PDA

View Full Version : USC rumors: Leon, Dan, Kerry?

jazzdelmar
01-15-2013, 10:10 AM
UPDATE: According to this tweet by Dave Telep of ESPN's Recruiting Nation, another name USC could consider is Syracuse's long-time assistant Mike Hopkins. Way back in May 2007, it was announced that Hopkins would become Jim Boeheim's successor, but no timeline was put in place and five-and-a-half years later Boeheim is going strong and has the Orange ranked No. 6 in the country.

---
In case you missed it from earlier, USC announced this morning that Kevin O'Neill is out as coach after a disappointing 7-10 start to what was supposed to be a promising season for the Trojans. Longtime assistant Bob Cantu will assume the interim role as the coaching search begins, the school announced.

The news is not entirely surprising, however the timing is, and it'll be interesting to see where USC goes from here. Depending on how the season ends up, Cantu could conceivably stay on as the head coach, but that seems unlikely.

More probably, the school will use the next couple months to start identifying coaching targets to pursue once the season ends in March. Just speculating here, but some strong possibilities could include Leon Rice at Boise State, Dan Monson at nearby Long Beach State and Santa Clara's Kerry Keating. All three are West coast coaches with their programs on the rise, and each has a reputation as a quality recruiter.

We'll be sure to monitor this closely and keep you posted when more names appear on the radar. The key for USC will be to find a coach that can provide more stability while also finding a way to win games. Under O'Neill, the Trojans have had their share of bad luck in recent years but they've also relied on a steady stream of incoming transfers, which has made it next to impossible to develop any sort of continuity or team chemistry.

sittingon50
01-15-2013, 10:19 AM
I would be surprised if Leon or Dan would be interested in that one.

I would be surprised if they are interested in KK.

BobZag
01-15-2013, 10:41 AM
I would be surprised if Leon or Dan would be interested in that one.

I would be surprised if they are interested in KK.

I know Leon would jump at it in a heartbeat. BSU is a stepping stone for him.

jazzdelmar
01-15-2013, 10:43 AM
randy b wd be a great pick. time for him to leave that place. he seems bored.

whatazag
01-15-2013, 10:48 AM

I can't believe he hasn't seen more interest for coaching openings. To my untrained eye, seems like an outstanding coach. Maybe he has been approached a lot and just decided to stay at SMC, I don't know.

rennis
01-15-2013, 10:49 AM

just a hunch, but guessing USC's goals and Randy's recruiting and scheduling practices are something of a mismatch.

hooter73
01-15-2013, 11:06 AM
just a hunch, but guessing USC's goals and Randy's recruiting and scheduling practices are something of a mismatch.

lol :D

FlyZag
01-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Me thinks RB is quite happy in Moraga. Probably similar to Few in Spokane. He is embraced by his community, values his family first and is comfortable & stable in his program (recently signed a 10yr contract). He also turned down Utah recently. Utah at least has been BBall relevant within recent history. USC, not so much.

But then again, maybe there are some looming sanctions that will chase him out... who knows.

77Zag
01-15-2013, 11:27 AM
KK would be a good fit -- he would do well in that environment. The glamour, the glits, the LA scene. His suits would look even nicer.

As for SCU, they can return to a program with a classy coach again by replacing KK.

VinnyZag
01-15-2013, 11:28 AM
USC has lots and lots of money. Any of the coaches mentioned in this thread would be interested, particularly Bennett and Rice, one would think.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Just speculating here, but some strong possibilities could include Leon Rice at Boise State, Dan Monson at nearby Long Beach State and Santa Clara's Kerry Keating. All three are West coast coaches with their programs on the rise, and each has a reputation as a quality recruiter.

Did I just read the terms "Kerry Keating," "programs on the rise," and "quality recruiter" used together in context? :explode:

Ekrub
01-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Boise State was quickly becoming my second favorite team. Will be hard for me to root for rice at USC

SteelZag
01-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Here is Andy Katz's take on the USC coaching dilemma with Mark Few's
name being mentioned once again.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy

77Zag
01-15-2013, 11:59 AM
No steelhead in the LA river...

SteelZag
01-15-2013, 12:09 PM
As long as we are mentioning former GU coaches. Here is another blurb by Katz.

Few coaches have been beaten down by a crisis that they had nothing to do with more so than San Diego's Billy Grier (see: point-shaving scandal) and still survived. The Toreros are 3-0 in the WCC after sweeping a road swing to USF and Pepperdine.

Also a comment on Kelly Olynyk.

Who had Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk as the WCC MVP in the preseason?

SteelZag
01-15-2013, 12:12 PM

Few isn't going anywhere. I just like the fact that anytime there is a coaching vacancy, Mark Few's name is almost always the first one mentioned.

combatcorpsmangulaw
01-15-2013, 12:22 PM
USC is a very wealthy school. Any coach there has been given a signed check and told to fill in any number he wants --- JUST WIN!!!

USC doesn't care what amount a coach is paid --- but, the ground rules are simply: Win at all costs.

Hence, recruiting violations are almost a given.

rennis
01-15-2013, 12:43 PM
If Katz is right and those are the coaches USC goes after, I nominate Lavin. I can't imagine a better fit, and the dude knows how to recruit SoCal already.

MDABE80
01-15-2013, 12:46 PM
Leon would be great for SC. A no nonsense guy who is strong in coaching skills yet is a very good recruiter. He'd do well. Lots of money there it's not like UCLA where every breat you take is scrutinized. I like him in Boise though. Good oney and he can build what he wants for the long term.
IF BZ is correct however, it might be a good opening. SC is right in the middle of the street gamers paradise. UCLA....less so. I'd bet Leon could find who he wants. Big money (private too) would generate a very healthy program with Leon at the helm.

