• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thegloriousgoateeofKP
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Jul 2007

Finally Going to The Kennel!

Hi everyone…long time reader, first time poster.

Quickly, I’m a senior at Mizzou, from St. Louis. When my Tigers got knocked out in the 1st round of the ’99 Tourney, I decided I needed to choose another team to support for the rest of the tournament. I decided on this team I’d never heard of with a cool-sounding name and AWESOME royal blue uniforms. Then came Stanford and The Runner, the heartbreak against UConn, and pretty soon, The Zags replaced the Tigers as my #1 team. I’ve watched every Zags game I’ve had access to and have traveled to see them on a couple of occasions (the win over Florida St. and loss to Syracuse in Buffalo, the loss to Jimmer Fredette in Denver, this year’s W over OK St., going to Saturday’s game in Indy, etc.)

However, I've always wanted to see a game at The Kennel…and this year, I have my chance. 4 friends of mine and I are going to leave Columbia, MO for Montana on Tuesday the 22nd. 1 of them is from Chicago but goes to school in Missoula, and 2 others will be staying there. My brother and I are going to continue 3 hours further west to see the BYU game on the 24th. So, if any of you might be able to offer some advice on: driving through the Rocky Mountains in late January, what “musts” we should do/see in Spokane, or how I might be able to get 2 tickets (I realize that’ll be tough), it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you and Go Zags!

Trevor
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

Musts:

Stockman's Bar in Missoula

Jack & Dan's Bar & Grill in Spokane

Check Craigslist for tickets.

There is modest ticket re-sale activity outside of the arena before games...
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• ZAGGED OUT
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Mar 2012

1. I'd be prepared for a drive probably longer than 3 hours given winter conditions

2. Craigslist is usually your best/only option, be ready to drop some $$$

Comment

• Oregon Zag
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Feb 2007

Going to Jack and Dan's is a must do while in Spokane. Talk to Big Ed at the bar. He's a big Zags fan (as is everyone else in there). Game day is very busy with lots of Gonzaga shirts walking around.

The Red Lion Bar and Grill on Division is another good place to go. They do catering for the team and also cater for the visiting team sometimes. We were there one night when the St. Mary's team and coaches walked through. I doubt that BYU will, though. Who knows?

Have a great trip. Spokane is a friendly place to visit. I hope you enjoy your stay!
        Oregon Zag

Comment

• MTZag03
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2012

Driving

I'm from Missoula and went to GU for 4 years, so I've done a LOT of driving back and forth.

1. Unlike horrible places to live like Seattle (lived there 6 years), there are snow plows along the route, so more often than not the roads are pretty good. The only time it will be really bad is if there is an active blizzard. Sometimes there can be quite the change from MT to ID though given the different plowing jursidictions.

2. Snow tires and NOT rear wheel drive. I've done it without snow tires and 4 wheel, but prefer snow tires.

3. If someone with Washington plates goes past you 20 miles an hour faster than you, that doesn't mean that it's safe to go that speed.

4. Slow down once you pass St Regis, there are some crazy corners coming up. Basically this is from mile marker 33 to 22.

Comment

• gamagin
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

+1

Originally posted by MTZag03 View Post
            I'm from Missoula and went to GU for 4 years, so I've done a LOT of driving back and forth.

1. Unlike horrible places to live like Seattle (lived there 6 years), there are snow plows along the route, so more often than not the roads are pretty good. The only time it will be really bad is if there is an active blizzard. Sometimes there can be quite the change from MT to ID though given the different plowing jursidictions.

2. Snow tires and NOT rear wheel drive. I've done it without snow tires and 4 wheel, but prefer snow tires.

3. If someone with Washington plates goes past you 20 miles an hour faster than you, that doesn't mean that it's safe to go that speed.

4. Slow down once you pass St Regis, there are some crazy corners coming up. Basically this is from mile marker 33 to 22.
            Nice dig in #3. That's an Idahoan driving a car stolen in WA !
            Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
            Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
            Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• kitzbuel
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by left-wingwordking View Post
              Hi everyone…long time reader, first time poster.

Quickly, I’m a senior at Mizzou, from St. Louis. When my Tigers got knocked out in the 1st round of the ’99 Tourney, I decided I needed to choose another team to support for the rest of the tournament. I decided on this team I’d never heard of with a cool-sounding name and AWESOME royal blue uniforms. Then came Stanford and The Runner, the heartbreak against UConn, and pretty soon, The Zags replaced the Tigers as my #1 team. I’ve watched every Zags game I’ve had access to and have traveled to see them on a couple of occasions (the win over Florida St. and loss to Syracuse in Buffalo, the loss to Jimmer Fredette in Denver, this year’s W over OK St., going to Saturday’s game in Indy, etc.)

However, I've always wanted to see a game at The Kennel…and this year, I have my chance. 4 friends of mine and I are going to leave Columbia, MO for Montana on Tuesday the 22nd. 1 of them is from Chicago but goes to school in Missoula, and 2 others will be staying there. My brother and I are going to continue 3 hours further west to see the BYU game on the 24th. So, if any of you might be able to offer some advice on: driving through the Rocky Mountains in late January, what “musts” we should do/see in Spokane, or how I might be able to get 2 tickets (I realize that’ll be tough), it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you and Go Zags!

Trevor
              I have found it best not to trust transplant Zag fans from Missouri. The last one air balled a half time three pointer and lost a goat.

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
              - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• sittingon50
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                  Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
                  • Feb 2007

HEY NOW!! I'm sure LWWK will back me on this, but there is some crazy air changes going from Missouri to Spokane, and it's really thick up there (or thin, I don't know, like I said though, it's odd), and THAT'S mostly why I airballed it.

I'm STOKED for you LWWK!!! That is AWESOME! Get ready to see the game of your life. NOTHING beats one in the Kennel. I'm excited for you!

Gonzaga > Mizzou
                  Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2011

Craigslist is a great idea by several here, but you can also post a want-ad on Craigslist to see if anyone would have a spare ticket for sale. there are some generous Zags out there, esp if you share your story like you did here.
                    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by MTZag03 View Post
                      Slow down once you pass St Regis, there are some crazy corners coming up. Basically this is from mile marker 33 to 22.
                      I was a student from western Montana when Montana "abolished" the speed limit. I set some land speed records going through those turns. I miss that drive.
                      “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• 229SintoZag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Idaho

Idaho has a reputation for the worst-maintained roads in America. And you, my friend, are about to find out why.

My guess is that Lookout and Fourth of July passes are both unlike anything you've seen in the show me state. If a blizzard is on that trip from Missoula can be quite harrowing. I'd definitely budget more than 3 hours to be safe.

Comment

• 007Zag
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Mar 2008

Wait. Woohoo, that wasn't you at halftime of the game against Pacific was it?

Oh, LWWK, have fun at the Kennel! You won't be disappointed.

Comment

• Birddog
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Finally Going to The Kennel!
                            Wait till you get married, you'll be in the dog house more often than you could imagine.
                            Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                            Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                            All mimsy were the borogoves,
                            And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• hondo
                              Zag for Life
                              • May 2009

Condsider the time zone. Don't ask WooHoo for help in this area.

Comment

Working...
                              X