PDA

View Full Version : What is Kelly's upside

zag buddy
01-07-2013, 04:06 PM
I have not seen a 7' with the mind set and execution of a point guard ever. I believe it opens doors for him that is unique to that position whether it's at the 4 or 5. I believe the nba teams will be drooling when they consider how his skills could help their team. I expect Kelly to go top 10 when he makes the jump. He has either graduated or is near to it so there is no reason for him to stay if he is as good as I think. The only question to me is how well his D translates to the nba and with his workethic and mind set I believe he is on his way to becoming very proficient in that area. The majority of his fowls have been ticy, tack trying to do guard things with his hands. When he realizies that he is too valuable to the team for the occasional steal he gets, he will be a much better player. Just a guard skill he has not given up yet. Your thoughts.

jazzdelmar
01-07-2013, 04:32 PM
His upside is indeed the nba. In his freshman year I said he among all the stars on that team had the best shot at the league.

Oregonzagnut
01-07-2013, 04:33 PM
He is proving to the media and himself that he can bring the ball up like he used to and also shoot from three. His upside for NBA GMs and coaches is what is going to dictate his departure this year. If one single GM states they want Kelly in any part of the first round, other GM's will start to study his game more closely.

Once that happens, his draft stock will rise out of sheer speculation. Speculation is a dangerous thing in the NBA and the stock market. Its boom or bust and the majority "bust", or at least fail to live up to the hype. Olynyk isn't going to be a bust though. Every part of his game still seems a little rough and I for one am hoping his heart lies with Gonzaga getting a final four or better in 2013-14. If we do it this year, most of the attention will be on him throughout this process and he will be a lottery pick. I just hope Harris isn't overshadowed and goes un-drafted. I hope Harris gets the minutes and Kelly shares more with Karno and Dower when we can.

No one shows that much sudden progress without being in the front half of the learning curve. Kelly hasn't hit the peak yet and I think he is only at about 75% and still moving up the curve.

Mantua
01-07-2013, 05:13 PM
He is proving to the media and himself that he can bring the ball up like he used to and also shoot from three. His upside for NBA GMs and coaches is what is going to dictate his departure this year. If one single GM states they want Kelly in any part of the first round, other GM's will start to study his game more closely.

Once that happens, his draft stock will rise out of sheer speculation. Speculation is a dangerous thing in the NBA and the stock market. Its boom or bust and the majority "bust", or at least fail to live up to the hype. Olynyk isn't going to be a bust though. Every part of his game still seems a little rough and I for one am hoping his heart lies with Gonzaga getting a final four or better in 2013-14. If we do it this year, most of the attention will be on him throughout this process and he will be a lottery pick. I just hope Harris isn't overshadowed and goes un-drafted. I hope Harris gets the minutes and Kelly shares more with Karno and Dower when we can.

No one shows that much sudden progress without being in the front half of the learning curve. Kelly hasn't hit the peak yet and I think he is only at about 75% and still moving up the curve.

Even Kelly's hairstyle overshadows Harris' hairstyle in the media!

An agile 7 footer is a big deal. I agree that KO needs to improve defensively, mostly on his footwork. I like Harris and I hope he is appreciated at season's end.

Mojo13
01-07-2013, 05:26 PM
In my humble opinion...
1) Harris is a second rounder at best (probably late). And most 2nd rounders don't stick in the NBA for long (if at all). He will have a long and successful Euro and FIBA career though.
2) KO should declare if he is going to be a 1st rounder. No doubt. Too much downside risk staying another year, not enough upside. Plus, doesnt he graduate this year as well? I don't see why he would stay.
Hmmm....maybe if he really wants a national championship he should transfer to Kentucky? No need to sit out as a graduating transfer right? Ok...just kidding, I'm trolling with that...

bostonzagfan
01-07-2013, 05:36 PM
I have not seen a 7' with the mind set and execution of a point guard ever. I believe it opens doors for him that is unique to that position whether it's at the 4 or 5. I believe the nba teams will be drooling when they consider how his skills could help their team. I expect Kelly to go top 10 when he makes the jump. He has either graduated or is near to it so there is no reason for him to stay if he is as good as I think. The only question to me is how well his D translates to the nba and with his workethic and mind set I believe he is on his way to becoming very proficient in that area. The majority of his fowls have been ticy, tack trying to do guard things with his hands. When he realizies that he is too valuable to the team for the occasional steal he gets, he will be a much better player. Just a guard skill he has not given up yet. Your thoughts.

uh, no.

