PDA

View Full Version : 1 seed talk

23zagmd
01-14-2013, 08:56 AM
People, back away from the computer. Don't want to sound like a coach but the only important game is the next one. Start looking over Portland and all of a sudden you are staring down the barrell(Biden speak) of a 16-3 team on a two game skid(Butler potentially).

I don't think that will happen, but....

Bottom line here, we are not going to get a 1 seed. First, we'd have to win out to have a CHANCE at that. Second, we'd have to survive the seed hosing that we seemingly always get(yes, even with a 30-1 record).

Third and most importantly, we'd have to win out. NOT HAPPENING. Yes, we are good, yes we are talented, blah, blah, blah....We still have games at BYU, St. Mary's, Butler, LMU, etc.

This is a 3 seed team, easy with 2 losses, tougher with 3 or 4 losses.

jagwalkley
01-14-2013, 09:12 AM
I am glad you; are not drinking the kool-aid.These kids are good,but just kids. Reading this stuff is great for us dreamers,but does causes them nothing but big heads.A two or three seed is great.

HenneZag
01-14-2013, 09:17 AM
WCC play is in the early period, we still have 13 games left to play, let alone a huge matchup with Butler on Saturday.

It is fair to say that potentially when it's all said and done we could lose 3 or 4 in the WCC. Saying that we have the ability to run the table as well, I just don't see that happening. I will be happy if we can get through the WCC with 2 losses.

I don't worry about the seeding right now, it's too early yet, we could go from a 2 to a 5 in one week with one bad loss.

just have to take care of business and the rest will take care of itself eventually.

zag944
01-14-2013, 10:25 AM
My sophmore year we only had 2 losses (to Stanford and St. Joes, both 1 seeds) and were ranked 2 and 3 in the polls when the season ended if memory serves.

We werent a 1 seed that year. Agree...have to win out to have even a chance.

BobZag
01-14-2013, 10:31 AM
People, back away from the computer. Don't want to sound like a coach but the only important game is the next one. Start looking over Portland and all of a sudden you are staring down the barrell(Biden speak) of a 16-3 team on a two game skid(Butler potentially).

Bottom line here, we are not going to get a 1 seed. First, we'd have to win out to have a CHANCE at that. Second, we'd have to survive the seed hosing that we seemingly always get(yes, even with a 30-1 record).

Third and most importantly, we'd have to win out. NOT HAPPENING. Yes, we are good, yes we are talented, blah, blah, blah....We still have games at BYU, St. Mary's, Butler, LMU, etc.

So you're saying "Pump the brakes" a bit?

gonstu
01-14-2013, 10:35 AM

It's fun to be a fan of the zags - maybe even more fun when they are a legit (IMHO) top 10 team. It is also enjoyable/exciting to consider all the possibilities - including a 1-seed (however unlikely it may seem) - of this team's potential in "what if" scenarios.

I am sure Few/the team is not looking ahead and thinking about 1-seeds right now. If they were, your message of tempering expectations may be relevant. But to suggest that the "what if"'s and optimistic excitement of a bunch of knuckleheads (me included, advanced apologies to those non-knuckleheads on MBB :)) on a message board will lead to a losing skid is crazy. That there is talk about 1-seeds in the MBB is not going to jinx the zags into a losing streak.

Why not let the 1-seed talkers have their enjoyment? I really don't think I have seen many people predicting Zags are going to blow through conference. Rather than people saying "when the zags win out..." I think people have more been saying "if the zags win out..." There will be, and have been, many season where 1-seed talk is not even an option. This year it is. Let's consider and enjoy it (or at least let those of us who want to do it!) while we can.

Oregonzagnut
01-14-2013, 01:35 PM
I'm a 1 seed talker. The Zags can sweep the WCC if we can beat OKSt in Stillwater. I'm not a fan to predict losses. I'm a fan to believe in wins.

