PDA

View Full Version : Prediction and all your thoughts for the week

Reborn
01-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Let's start with Portland.

Gonzaga 77
Portland 65

It's always a pretty tough game for Gonzaga when we go to Portland. I expect another one. Good to see Portland beat Pepperdine last weekend on the road. We really want Portland to be a tough team at home so that when teams come to Spokane to play the Zags that they will have to worry about Portland too.

Gonzaga 80
Butler 79 IN OVERTIME

This game is so close. It will definitely be the best game this year up to this point of the year. The only reason it will top the OK State game is because of Butler's ranking. I am glad the Zags had that great win in Stillwater because it prepares us to play @ Butler. And then there's Rotnei Clark. I once wanted him to be a Zag so bad. I remember so well when we were recruiting him. You know how I love Ninja shooters, and he's as good as the come. I'm really excited to see him play against our Zags and see if we can corral him. Brad Stephens is also a great coach and good friends with Mark Few. So that makes it a very interesting game. And of course it is GAME DAY on ESPN. I think the first of the year; so it will be a huge audience watching the game.

Can Butler contain Olynyk? Can Olynyk's offense offset Clark's? Will Elias come ready to go to war? These are great questions. Butler was able to corral IU's Zellar, and I am really excited, for this reason, to see how Kelly plays. I am glad that Indiana lost to Butler. I think Butler caught them by surprise. This is definitely Gonzaga's biggest test so far. Have we ever played at Butler?

stevet75
01-14-2013, 11:23 AM
We beat Portland by 12. It would be 20 if we weren't playing Butler 48 hours later.

I'm not feeling good about the Butler game. We are at their place, we fly from Portland to Indiana to play them, in less than 48 hours. I think we win the majority of games against them, on a neutral court, but lose this one at the buzzer.

I hope I'm wrong.

If Rotnei doesn't play, we win by 3, but as per the other thread, it sounds like he will play.

FlyZag
01-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Wet dogs - 74
Wet boat captains - 70

Bulldogs 69
Bulldogs 65

IrishZagFan
01-14-2013, 12:11 PM
GU - 88
Port - 72

GU - 81
Butler - 77

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-14-2013, 01:11 PM
I am really glad that our guys are doing this game on the road in this late juncture. They'll be playing in the midwest where they can expect officiating akin to Big 10 refs who let guys play a very physical style of basketball. If our guys can adapt to that style of play, they can win. I can't wait for this game.

bartruff1
01-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Win both...surprisingly easy....too much size and depth for both Portland and Butler....might be tainted if Clark doesn't play or play well with Gary guarding him closely....

adoptedzag
01-14-2013, 02:28 PM
wet dogs - 74
wet boat captains - 70

bulldogs 69
bulldogs 65

lol!

DADoZAG
01-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Win both...surprisingly easy....too much size and depth for both Portland and Butler....might be tainted if Clark doesn't play or play well with Gary in his shorts....

This is what I was thinking, BEFORE Butler beat Indiana (sans the comment about Gary being in Clark's shorts, TMI, TMI).

Now I'm questioning that.

A voice from the dark, "Depth, DADoZAG, will be the difference."

Yeah, provided it's fully used...

Go ZAGS

Edited to add: ZAGS by 15-20 in Portland, 8-12 on Game Day

Reborn
01-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Just found out that Clark isn't playing this weekend so Im changing my prediciton. Gonzaga 76, Butler 69.

Butler will miss Clark ALOT. He is their best player. He plays the most minutes, shoots the highest 3 pt % by far (44%). He's a great 3 pt shooter and most likely would have hurt Gonzaga far more than anyone else could. He also took the most 3 pt shots by far. And he was second on the team in assists. Butler has always liked to shoot the 3 pt shot and with Clark they certainly could do that.

I would guess the guy who will replace his scoring will be Kellan Dunham. Dunham is a 6'6" Freshman and only weighs 185 lbs. He is the second highest 3 pt shooter on the team, shooting about 5 a game and making only about 1 and a half a game (32%). Dunham, I believe, has been more of a slasher, trying to get to the foul line. His field goal % is only around 40%. He's a very good FT shooter (90%). He's only been getting to the line about 4 times a game, but I guess that could change.

Looking at their last game, when Clark got hurt, they did not try to shoot the 3 pt shot, but it looks to me like they got the ball inside much more as they shot 35 foul shots (makeing 22 of them) Dayton only shot 17 FTs. Roosevelt Jones led them in scoring with 16, half of them from the foul line. Jones is a very tough wing player, who's 6'4" and weighs 227. He is not a 3pt shooter, which is good for the Zags. He sounds like a good challenge for Hart and Edi. He would be a horrible matchup for our small guard offense unless we have either hart or Edi in at the 3 or small forward position.

