PDA

View Full Version : Dickau and Diction

Zag 77
01-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Not trying to be mean here, but Dan needs a little work on his TV commentating. I believe he is a graduate of the GU Broadcast Communications Dept.? :eek:

My goodness, he must have mispronounced Elias Harris 51 times last night, with Heister subtly inserting a comment with the correct pronunciation soon after until he finally gave up. Dan kept pronouncing "Elias" as to rhyme with "Elliot." :horse:

I will say that by the last 10 minutes of the broadcast I thought he was a little more relaxed and speaking in a conversational manner (or maybe I was just getting used to it). :fingergun:

At least he does not name drop about all his NBA buddies like Craig Ehlo, and he is not trying to do the Dizzy Dean schtick.

hooter73
01-06-2013, 07:28 PM
hes a wiener, so says my wife.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-06-2013, 07:32 PM
If I'm watching a Zags game, then it's a good day. Elmer Fudd could be doing the color, and I'd still enjoy it.

jimmy b
01-06-2013, 07:40 PM
and enjoy the broadcasts. All three have improved.

UberZagFan
01-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Sorry but loved Dickau as a player...not so much as a color analyst. Doesn't add much and contracts a lot. Cliche-Ville. If that's a word.

Shanachie
01-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Did you just use "Heister" and "subtly" in the same sentence?

Oregonzagnut
01-06-2013, 09:34 PM
If I'm watching a Zags game, then it's a good day. Elmer Fudd could be doing the color, and I'd still enjoy it.

I don't mind Dan all too much but he isn't horrible. To me Elmer Fudd > Dick Vitale.

Id rather hear this:
Elmer Fudd: I'm a wed-hot sportsman after wild game. Heh-heh-heh-heh.

Than hear this: [QUOTE]"Hes a Diaper Dandy and a PTPer tonight, baby! /QUOTE]

HOOTER
01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
and enjoy the broadcasts. All three have improved.

I didn't enjoy listening to the three of them fawn all over Santa Clara the other night to be honest.

TheZagPhish
01-06-2013, 10:09 PM
I didn't enjoy listening to the three of them fawn all over Santa Clara the other night to be honest.

I thought that they'd gotten three of those Keating 100s.

hondo
01-06-2013, 10:22 PM
overcompensation

jpn17
01-06-2013, 11:52 PM

I expect those guys to be homerish, they are the Gonzaga guys after all, but wow I thought I was watching the Santa Clara broadcast after listening to Richard Fox all game. Every play by Gonzaga was a foul, every foul on Santa Clara should have been a non call and just gushing on and on about Foster, Trasolini and Roquemore. I couldn't believe what I was listening to.

teacher56
01-07-2013, 03:44 AM
Hey, come on now...after ehlo/Heister...Fox/Dickau/Heister are awesome!

Atleast these guys mostly stick to the subject matter, ie, basketball!

I used to have to turm my TV to mute the Ehlo/Heister did the talking.

These guys, I find quite knowledgable about Zag basketball and they keep Heister from going off into Ehloism land. Heister needs guidance.

I too thought they were particularly kind to Santa Clara and had to doubletake who was broadcasting for us.

And besides, have you listened to the national broadcasts...who the hell is O LA NICK and what is GON ZAAAGA?

jazzdelmar
01-07-2013, 04:12 AM
I put volume low. They are all three nonprofessional. Heister is as irritating as he was with Ehlo, engages in long chats over the game action, tries but fails to be folksy, and persistently asks his colleagues about their playing days, which were years ago. DD is the easiest of the three to listen to. He is knowledgeable. But his skills are weak. Fox is the worst, actually. His voice is gravelly and annoying and all he seems to do is play up the bigs, both teams. He steps in whenever he pleases and seems to want to get in the greatest number of words. As bad as they are during the game, the pre game and halftime reports are execrable.

I don't know what was at play Saturday. They sounded like the SC team..

titopoet
01-07-2013, 04:23 AM
Not trying to be mean here, but Dan needs a little work on his TV commentating. I believe he is a graduate of the GU Broadcast Communications Dept.? :eek:

My goodness, he must have mispronounced Elias Harris 51 times last night, with Heister subtly inserting a comment with the correct pronunciation soon after until he finally gave up. Dan kept pronouncing "Elias" as to rhyme with "Elliot." :horse:

I will say that by the last 10 minutes of the broadcast I thought he was a little more relaxed and speaking in a conversational manner (or maybe I was just getting used to it). :fingergun:

At least he does not name drop about all his NBA buddies like Craig Ehlo, and he is not trying to do the Dizzy Dean schtick.

