PDA

View Full Version : Video and story about 2013 commit Ryan Edwards

ZagNative
01-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Good to see Glacier and its big man doing well on the season, per this Fox story (http://www.abcfoxmontana.com/sports/The-Leader-of-the-Pack-187192071.html). Seems like a nice, modest kid who will be a great Zag.

The Leader of the Pack: Ryan Edwards

The Glacier Wolfpack boys are 8-1 to start the 2012-13 basketball season. They currently hold the number one spot in the AP polls and that;s in larger part to their big man in the middle Ryan Edwards.

"We do have Ryan in the middle he's a force both offensively and defensively. Ryan's got a great game he has worked hard on his post moves with his back to the basket, he's got several moves he can go to he can finish with his right or left hand and he's got great touch," said Glacier Head Coach Mark Harkins.

College scouts went hard after Edwards not only because of his dominating size but because he has great footwork and soft hands.

"It's a lot of fun playing with Ryan you can almost throw the ball up anywhere his hands are awesome and passes don't have to be perfect," said Glacier senior Logan Iverson.

Edwards, who committed to Gonzaga before his senior year, says he doesn't want the lime light and all he wants is the hardware.

"You know what just kind of working with the team, you know I don't want to shine brighter than anybody else I want to win the state championship overall more than anything," said Edwards.

If Glacier wants to win their first state championship it will be in large part because of Edwards who teammates say makes everyone else on the team better

"Well obviously Ryan is a guy that other teams have to prepare for if anything he just opened the game up for everyone else and makes everyone else's job that much easier," said Glacier point guard Evan Epperly.

Edwards sat out the first couple games of the season with an injury but is getting back into shape and will be a dominate force the rest of the season.

Birddog
01-17-2013, 05:20 PM
he's got several moves he can go to he can finish with his right or left hand and he's got great touch," said Glacier Head Coach Mark Harkins
This is my favorite part of the article.

WallaWallaZag
01-17-2013, 05:41 PM
anyone know what his numbers look like on the year??? there's been a lot of concern on this board over the numbers being put up by the other incoming recruit, meikle i believe it is...

ZagNative
01-17-2013, 05:56 PM
anyone know what his numbers look like on the year??? there's been a lot of concern on this board over the numbers being put up by the other incoming recruit, meikle i believe it is...I haven't been able to find his numbers on the year, but I hope his game against Columbia Falls on January 10 (http://www.dailyinterlake.com/sports/local_montana/article_ccddb912-5bbd-11e2-967c-0019bb2963f4.html) is representative:

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/dailyinterlake.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/5/c6/5c6f8d7a-5bb0-11e2-9476-001a4bcf887a/50efa40bbdab0.image.jpg

Wolfpack senior Ryan Edwards (left) puts up a shot over Columbia Falls’ Jared Trinastich (35) Thursday night during Glacier's victory at Columbia Falls.

COLUMBIA FALLS — Forced to slow down the pace for most of the game, the Class AA No. 3 Glacier boys used their superior height and length to fend off Class A No. 3 Columbia Falls 67-42 in a nonconference basketball contest Thursday evening.

Glacier got center Ryan Edwards going early, feeding the 7-foot senior in the post, where he picked up six points in the first quarter. Edwards was strong on the defensive end as well, picking up three blocks in the opening period.

“I thought for the first time this season we really got Ryan involved early and he responded very well,” Glacier coach Mark Harkins said.

Edwards finished with a season-high 15 points, along with eight rebounds and four blocks.

“It was his best game of the season, no question,” Harkins said. “He did well, but the kids did a good job of finding him as well.”

raise the zag
01-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Meikle and Edwards, our only 2012 recruits, are BOTH averaging around 8-9 ppg. Single digits as GU recruits in their Senior season, and I'm not making this up.

Meikle's last two games he's scored 5 and 2 pts, respectively.