Butler is going to be big at the guard spot. Dunham is 6'6" and Jones is 6' 4". The 3rd guard (Barlow) is only 5'11". My guess is Barlow will guard Pangos which would be good for Pangos. In their last game (the one Clark got hurt in) the bench did a lot of scoring (29 points) so maybe they will replace Clarks points by committee.

Reborn
01-18-2013, 05:52 AM
Great game by the Zags. I was kind of off on this one, and thought the game would be closer. It looks like most of us did.

IrishZagFan
01-18-2013, 09:00 AM
We beat Portland by 12. It would be 20 if we weren't playing Butler 48 hours later.

GU - 88
Port - 72

Win both...surprisingly easy....too much size and depth for both Portland and Butler........

This ZAGS by 15-20 in Portland, 8-12 on Game Day

Actual Score: GU - 71, Portland - 49 a 22 point spread

No real exact predictions, the four I quoted above are generic. stevet75 says we would have won by 20 IF, but he missed because he chose 12.

Irish had a 16 point spread, but was far off of the numbers.

bartruff1 says win surprisingly easy, and he was right about that.

DADoZAG said 15 to 20, but that's a range, and doesn't work well in predictions.

So overall, no one won this game in the prediction contest.....

Reborn
01-19-2013, 07:07 AM
I'm up and ready. Are you ready to roll? I'm excited today. I'm wearing a soft, silvery smile. I like it when I feel this way on gameday. Speaking of gameday, today is ESPN'S first College Gameday of the season and they'll be at Hinkle for the Zags vs Bulldogs game. Doesn't get much better until March. This will be the last time this year for us fans to see the Zags play a top 20 team, and another really great road game in a fantastic arena. Stephens and Few are very good friends which only adds more interest in the game because there isn't anything quite like playing a game against one of your best friends.

Rotnei Clark will not be playing, which is a big disappointment for both Butler and GU. Gonzaga really tried hard to get Clark To GU. The game will not be the same without him. It'll still be a good game but not as good if Clark had been able to play. I was really looking forward to the Zags shutting him down. Yet, he may have scored 40. Mmmm Well, we'll never know. At least for now. So now the question is, "Can Gonzaga beat Butler in HInkle without Clark?" We will know the answer to this in about 11 hours.

Hoopaholic
01-19-2013, 07:15 AM
Oh yea. Reborn...oh yea. Exciting day for college hoops

caduceus
01-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Our Bulldogs 70
Their Bulldogs 69

I hope it's not that close, but BU is undefeated at home this year (but so are we on the road :D).

LongIslandZagFan
01-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Bulldogs of the Butler kind 145
Bulldogs of the Gonzaga kind 40

DADoZAG
01-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Actual Score: GU - 71, Portland - 49 a 22 point spread

No real exact predictions, the four I quoted above are generic. stevet75 says we would have won by 20 IF, but he missed because he chose 12.

Irish had a 16 point spread, but was far off of the numbers.

bartruff1 says win surprisingly easy, and he was right about that.

DADoZAG said 15 to 20, but that's a range, and doesn't work well in predictions.

So overall, no one won this game in the prediction contest.....

Well, to avoid a duplication, I got up early this morning and have been polishing the crystal ball. There are so many factors to take into account.

Who is reffing the game? I've searched and not found the answer.

The ZAGS' travel problems should be offset by a certain Butler player that will only watch the game, but you never know how both those two factors will play out.

Will timeouts be used to keep MO on the ZAGS side? Will GBJ decide today is the day to forget his belly, his knee, his last miss and become the player most of us know he can be? Will Harris come out and wear the bitter beer face from tip off to final buzzer or just be trying to do lay ins? Will KO remember to flush, flush, flush every finish he can?

Will the whole arsenal of amateur ZAGS be used to get Smith in foul trouble? Or will the sphincters of the professional ZAGS be too tight and keep PK and KD sitting?

No matter how much rubbing I do, the crystal ball is still foggy, and I dunno any of this.

So, how about:
ZAGS 76
Butler 66

Or maybe:
ZAGS 87
Butler 75

Or maybe:
ZAGS 65
Butler 57

My guess is that the scoring range all depends on which ZAG takes the free throws in the last minute, and itís an 8-12 point spread.

Go ZAGS!

Midwestzag
01-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Butler with Smith will key on KO (Please Kelly don't force it--pass to the open man). Harris will have a big game 15pt and 10 rebounds. Pangos will continue to stroke and limit turnovers. Hart will play with a fury (very Butler like) that Stevens will try to get him to transfer at half-time.

GU by 5 over Butler in Hinkle

caduceus
01-19-2013, 10:48 AM
This ☝

I think Harris is going to be the factor tonight. He's due, and seems to get up for big games.

