PDA

View Full Version : The Sky IS NOT falling

Reborn
01-11-2013, 08:19 AM
First! Congratulations to St Mary's and Randy Bennett for playing an inspired second half. There are some of us on the Board who expected a tough game and we got it. AND WE GOT THE WIN. That's what counts. One of the most dangerous kinds of games that I have seen over the years are the ones when a team is up by almot 20 at half. That kind of a lead seems to cause teams to relax a little too much, and the opponent catches fire and wins at the end. That almost happened last night, but it DID NOT. Kuddos to the Zags for pulling this one out. I really thought SMU might pull that one out last night because I've seen it happen so many times by so many teams. However, it did not happen and that's why we need to give the Zags the kuddos.

Pangos stepped up big time, and that does not surprise me. He seems to have really changed his mind-set after the Illinois loss. I loved his game last night. He appeared to me to take over the game just when GU needed him. He seemed to be saying, "Not in our house you don't!!!" He had the fire all night long, but saved the best for last (again...when we needed him).

Kelly got 31 and could have gotten 40. Kelly knocks down two huge FT at the end of the game. Come on guys. Give him some credit. The Zags hold Delly to one of his worst games ever, and don't think he's happy about that. Also give credit to Holt and Waldo the second half. If Bennett hasn't gotten your respect yet as a coach, then I don't think you are being very open minded.

The important thing is for the Zags to stay focussed one game at a time, and just get the victory. IMO They did that night. As fans we need to remember that every team that Gonzaga plays will play their best game of the year. They will DEFINATELY play with fire. Not only St Mary's but every game. The Zags are 3-0 with two victories on the road. We go on the road again next week. Let's get that one at Portland and make it 4-0. Take 'em one at a time. Don't become disheartened. I think the Zags are doing great.

Does that mean that there were not some areas where the Zags sucked? No. Rebounding was a huge problems and has been recently. It reminds me of how the Zags sucked at free throw shooting at the beginning of the year. They have really fixed that problem and now shoot almost 80% every game. They need to fix this problem soon or they could be in trouble next week at Butler. They have a good week of practice to fix it too. I think they will.

Zagdawg
01-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Up by 20 chant= bad luck.

:)

Good opportunity to have a learning experience without the L.

The team will be fine.

Go Zags

adoptedzag
01-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Hudson made an excellent point in the postgame and said that SMC was in "Survival Mode" They were backed into a corner and it was either curl up and die or fight for your life, well, as it turns out, they wanted to fight. Good for them, now we just need to learn how to counter.

zagco
01-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Zagco always remembers he can barely take watching conference games. We go out and play great against ranked nonconference teams. Then, we get into conference, and we often play as tight as a nut. When's Butler?

titopoet
01-11-2013, 10:10 AM
First! Congratulations to St Mary's and Randy Bennett for playing an inspired second half. There are some of us on the Board who expected a tough game and we got it. AND WE GOT THE WIN. That's what counts. One of the most dangerous kinds of games that I have seen over the years are the ones when a team is up by almot 20 at half. That kind of a lead seems to cause teams to relax a little too much, and the opponent catches fire and wins at the end. That almost happened last night, but it DID NOT. Kuddos to the Zags for pulling this one out. I really thought SMU might pull that one out last night because I've seen it happen so many times by so many teams. However, it did not happen and that's why we need to give the Zags the kuddos.

Pangos stepped up big time, and that does not surprise me. He seems to have really changed his mind-set after the Illinois loss. I loved his game last night. He appeared to me to take over the game just when GU needed him. He seemed to be saying, "Not in our house you don't!!!" He had the fire all night long, but saved the best for last (again...when we needed him).

Kelly got 31 and could have gotten 40. Kelly knocks down two huge FT at the end of the game. Come on guys. Give him some credit. The Zags hold Delly to one of his worst games ever, and don't think he's happy about that. Also give credit to Holt and Waldo the second half. If Bennett hasn't gotten your respect yet as a coach, then I don't think you are being very open minded.

The important thing is for the Zags to stay focussed one game at a time, and just get the victory. IMO They did that night. As fans we need to remember that every team that Gonzaga plays will play their best game of the year. They will DEFINATELY play with fire. Not only St Mary's but every game. The Zags are 3-0 with two victories on the road. We go on the road again next week. Let's get that one at Portland and make it 4-0. Take 'em one at a time. Don't become disheartened. I think the Zags are doing great.

Does that mean that there were not some areas where the Zags sucked? No. Rebounding was a huge problems and has been recently. It reminds me of how the Zags sucked at free throw shooting at the beginning of the year. They have really fixed that problem and now shoot almost 80% every game. They need to fix this problem soon or they could be in trouble next week at Butler. They have a good week of practice to fix it too. I think they will.

Stop it man, just stop it. Take you logical and calm rationality and spin it to some NIH scientists. True fans know that if we don't blowout SMC by five hundred points and Delly does not cry on the middle of the floor, then GU doesn't deserve to go to the NIT. Kidding. I thought it would be interesting to see what the End-of-the-Zags crowd would say. :)

They did not disappoint. The attacks on the players and coaches, you would think the Zags were in the middle of a ten game losing streak. The national media has not even batted an eye on the win. Most realize it was a rivalry game. The biggest news for most of the them about the Zags this morning was Kelly O being left off the midseason Wooden award watch list. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHe4Bewhgdk)

Ekrub
01-11-2013, 10:31 AM
I don't know... There were reports in north Spokane suggesting the sky was indeed falling.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-11-2013, 10:33 AM
We missed some easy ones in the second half. St. Mary's crashed the offensive boards to much success. Holt got hot. But am I worried? Nope.

