PDA

View Full Version : Delly vs. Morrison

Zag 77
01-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Who was higher on the hate meter in the WCC? As for "do anything to win," is Delly in the same league as our own beloved John Stockton?

I almost forgot about Samhan.

Oregonzagnut
01-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Finally a thread I can relate to.

It is a love/hate thing for me about Steve Nash. He always killed Zags dreams. My Zag dreams anyway. Great player but I hated him at the time. Doug Christie comes to mind too, great player but the killed our 1992 season and our NCAA bid.

MDABE80
01-17-2013, 01:51 PM
HATE? It's such a nasty word. Currently used too much.

BULLDOG#1
01-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Morrison was so cocky and trouble making -- he'd point at the crowds and blow kisses and stuff -- he must be the most hated.

He could back it up most of the time, but it was way overboard in my opinion...dropping thirty on a home team is enough of a dagger, he shouldn't have mocked the crowds.

Schmitty
01-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Kerry Keating

Zagdawg
01-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Someone remind me the game where Morrison had more points than the other team combined going into the half-- the students started a "Adams winning" chant.

That's got to piss some folks off.

Oregonzagnut
01-17-2013, 03:16 PM
HATE? It's such a nasty word. Currently used too much.

I think nastiest is the most nasty word though. jk....

I agree, hate is used to much, but if I had to reserve it for ONLY the rarest of occasions it would be:

Samhan and his gang gestures and overall general cocky attitude. (at least Adam could back it up)
Doug Christie for destroying Gonzagas chance at their first NCAA tournament.
and.....at this point, Delly.

If we want a kinder more gentile GUBoards, I would have to go with "Who do we have the most rankling" for?

23dpg
01-17-2013, 03:21 PM
I don't get it. I love Delly, think he's a great player and wish he was a Zag. Seriously, I don't get it.

gaels87
01-17-2013, 03:43 PM
I've been following your board for at least 5 years now and the disdain you all had for Samhan has to top any recent opponent/individual. The same can be said on our end from Morrison :)

Oregonzagnut
01-17-2013, 03:50 PM
I don't get it. I love Delly, think he's a great player and wish he was a Zag. Seriously, I don't get it.

Its not literal. Maybe thats what you don't get. Its because he is a great player and he ruined our streak. I do not "love" any of our opponents even though I can admit they are superb players or a great team. That is why I am not going to take literally that you "love" him. Although you might literally love him and want him near you. But IMO you love Delly's basketball skills. I don't think you have ever spent anytime around him or know him personally. I could be wrong. Delly could be a total jerk if you knew him as a person. Do you know him as a person? You love Matthew Dellavedova? More than Pangos or any Zag?

But the thread is not about literal hate IMO. Come on...

I've been following your board for at least 5 years now and the disdain you all had for Samhan has to top any recent opponent/individual. The same can be said on our end from Morrison :)

99% of it depends on what end of the W/L column we are on. No true hate from me for Samhan. Just his actions and antics. He had his day in the tournament for sure. But Morrison was disliked in some ways nationally due to his sheer shooting ability, over-rated or not, his injury killed his career, he was not a bust as a rookie.

DixieZag
01-17-2013, 04:06 PM
I am nearly certain that if we had Delly that he would be one of the most beloved Zags and same goes for SMC and Morrison. Samhan on the other hand. . . j/k

I am nearly positive it is impossible for any player to rise to the level of Morrison - - he was POY in the nation and an All-American, plus the individuality (stache, socks, attitude) and he was a killer of opponents, Delly has certainly gotten under our skin but no way does he rise to the level of Morrison.

I don't like Delly, I saw the elbows he threw at GBJ and KO in the last game. I respect the hell out of him. But, I would love to have him on our team which is the ultimate compliment.

Mantua
01-17-2013, 04:39 PM

Me too! I think he'll be fun to watch as a pro.

He only played the Zags in the NCAA Tournament, but Jimmer was very annoying just because the commentators and the fans ran his name into the ground.

My votes go to Samhan and Kerry Keating.

Ekrub
01-17-2013, 05:22 PM
I hate delly. Coming from A zags fan, I think that's the highest honor I can bestow on an opposing player.

teacher56
01-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Delly Rocks!

willandi
01-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Delly Rocks!

Aren't those in Australia?

ZagsObserver
01-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Delly is no Morrison. He could do it all - just took over a game. As for a hate meter, Morrison's theatrics probably did little to facilitate love between other teams

Zags11
01-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Morrison by a mile in regular season play. In Post Season, it is Adam by 12 miles. Delly is a no show in Ncaa Tourney time. Ive posted this numerous times how he is bad factually come March.

Delly vs my man Blake Stepp is more comparable.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-18-2013, 04:17 AM
Adam was hated over the entire country. Delly is barely known outside of the WCC.

Adam wins the "most hated" contest by a mile.

bartruff1
01-18-2013, 05:04 AM
I don't get it. I love Delly, think he's a great player and wish he was a Zag. Seriously, I don't get it. Me to....love to watch him play...my kind of player...I believe he will play in the NBA for quite a while...Morrison...not so much....can't think of a player I hate....... ever...I even enjoyed Samham....