ZagsBaby
01-14-2013, 02:31 PM
They beauty of being a fan is that you can look ahead and not have to worry about the repercussions of that.

I trust the coaching staff and players are only focused on the 1 game ahead. Me? I want to win out, or lose ONE game from here on out and get the best seed possible.

maynard g krebs
01-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Bottom line here, we are not going to get a 1 seed.

Lunardi said the other day that 2 losses gives the Zags a shot at a 1 seed.
2 seed at worst w/2 losses.

SageOfZagville
01-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Would love to see the Zags run the table, but I also think it is highly unlikely.
A win at Bulter, even without Rotnei is going to be difficult at best. The way they play defense will cause us some issues.

BYU and SMC will be difficult at their sites. BYU has been playing a match up zone similar to Syracuse. Although their players are not as athletic as the Cuse, they are long at the guard position and they make shooting over them difficult. Teams that have done well against them have had guards that could get into the lane and dish to the bigs or the three point shooters. Playing at elevation is also difficult. They do not lose many games in Provo.

We all know how SMC will be licking their chops for payback. If Delly has a typical game, we lose here. GBJ did a fine job on him, but if you look at the shots that he missed, many were wide open looks.

We also have had notoriusly close games in Portland, and we cannot overlook them. Games at SF have not been easy lately either. Let's also not forget SD, whose team will be very well prepared to play us.

Can we win the rest of the way, YES. Will we, not likely.

tempe85
01-14-2013, 09:43 PM

Stop pretending like anything anyone does here has any influence on the team. Fans overlooking an opponent has absolutely no impact on anything whatsoever. Part of the fun of being a fan IS looking into the future, at big matchups, at the tournament, at unrealistic undefeated championship runs that will never happen, ect. We can look past teams because we're not playing those teams.

Ekrub
01-14-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm a 1 seed talker. The Zags can sweep the WCC if we can beat OKSt in Stillwater. I'm not a fan to predict losses. I'm a fan to believe in wins.

+1

DCZag
01-15-2013, 12:01 AM
We're fans, we can look ahead as much as we want - as long as the team doesn't - I'm pretty sure that nothing we write here affects the Zags preparations for the next game.

I say dream away, but don't have a meltdown on the rest of us if it doesn't come to pass....

bigblahla
01-15-2013, 06:48 AM
So you're saying "Pump the brakes" a bit?

What brakes BZ? This conversation is a Semi running full speed down the Lewiston grade already passed the last turnout and the air brakes are shot. Nothing left but damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead.

I plan on living for awhile, knock on wood, but doubt the Zags will see a #1 seed in my lifetime, nice to dream though and it would mean we went undefeated up to "The Dance".

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Birddog
01-15-2013, 07:19 AM
This conversation is a Semi running full speed down the Lewiston grade already passed the last turnout and the air brakes are shot. Nothing left but damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead.

Bigblaha was stretching the truth. I have pictures to prove it.

http://images.comiccollectorlive.com/covers/fd6/fd642d65-331c-4886-b8ee-60a722c03492.jpg

http://www.texasghetto.org/Comics/freak2.jpg

LongIslandZagFan
01-15-2013, 07:50 AM
1 seed is unrealistic. 30-1... At best they'd get a 2 seed. RPI will keep them off the top line.

Zag4Hire
01-15-2013, 08:00 AM
I would rather have the team get a #2 out west than be the lowest #1 in some other part of the country. Plus getting a #1 would paint a bullseye on them and I rather have the team feel jaded and play with purpose.

NotoriousZ
01-15-2013, 08:05 AM
1 seed is unrealistic. 30-1... At best they'd get a 2 seed. RPI will keep them off the top line.

Is this like one of your game predictions?

167 Other team
34 Zags

Unless four of the teams ahead of us can be that amazing the rest of the way, 30-1 is a one seed lock with our schedule.

23zagmd: Bottom line here, we are not going to get a 1 seed. First, we'd have to win out to have a CHANCE at that. Second, we'd have to survive the seed hosing that we seemingly always get(yes, even with a 30-1 record).