VaBeachZAG
01-07-2013, 05:37 PM
KO has never had real game experience before this year. He apparently has put in a lot of work changing his body to fit his new role as a post player, and will have to put in a lot more work adjusting to his this new role. The more attention he garners (and very justifiably so) the more opponents are going to double and even triple team him. As a result, I expect his offensive numbers to come down some. Of course, the WCC is not exactly a treasure trove of bigs, so I am not sure how much the double/triple teaming will slow him down, but slow him down to some extent it will.

I am not a fan of the NBA and would hate to see him leave after this year, but I know he will have to do so if he reaches the first round of the draft. I think KO will have to grow appreciably on the defensive side to have any chance at a first round pick this year. I guess time will tell.

Oregonzagnut
01-07-2013, 05:47 PM
In my humble opinion...
1) Harris is a second rounder at best (probably late). And most 2nd rounders don't stick in the NBA for long (if at all). He will have a long and successful Euro and FIBA career though.
2) KO should declare if he is going to be a 1st rounder. No doubt. Too much downside risk staying another year, not enough upside. Plus, doesnt he graduate this year as well? I don't see why he would stay.
Hmmm....maybe if he really wants a national championship he should transfer to Kentucky? No need to sit out as a graduating transfer right? Ok...just kidding, I'm trolling with that...

With several bona fide NBA prospects and 3 seniors who will go pro somewhere else, I see championship potential here, not at Kentucky. If Butler can be runner up twice, Gonzaga can too. If you look a the make-up of final four teams in the past, we have the most talented team we have ever had and I believe KO, Harris, Pangos, Bell and Stockton will get at the minimum NBA invites to camps at some point.

A lot can happen in one year. So I hope Kelly will reward Mark Few and the program that waited a year for him to develop and stood by him when he thought about leaving for more PT.

Kelly Olynyk #1 overall pick in the 2014 draft and NCAA national champion! How does that sound Kelly?

bballbeachbum
01-07-2013, 06:32 PM
keeping the focus on his college experience for a second, he can be an All American if he can continue to express himself the way he has so far this season. Everyone's taking notice, and more performances like the ones at Leavey, Stillwater and Pullman will further that

he's focused on winning and the team kicking butt I think, not himself, and that is freeing him up to go off personally in aggressive attack mode, because it's what the team needs, my opinion

what a performance for the career high. Awesome

CDC84
01-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Santa Clara was the first game all season that Kelly put together two halves of high level basketball. It was also a game where he managed to stay out of foul trouble. He needs to show consistency.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Kelly v. Brandon Davies should be fun to watch.

CDC84
01-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Davies is one guy who might be able to defend KO successfully on the perimeter. He has length, athleticism and a bit more lateral quickness than some of the guys who have tried to guard KO. But by having Davies guard KO out on the perimeter, you take away his shotblocking in the paint and open the lane for cutters.

OZZY
01-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Good point CDC, that would allow for his passing skills to come to the fore....I also think that EH ands KO will be going after Davies to get some fouls on him like he did against USF. I am not usre that they have the front court depth of GU or even SMC.

Zagnificent
01-07-2013, 09:51 PM
If you look a the make-up of final four teams in the past, we have the most talented team we have ever had and I believe KO, Harris, Pangos, Bell and Stockton will get at the minimum NBA invites to camps at some point.

Stockton will never be looked at as an NBA prospect. Both Bell and Pangos have A LOT more work to do for that to be within the realm of possibility. NBA guards are larger, faster, and generally better defenders. A John Stockton type player only comes around once in a generation. I don't see either Pangos or Stockton Jr. making the NBA leap. Pangos has a 5% chance though (rough estimation).

Oregonzagnut
01-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Stockton will never be looked at as an NBA prospect. Both Bell and Pangos have A LOT more work to do for that to be within the realm of possibility. NBA guards are larger, faster, and generally better defenders. A John Stockton type player only comes around once in a generation. I don't see either Pangos or Stockton Jr. making the NBA leap. Pangos has a 5% chance though (rough estimation).

Never is too strong a statement, and Stockton has made many people including some of the most die-hard Gonzaga fans, eat crow. I agree with your analysis of NBA guards and the odds, but neither Pangos, Bell or Stockton are done with their college careers yet. So until then, I will think positively even if I am in my own fantasy Dream Zag world.

Zagnificent
01-07-2013, 10:31 PM
I would call you crazy but I was among those who thought Few was crazy for playing Mike Hart and even giving Stockton minutes in the past few years. And who could have foreseen the Olynyk transformation. I suppose that's possible for Stockton, but everything is stacked against him.