16-1.

DixieZag
01-11-2013, 10:46 AM
We missed some easy ones in the second half. St. Mary's crashed the offensive boards to much success. Holt got hot. But am I worried? Nope.

16-1.

We played Baylor, OK St., Pepp, SCU and SMC. Three of those were true road games including SCU (notoriously hostile, often lose) and we went 5-0.

I don't think that SMC is in our class as demonstrated by the first half. "Desperation" by SMC can work well if the ball stops falling for GU (so many bunnys missed) and the refs rethink reffing (GU 4 PF first half, 13 PF in the second).

I think that our team was pretty emotionally spent after that 5 game swing, look who SMC played in their last 4 - - - they now have a full week off, a very close away game and then go to their last national test of the year.

16-1 Zag fans. We can talk about "not putting the game away" but I am nearly certain that many many teams would have lost all composure and put up an "L" - - - THIS Zag team won.

ridgebackzag
01-11-2013, 10:59 AM
The Sky IS NOT falling

FWIW, it snowed last night but it was the fluffy kind that brushes right of my car. Beat Portland!

Reborn
01-11-2013, 11:04 AM
FWIW, it snowed last night but it was the fluffy kind that brushes right of my car. Beat Portland!

:lmao::lmao: Hahahaha Good comparison!

jim77
01-11-2013, 12:33 PM
The Gaels are better than some want to admit. Our guys hung tough and finished it....which the've done numerous times. Good win over a good team.

FlyZag
01-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Good post Reborn!

The Gaels are certainly better... but to be honest I think we left A LOT of points out there. There were a number of "bunny" shots that didn't drop. I also think we think of took about 12 - 14 min of the second half off. We won't do that again.

It will be tough in the rematch, we can't count on Delly stinking it up again... But we have proven that we have focus on the road. I see a similar score in Moraga.

Go Zags!!!

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-11-2013, 01:04 PM
If on November 1st, someone told you that by January 11th:

Gonzaga would 16-1 with a Top 10 RPI and Top 10 strength of schedule; and

Gonzaga would be tied with BYU at the top of the WCC at 3-0 having already beaten St. Mary's; and

The Zags would be 5-0 against the Big 12; and

The Zags would be 8-1 against RPI Top-100 teams; and

That the Zags' only loss would be against a Top-15 team; and

That Kelly Olynyk would be the front-runner for WCC POY honors,

Everybody on this board would have been pretty excited to hear all of that.

This team will be okay.

sittingon50
01-11-2013, 03:00 PM
MCMM, I think you're REALLY losing perspective.

;)

bigblahla
01-11-2013, 03:04 PM

Gonzaga would be tied with BYU at the top of the WCC at 3-0 having already beaten St. Mary's; and

This team will be okay.

I'd like some more please. :D

Go!! Zags!!!

Reborn
01-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Good post Reborn!

The Gaels are certainly better... but to be honest I think we left A LOT of points out there. There were a number of "bunny" shots that didn't drop. I also think we think of took about 12 - 14 min of the second half off. We won't do that again.

It will be tough in the rematch, we can't count on Delly stinking it up again... But we have proven that we have focus on the road. I see a similar score in Moraga.

Go Zags!!!

I know exactly what you mean. When I think of how Kelly got 31 pts and missed at least 4 layups he normally makes I was like WOW!!! He would have had 39 pts. And then when I add the 8 or ten points from other layups missed by other players: Stockton 2, Pangos one, Harris 2 and you add another 10 pts and the Zags could have scored 102 points. I feel dizzy when I think how good the Zags could be.

But then I also recall how many wide open 3's the Gael's missed and suddenly I return to reality. 83 points is really great even if we could have scored 102. :):)

Oregonzagnut
01-11-2013, 06:38 PM

This team will be okay.

I'll be honest. Here's what I would have said in November.

1. 16-1? Maybe. I thought we'd lose to OK.St & not sure about the OSC.

2. Tied with BYU at 3-0? Definitely. Beat St Marys? Definitely.

3. Big 12 5-0? No. I thought we would lose to OK St.

4. 8-1 @ Top 100? Maybe.

5. KO's rise to stardom? ?????

I would have a lot of maybes as qualifiers and there are threads way back that show who said what.

Lets start over now.

Will Dower and Edi will arrive and be what we need them to be?

Will anymore opponents come back from 17+ down?

WILL we beat Butler?

Will we go undefeated through the WCC?

Can Kelly make All-American or POY?

Will we win the CHAMPIONSHIP?

Will Olynyk come back next year?

I think you know my answers. The fact is as of now "Maybe" is 100% correct on all of them. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility now. We are Top 10.

But if maybe isn't an option, what say you? Yes or No?

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-11-2013, 07:12 PM
I'd like some more please. :D

Go!! Zags!!!

How about this? As of today, Palm and Lunardi project the Zags as a 2 seed. Palm has Kentucky in the play-in game as a 12 seed and UNC OUTSIDE OF THE FIELD.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

Also, Mark Few is about to retake the top spot among active coaches in NCAA Division I for winning percentage from Roy Williams; and

Beating St. Mary's made him the all-time winner in WCC conference wins. Not bad.

Perspective is fun.

sittingon50
01-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Yeah, but.......................