Edwards season-high was 15 pts, while the tallest player he's faced was 6'8". He generally scores around 6 or 7 pts, 6 or 7 rebs, and 2 or 3 blocks.

Not knocking, just stating the stats.

No denying that both prospects are currently having very disappointing Senior seasons.

Ever since they committed to GU, they have not progressed as players, if anything, regressed.

They're each likely headed for a Red-Shirt season, which is a bit concerning, since Kelly Olynyk was just listed as a mid-1st Round pick(#18) by NBADraft.net's latest January 17th Mock Draft. By all accounts, KO has every intention of declaring for the draft this season, if he's considered a 1st Round pick.

Combine this with all the recent transfers and flat out weak 2012 class, not to mention losing Elias and Hart, our depth takes a serious hit.

What the heck is Plan B IF Olynyk declares and Meikle and Edwards are complete misses?

Zagdawg
01-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Coleman and Angel (mid year) coming in too---plus who knows if we get a surprise commit before the start of next year.

Sky is not falling yet....step away from the edge.

thespywhozaggedme
01-17-2013, 06:45 PM
I haven't been able to find his numbers on the year, but I hope his game against Columbia Falls on January 10 (http://www.dailyinterlake.com/sports/local_montana/article_ccddb912-5bbd-11e2-967c-0019bb2963f4.html) is representative:

Body by Karno. lol

thespywhozaggedme
01-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Coleman and Angel (mid year) coming in too---plus who knows if we get a surprise commit before the start of next year.

Coleman is 6'1, 6'2 tops and Nunez is a 6'7 skinny wing. How do eith of those guys address our "bigs" situation?

SteelZag
01-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Coleman is 6'1, 6'2 tops and Nunez is a 6'7 skinny wing. How do eith of those guys address our "bigs" situation?

I realize photos can be deceiving, but have you ever seen the roster photo of Coleman standing next to Pangos and Edi. He seems to be clearly taller than Pangos and not much shorter than Edi. Like I said though, it is just a photo.

Zagdawg
01-17-2013, 07:09 PM
You are correct --we have no 4/5* bigs coming in next year.

Karno and Dower are our two primary bigs---many on the board have decided that Kelly is gone--fortunately he and his family make that decision (which they could very well decide he is ready).

Some folks don't like how Edwards progressing---he still has time to work on his game--don't write him off yet---we know he will not be replacing Kelly if Kelly decides to jump to the NBA--but he will be backing up Karno/Dower.

There is plenty of time for the staff to find a JC big or Euro or another option --i am sure they are thinking about what they will do if Kelly jumps.

If the Zags continue on their current W/L path there is a good chance that something may pan out in the bigs dept.

Some consider it a "situation" and the end of the world--i'm content to trust that the staff understands who they expect to have on scholly next year and are addressing the expected holes accordingly.

ldszagfan
01-17-2013, 08:07 PM
You form a game plan around what you got. So what if we don't have a lot of bigs? Let's throw out a 4 guard lineup like Mizzou did that one year (was that last year or the year before?). Whoever we have, Few will only play the best players on the court regardless of whether they're a "big" or not. If Edwards and Meikle need some time to develop, they'll get it and we'll work around it.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-17-2013, 08:16 PM

Did Coleman shrink again?

btzag
01-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Single digits as GU recruits in their Senior season, and I'm not making this up.

Meikle's last two games he's scored 5 and 2 pts, respectively.

Edwards season-high was 15 pts, while the tallest player he's faced was 6'8". He generally scores around 6 or 7 pts, 6 or 7 rebs, and 2 or 3 blocks.

Not knocking, just stating the stats.

No denying that both prospects are currently having very disappointing Senior seasons.

Ever since they committed to GU, they have not progressed as players, if anything, regressed.

I think the point of your post is correct but you've got your stats wrong on Meikle. In his last four games as of today (1/17) he has scored 19 (1/4), 17 (1/9), 7 (1/11) and 12 (1/16) for an average of 13.75. In those games B Prep is averaging 47.75 as a team so he's scoring just shy of 30% of his teams points.

