PDA

View Full Version : Rotnei Clark to miss Butler Vs Gonzaga?

3zagda
01-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Thats what the CBS commentators just said during half time of the #2 Michigan vs #15 Ohio State game. they said he had no feeling in his lower body for a short time after the neck injury and could miss 2 weeks of play.
Ohio State leads 42-31 with 10 min left.

BobZag
01-13-2013, 11:04 AM
He'll be back sooner than expected.

Gonzdb8
01-13-2013, 11:15 AM
He'll be back sooner than expected.

not disagreeing with you, but what are you basing that assertion on?

Hoopaholic
01-13-2013, 11:17 AM
I hope and pry for the best for him, would rather play against him as he is an awesome collegians player and I enjoy seeing the zags play the best

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Scary, scary moment yesterday. Hope to see him suited up again soon.

Baldwinzag
01-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Rotnei wasn't kept overnight at the hospital -- 1st good sign. He was walking around his room and discharged under his own [walking] power. Also, they ruled out any neck injury and wasn't required to wear a C-collar following the CT scan.

- No concussion
- No fx
- No strain as he had full mobility
- No swelling

Its what they call a "stinger".

He'll be just fine and most likely return by next Saturday, if not much sooner.

When I played football, at least one of my teammates suffered a cervical stinger every week.

Good to see he's going to be OK and avoided an injury of any sort.

RenoZag
01-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Clarke Injury Story (http://www.freep.com/usatoday/article/1830137?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CMichigan%2 0State%20Spartans%7Cs)

Baldwinzag
01-13-2013, 12:30 PM
This pic was taken by Coach Stevens after Rotnei underwent x-rays & CT scan.

He left the hospital shortly after and flew home with his teammates...

This is going to make a great 'comeback' story for ESPN Gameday.

Again, for him to not be wearing a C-Collar of any kind, not even a roll, is a terrific sign.

http://cmsimg.thestarpress.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BG&Date=20130112&Category=SPORTS0605&ArtNo=301120322&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0&Butler-guard-Rotnei-Clarke-sent-hospital-after-hard-foul-heads-home-team

jazzdelmar
01-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Good kid and player. Would prefer to see him out there vs Zags.

BobZag
01-13-2013, 01:50 PM
not disagreeing with you, but what are you basing that assertion on?

His coach's comments.

zagirl2k
01-13-2013, 02:14 PM
recent Tweet from Seth Davis:
Seth Davis ‏@SethDavisHoops

Based on my conversation w Brad Stevens today, I would be shocked if Rotnei Clark plays vs Richmond. 50/50 at best for Gonzaga.

Baldwinzag
01-13-2013, 02:19 PM

Based on my conversation w Brad Stevens today, I would be shocked if Rotnei Clark plays vs Richmond. 50/50 at best for Gonzaga.

Good catch. Thanks for the share.

"50/50" at best for Senior PG, in his final year, on a mission, vs Top-10 team, at home, marquee moment, tough kid...really means "75/25", if you ask me.

I'm telling you, neck stingers recovery remarkably quick in healthy/active adults. Moreso than any other muscle in the body. He'll be ready to go on Saturday.

RRZagFan
01-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Just saw this on Twitter.

@lrrykeho: This #Clarke kid from #Butler is one tough guy. His father says only way he won't play Gonzaga is if they fly him out of country. :-)

Baldwinzag
01-13-2013, 03:07 PM

@lrrykeho: This #Clarke kid from #Butler is one tough guy. His father says only way he won't play Gonzaga is if they fly him out of country. :-)

Yep.

As 'Thee BZ' and the 'other bz' have been saying all along...

Baldwinzag
01-13-2013, 03:09 PM

Not to mention, Rotnei Clarke and Gonzaga have a long-standing connection; from both his HS(Oklahoma) and Arkansas playing days.

We recruited him on 2 separate occasions. Nearly came here both times, just not the right time or meant to be on either opportunity...

Mantua
01-13-2013, 03:17 PM
If I were his coach, I wouldn't play him for at least a week.

GZag
01-13-2013, 04:09 PM

Tainted!

JAGzag
01-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Not to mention, Rotnei Clarke and Gonzaga have a long-standing connection; from both his HS(Oklahoma) and Arkansas playing days.

