PDA

View Full Version : Oregonian Blogger Rips McLaughlin

Angelo Roncalli
08-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Wow, just wow.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/beavers/

wazZag
08-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Not a single positive thing you can take from that article. Ouch. Maybe Tony Bennett and company lucked out.

LongIslandZagFan
08-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Honestly, I think this blogger is an idiot.

First, you take one tourney as the context for everything you have to say about a kid. Anyone can have an off weekend. Heck my jumpshot left me for about 3 weeks in my over 30 league... wait, I never really had a good jumpshot, but that isn't the point.. but by the end of the season I was shooting my usual 20% as opposed to the 0% shooting including warmups.

Point I am trying to make is that you cannot take one weekend as the be all end all for a PSA.

Second, you immediately cast dispersions on the kids, saying that he was a quitter and a liar. Honestly, I don't think he was even remotely in a position to make any kind of comment. IMHO that makes his entire diatribe less believable... in fact it made me feel that he had an agenda against this kid. His only "post" from this in-depth coverage of an event is to rip one prospect to shreds?

Look, perhaps the kid isn't all that. Perhaps the author is right on some level about the kid. But from what I read its nothing but an agenda to try and drive the kid away.

former1dog
08-03-2007, 11:51 AM
I agree, LIZF. Not cool to tear it to a kid like that.

hls97
08-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Agreed, but this is the guy who backed out of a commit to the Cougs. He might come to regret that if he continues to play this way.

LongIslandZagFan
08-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Agreed, but this is the guy who backed out of a commit to the Cougs. He might come to regret that if he continues to play this way.

Not disagreeing with that... simply pointing out the biased slant to the article.

This is a great example of the difference between Blogging and real journalism.

sittingon50
08-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Given the current state of journalism LI, I'm not sure there is much of a difference. But that's a discussion for the political board.

LargeWilliam
08-03-2007, 02:45 PM
That whole article was just flat out wrong from an ethics stand point.

Bottom line, anyone with an ounce of ethics would not rip a high school kid. Trust me in my years of covering h/s sports I have seen plenty of kids who had off days and/or showed their back sides. You just do not go there.

DavyZag
08-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Yeah... but the guy is just giving his opinion, and he stated that multiple times. He also gave an open invite for opposing views. I didn't get the sense that he was maliciously ripping the kid... just that he was disappointed in his play and that he's not sure how good of a prospect he is.

And remember, that guy is not affilliated with the Oregonian in any way. It's just an OSU blog hosted on OregonLive.com, similar to how this site and the opinions given here aren't affiliated with the Spokesman Review.

I've seen people criticizing high school kids on here before... I don't see a huge amount of difference, really.

LongIslandZagFan
08-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Yeah... but the guy is just giving his opinion, and he stated that multiple times. He also gave an open invite for opposing views. I didn't get the sense that he was maliciously ripping the kid... just that he was disappointed in his play and that he's not sure how good of a prospect he is.

And remember, that guy is not affilliated with the Oregonian in any way. It's just an OSU blog hosted on OregonLive.com, similar to how this site and the opinions given here aren't affiliated with the Spokesman Review.

I've seen people criticizing high school kids on here before... I don't see a huge amount of difference, really.

Only seen a few people make comments like his about PSAs... and I think a couple of comments have come back to bite certain posters in the arse.

But the point here is that this is a message board, you expect wide ranging opinions, etc. This guy is writing an article essentially and one would expect that it would have such a biased and negative slant to it.

Again, journalism and blogging aren't the same thing, but when one tries to pass himself off as a journalist, like he does, then one would expect that he'd at least try to be fair, which he didn't.

LongIslandZagFan
08-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Given the current state of journalism LI, I'm not sure there is much of a difference. But that's a discussion for the political board.

Journalism truly died just the other day with the stroke of a pen... but like you said 50, that is for another board.