VinnyZag
01-17-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm content to wait until after this season before I start worrying about next season.

WallaWallaZag
01-17-2013, 10:01 PM
i'm thinking we can expect the zags to bring in either a juco or euro big even if kelly ends up staying next year (and maybe both if he leaves).

hooter73
01-17-2013, 10:31 PM
i posted in a different thread but I went back through all the stuff on Mielke and he is a good get. Can score all over the court, good IQ, just needs the weight room and coaching. probably redshirt into a 3/4 player. He'll be ok by the time he starts playing for us.

Coleman, Nunez and Im hoping Draginis will all be good to go next year. it'll be different but we've played with lesser lineups before. Karn and Dower are no Kelly and Harris, but they'll step into the limelight when its all their show. Still gonna have our guard duo and one more year of Stockton too who Im hoping will remember that he can in fact shoot the ball his senior year.

roxdoc
01-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Yikes - did somebody suggest a 4 guard offense. Is Coleman too tall to be a munchkin?

HenneZag
01-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Obviously the staff knows the situation. If the fans are well aware of the possible situation or lack of depth next year, I am positive the staff is :).

It will be interesting wheter we get another possible transfer/JC/or Euro guy. Hopefully with KO's and EH success we can attract some nice prospects as well. Would be great to see 2 GU guys go in the same draft...although I would like to see KO 1 more year. WIll see.

ZagsObserver
01-18-2013, 06:26 AM
Sometimes you get lucky by offering early; sometimes the opposite is true. Edwards was offered as a project - can't fault them for that as you can't teach height. As per Luke, I'm still scratching my head

DixieZag
01-18-2013, 06:40 AM
I think we have gotten a bit spoiled with our depth (me first and foremost) but we should remember that we are very lucky to have Karno who I believe will get better and better with more playing time.

I sure like that Glacier kid personally, seems like a wonderful fit as a person. I am a bit concerned about him being 7ft and laying it up from right underneath, those tend to get blocked if you don't go up strong.

I do believe that a Euro or a Juco makes total sense though those don't grow on trees.

dnj116
01-18-2013, 07:12 AM
A lot of good posts on the subject, thus far. However, I think Edwards may turn out to be a good project big. Based on his stats and the limited video I've seen, he likely won't come in right away and make big contributions, but he certainly has potential with the soft hands and height. The more time he has to hone his game, the better he'll get. He certainly seems to have the drive, anyway.

Zagcity
01-18-2013, 07:23 AM

You brought tears to my eyes this morning thanks :lmao:

titopoet
01-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Kelly O is heading for AA honors. Not too long ago the Naysayers were question him. Heck when he signed, many said it was a waste of a scholarship. (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2009/4/14/838292/2009-2010-kelly-olynyk) So, who to trust? Staff or naysayers? Kelly Fans what to know.

However, I remain skeptical that Olynyk's skill set will ever translate to this level. Hopefully Kelly proves me wrong, but at this point, I am not holding my breath.

Now we have a another 7 footer that the staff is excited about but the fan base, not so much. Again, the question of trust. History give us food for thought.

ZagNative
01-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Kelly O is heading for AA honors. Not too long ago the Naysayers were question him. Heck when he signed, many said it was a waste of a scholarship. (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2009/4/14/838292/2009-2010-kelly-olynyk) So, who to trust? Staff or naysayers? Kelly Fans what to know.

Now we have a another 7 footer that the staff is excited about but the fan base, not so much. Again, the question of trust. History give s food for thought.Excellent post, Tito.

hooter73
01-18-2013, 09:52 AM
The problem I have with JuCo or Euros coming in is that Harris being the exception, none of them ever seem ready to contribute right away. Its a band aid that doesn't really fulfill the immediate purpose. Weve been through this before with having no real center with Josh H and Austin D, a one sided defensive great, but offensivly limited Sacre (backed by Foster...), Karno and Dower with Edwards in the wings will be just fine. The team strategy will have to adjust just as it did this year in getting the ball to the bigs, It will maybe go back to being a little more guard oriented.