We recruited him on 2 separate occasions. Nearly came here both times, just not the right time or meant to be on either opportunity...

Are you sure we recruited him during his transfer? I didn't get the sense that we were really interested in one year of eligibility. Could be wrong, though.

Baldwinzag
01-13-2013, 04:20 PM
USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/atlantic10/2013/01/13/rotnei-clarke-neck-injury-butler-brad-stevens/1830137/): Butler's Clarke back in gym after injury

Rotnei Clarke found refuge Sunday in the familiar. He was back in the gym shooting.

The school confirmed that Clarke did a light workout on Sunday following the injury that occurred during the Bulldogs’ game at Dayton Saturday afternoon.

His father, Conley, didn't have a medical opinion to deliver. But he knows his son.

"If they're thinking about not letting him play Saturday," the father said, "they're going to have to take him to another county."

The 17th-ranked Bulldogs (14-2) will play No. 8 Gonzaga (16-1) at 9 p.m. ET Saturday in a rare Hinkle Fieldhouse meeting of Top 15 teams.

Conley Clarke said his son has always recovered quickly from physical setbacks.

"He heals like a freak," the father said. "I mean, it's amazing."

Oregonzagnut
01-13-2013, 06:22 PM
http://cmsimg.thestarpress.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BG&Date=20130112&Category=SPORTS0605&ArtNo=301120322&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0&Butler-guard-Rotnei-Clarke-sent-hospital-after-hard-foul-heads-home-team

Now there is a jersey they may retire. :roll: But if he doesn't want that worthless old, cut up jersey, I'll take it.

I think the entire community will be so pumped for this game and that Rotnei will too. Scary game with or without him.

I hurt my neck one time while I was skiing. It felt like I was electrocuted and my ears rang and my eyes went tunnel vision. All those sensations gradually faded after about 10 seconds, but it was scary. Never knew if it was a stinger or not but I have heard similar stories.

23zagmd
01-14-2013, 08:08 AM
Would love to see him out there knocking down 3's for the Zags. I know there will be tons of people saying that we don't have a spot, etc.

I say hogwash! You always have a spot for someone that shoots and plays like him.

Competition is a good thing! I'm starting to drink the Pete Carroll cool-aid despite the loss yesterday.

raise the zag
01-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Rotnei just tweeted and said, "back earlier than projected".

It was noted he was in the gym again today for treatment and a shoot-around.

Can you imagine the emotional lift it will provide Butler & their crowd even if he's able to play just limited mins on Saturday?

Holy moly...they are going to go crazy when he checks into the game, same with his teammates.

We must be ready for this and not afraid to body him up and defend him just as we normally do vs any player.

If he's healthy enough to play, he's healthy enough to be checked or screened hard. I hope our players respond to this b/c Rotnei is scrappy and simply CANNOT be left alone, ever, and sometimes being physical with him on ball screens is a must.

This makes me nervous, not for Rotnei, because he's going to be just fine by all reports, but if our players play SOFT vs him due to empathy.

Baldwinzag
01-14-2013, 01:03 PM
ESPN blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/72704/rotnei-clarke-is-going-to-be-just-fine) just posted this update (11 mins ago):

Rotnei Clarke is going to be just fine

It is impossible to be a sports fan and not be horrified from time to time. Sometimes that horror is the product of a close-up shot of Oakland Raiders fans, but every now and then it comes from seeing an athlete take a hit in the head or neck and watching as that athlete goes limp, watching him be carefully attended to by concerned doctors, watching him carted off on a stretcher. Such moments shock us out of the euphoria of a game. They remind us of our corporeal limits. They make our stomachs churn.

Butler guard Rotnei Clarke was the victim of one such incident in the first half of Butler's 79-73 win at Dayton. Clarke was fouled by the Flyers' Matt Derenbecker on a fast break when he careened head-first into the padded basket stanchion. He fell to the floor and remained there for eight minutes, before he was taken off on a stretcher and moved to nearby Miami Valley Hospital. It was the kind of freaky injury aftermath that looks not only like the end of a season or a career, but the end of a player's way of life. Clarke could easily have been paralyzed.