I would like to stop all this 3 seed talk. :fingergun:

ZagLawGrad
01-15-2013, 08:27 AM
We got a long ways to go to March.

rennis
01-15-2013, 08:29 AM
Agreed, until Bell & Pangos get back to both shooting >40% from 3 we aren't a 1 seed.

And they gotta keep their foot on the gas with leads. Protecting a lead is something 1 and 2 seeds do well.

GU looks like a 4 seed to me right now.

Reborn
01-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Great thread. I enjoyed reading both sides to this argument. Personally, I think the Zags can win the remaining games. I continue to think that this is a special Zag team. They have that knack of winning, of pulling out close games, of closing the deal. I agree with Mark Few that this may NOT be his most talented team, but it's the team with the best chemistry, and that is important.

Winning on the road is always the key, and for that reason winning at Portland and Butler this weekend is very important. They are the biggest games of the year so far. Portland because they are a rival, and Butler because they are a top twenty team and both are on the road. Winning both games this weekend will give the team alot of confidence going forward. The game Saturday against Butler is a special game. It's GAME DAY on ESPN, and it's a top 20 team, AND ITS BUTLER. Butler and Gonzaga, I think, are clearly the two best Mid Major programs in college basketball. This could develop into a great rivalry over the years, and I hope that both coaches make sure we continue to play each other in the future.

Of course going undefeated in conference will be extremely difficult, but other Gonzaga teams have done it, and especially the best Gonzaga teams have. The toughest opponent, imo, will be BYU. They are very very tough to beat at home. In this sense they remind me of Oklahoma State. If you look at the RPI's of Ok State and BYU they are very similar, OKState 36 and BYU 39.Another similarity is that they both play in arenas where its very difficult for an opponent to go away with a victory there. The Zags escaped Stillwater with a narrow victory and I believe will do the same thing in Provo, but it will be by the hair of their chinny chin chins.

Both St Mary's and BYU are undefeated so far this year at home, but neither of them have beaten a team in the top 50 at home. St. Mary's did beat Harvord (RPI rank is 88) at home, BYU has not beaten a team in the top 100 at home. BYU has beaten one team in the top 100 (Santa Clara) and St Mary's has beaten two (Harvard and Utah State). BYU is 0-3 vs teams in the top 50, and St Mary's hasn't played a team in the top 50 yet. Neither has played a team in the top 25. Gonzaga, on the other hand is one and one against teams in the top 25, 3-0 against teams in the top 50.

Butler is Ranked 15th in the RPI and Gonzaga 8th. To get a victory at Butler would be very very good for our RPI. However, because GU is ranked 8th and has and is ranked 8th in the RPI, they have a very big target on their back. Everyone will want to beat them because to beat a top ten team is very good for everyone's resume, but especially for St. Mary's, BYU and Butler. These last 3 teams are the biggest threats to GU going undefeated, along with USF at home. Go Zags!!!

TheGonzagaFactor
01-15-2013, 08:44 AM

I hope we don't get a 1 seed, I don't want the pressure.

That being said, there is a long way to go and most teams are only 2 to 4 games into their conference schedule. If we run the table from now until Selection Sunday, we absolutely have a chance at a 1 seed. What if Illinois wins the B1G regular season and/or tourney? If we run the table or lose one more game and everyone else that is a top 3 seed has 4+ losses (very possible) why would we not get a 1 seed? I don't think we will get it, but it is realistic.

titopoet
01-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Here he is
http://www.bracketdance.com/bracket-projections.html

The only Bracketologist of the forty or so that is tracked by Bracketology Matrix (http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm)
that has GU as a one seed. He has no history so he does not rate in Matrix rankings (http://bracketproject.50webs.com/rankings.html)

If the Zags keeping winning, who knows, but get back to us after the next eight or so games and then the landscape of seeds will start clearing up. Until then, even talking about Louisville or Duke as a 1 seed is a bit too soon.

