PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing

siliconzag
01-12-2013, 09:30 AM
I was thinking about fly-fishing this morning for some odd reason. During cold winter months, when I am tempted to place my equanimity at the mercy of 19-year old basketball players, I sometimes picture myself imagine myself on a lovely river; communing with nature and watching trout rise to emerging insects. It calms my tormented soul, allowing me to rise above lifeís vicissitudes like an agile and majestic rainbow trout.

Much has been written about fly-fishing and how it is a Zen activity. It is not something that is easily learned, and neither is it one skill, but instead, a compilation of many skills. It requires experience, intuition, careful observation, stealth, accuracy, finesse, and luck. Good fly fishermen know how to read the river. They know that trout inhabit only some riffles, and that they feed only on the insects that are emerging on that day. They have in their fly box a number of patterns designed to trick the wily trout into believing the imitation of life is real.

In order to be successful at this sport, one must be quite flexible. This means that they must be prepared to recognize a pattern of repeated failure to entice these clever and lovely creatures to bite, and change flies. If this does not produce results, sometimes it is necessary to try different techniques, but when these also fail to produce results, then it is imperative to move on to a new riffle. Flexibility of tactics and strategies is paramount. Sometimes using a fly that you donít totally trust, results in serendipitous success. Sometimes you have to experiment, and put a trusted and favorite fly back into the fly box, because even though it has been productive on other occasions, on this day, it is not. Flexibility and adptability are the keys, and without them you can only be a good fly caster which is important but is not the same as being a good fly fisherman.

bartruff1
01-12-2013, 11:02 AM
" Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish they are after." Henry David Thoreau.

Sili, I have progressed from catch and release with a single barbless hook....to no hook at all !!! The fun being solving the equation and getting a strike and being out there... great fun...bart