WallaWallaZag
01-08-2013, 12:12 AM
I would call you crazy but I was among those who thought Few was crazy for playing Mike Hart and even giving Stockton minutes in the past few years. And who could have foreseen the Olynyk transformation. I suppose that's possible for Stockton, but everything is stacked against him.

one thing stockton has going for him is his name and genes...he may get a shot that an identical person with a different last name wouldn't get.

bballbeachbum
01-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Santa Clara was the first game all season that Kelly put together two halves of high level basketball. It was also a game where he managed to stay out of foul trouble. He needs to show consistency.

interesting observation CDC, as I'd say he's been consistently more consistent, but sure he could be even more consistent...who couldn't?

He's become the go to guy, and consistently delivering in that role, on the road no less, stepping up big in the 2nd halves because the team has gone to him and needed him, and he has, so far, consistently responded to that opportunity with huge game turning performances seems to me

interesting how perspectives on the same observations can be so diverse.

gamagin
01-08-2013, 09:09 AM
interesting observation CDC, as I'd say he's been consistently more consistent, but sure he could be even more consistent...who couldn't?

He's become the go to guy, and consistently delivering in that role, on the road no less, stepping up big in the 2nd halves because the team has gone to him and needed him, and he has, so far, consistently responded to that opportunity with huge game turning performances seems to me

interesting how perspectives on the same observations can be so diverse.

Some enjoy watching the dance while others zero in on the steps. You are watching & enjoying the dance. Me, too.

jazzdelmar
01-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Never is too strong a statement, and Stockton has made many people including some of the most die-hard Gonzaga fans, eat crow. I agree with your analysis of NBA guards and the odds, but neither Pangos, Bell or Stockton are done with their college careers yet. So until then, I will think positively even if I am in my own fantasy Dream Zag world.

i dont think the term "dream" does your thoughts on stocks, bell and pangos in the nba anywhere near justice. love to have some of what youre imbibing, though...:)

gueastcoast
01-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Given that KO took a redshirt year during which he completely retooled/revamped his game, missed the first few games of the season, and then came off the bench the first few games after he did start playing, he is rounding to form/becoming more consistent as quickly as could reasonably be expected.

Mojo13
01-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Kelly moves into the First round on NBADraft.net's 2013 Mock Draft.
http://nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft

Going...going...

Gone?

Ekrub
01-10-2013, 09:57 AM
I think KO goes first round. Could work his way up to a lottery pick. Happy for him.

Stockton won't be an NBA player. If Bouldin couldn't land somewhere, Stockton wont either. i do believe he will play overseas if he wants to though.

007Zag
01-10-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm starting to think the "violation" was that Kelly was too good, and Few was trying to keep him hidden from scouts, so that he wouldn't rise to high on the draft boards and would come back for another year.

Malastein
01-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Kelly isn't a point guard. If he continues to improve, and at this point I really see no reason he shouldn't, then I'd think he could become a quality rotation player on an NBA team. I like his back to the basket game now, but he still needs to really hone everything he is doing well right now. I think he has a bit of a tendency to over dribble, and he's got to get better at knowing when to attack and when to know to pass out. The dribbling is leading him to have a higher than necessary turnover rate.

He's also a bit inconsistent on the boards and blocking out. Defensively, he still has a long way to go. Offensively, he can play in the league; but he's got to continue rounding out his game. Loving that he's embraced the position he should be playing, since there has never been a guy taller than 6'8 who has successfully ran the point in the NBA. And the two guys who have done are two of the greatest to play the game(LeBron and Magic).

Zagger
01-10-2013, 03:58 PM
KO's upside - he has a darn good attitude and good team intelligence.

canzagada
01-10-2013, 04:47 PM
has KO in the first round now
http://nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft

DixieZag
01-10-2013, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=Malastein;852723]Kelly isn't a point guard. If he continues to improve, and at this point I really see no reason he shouldn't, then I'd think he could become a quality rotation player on an NBA team. I like his back to the basket game now, but he still needs to really hone everything he is doing well right now. I think he has a bit of a tendency to over dribble, and he's got to get better at knowing when to attack and when to know to pass out. The dribbling is leading him to have a higher than necessary turnover rate.

An excellant eval.

I may be thinking with my heart here, but I think that Kelly still has plenty of work left to do before he will be assured a solid first round pick. For all his skill, Kelly needs to beat out the potential seen in the world's 19 year olds that can jump out of the gym or are lightning fast. The NBA drafts raw athleticism (strength, speed and size) far and away ahead of skill level. Kelly is not an uber athlete, he is uber skilled - so he has to become even more so.

He needs to work on driving off the pass. What I see is a player who receives the ball and then decides what he wants to do, he needs to start his moves prior to receiving the ball (something that Calvary was SO good at) and trusting his BB instincts to dish the ball, pull up a jumper or drive to the rim.

And he needs to work on getting all of his 7 feet on defense.