PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few radio show noon Mon., w-Tom Hudson on 1510

gamagin
01-14-2013, 11:54 AM
hope it is archived.

Good News: One of the best I've heard. LOTS of questions. Bad News: I was running a snowblower so nowhere near a pen and pad.

That said, here's what stuck.

PK has had the flu & that's why he didn't see much p.t. vs. St Mary's. Re GLE, Few said his lack of p.t. should not have "too much read into it." Said GLE needs to be a little more aggressive, board more etc., to get more P.T.

Then MF said this at least 3-4 times: "You (generic you, meaning everyone has) got to realize, we have a deep lineup, we have a number of top players and the result is there likely will be less p.t. to go around."

Then asked about SD, Few said essentially the same thing (re p.t., strength of lineup, etc), noting that SD took quite a while to get over his flu (adding PK now has the same thing), that SD was weak as a result and only slowly getting up to speed.

Alot of discussion re Butler, but only caught a few snippets.

He lauded the coach, the program, the big time atmosphere, the ESPN Game Day crews, the buildup, and said Butler is very well known for rebounding and the Zags have got to get in there and outrebound them. MF said he considered our beating Butler last year as one of the best games of the year and added this year's game will be important, too.

Re portland, missed most of the q & a, but the GPrep grad (now with Portland) was mentioned as a star & praised by MF. Few added that GU was going to sleep in portland, fly to Butler the next day, have a practice on Friday night, and face Butler Saturday.

EH, interviewed, was asked about PK, ,how EH might be helping him adjust, etc,: "he's doing a good job on his own. smart. faster and more physical in US. That's what I had to learn and he is learning quickly.

EH re Butler: "looking forward to it absolutely.
re game day at Butler/ESPN: "more like a saturday evening. the hype around it we aren't involved in."
what do with time off?: "sleep in. that's about it.
how important is the break?: EH: for me doesn't seem like it. it's flying by for me. off days and little breaks nice, but they fly by."

gamagin
01-14-2013, 12:05 PM
A lot of praise for KP. paraphrasing MF: He took the (SMC) game on his shoulders and got it done. Hart and Stocks put in good minutes, too. But KP stepped up and took over at just the right time. Showed real leadership.

said Dickie V was going to be the lead announcer at Butler and something like "You can't get any bigger than that."

Said there was an amazing difference between a regular game and an ESPN game day game due to the number of game day staff, interviews, action and interest buzzing around the game all day long. (editors note: I think the coaches are contractually obligated to be available more than normal, and it's possible someone like Few might have agreed to additional appearances/interviews).

MF noted that ESPN game day is also celebratory for all the basketball fans in the nation, as well as those watching it unfold. I think he said his kids love all the celebration, too, (I took this to mean whether at home or at a game day event -- not clear to me).

MF sounded to me like he, too, had a cold or the flu, though nothing was said. I could hear "someone" coughing slightly away from the mic a few times. Hudson also called for a commercial break during one of those coughing spells. I suppose its possible it wasn't Few coughing, but my guess is it was himself. (wait. Maybe my snowblower was annoying THEM)

gozagswoohoo
01-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Awesome, thanks for the recap!

Was there anything at all said about GBJ?

cjm720
01-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Thx, Gam!

maynard g krebs
01-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Interesting about Dower and the flu. Wonder when he got it. Because the first 8 games he had averaged 5.6 rebounds in 21 minutes; the last 9 he has averaged 2.1 in 15 minutes.

Sometimes this board goes overboard in criticizing certain players, without regard to illness, injuries etc.

Section 116
01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Thanks Gamagin, good recap. You must have had more snow than me if you were using your snowblower. We only had about an inch up here on the north side where I am, and I used a manual snowblower, aka, a shovel. LOL!

gamagin
01-14-2013, 03:38 PM
woo: I didn't hear anything bout GBj, but I didn't hear the whole show. Certainly deserved attention.

Maynard: First I heard SD had the flu was late in the previous run up thru Pepp. My guess is few was saying he hasn't snapped back completely. fwiw, imo, it looks that way, too.

116: was helping a couple neighbors who were hoping everything would melt off before it froze solid. They were wrong.

anyone: with my limited abilities, I googled as far as 1510 radio spokane and found the noon Mark Few program listing. Could not find any archive of it. Maybe one of you with higher intelligence and IQ's (Zagnative ?!?) can find the audio archive. If it exists.

gamagin
01-17-2013, 03:07 PM
tune in

ZagNative
01-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Thanks, Gam!

RenoZag
01-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks again for the recaps from the radio shows ( throughout the season ). Appreciate hearing the bits & pieces that don't make it into Meehan's or Blanchette's coverage.

BEAT THE PILOTS !