LongIslandZagFan
01-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Is this like one of your game predictions?

167 Other team
34 Zags

Unless four of the teams ahead of us can be that amazing the rest of the way, 30-1 is a one seed lock with our schedule.

23zagmd: Bottom line here, we are not going to get a 1 seed. First, we'd have to win out to have a CHANCE at that. Second, we'd have to survive the seed hosing that we seemingly always get(yes, even with a 30-1 record).

I would like to stop all this 3 seed talk. :fingergun:

Wish it were... The bottom half of the WCC is going to skew the RPI higher regardless of the Zags record. Whilst they say the RPI is just one tool they use... Guess what... Our seeds are almost exactly in line with RPI rank while BCS schools get leeway. Sucks, yes, but sad reality.

ETA... My feeling of whether they would deserve it is not reflected in the original comment. Just reflecting my opinion of the selection committee and past history.

NotoriousZ
01-15-2013, 10:14 AM
Wish it were... The bottom half of the WCC is going to skew the RPI higher regardless of the Zags record. Whilst they say the RPI is just one tool they use... Guess what... Our seeds are almost exactly in line with RPI rank while BCS schools get leeway. Sucks, yes, but sad reality.

ETA... My feeling of whether they would deserve it is not reflected in the original comment. Just reflecting my opinion of the selection committee and past history.

Fair enough, but IF the Zags were to win out I'd bet you 10 tacos that we'd get the top line, and unless Zona does the same or close to it, we'd be in the WEST.

But that's a pretty big if. Beat Portland.

LongIslandZagFan
01-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Winning out might creat enough pressure from the media to get the last 1 seed... Much like St. joes years back. Even that one wasn't cut and dry.

Sadly I have too much faith in the committee to do the wrong thing.

gonstu
01-15-2013, 11:22 AM

Winning out might creat enough pressure from the media to get the last 1 seed...

What happened in those 3 hours to make you jump sides?:jk:

I believe Few and the zag program have reached a level where their schedule, media attention, and performance on court can earn them a 1-seed if all/most conditions are right. These conditions might include: how are the other major 1-seed contenders performing, how did the WCC do that year, our conference record, how our schedule shapes up by March (historically teams on our schedule have seemed to under perform compared to expectations). If enough of those conditions are there, I think it would be enough for a top line - despite the lower half of the WCC. What is hard to swallow for me is when people on this forum guarantee and know with certainty that the zags DEFINITELY will or will not get a 1-seed (if they win out).

It seems like there's two different arguments that are getting lumped into one: 1- how likely is it that the zags can run the table & 2 - IF the zags win out, what are their chances at a 1-seed.

It's very possible, maybe even probable, that the zags will have a couple more losses in a few weeks - but it is really fun to have these discussions and an opinion on that matter while we can.

Each fan will experience the season in their own way - for me right now it is all about enjoying the ride of this top 10 team AND enjoying that there is a 1-seed debate on the GU message board!

Go Zags!

CDC84
01-15-2013, 11:31 AM
As long as Gonzaga is a top 3 seed with the first two in Salt Lake City and the second two in Los Angeles, that's all I care about. I think that's reasonably achievable so long as this team:

1) Wins out at home
2) Loses to no one it shouldn't lose to. at USF, etc.
3) Wins the WCC regular season title (even ties for it)
4) Wins the WCC tournament

They need to stay out of a seed that dooms them and stay within their geographic area.

Oregonzagnut
01-15-2013, 12:49 PM
We are undefeated on the road. I'm all for road trips. Seems to keep us more focussed for some reason. I think we play very well against Butler win or lose, they are going to have to have an A+ game to beat us.