I hope you know he is pronouncing Elias in the traditional German pronunciation. He was saying the E name they way E grew up hearing. I know because I have a name most Americans can't prononce and I really appreciate when someone gets it right. DD knows and interacts with the team;he probably does this for E. Dan is learning and getting better. But this criticism doesn't hold water.

bartruff1
01-07-2013, 05:20 AM
If I'm watching a Zags game, then it's a good day. Elmer Fudd could be doing the color, and I'd still enjoy it. They are just background noise to me, especially Fox...he just rambles on and on.... there are a few of the National Broadcast Teams I listen to.... but not Dicky V..... I actually mute him.

Cavebear33
01-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Still miss Dennis Patchin.

Birddog
01-07-2013, 06:54 AM
Three is too many on any basketball broadcast team. Heister and/or his producer have no clue how to do a professional play by play broadcast. I'll give credit to Heister for his interviews, but constantly asking Fox and Dickau about when they played doesn't cut it. IMO, the level of professionalism is about on a par with Wayne and Garth or Doug and Bob McKenzie,

I suspect the fawning over SCU was because this was also aired in the Bay Area, just a guess on my part though. Perhaps they didn't want to appear so "homerish".

Frankly, I liked the "Homer and Jethro" show better than I do "The Three Stooges".

Bogozags
01-07-2013, 07:40 AM
I hope you know he is pronouncing Elias in the traditional German pronunciation. He was saying the E name they way E grew up hearing. I know because I have a name most Americans can't prononce and I really appreciate when someone gets it right. DD knows and interacts with the team;he probably does this for E. Dan is learning and getting better. But this criticism doesn't hold water.

One thing about opinions, "everyone has one and they all stink."

I agree with titopoet. DD was pronouncing Elias's name correctly, which I appreciate.

In addition, "The Three Amigos" were IMO pretty objective, unlike the other WCC/PAC12 broadcasting teams to which i have listened. I appreciate listening to the information given about both teams' players. Many might well want to totally hear only about our Zags, so this past game's broadcast was most probably lacking to you.

In addition, "The Three Amigos" are IMO much better and more entertaining than Ehlo and Heister, although, the Elhoisms were sometimes pretty interesting.

Reborn
01-07-2013, 07:49 AM
I put volume low. They are all three nonprofessional. Heister is as irritating as he was with Ehlo, engages in long chats over the game action, tries but fails to be folksy, and persistently asks his colleagues about their playing days, which were years ago. DD is the easiest of the three to listen to. He is knowledgeable. But his skills are weak. Fox is the worst, actually. His voice is gravelly and annoying and all he seems to do is play up the bigs, both teams. He steps in whenever he pleases and seems to want to get in the greatest number of words. As bad as they are during the game, the pre game and halftime reports are execrable.

I don't know what was at play Saturday. They sounded like the SC team..

I absolutely agree. The announcers made what was a great game on Saturday pretty irritating at times. I find Fox's voice so irritating to listen to. If I was able to get the radio broadcast I would chose it over the TV.

hooter73
01-07-2013, 08:15 AM
To clarify, as much as Dickau is not great, I love the threesome especially over Elho. I like the perspective Fox and DD bring as players and that they arent Homers, they can appreciate good talent and say if a call was bogus or not, and more importantly, why.

Still a wiener though.

U Zig, I Zag
01-07-2013, 08:38 AM
First of all, I am still thankful that we get to watch all the games on TV. Not every team can say that.

That said, if I could give a few tips to the guys:

DD: Just spit it out. Just say what you are trying to say and don't try to church it up. Think more Cormac McCarthy 'The Road' and less Tom Robbins 'Even Cowgirls Get the Blues'.

Fox: I actually like Fox - his voice has a deep timber that some people might not like. He does tend to know what he is talking about. Less of the 'old zags' stuff though (that goes for all of them). Treat each game like the audience is new and you are there to provide a vocal description to what is happening on the court. For some folks it's nice that so and so played like Turiaf did... but don't talk about it the entire game. It has ZERO reference for most folks and if it's a 'neutral' broadcast it sounds homerish.