WRHUradio
01-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Agree on thoughts about Smeikle, it just seems like he is a long way away
from being at the level of player GU really needs
Edwards I like, you can see why the staff went after him
7'0 and NOT that skinny with touch, hands, some athleticism does not grow on trees.
If Edwards was from California he probably is super hyped up
I thumbs up this signing big big time.

Agree that this spring they need to bring in a great addition, I'm going with the assumption that Kelly O is gone

G Pangos
G Bell
G Coleman
F Dower
C Przemek Karnowski
I think they have the potential to not have that much of a dropoff as we
are thinking because all these guys will have 1-2 years under their belts and you hope they improve 10% in their games to withstand the guys lost
Bench
Dranginis- should be better I think and next year should be a guy that
will be a strong player
Stockton- we know what he can do and should be steady
Barham- I think we saw last night that once he is comfortable moving forward he will be an asset vs most teams on the schedule, all except the Top 25 teams on the docket
Nunez- I think by the time he gets going after 1st semester it will be tough for him to be consistent so it will be a flash every so often we see from him
Edwards- probably has to play though Id love to Redshirt him to seperate
years between him and PK
Meikle- Must redshirt I cannot see any reason why he plays next year

2 Open schollies are significant
Needs- 1 athletic 6'5 wing in the GLE Mode, thus why they are looking
at Frazier. right now they have a big hole in this spot
1 athletic BIG to at least be the 3rd big ahead of Ryan Edwards
They have to find another Elias Harris, which we know how difficult that will be especially for a guy that is good right away

maynard g krebs
01-18-2013, 11:41 AM
When UW signed Todd MacCulloch, he had one other offer- Nebraska. In a story on him in one of the Seattle papers after he became a star, it was said that the 6 freshmen in his class went over to Seattle Pacific for a pickup game in the fall of his freshman year. One of his teammates was quoted in the story as saying that MacCulloch was the worst player he had ever seen, and couldn't even run up and down the court.

He went on to lead the NCAA in fg% 3 years in a row, averaged over 20 and 10 his last year, played in NBA before a nerve disorder ended his career.

Ray G was a UW asst. when they signed MacCulloch. Edwards is said to be similar at the same stage of his career.

Anything can happen. More likely Calum McLeod (sp?) than MacCulloch, but who knows?

CDC84
01-18-2013, 11:54 AM
You can't teach someone to be a 7 footer.

I've said this before and I will say it again....if this kid loves the game, he will one day be a highly effective player at Gonzaga. I've never seen a 7 footer at the college level who didn't love the game not turn into a good player at some point.

gamagin
01-18-2013, 11:55 AM
You can't teach someone to be a 7 footer.

I've said this before and I will say it again....if this kid loves the game, he will one day be a highly effective player at Gonzaga. I've never seen a 7 footer at the college level who didn't love the game not turn into a good player at some point.

Foster.

sittingon50
01-18-2013, 12:17 PM
You'll find the same thing in BraveHearts (r.e. Jeff Brown transfer)

"Davis (Jarrod) told anybody that would listen that Brown would be a 3 time All-West Coast Conference player at Gonzaga. But everybody, including Few, was mortified when they watched Brown in pickup games.
Say's Goss, 'A lot of guys were like, why the hell did they bring this joker over here?'
'He was horrid', Davis said. "The guys are looking at me like, 'We don't want this guy.'
Davis had his stock response:'Trust me. You think he has 7 points & 4 boards, and he has 25 & 12.'

p. 82 (proper punctuation optional).

I guess time will tell, eh?

Oregonzagnut
01-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Foster.

