PDA

View Full Version : Jared Cunningham

BobZag
08-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Gonzaga would be in his top-2 if all schools offered right now. UCLA being the other one. A very nice kid, a very nice family, real down to earth, and Jared is always working on improving his game.

More later on this Gonzaga recruit.

MickMick
08-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Sounds like Zag material to me :)

BobZag
08-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Jared is currently working with a personal trainer to gain strength and size. He is addressing the weakest aspects of his game by working on shooting off the dribble, his mid-range game and consistency from three. (Right now, when he's hot he can't miss but there are dry spells in-between) He seems determined to just get better and better. A real humble kid, Jared is being watched by most Pac-10 schools (ASU, Cal, Stanford, UCLA, UO, OSU, etc.) and teams far away like Georgia Tech.

He and his family watched the Zags when Adam played, plus they were impressed by how Raivio played last year. They also know that Pargo is a good one. They are well aware that Gonzaga is on TV every game--lots of ESPN games--and San Leandro is just a drive away from six of the WCC games in Cali.

I'll post more soon.

Baldwinzag
08-04-2007, 09:25 AM
There are a number of extremely talented guards on the west coast in the 2009 class, one of whom is San Leandro (Calif.) High School standout Jared Cunningham. The 6-foot-3 Bay Area native is a true combo guard with great versatility. On Monday, he received phone calls from several programs, including Arizona State.

"I also heard from Santa Clara, and they offered me a scholarship. It felt awesome."

"I love it," he said of the recruiting process. "I love getting the phone calls, hearing from coaches about their programs and learning more about the schools."

The No. 69 ranked overall prospect in the 2009 class by Rivals.com, Cunningham is coming off a sophomore season in which he averaged 12.1 points and 4.1 rebounds.

"I want to take a number of unofficial or official visits but I'd like to make my decision by next July," Cunningham said.

"Academics, the climate, the coaching style and playing style are what I'll be looking at. I like to get up and down the court and I like somewhere that's hot and relaxing.

"I'm really open. I really don't have a favorite right now."

Nevtelen
08-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Hmmm... "somewhere hot and relaxing..." Make sure he has his visit in early September! Or talks to Ronny. :) We have the rest of that stuff down, I'd think.

MDABE80
08-04-2007, 09:34 AM
"Academics, the climate,.............." Uh oh..........we'd better find the guy who convinced Rony that Spokane's climate is like Paris.

BobZag
08-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Summer school weather. Is 100 hot enough?

Meanwhile--

"At this point, I'd say Gaddy is better [than Jared]. I have him as an
elite, high major (UNC, Duke, Kansas, etc.), while I have Jared as a
high major (most of Pac-10, excluding UCLA and Arizona).

"However, Jared has the kind of upside that it wouldn't surprise me if he
makes that jump to the next level. This next year will be big for him in
terms of his development." -Greg Hicks

If Few & Staff do one thing as good or better than anyone in the country, it's develop players, guards in particular.

Back on July 4th at UCLA's Elite Skills Camp--

Jared Cunningham, 6-3 JR PG/SG San Leandro (Calif.) High. Cunningham is another one of those players that gets you excited as a scout. All the physical signs are there and his skill level has improved in the past year. Cunningham caught the attention of Coach Howland in one shooting drill. The players were supposed to shoot a couple jump shots from about 16 feet. But after Cunningham made a couple, Howland told him to keep going. Cunningham proceeded to knock down 13 straight. He’s still maturing physically, so it’s still a little difficult to project exactly what kind of player he’ll end up. He needs to continue to improve his ball-handling and he could be a little more assertive and physical. I don’t think he knows sometimes just what he’s capable of doing on the court. As he matures, I think he’ll start to become aggressive and look to dominate opponents.

ZagNut08
08-04-2007, 09:36 PM
I would be very very excited to get him signed up. Right now he seems like our best shot, and the type of player Gonzaga CAN get. There has been talk of not getting elite, elite players...but top 100 is always fine with me. I like our odds because he may not be UCLA elite, but still a darn good player. Also, with UCLA being stacked in the gaurd department that could bode well for us. However, with Gibbs and possibly another gaurd in 08, that may hurt our chances a bit.

BobZag
08-05-2007, 09:57 AM
At this early stage, it's next to impossible to discern what the pecking order is for 2009 and 2010. I can only "assume" that Cunningham is very high on the wish list, but maybe CG Anthony Marshall is #1. Or there could be a kid from the midwest that we least expect it to be. Either way, Cunningham is a player I find easy to get back, as is Marshall and Haws. As for Brendan Lane, he could end up being the Josh/Daye player of the class, if Few were to reel him in. What fans have to realize, schools miss out on recruits far more than they get them. Duke, UNC, etc., whiff a lot more than they strike gold. Zags are no different. Sadly, GU could miss on both Bellarmine kids. If GU were to get, say, Cunningham and Haws/Marshall and Lane, that's not stepping down, imo. It's not getting the in-state guy(s) instead.

A run to the FF could change just about everything, though.