Heister: drop the folksy whimsical BS. It's just grating. No, 'something, something, something! Ladies and Gentleman!!'.

As a threesome, there is this odd banter and somewhat forced feeling to the whole interaction. A story now and again, or something about Fox thinking a shark bumped into his leg while swimming in Malibu or whatever, that's fine. Get a jab in there during a timeout or whatever. A lot of the broadcast teams do that. But frankly, they need to tighten the whole thing up.

If they were an offense, I would say they - as a collective - spend way to much time dribbling around aimlessly and not enough time making sharp, crisp passes that actually get you somewhere.

HOOTER
01-07-2013, 08:41 AM
they arent Homers

No question.

I think that's their concern. They don't want to be labeled as homers so they tend to say lot's of good things about the opponent. I think they take it a bit too far.

Larryzag
01-07-2013, 09:03 AM
I've been doing this for years. Turn down the TV and listen to the radio while watching. Much better.

Zag 77
01-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Larryzag, in recent years it has become impossible to do that as the tv feed and the radio feed are several seconds apart and it will drive you nuts if you try to watch TV while listening to the radio.

scott257
01-07-2013, 10:35 AM
I think they are pretty bad as a group. I miss Ehlo - he at least provided some comic relief. These guys take themselves a bit too seriously and as a result, they stink.

Ekrub
01-07-2013, 10:46 AM
You can feel tension between all three guys, and that can be distracting. Ive never been a Heister fan, so maybe I'm biased in saying this, but I think he initiates a lot Of the tension by trying to be funny and jab at DD or Fox but he comes off as rude and annoying. I think DD and Fox are decent... But we only need one of them. Replace Heister with a true professional and drop one of DD or Fox.

cjm720
01-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Dickau adds a lot with his experience with the team and in the pros. I like him and he'll become more polished with times.

What always gets my attention, however, is how small he looks in between Heister and Fox...wife comments on it all the time too!

CDC84
01-07-2013, 11:24 AM
I think Richard Fox is outstanding.

The three man crew is just too much. I prefer just Heister and Fox.

gamagin
01-07-2013, 11:26 AM
You can feel tension between all three guys, and that can be distracting. Ive never been a Heister fan, so maybe I'm biased in saying this, but I think he initiates a lot Of the tension by trying to be funny and jab at DD or Fox but he comes off as rude and annoying. I think DD and Fox are decent... But we only need one of them. Replace Heister with a true professional and drop one of DD or Fox.

Heister is ok. I like Fox and DD needs more experience. They all need to prepare more and get more in to the history of the program, imo. Heister's job is to keep the conversations going. But since he doesn't prepare, he wings it and so do Fox and DD, imo.

I think who is needed is a real fan who is also a broadcaster. Dennis Patchin, for e.g., not only has the gift of gab, he follows sports, he talks sports all day long and he lives it. I'm not saying Patchin is the answer. I'm saying someone with his strong background would be the type of person instead of Heister, whose interests appear to be elsewhere but he needs or has agreed to do the job.

There's another fellow, Toby something on 1510. Don't know if I could stand him for long but he works his tail off and is very much consumed with sports.

Dick Wright was not a great radio voice. He was an excellent reporter and a big fan who studied his subject and knew his history. He could talk sports because he followed them with a passion.

Tom Hudson, our radio announcer, and Matt Santangelo, I like as well. Fox was admirable on the radio and came to t.v. Now he's getting lukewarm reviews, at least here on the GUB.

I've only watched these cats a few times. And I can see where they could get old. So, do your homework, all three of you. And get some canned interviews, some time killers, some historic moment clips and tell the GU story when there is dead time.

Watch the game and enjoy it when things are working well, and comment when you believe you have something to say. Interview fans and officials and enjoy the process. Do that and we will, too.

SteeleMan
01-07-2013, 11:33 AM
It's amazing that GU Basketball generates enough ad revenue that they can send 2 guys for radio and 3 for TV.

Radio is good and easy to listen to and follow the game and they do a pretty good job painting the picture. TV is far less professionally crisp. Fox does the best job in that group and definatley has the most upside. DD would win on the golf course though, and Heister would be tops in a beer chugging contest.