VinnyZag
01-19-2013, 11:00 AM
I seem to be the only one who has a bad feeling about the Butler game.

Butler has several other guys who can do what Clarke does vis-a-vis shooting. And their bigs are better than people think. And, as I believe ESPN has mentioned once or twice, this game's in Hinkle.

Zags' best chance would be to pester the daylights out of the Butler backcourt. They didn't have a true PG WITH Clarke; without him, GU should be able to create turnovers and force a quick pace.

Unfortunately, this GU team (and all GU teams) isn't particularly good at that.

Hope I'm wrong, but my prediction: Butler 76, Gonzaga 68

bartruff1
01-19-2013, 11:51 AM
I don't believe Butler can score 70 points...

nor do I believe they can keep Gonzaga from scoring that or a bit more...

they simply cannot match Gonzaga's front line...yes...they beat Indiana (Cody) but our bigs with one exception can shoot freethrows and will foul out their bigs...

If Pangos and others are hitting...no contest...if not....it could be close for 30 minutes...Butler will not give in...they will keep fighting till the end.

But, in the end, Gonzaga wins by about 72-65....

Reborn
01-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Butler has several other guys who can do what Clarke does vis-a-vis shooting. And their bigs are better than people think. And, as I believe ESPN has mentioned once or twice, this game's in Hinkle.

OH yeah? Who are they? I think Rotnei Clark is one of a kind. Stephens admitted that he needed a gunslinger this year, and was very, very happy to recruit Clark. And as Stephens also said the other day, Clark is more than a 3 pt shooter. He runs our offense. It's like getting your quarterback hurt.

DixieZag
01-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Butler 68
Zags 65

I just think that the travel will wear on the Zags and I think that the game day excitement and home court advantage puts Butler over the top. I would probably think differently if it were in the Kennel.

I agree that our foul shooting and Pangos recent sharpshooting will be a significant factor and if we win will probably be what puts us over the top.

Zag4Hire
01-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Just a feeling...

South Bend Central 73
Hickory 70

In this version, Jimmy Chitwood isn't on the court (Rotnei Clarke). No picket fence. Zags continue to win.

VinnyZag
01-19-2013, 03:52 PM
OH yeah? Who are they? I think Rotnei Clark is one of a kind. Stephens admitted that he needed a gunslinger this year, and was very, very happy to recruit Clark. And as Stephens also said the other day, Clark is more than a 3 pt shooter. He runs our offense. It's like getting your quarterback hurt.

Kellen Dunham is the guy I'd be worried about. Supposed to be an elite shooter, but unlike Clarke he's got good size, and GU has struggled against guys like that this year.

I thnk Rotnei Clarke is a little overrated. Good shooter, doesn't do a whole lot else. On the season, he has 38 assists and 36 turnovers. If he's their quarterback, well, he's no Tom Brady.

Bushman
01-19-2013, 04:15 PM
The Canadian boys will be the difference tonite! What a great night, a ZAGS win and a HABS win!

Zags 70
Butler 66

bballbeachbum
01-19-2013, 04:34 PM
another toughness test on the road for the Zags, like at Stillwater and Pullman, ebbs and flows for and against, a battle throughout and a great game, tainted because of the missing Rotnei, but a game that lives up to its marquee status with great performances from both teams

GO ZAGS!!!

IrishZagFan
01-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Butler 68
Zags 65

I just think that the travel will wear on the Zags and I think that the game day excitement and home court advantage puts Butler over the top. I would probably think differently if it were in the Kennel.

I seem to be the only one who has a bad feeling about the Butler game.

Bulldogs 69
Bulldogs 65

ACTUAL: Butler - 64; GU - 63

#1 and 2
DixieZag and VinnyZag were the only GUBoard Columnists to officially pick Butler over Gonzaga, even though others had alluded to it. Dixie Zag only missed total score by 6, while VinnyZag missed by 17.

and FlyZag had the mysterious misleading prediction but since Irish can't determine one bulldog from another....

VinnyZag
01-21-2013, 09:29 AM

ACTUAL: Butler - 64; GU - 63

DixieZag was the only one to officially pick Butler over Gonzaga, even though others had alluded to it. Only missed total score by 6.

and FlyZag had the mysterious misleading prediction.

I'm terribly offended.

IrishZagFan
01-21-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm terribly offended.

Irish is apologetic, but has no idea what you are alluding to...... ;)

VinnyZag
01-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Irish is apologetic, but has no idea what you are alluding to...... ;)

Oops. I appear to have misread your post. I'm no longer offended. Perhaps you should be.

IrishZagFan
01-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Oops. I appear to have misread your post. I'm no longer offended. Perhaps you should be.

No, Irish edited his original post after your offended post......Just trying to be accurate in Irish's reporting.....