• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KOzag08
    Kennel Club Material
    • Jan 2009

ESPN Insider Article: Overrated Teams

Does anyone have ESPN Insider? If so, would you mind posting the text to the article linked below? Thanks in advance!

Jay Bilas and Chad Ford examine the top five overrated prospects in college basketball, outlining players who have yet to play to or reach their potential. Plus prospects on the rise and key games to watch this week.
  • KStyles
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

It's actually about overrated prospects, rather than teams, but here's a rundown:

Originally posted by Bilas
    I am not a big fan of "overrated" prospect lists. When we go through this exercise, I always get the feeling that we are simply blaming the player for our mistakes in projecting and evaluating talent, or our "irrational exuberance" over a player's future potential. Instead of calling ourselves out for our mistakes, we tend to pile on the player for failing to live up to our billing of him. We rate and hype them, and if they don't meet our standard, we call them "overrated" instead of stating that we whiffed, or simply moving on to those players who are meeting that standard.
    Top 5 Overrated Prospects:

Bilas:

Nerlens Noel
    James Michael McAdoo
    Alex Poythress
    Adonis Thomas
    Le'Bryan Nash

Ford:

Isaiah Austin
    James Michael McAdoo
    Tony Mitchell
    Doug McDermott
    Patric Young

Prospects on the Rise:
    Bilas - Ben McLemore, Kansas
    Ford - Dwight Powell, Stanford

What to Watch For:

Bilas:
    I'm lucky to have another great week. I have the honor of calling Louisville at UConn on Monday, which will feature two dynamic backcourts in Peyton Siva and Russ Smith going against Ryan Boatright and Shabazz Napier. On Wednesday, I'm calling NC State at Maryland, which is an important game and a big opportunity for both teams. On Saturday, we'll have "College GameDay" at Butler when Gonzaga comes to Hinkle Fieldhouse, one of the coolest venues in all of college basketball. The downer is that Rotnei Clarke will likely be out after the nasty fall he had at Dayton.
    Also, Michigan @ Minnesota on Thursday, Arizona @ ASU on Saturday.

Ford:

Kansas-Baylor tonight, Michigan-Minnesota on Thursday, Syracuse @ Louisville on Saturday.

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Ben McLemore, Kansas
      I love this kid as a player at this level and as a prospect. He was ineligible last year at Kansas due to academics, but used his redshirt year effectively.

Nerlens Noel
      If you went into the season with the understanding that Noel wasn't Anthony Davis, he's actually been very good. Alex Poythress, on the other hand, has been disappointing.

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

SInce the value assigned to each kid is subjective (ie who do you think is a first rounder vs who is a good college player)....I'd say none of those on his list should be disappointing. Noel.....I'd take that kid in a minute. Same with McDermott....

hurtful too in some ways.

Comment

• soccerdud
          Zag for Life
          • Jul 2009

bilas shows a remarkable bit of self-awareness. this is the opening paragraph of that article, and addresses some of the obvious:

"I am not a big fan of "overrated" prospect lists. When we go through this exercise, I always get the feeling that we are simply blaming the player for our mistakes in projecting and evaluating talent, or our "irrational exuberance" over a player's future potential. Instead of calling ourselves out for our mistakes, we tend to pile on the player for failing to live up to our billing of him. We rate and hype them, and if they don't meet our standard, we call them "overrated" instead of stating that we whiffed, or simply moving on to those players who are meeting that standard."

edit: oops, i just clicked the link rather than reading kstyles' quotes. didn't realize he had already quoted this paragraph. props to him.
          Last edited by soccerdud; 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X