SteelCityZag
01-18-2013, 05:13 AM
No hate for Dellavadovada. Kid can flat out ball and other than that unfortunate, goofy, funked up looking mouthpiece, he's a solid kid. He's a great player. Doesn't look like a gamer, but he is. Only knock on him is that he gets away with slapping his non-dribbling hand at defenders too often...but the same could be said about a lot of great players.

jake
01-18-2013, 06:50 AM
In the league I think Morrison is first, Samhan second, and Delly is a ways down the list. In an opposing team fan kind of way, I like to make some cave man and mouthpiece comments about Dellavedova, but on the court, other than being good, and having a good forearm push, he doesn't really do a lot that incites me. Morrison and Samhan both did things to incite the opposing team and fans. Combine that with their skills, at least on Morrison's part ;), and you get players that were loved by their fans and hated by opposing fans.

teacher56
01-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher56
Delly Rocks!

Aren't those in Australia?

This one is.

77Zag
01-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Kerry Keating

Let's not forget Rexy -- the 0-5 in WCC Rexy

Agreed with previous comments -- Delly is not even close to Adam.

UberZagFan
01-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Yes, Delly is not close to Morrison on the hate meter across all of the WCC. GU/BYU fans may have a disdain for some of Delly's antics but mostly it's just the annoyance of watching an opposing player beat you in several different ways on the offensive end. Morrison did that too but he also threw in a lot more taunting antics. And Morrison was "hated" across the board in the WCC by the likes of not just SMC but also USF, LMU, UP, etc. Not sure fans from those other schools really have any issues with Delly.

As for nationally, not sure where the belief comes from that Morrison was hated outside of the WCC. Seems to Uber that it was the opposite. Uber recalls the nation being transfixed by the Redick v. Morrison battle.

Zag 77
01-18-2013, 09:22 AM
On Patchin's local radio show a proprietor of the establishment where Bennett brings SMC for dinner every year said that the SMC players are all polite gentlemen who are very nice to him and his staff. Delly spends time with kids who want to meet him. Samhan told him that the posturing was just an act to help psych jimself up, and the proprietor said he was nothing like his on-court persona.

77Zag
01-18-2013, 09:28 AM
On Patchin's local radio show a proprietor of the establishment where Bennett brings SMC for dinner every year said that the SMC players are all polite gentlemen who are very nice to him and his staff. Delly spends time with kids who want to meet him. Samhan told him that the posturing was just an act to help psych jimself up, and the proprietor said he was nothing like his on-court persona.

Sounds like a Delly Samhanwich - I'll take mine on rye

tobizag
01-18-2013, 09:42 AM
i hate when gonzaga fans adopt the endearing nickname of our rivals' fan base for their best player.

in my lexicon, he's either dellevadova, mouthguard, bilbo, or butt face.

every time a GU fan refers to that clown by his friendly nickname, a bulldog puppy goes into a pound with no chance of adoption.

Robzagnut
01-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Morrison by a mile.

Morrison was a rock star for a year. Kobe came to watch him play. He was on the cover of Sports Illustrated. College Gameday guys wore staches on TV. Morrison filled WCC gyms to the rafters. Remember the SF gym where they were sitting in the aisles and he went off for 30 in the first half? The groans turned to oohs and ahhhs after he kept shooting 3's from deeper and deeper.

It was a wild ride and is still my favorite time as a Zag fan. Which, is why I also broke my remote control and had to leave my house and walked for 3 miles to cool down after the UCLA loss. That team was special and Morrison and his antics made it so.

surfmonkey89
01-18-2013, 10:22 AM
I "hate" Dellavadova, but I don't really hate him.

Now Samhan...

bartruff1
01-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Burgess was my cup of tea...class act all the way...different time maybe.. different culture...

JPtheBeasta
01-18-2013, 10:28 AM
i hate when gonzaga fans adopt the endearing nickname of our rivals' fan base for their best player.

in my lexicon, he's either dellevadova, mouthguard, bilbo, or butt face.

every time a GU fan refers to that clown by his friendly nickname, a bulldog puppy goes into a pound with no chance of adoption.

Points taken. In light of his histrionics on the court, how about Dellavadiva?

Butt face does have a certain poetic ring to it, though :]

Fonebone
01-18-2013, 11:39 AM
My neice went to school at St. Mary's and came to "hate" the Zags. And she really meant it. She hated the Zags.

She was a freind of Sanhams - not too close but hung out some. At first she thought he was ok, but later came to consider him a real jerk. Those were her words.

I didn't like some of Adam's antics, but I don't think he acted out nearly in the same degree as Sanham. I thought that Sanham really acted in a classless way fairly regularly. Sanham really seemed like a jerk, and he used it on the court, but I don't buy that it was just an "on court persona." Thats not what my neice said. Even in his TV interviews Sanham often came accross very poorly. Morrison seemed fine in those.

Delly - I love the guy. I think he comports himself very well, especially on the court. when that phantom jump ball was called at the end of our recent game, he was beside himself, but I thought he handled himself well - he acted extreemly frustrated, but he did not project a whining attitue at the ref. I have never seen any actions by him on or off the court that made me think he was a jerk.

To the question - Adam was the most hated by a mile in my opinion.