PDA

View Full Version : Student Section

Knotsolucky
01-10-2013, 06:35 PM
We've gotta be proud of our students. Their section is full and they're really pretty rowdy as well. PLUS there's no band tonight so there's more room for students... It's gonna get crazy in here...

Hoopaholic
01-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Sweet

zag944
01-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Intimidating student section turned more than a few calls our way. We dont win that game if we dont get such a great showing for a Christmas Break game.

Pleasant Peninsula
01-10-2013, 09:22 PM
From my perspective (on my couch) I thought the crowd was pretty poor tonight. You could hear a pin drop in there through much of the second half. The crowd was sleepwalking through the final 20 minutes, just like our players were.

Zag@LMU
01-10-2013, 09:32 PM
From my perspective (on my couch) I thought the crowd was pretty poor tonight. You could hear a pin drop in there through much of the second half. The crowd was sleepwalking through the final 20 minutes, just like our players were.

That's because it was. The student section was terrible. I'm really disappointed in my fellow students, that's what happens when average student fans don't have to work for their tickets or seat.

RenoZag
01-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Let's pass legislation banning average student fans from going to games. . .that'll show 'em. . .

:rolleyes:

JeffyJeff
01-10-2013, 09:49 PM
The student section was TERRIBLE tonight. Shocking and amazing.

Beer_Engineer
01-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Ugh, just utterly horrible after the first 10 minutes...

zagzilla
01-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Jeez people. We're you there? I was and they were on it the whole game. Got after the refs in the second half. Ragged every air ball. Jumped around to Zombie Nation. Good work kids.

Bad call by the couch potatoes.

ZZ

gamagin
01-10-2013, 10:25 PM
We've gotta be proud of our students. Their section is full and they're really pretty rowdy as well. PLUS there's no band tonight so there's more room for students... It's gonna get crazy in here...

the kennel club represented, imo. wonderful to see and hear them back.

Pargo the Destroyer
01-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Jeez people. We're you there? I was and they were on it the whole game. Got after the refs in the second half. Ragged every air ball. Jumped around to Zombie Nation. Good work kids.

ZZ

Was there too. Right above the zag bench. Credit the Gaels. Everytime the crowd got loud they shut us up. Great atmosphere though. Note to Santa Clara..... THAT is how you show up to a Christmas break game, minus your ball coach fronting your room. Sad sad sad.

HenneZag
01-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Sometimes hard to tell from the TV...but it seemed awful quiet, could barely hear the chants, and seemed that the first couple rows were clapping or getting into the game, but again, I was watching from the couch.

BTB
01-10-2013, 10:34 PM
I was in the student section and idk what some of you were talking about, everyone around me was pretty dang rowdy, I'm definitely gonna be hoarse tomorrow

Angelo Roncalli
01-10-2013, 10:38 PM
My seats are very close to the student section. They were plenty noisy. B+ effort.

Pleasant Peninsula
01-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Hmm... perhaps it was just the flow of the game and the way the Gaels wrested momentum in the second half that made it seem like the KC was lethargic tonight. Perhaps the crowd is getting unfairly lumped in with team's pedestrian second half performance.

footsteps
01-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Hundreds of students sleep in tents in the snow to get tickets to the the USD game. I think your student section is OK.

Knotsolucky
01-11-2013, 05:17 AM
It's obvious to me that the negative posts above are from people watching on TV. It was a very loud crowd. I thought the students were simply amazing along with the rest of the crowd that were on their feet most of the game.

It was easily the loudest 'winter break' game that I've been to in six years.

Great job students!

Birddog
01-11-2013, 05:45 AM
They seemed to be loud to me. Those of us watching on the tube need to keep in mind that something was wrong with the way ESPN's audio feed was working. I suspect the mikes used to capture game and crowd noise were the culprits. Even the announcers feed was off a little.

gozagswoohoo
01-11-2013, 05:52 AM
I will go out on a limb and say that 90% of schools in the country would give ANYTHING to have a student section like we had last night.

My 'in-state' school, Mizzou, played their FIRST EVER home SEC game a couple days ago, and it wasn't sold out, and I could hear individual people yelling at different points in the game, because it was THAT quiet. Pathetic. Without question.

GO KENNEL CLUB! Way to represent in the midst of your break!

VaBeachZAG
01-11-2013, 06:13 AM
I watch every game on the tube (even if it means staying up til 1:30 a.m. on the East coast). I have concluded that you just can't get a real feel for the noise level in the Kennel from the TV. Reports on this board will often talk about how awsome and deafening the croud was in a given game, yet that rarely comes through on the TV. Announcers will literally gush over the atmosphere in the Kennel game after game, but you would hardly notice it from the TV thanks to the darn noise filters on the mikes and the poor camera angles when shooting the Kennel Club. Dial back the filters and get wide angle panorama shots of the Kennel Club bouncing to Zombie Nation and then, maybe, the Kennel's true atmosphere could come through the TV.

