allnet59
01-17-2013, 11:56 PM
I remember watching Sam his,first time on the Zags court in the team scrimmage. He seemed to have all the tools to become one of the zags best players. He has had a few break out scoring nights the past couple of years but he is such a liabiity on defense, his lack of rebounding and just plain hustle is difficult to watch. He's the type of player that needs to have a fire lit under neath him to get some valuable minutes. I hope he finds that fire soon.

Reborn
01-18-2013, 06:12 AM
I agree with this game being exactly what we needed. It was an enjoyable game to watch. The Zags are a very confident team. I really liked how hard they worked on defense. Great effort. And did you see Barham hitting those 3's. Wow!!! Maybe we have found our Ninja shooter, Mr zone buster. I loved how our guards stepped up last night and hit all those 3 pointers. It was like, "Yeah? You gonna back off us? Here is what you will get when you do. Bamb...bamb...bamb. Bell starts it off with a nice three-pointer. Then 3 three's in a row by Pangos. Then 4 by Barham and one by Edi. Oh by the way, Edi looked so much better last night. Wow! If he gets his game back that will be awesome.

BJZags
01-18-2013, 07:47 AM

This! When KD comes in, it almost looks like he's afraid of the ball and passes it quick like he was playing hot potato or something. Agree with another poster that he seems to do better with the slashing stuff.

dnj116
01-18-2013, 08:26 AM
This! When KD comes in, it almost looks like he's afraid of the ball and passes it quick like he was playing hot potato or something. Agree with another poster that he seems to do better with the slashing stuff.

Agree with the KD analysis. I was yelling at my tv for him to shoot the ball multiple different times when he was wide open! These are the chances he needs to take. Even if the shots didn't fall, it would have been appropriate for him to take them. Certainly appears to be a confidence issue, IMO. He is going to be an integral part of this team sooner rather than later. The talent is there, he just needs to get it going when he's in the game.

On the other hand, Barham took his opportunities when presented, and he got more minutes as a result. When players come in and play with a lot of passion, hustle, and drive when given the chance they are rewarded by Few (e.g., Mike Hart). Because of this, Barham may have passed KD in the rotation for role-playing minutes. Hard to tell who is better between KD and Barham, and in many ways I think KD is capable of being a better all-around player. However, that said, Few will defer to the player who gives their best effort and produces when given the chance, and that player has emerged as Barham, at least for the time being.

I like both players and what they bring to the team, I just wish KD would be more assertive when he's in the game. Until he does that, he will continue to see a more limited role.

gamagin
01-18-2013, 09:34 AM

Why doesn't KD shoot the ball when it was so clear the plays were set up for him to shoot ? It's like lamenting that the Portland defender, too, didn't give him time to dribble, but, rather ruined his effort to dribble by stripping away the ball. That's the reality of not paying attention.

MF has said he sends in Zags off the bench for specific tasks they've worked on in practice & expects them to be ready. The purpose is to execute. Or try.

Barham & Few we're waiting for a zone. In went Barham when the zone materialized and viola. had he fidled around he'd be sitting in a NY minute.

The notion that time is what's needed instead of reaction & response misses the point of practice & the Zag method of gaining p.t., that goes back as far as Few.

bballbeachbum
01-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Zags shot the ball 14 more times than PU. Of GUs 31 misses they rebounded 15 of them. 1st half PU dared the perimeter to score, they did. 2nd half the paint was more available and GU pounded. Pretty balanced offensively. Bell only shot twice because there was no need for him to shoot it more with other matchups providing so much imo; he did hit the game's first 3, nice tone setter, and it's not like he sulks when GU doesn't run O for him, and GU doesn't but instead lots for KO, E, SD, PK and KP. Nice to see KP finding the range on the road, and early, he's playing some great basketball these days on both ends of the floor

different road test tomorrow obviously