Instead, Clarke survived. Butler trainer Ryan Gallow told the Indy Star's David Woods that Clarke's spinal cord and cervical discs were fine, and that the injury was a "significant neck sprain." That could cause Clarke to miss a few games, maybe more. But considering the possibility, it was a pretty positive outcome.

The question is how quickly Clarke can be cleared for contact and return to the Bulldogs' lineup. Currently, there is no timetable for that return. Coach Brad Stevens told Woods that Clarke would not play until "he's 100 percent ready and cleared." But Clarke's father, Conley Clarke, had a different diagnosis Sunday:

“If they’re thinking about not letting him play Saturday,” the father said, “they’re going to have to take him to another county.”

He's referring, of course, to Butler's game against the No. 8-ranked Gonzaga Bulldogs, a matchup of the two marquee mid-major programs of the last decade and the first time ESPN's "College GameDay" show will come to you live from glorious Hinkle Fieldhouse. In December, after Butler toppled then-No. 1 Indiana, Clarke told me that's why he came to Butler -- to play in and win big games, to be a part of the major moments this program has specialized in since Stevens took over in 2007. Saturday is about as big of a regular-season game as Butler has. If Clarke isn't cleared to play, I'm guessing it's best everyone listens to his dad.

Also, Butler AD & Coach Stevens just released an update and said, "Rotnei hasn't yet been ruled out for Wednesday."

Oregonzagnut
01-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Who dares foul him hard when he drives? Yet it has to be done or he gets green lights all night long. Pangos is gonna have to hammer him anyway. Regardless if people think he is untouchable.

If he is going to play like nothing happened, then we are going to have to as well. If he can't risk re-injury he shouldn't play. He will be 100%.

BobZag
01-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Good for Rotnei. That could've been devastating. It looked scary. Real good for him.

Baldwinzag
01-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Good for Rotnei. That could've been devastating. It looked scary. Real good for him.

+1

I sincerely hope he plays on Sat: 1. Because it will mean he's healthy enough after a scary incident. 2. Because win, lose, or draw, it wouldn't be the same without him.

Plus, he's fun to watch and makes the game much more exciting.

not to mention, no tainted talk.

bartruff1
01-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Now there is a jersey they may retire. :roll: But if he doesn't want that worthless old, cut up jersey, I'll take it.

I think the entire community will be so pumped for this game and that Rotnei will too. Scary game with or without him.

I hurt my neck one time while I was skiing. It felt like I was electrocuted and my ears rang and my eyes went tunnel vision. All those sensations gradually faded after about 10 seconds, but it was scary. Never knew if it was a stinger or not but I have heard similar stories.

It was in the Boiler Room in Ketchum...

Hoopaholic
01-14-2013, 02:02 PM
I find it disappointing that any zag fan would consider or suggest that we target a player who has been injured with a hard foul.....just not in the cards for me ever......hopefully I am misreading some of the posts I have seen.....

Play solid defense nothing more nothing less.

Oregonzagnut
01-14-2013, 02:16 PM
I find it disappointing that any zag fan would consider or suggest that we target a player who has been injured with a hard foul.....just not in the cards for me ever......hopefully I am misreading some of the posts I have seen.....

Play solid defense nothing more nothing less.

Yes, you are misreading. Our team has ZERO intentional fouls. No member here is suggesting any dirty play EVER!!!!!!.

I use the words "play hard" like we always do. You use solid. Whatever it is, Mark few has used "nasty" and that means play physical inside and out! We will play Rotnei as if nothing happened. Nothing more nothing less.

Actually we may have to play Butler harder than any team we have faced yet this year. And that means physical. That means Rotnei is going to have to play hard too. He will. We will.

Rotnei will be 100% not injured when we play them. He's fine to get our best, most solid hardest basketball we can muster. But we always play fair. sans Olys taunt call.

BobZag
01-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Btw, Few tried hard twice to get Rotnei to Gonzaga. The staff recruited him hard out of high school and, again, when he left Arkansas. He visited. Leon Rice told me Clarke made 95 threes out of 100 attempts when here.

The problem was Rotnei wanted to stay close (driving distance from Tulsa) to home. Geographically, Gonzaga just didn't work for him, which is fine. I never can fault a kid for wanting to play fairly close to home.

But the Zags tried their best to recruit him here.