Zagtana
01-07-2013, 11:48 AM
First off, I much prefer watching Zag games on ROOT than on ESPN. On ESPN, the commentators continually go off yacking about teams, subjects, etc. other than the Zag game I’m watching. This usually includes covering the tv game screen with promo graphics for upcoming ESPN games I could care less about. At least Dickau, Heister and Fox usually stay with the Zag game I’m watching, and promos for other games are shown during time outs. Sure, the ESPN guys might be “smoother” but I enjoy the “local” feel and insight the ROOT guys provide. But when all is said and done, I’m just thankful that between ESPN and ROOT I get to watch all Zag games.

Birddog
01-07-2013, 03:03 PM
First of all, I am still thankful that we get to watch all the games on TV. Not every team can say that.

That said, if I could give a few tips to the guys:

DD: Just spit it out. Just say what you are trying to say and don't try to church it up. Think more Cormac McCarthy 'The Road' and less Tom Robbins 'Even Cowgirls Get the Blues'.

Fox: I actually like Fox - his voice has a deep timber that some people might not like. He does tend to know what he is talking about. Less of the 'old zags' stuff though (that goes for all of them). Treat each game like the audience is new and you are there to provide a vocal description to what is happening on the court. For some folks it's nice that so and so played like Turiaf did... but don't talk about it the entire game. It has ZERO reference for most folks and if it's a 'neutral' broadcast it sounds homerish.

Heister: drop the folksy whimsical BS. It's just grating. No, 'something, something, something! Ladies and Gentleman!!'.

As a threesome, there is this odd banter and somewhat forced feeling to the whole interaction. A story now and again, or something about Fox thinking a shark bumped into his leg while swimming in Malibu or whatever, that's fine. Get a jab in there during a timeout or whatever. A lot of the broadcast teams do that. But frankly, they need to tighten the whole thing up.

If they were an offense, I would say they - as a collective - spend way to much time dribbling around aimlessly and not enough time making sharp, crisp passes that actually get you somewhere.

Best summation yet.

matty1090
01-07-2013, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=

At least he does not name drop about all his NBA buddies like Craig Ehlo,.[/QUOTE]

No, what's more important is the fact that HE ISN'T CRAIG EHLO. I think he and Fox are worlds above the corn ball routine of heister and ehlo that we we had to suffer through the past ten years.

zaguarxj
01-07-2013, 03:11 PM
I miss Ehlo. Yeah, he was goofy but he was pretty funny. Sometimes he was funny intentionally.

SteelZag
01-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Three is too many on any basketball broadcast team. Heister and/or his producer have no clue how to do a professional play by play broadcast. I'll give credit to Heister for his interviews, but constantly asking Fox and Dickau about when they played doesn't cut it. IMO, the level of professionalism is about on a par with Wayne and Garth or Doug and Bob McKenzie,

I suspect the fawning over SCU was because this was also aired in the Bay Area, just a guess on my part though. Perhaps they didn't want to appear so "homerish".

Frankly, I liked the "Homer and Jethro" show better than I do "The Three Stooges".

I think having Doug and Bob McKenzie as broadcasters would be very apropos this season as well as spice up games.

Birddog
01-07-2013, 03:46 PM
I think having Doug and Bob McKenzie as broadcasters would be very apropos this season as well as spice up games.
Maybe we can get the three of them to wear toques for the broadcast. We already know they're hosers.

maynard g krebs
01-07-2013, 03:55 PM
I think Richard Fox is outstanding.

The three man crew is just too much. I prefer just Heister and Fox.

Seems to me that every time Dickau and Fox disagree I find myself agreeing w/ Dickau. For example, Fox never likes any shot by the guards early in the clock, several times complaining about wide open, squared up shots. Dickau often corrects him and explains why it's a good shot.

Complaints about diction aside, Dickau seems like the more astute analyst of of the two. But I like the discussion.

Now, if Heister could get that dream job calling red clay dirt track demolition derbies in rural South Carolina, it would be a perfect world.

ZagNative
01-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Zag fans are just really, really spoiled.

teacher56
01-08-2013, 12:12 AM
:fingergun:

I think they are pretty bad as a group. I miss Ehlo - he at least provided some comic relief. These guys take themselves a bit too seriously and as a result, they stink.

Birddog
01-08-2013, 03:35 AM
Zag fans are just really, really spoiled
You're probably correct on that count, but does that make the broadcast team or their style any better?

jazzdelmar
01-08-2013, 03:48 AM
Anyone know what these three guys do for a living? Serious question.