ZagsNP
01-11-2013, 07:48 AM
I was fortunate enough to attend the game, my seat was directly behind the Kennel Club. They were on their feet, cheering & jeering the entire game. However, I noticed they seemed a bit distracted when St Marys was threatening near the end of the game. The rest of the crowd was on their feet & cheering a lot during the second half as well. And, yes it was loud! My ears are still ringing.

adoptedzag
01-11-2013, 08:14 AM
It was a surreal scene in the kennel at the start of the 2nd half. Its like the air was let out of the building. The first half was easy to get into, because all of our circus shots were falling. When times got tough, we didn't have any emotion out of the gym to will our team until like ~5 minutes left in the game.

sittingon50
01-11-2013, 10:13 AM
The students were VERY good!

:clap:

Zag@LMU
01-11-2013, 12:01 PM

ZZ

Yes I was there, in the KC as a matter of fact, and it was not good. Barely any students were jumping during the "ohhhh" chant when we were on D, the airball chants were hit and miss, and many times I couldn't even tell what we were chanting because no one but the KC board was chanting. KC should be much better. This was a LC State or NNU type performance by the KC, we looked like we didn't even know we were playing a D1 school let alone our biggest rival.

I was more than happy with the old people's side though. They showed that they can manage to stand and cheer for over a minute last night.

Proudzagmom
01-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Yes I was there, in the KC as a matter of fact, and it was not good. Barely any students were jumping during the "ohhhh" chant when we were on D, the airball chants were hit and miss, and many times I couldn't even tell what we were chanting because no one but the KC board was chanting. KC should be much better. This was a LC State or NNU type performance by the KC, we looked like we didn't even know we were playing a D1 school let alone our biggest rival.

I was more than happy with the old people's side though. They showed that they can manage to stand and cheer for over a minute last night.

My two daughters went back to GU early to attend the game. They said a lot of their friends had already booked their flights home for Christmas break before the schedule came out and had made plans to fly back this weekend. (I know my youngest daughter can't get into her dorm until Sunday.) They said there were a lot of new faces in the crowd, but it was stilll loud. To say that "no one but the KC board was chanting" is a little harsh, because I happen to know two students who are not board members who bring it every game. :) Given the timing of this game, I think the student section was well represented.

Knotsolucky
01-11-2013, 09:50 PM

Zag@LMU I'm sure many of us are very delighted that you were more than happy with the 'Old People's Side.' AND how delighted you are that some of us managed to stand and cheer for over a minute. Geez, I'm smiling as I write knowing you were happy with our side and the fact that we were able to stand and cheer for over a minute. How nice of you...

Although its too bad the impromptu Kennel Club that came in to cheer instead of finishing their winter break with family and friends weren't that good. Well it just breaks my heart that they weren't up to your standards either... It's just shamefull, isn't it?

If I had to, I would guess you're about ten years old... Most of us 'Old People' were Gonzaga fans before you we're even born...

I think I'm speaking for many when I say the Kennel Club was just fine. As far as the 'Old People' are concerned, I think we were all were excited just to be there to cheer on our team. Fortunately many of us made you happy that we could stand and cheer for over a minute. Unfortunately those of us that didn't meet your one minute standards really wish we could've. We're all sorry we must've disappointed you... We wouldn't have wasted our time coming if not to cheer on our Zags... For many of us time is limited...

Although we aren't able to stand, jump and cheer like you we 'Old People' are there for the same reason as you... To cheer on our Zags... We really do our best...

ZagsGoZags
01-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Dear Knotsolucky

With all due respect I tend to agree with the student. And my views are not directed to people who are unable to get out of their wheelchairs, or whose voices cannot go much louder than soft talking or whispering. But even those could bring noise makers, or signs they could hold over their heads to increase their height.

I have only had the fortune to attend about six games in the Kennel in the last few years, and I have the same opinion. The Kennel club provides about 95% of the support the team can hear. When I think of how many thousands of people would get into the MacCarthy Center and help raise the roof, it is disappointing to see the other fans sitting politely clapping, like in church after a soloist. I have often cheered about 1/2 of the volume and chants of the Kennel Club and social pressure finally prevailed for me to 'calm down' is the best way I can put it. The fans in the Spokane Arena, however, are often more from the Proletariat and some of them can go wild with the KC.

It isn't age vs students. It is lack of energy and lack of decibels vs. those who provide the kind of support that the players can hear and feel. Yes the season ticket holders have the funds and the right to be observers rather than participants in the game. And the money they provide probably helps the team live in better conditions than otherwise. But, personally, if there was just one game a year where effort, rather than money, let people in the gym, such as first come first serve, even for expensive tickets, the Kennel Club would finally have some real help from the old folks side. I am over 65 years old myself.

asoc
01-12-2013, 08:43 AM
You think everyone at a Seahawks home game are young whipper snappers?
No, but everyone gets as loud as they can on defense.

If you want to truly support the team, then your goal should be to leave the game feeling just as exhausted as the players.

Give them the energy they are giving you.

ALSO, you need to be cheering your loudest when the team is playing poorly. That is when they need you the most. DO NOT let the other team quiet you. EVER. If they make a big play, stay loud and keep YOUR team into it. Let your energy lift the team.

I could go on and on about SUPPORTing a team in person...