LongIslandZagFan
01-16-2013, 07:32 AM
What happened in those 3 hours to make you jump sides?:jk:

I believe Few and the zag program have reached a level where their schedule, media attention, and performance on court can earn them a 1-seed if all/most conditions are right. These conditions might include: how are the other major 1-seed contenders performing, how did the WCC do that year, our conference record, how our schedule shapes up by March (historically teams on our schedule have seemed to under perform compared to expectations). If enough of those conditions are there, I think it would be enough for a top line - despite the lower half of the WCC. What is hard to swallow for me is when people on this forum guarantee and know with certainty that the zags DEFINITELY will or will not get a 1-seed (if they win out).

It seems like there's two different arguments that are getting lumped into one: 1- how likely is it that the zags can run the table & 2 - IF the zags win out, what are their chances at a 1-seed.

It's very possible, maybe even probable, that the zags will have a couple more losses in a few weeks - but it is really fun to have these discussions and an opinion on that matter while we can.

Each fan will experience the season in their own way - for me right now it is all about enjoying the ride of this top 10 team AND enjoying that there is a 1-seed debate on the GU message board!

Go Zags!

Note I said could. But I still would expect the committees to do the wrong thing.

Hoopaholic
01-16-2013, 07:59 AM
for me I dont even start to look at this issue until the month of february has had 7 days of moon cycle...I just like to focus on the next game and winning every game we can win

cjm720
01-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Like all the NBA talk, it's way too early for this discussion IMO. So many things can happen between now and Selection Sunday.

MDABE80
01-16-2013, 09:12 AM
No more losses and we'd be a no 1 eed in SLC and then on to LA.
Two losses and we're a 2 seed unless the losses mount up for the other top 10 teams.

titopoet
01-16-2013, 09:13 AM

30-1 would mean most likely the top spot in the national polls.
32-1 would mean a 1 seed. (two games after the WCC tourney)

Now, the chances at reaching 30-1 before the tourney... 5% according to Kenpom, which is about right. There is a chance, but 18 games is a lot of games to win in a row against D1 teams, especially at the end when you have teams more desperate to win. Think of BYU or SMC needing a big win to make the tournament.

Get back after 8-10 games. Even then, games against BYU and SMC on the road would be looming.

Early, but fun to imagine.

DADoZAG
01-16-2013, 10:11 AM
I think it would be interesting to compare posters between talk about a #1 seed and the braketology threads.

Any one thatís concerned about who the ZAGS will face canít believe they deserve a #1 seed.

#1 seeds donít care who the play, they donít care where they play, they just WANT TO PLAY!

For me, Iíd be really surprised with a #1 seed no matter what happens the rest of the year. Other teams would really have to drop off in my opinion.

Not that I donít think the ZAGS could become one of the very best teams this year, I just donít think the selection committee would have that type of respect given games already played, and competition upcoming.

Iíll tell you though, if it does happen, if GONZAGA is called out as a #1 seed on Selection Sunday, Iíll no doubt need an ambulance Ďcause Iíll be jumping through the roof. And at my age, that wouldnít be goodÖ

Go ZAGS!

gonstu
01-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Iíll tell you though, if it does happen, if GONZAGA is called out as a #1 seed on Selection Sunday, Iíll no doubt need an ambulance Ďcause Iíll be jumping through the roof.
Go ZAGS!

Me too! Don't get me wrong, a Final Four appearance is something I hope for every year and I hope we'll get it at some point. But I almost think I'd be even more proud as a Zag fan of a #1 seed.

CarolinaZagFan
01-16-2013, 12:02 PM
A 1 seed is not unrealistic as long as we take care of business. Look around, this is a down year in college basketball and IMHO we can play with any team in the country. Few picked a great year to have his best team ever. Just enjoy the ride ladies and gents, it's been an amazing season that hopefully continues into April.

ZagLawGrad
01-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Like BZ said, pump the brakes.

A long ways to March...

ZagsBaby
01-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Damn.

I wasn't aware that fans had such an impact on the game.

I'm going to start talking about recruiting 5 star Mcdonald AA's and maybe that will come true as well!