He is playing pro ball now. So he must like basketball. I hope. But Foster is an enigma to me. I think he was so tall that everyone thought or said basketball had to be his profession. But I think his whole life people saw his height and didn't see the real him that he saw, or that he didn't really want to be 7'5". I tend to see Foster as a kid who just went along for the ride but possibly felt the 7' 5" was more a curse than a blessing. The expectations must have been tough through jr high, high school and college.

Growing up, I can't imagine how hard it would be with physical appearance that is unique and out of the ordinary.

Zagdawg
01-18-2013, 12:31 PM
In his defense---Foster did have one of my favorite blocks of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tNtkT6aGsQ

hooter73
01-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Is he even playing ball anymore? Last I followed him was when he packed up and left Europe in the middle of the night.

I agree that he was told to play ball more than he wanted to play ball.

ZagNative
01-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Is he even playing ball anymore? Last I followed him was when he packed up and left Europe in the middle of the night.

I agree that he was told to play ball more than he wanted to play ball.Plays in D-League for the Sioux Falls Skyforce. Profile (http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/will_foster/index.html?nav=page).

ZagNative
01-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Report from last night's game, Glacier v. Whitefish (http://missoulian.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/boys-basketball-hot-handed-grant-leads-st-ignatius-by-charlo/article_85bcf824-6138-11e2-b58b-0019bb2963f4.html):
Class A

Kalispell Glacier 91, Whitefish 60

At Whitefish, Ryan Edwards scored 25 points, Bryan Michaels had 22 and Kalispell Glacier ran off with this non-league battle of ranked teams.

Robzagnut
01-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Can't wait until next year when we see Karno and Edwards walking into opponent's gyms side-by-side with all their fans thinking about Coach Few:

"Where does he get all those wonderful toys?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA5II5AlO7w

titopoet
01-18-2013, 02:36 PM
The problem I have with JuCo or Euros coming in is that Harris being the exception, none of them ever seem ready to contribute right away. Its a band aid that doesn't really fulfill the immediate purpose. Weve been through this before with having no real center with Josh H and Austin D, a one sided defensive great, but offensivly limited Sacre (backed by Foster...), Karno and Dower with Edwards in the wings will be just fine. The team strategy will have to adjust just as it did this year in getting the ball to the bigs, It will maybe go back to being a little more guard oriented.

Ronny and big Karno. The only reason Karno is not dominating (yet) is he is playing behind the biggest breakout player in the country. Expect Karno to make a huge leap next years. Seeing Kelly's transformation up close and know if he puts in the work, the NBA skies will open for him as well.

23dpg
01-18-2013, 02:47 PM

I don't know why we even wasted a scholarship on Batista.:D

hooter73
01-18-2013, 04:48 PM
I don't know why we even wasted a scholarship on Batista.:D

Drat! Ok besides Batista, Harris, and good two months of Carter... :)

Oregonzagnut
01-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Juco transfers and Euros are apples and oranges IMO. No comparison. Batista was a rare winner. IMO, it is better to have a senior with 4 years experience in our system than only 2 years in the system . JUCO seniors are just getting used to the ropes of Few's program and they know they must perform NOW.

This is why I feel that regardless of skill and physical athleticism, it takes 4 years to get the most out of the entire package of a program. 4 years with your fellow team mates, the coaching staff and the conference style of play. Juco's IMO run into the same learning curve, sophomores run into. It is about being in your second year in a system. Shortcuts rarely work in life, and I am not sold on JUCO transfers.

Euros (international) are a completely different animal. John Rillie, Axel Dench, Ronny Turiaf, and Elias Harris are internationals! Look at Delly! Euros are not raised in the same system as we are but at least they have 4 years to get our system. Most euros are raised in sports "clubs". They remain amateurs but they compete for a city or corporate organized club for their age group while they go to school. I would much rather gamble on a Euro for 4 years than a JUCO for 2 years.