5. The Pit, New Mexico
6. Breslin Center, Michigan State
7. Koch Arena, Wichita State
8. Petersen Events Center, Pittsburgh
9. Carrier Dome, Syracuse
10. Rupp Arena, Kentucky

zag67
01-16-2013, 08:20 AM
That is a great list to even be in. Way to go ZAGS.

77Zag
01-16-2013, 08:31 AM
What about McKeon Pavilion?

Guess that goes on the list of top 10 garages or quick lubes to play in.

Go Zags, Beat Portland!!

Birddog
01-16-2013, 08:37 AM
I'm surprised Gallagher/Iba isn't on the list.

BroncoZAG615
01-16-2013, 08:41 AM
I'm surprised Gallagher/Iba isn't on the list.

Not disagreeing with you because I haven't been there but didn't a booster have to buy an absurd amount of tickets to be sure the game against Gonzaga sold out this year?

I get that there are a bunch of factors that make up a great home court advantage but a consistently packed house (especially with a solid product) seems like it would be a greens fee to be on the list.

DADoZAG
01-16-2013, 09:01 AM
:clap:

Go ZAGS!

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-16-2013, 09:07 AM
McKeon Pavilion was a tougher place to play before they fixed the lights. It was awfully hard to shoot in the dark.

TexasZagFan
01-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Not disagreeing with you because I haven't been there but didn't a booster have to buy an absurd amount of tickets to be sure the game against Gonzaga sold out this year?

I get that there are a bunch of factors that make up a great home court advantage but a consistently packed house (especially with a solid product) seems like it would be a greens fee to be on the list.

It was New Year's Eve. IIRC, we've had attendance shortfalls at the Kennel during Christmas breaks in the past.

I was at Iba on 12/31. I would say the place was 80% full, and it was LOUD, especially during the 2nd half. OSU's home record against ranked opponents has been remarkable.

KStyles
01-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Ok State averaged 9,239 per game over 15 MBB games (http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2012.pdf) in Gallagher-Iba last season. With a capacity of 13,611, it seems they don't fill the arena to capacity for most of their games.

Gallagher-Iba did get one vote when King, Katz, O'Neil & Fraschilla did a poll last month (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8712505/king-court-examines-kentucky-point-guard-void-scours-nation-college-basketball):

THIS WEEK'S POLL

Ranking the best home-court advantages in the country (voters: myself, Andy Katz, Dana O'Neil, Fran Fraschilla), ordered by total points with number of first-place votes in parentheses:

1. Allen Fieldhouse, Kansas (3): 39
2. Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke (1): 37
3. Assembly Hall, Indiana: 24
4. Carrier Dome, Syracuse: 23
5. The Kennel, Gonzaga: 18
6. Viejas Arena, San Diego State: 17
7. Rupp Arena, Kentucky: 16
8. The Pit, New Mexico: 14
9. Breslin Center, Michigan State: 8
10. Koch Arena, Wichita State: 6

Also receiving votes: Peterson Events Center, Pittsburgh, 5; Kohl Center, Wisconsin, 4; Bramlage Coliseum, Kansas State, 3; McKale Center, Arizona, 2; Bud Walton Arena, Arkansas, 2; Gallagher-Iba Arena, Oklahoma State, 1; CFSB Center, Murray State, 1.

Birddog
01-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Ok State averaged 9,239 per game over 15 MBB games in Gallagher-Iba last season. With a capacity of 13,611, it seems they don't fill the arena to capacity for most of their games.

Last year's team was not so good. Hate to label OSU fans as "fair weather" but with the way their football team was playing (great) and with the crappy ooc opponents last year it was to be expected. The Thunder is cutting into the fans too but more in Norman than Stillwater. Football BCS schools are having a tougher time filling the BB stands these days because of seasonal overlap and scarce leisure $$. Throw in a Bowl game and the travel costs for fans and add a pro team in the area and you have a problem.

Still, the New Years Eve game was pretty raucous. It was also the day before the football team was in a bowl game with an early kickoff and the game overlapped a Thunder tipoff in OKC.

The days of an always filled G/I are gone for a while.

WallaWallaZag
01-16-2013, 04:55 PM
ability to sell out no matter the opponent was listed as one of the criteria...zags don't ever have that issue...

the more interesting poll to me was the one below the best places to play...the one about best "X's and O's" coaches...coach few didn't get a single vote.

ConnZag3
01-18-2013, 07:37 PM
I can't believe the Carrier Dome makes that list. Basketball in a football stadium is never an enjoyable experience. Don't understand how a place like Hinkle Fieldhouse or the Dean Dome doesn't make that list when fans consistently pack those places and those are true basketball arena.

Having been to 4 of the top 10 though, I do agree with Allen Fieldhouse as #1. The crowd there is wild and passionate and the history you see when you walk into the hall of fame there inside the arena is incredible.

It's too bad we'll never see the Zags play @ Cameron since Coach K only schedules patsies or St. John's or Temple to play non-con games at home...