CDC84
01-15-2013, 12:48 PM

Problem is, his program is under NCAA investigation right now. As much as USC and NCAA investigations seem to go hand in hand, that fact alone will probably not make him appealing to Mr. Hadan.

Besides, he doesn't win the press conference, and USC wants a guy who will win the press conference. Sad but true.

sittingon50
01-15-2013, 12:51 PM
may wait for the WSU job to open.

Alum.

Way better lifestyle.

Proximity to his "mates" in Spokane.

DADoZAG
01-15-2013, 12:53 PM
may wait for the WSU job to open.

Alum.

Way better lifestyle.

Proximity to his "mates" in Spokane.

And it can't be long, can it?

Go ZAGS!

Zag 77
01-15-2013, 12:58 PM
KK is years behind the hotshot timeline he set for himself when he came to Santa Clara. However, he has a crappy record (even throwing out last year) even if he can recruit. KK does not even have as good a pedigree as the guy USC just fired, O'Neill.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-15-2013, 01:19 PM

The cupboard could become pretty bare in Moraga once Delly moves on. Hermanson and Neal are nice recruits, but I don't think either will make major contributions right away. Time to strike while your iron is still hot, RB.

NotoriousZ
01-15-2013, 01:33 PM

Yeah there are, but they're of the three-eyed varity.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_D2zwjHf6Cd4/R5vypc7FzDI/AAAAAAAAAgo/6EXR8s3JFmI/s320/250px-Blinky.jpg

http://www.professorbainbridge.com/.a/6a00e55019789788340133f2cd2eae970b-320wi

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-15-2013, 01:49 PM

There's a river in LA? ;)

OZZY
01-15-2013, 01:49 PM
As long as we are mentioning former GU coaches. Here is another blurb by Katz.

Few coaches have been beaten down by a crisis that they had nothing to do with more so than San Diego's Billy Grier (see: point-shaving scandal) and still survived. The Toreros are 3-0 in the WCC after sweeping a road swing to USF and Pepperdine.

Also a comment on Kelly Olynyk.

Who had Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk as the WCC MVP in the preseason?

I did, and I was actually serious....

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Me thinks RB is quite happy in Moraga. Probably similar to Few in Spokane. He is embraced by his community, values his family first and is comfortable & stable in his program (recently signed a 10yr contract). He also turned down Utah recently. Utah at least has been BBall relevant within recent history. USC, not so much.

But then again, maybe there are some looming sanctions that will chase him out... who knows.

I don't know that Coach Bennett's situation is as ideal as Coach Few's. For one thing, his school still has not given him the resources he needs to sustain the program at a high level. They had plans to upgrade the stadium, but those plans faltered. They don't have the unlimited travel budget that Few has.

He also has yet to elevate his program to the national profile that Mark Few has achieved at Gonzaga. They don't get much national t.v. exposure. He still can't seem to get the higher profile national programs to play his team out of conference. He's always fighting the dreaded "bubble" on Selection Sunday. He looks like he is about one bad recruiting class away from falling back into obscurity the way Pepperdine and Pacific did about ten years ago. That is a shame, because he is a very good coach. If I was the AD at St. Mary's, I wouldn't be all that certain that he's going to be there if a better offer comes along.

DixieZag
01-15-2013, 02:47 PM
It would be inconceivable to me that Bennett would be hired prior to a conclusion of the investigation by the NCAA unless it was well established that there was no violation or a very minor one.

I have never for a moment thought that Bennett is dirty. But, without a result from the investigation, Pat Haden would be operating totally in the dark. I just don't think they would be willing to do that.

As someone else mentioned, if Bennett were thinking of SMC as a "step" he probably would have gone to Utah. Good school, history, resources and league - - probably a better job than SC.

Also curious why people think that the well is nearly dry there? I thought that SMC had some good recruits coming in, one from NM??? Am I wrong about that?

zagmantis2001
01-15-2013, 03:13 PM
This is not directed to anyone in particular, but the comment just compelled me to post.

Someone should outlaw the use of "me thinks".

It reminds me of the comic book guy on the Simpsons.

BobZag
01-15-2013, 03:39 PM
This is not directed to anyone in particular, but the comment just compelled me to post.

Fine! Attack me! See if I care, you methinks-hater. :p

maynard g krebs
01-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Not 100% positive, but think Bennett also said no thank you to Oregon State before they hired Robinson.

Norcalzag
01-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Bennett and Grier were both offered the job at OSU before it was offered to (and accepted by) Craig Robinson.

kitzbuel
01-16-2013, 09:17 AM
So are Rice and Grier from the Few tree or the Fitz tree?

rennis
01-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Have you been to Corvallis? Yeah, I wouldn't take that either.

sittingon50
01-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Grier from Fitz.

I'm thinkin' Rice is from Dean Nicholson (sp?).

FlyZag
01-16-2013, 09:27 AM

Me thinks that your comments were directed at me!

:doh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Book_Guy

UberZagFan
01-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Did Katz really include LoRo in a list of possibilities to consider later? Of course the chicken fits in the category of "coaches that may leave before they get fired", but why would USC be interested in another pac12 coach that has had mediocre success?

cjm720
01-16-2013, 12:51 PM
So are Rice and Grier from the Few tree or the Fitz tree?

Both

sittingon50
01-16-2013, 01:38 PM
I believe Leon may have worked some Zag summer camps back in the day, but he didn't show up 'til Dan M. went to Minny, everyone else moved up a seat, & Leon filled the open spot at the end.