PDA

View Full Version : What goes on in practice this week?

NotoriousZ
01-13-2013, 11:04 AM
As a rule, you don't look beyond your next opponent BUT...

that leaves six days to prepare for Portland and one day for the Butler game. Do you think that maybe they spend at least one day focussing on the other Bulldogs? They could do it Monday, or hopefully they've already done it, and then the rest of the week they'd be preparing for the Pilots and working on their own issues (defense and rebounding would be good). After the Portland game you'd have a strong refresher on Butler instead of cramming that into a day and a half.

I know this is a road game at Portland, but given that we have so much time on our hands, I'd think that Few would want to get his guys ready for both games. Is this crazy talk?

BobZag
01-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Work on ourselves most of the week. Save one day or two days, at most, for other teams.

Hoopaholic
01-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Bell goes light with repetitions to give stomach muscle some off time
Some team fundamentals
Rebounding drills
2-3 zone responsibilities on weak side and top guard splits

Hoopaholic
01-13-2013, 11:21 AM
It's also that time of year to start working on your secondary offensive sets for round two of league play

ZagSports
01-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Very well could be different with coach few, every coach has their own ways of running things, but the two teams I have worked with would emphasize on monday (sundays off) how the two teams are different, focus of the week, strengths and weakness of both teams.

Tues would be all about Portland

Wed the same as tues just less aggressive and long

Thurs - game

Fri would be the same as a wed, just a short non aggressive hour/hour & half of essentially scouting the plays that would work offensively, and defensive sets.

As mentioned previously, I would say 75%-80% of practices focus on cleaning up your own teams offensive sets

Mantua
01-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Rebounds.

DixieZag
01-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Rebounding for sure - - Coach G said that they would work on that coming off SMC.

I would also hope that they are working on ways to use Elias if/when Kelly gets a double team. It makes sense to me that with Kelly going off for 25+ the last 3 or 4 games that teams are going to really key upon him and that will open up things for Elias.

Would like to see Dranginis get some more PT in order to get him back confident and playing well.

I hope that Bell heals up and gets back to driving to the lane and getting his feet set prior to receiving the pass.

Karno needs continued defensive work - - he alters shots just by being in the game.

Oregonzagnut
01-13-2013, 05:12 PM
I think Fews practices are mostly normal standard fare and fundamentals, other times he mixes it up and surprises everyone including the team. Then if there are critical issues to work on or lecture about he hits those hard.

How you practice intensity and focus? Maintaining concentration and focus is a personal or mental choice, especially on defense and rebounding. Something we were woefully lacking between the 15:11 minute mark of the 2nd half and the 4:11 mark. An 11 minute stretch where we went from 20 up, to 5 up.

But we never were behind or lost the lead the ENTIRE GAME! So they gathered the focus back when they needed it. That is good to know that they can do that and they have done that several times this year.

MDABE80
01-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Defense will be emphasized. Who plays Rotnei?? He's key.

Oregonzagnut
01-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Defense will be emphasized. Who plays Rotnei?? He's key.

He's key if he is playing? Have you heard he is going to play? I assume by then he will risk it and the sprain will be 90% healed.

Re-injury could be serious and I think they should not risk it for the sake of safety. ;)

But you are the doctor, what say you?

hooter73
01-14-2013, 08:38 AM
individual work, team fundamentals, listening for the popping sound of Harris pulling his head out, and then specific work against any thing similar in both Portland and Butler's styles (if there are any).

MDABE80
01-14-2013, 08:46 AM
He's key if he is playing? Have you heard he is going to play? I assume by then he will risk it and the sprain will be 90% healed.

Re-injury could be serious and I think they should not risk it for the sake of safety. ;)

But you are the doctor, what say you?

OZN..he'll play. This morning's reports indicate he's a bit stiff from hitting the stanchion but he's ready to go. USA Today says so!!;)

gozagswoohoo
01-14-2013, 08:52 AM
If I was head coach, I would probably run practice somewhat like this:

First 15 minutes: Play the game "Win Lose or Draw" to try and sharpen everyone's minds and get them focused. We would need a large drawing pad and permanent marker for this.

Next 30 minutes: We would play a 'free for all' game of 21. Whoever wins gets to sit out of the next part of practice, which is 'conditioning'.

Next 30 minutes would be time for some conditioning: Everyone hits the showers and conditions their hair.

Next 30 minutes: play the "roll your towel up and try to snap eachother with it" game.

Final 30 minutes: FREE THROWS FREE THROWS FREE THROWS.