PDA

View Full Version : OT: NCAA Considering New Transfer Rules

RenoZag
01-06-2013, 09:13 AM
CBS STORY (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21494783/whywhen-a-new-transfer-rule-could-have-big-effects-on-college-hoops)

Here's what we're looking at. The basics: If any player has a 2.6 GPA or higher, he would not have to sit out the now-mandatory year after transferring to a new school. (It's known as a red-shirt season, and does not always apply, but does in most cases. This amendment to the transfer rule would loop in the largest pool of exceptions in history.)

So when will it go into effect? I talked to Infante on Friday afternoon, and he said the vote on this could/should pass by August. That would mean the effective date for kids who transfer with a 2.6 GPA or better would be in play by the start of the the 2014-15 academic year.

Why is this happening? Well, there's a general dissatisfaction with transfer rules among many within the NCAA. That includes players, coaches, administrators and, most notably, NCAA president Mark Emmert, who has complained publicly. Be it cases where permission to contact other schools have been denied (Bo Ryan) or releases have been withheld (Phil Martelli), the transfer rate is seen as problematic and, frankly, embarrassing. (Whether it should be is up for debate.)

Athletes would still need to get permission to contact another school before transferring. But permission would be tied to practice and competition, not athletics aid. So even if permission were denied, the athlete would still be able to receive a scholarship.

Athletes who do not qualify to play immediately at the next school would still receive an extension of their five-year clock so they can use all their eligibility.

Tampering with an athlete by another school would be considered a severe breach of conduct, a Level I violation, the highest in the NCAA's new enforcement structure.

So players will still need their coach's consent to be given clearance to play elsewhere. . . The tampering threats become especially serious. The trick part is actually proving the tampering, but we'll save that for another post. (According to Infante, the NCAA's belief is other coaches might be more willing to tattle on their peers with increased sanctions on tampering.)

Would the landscape of college sports change significantly ?

rijman
01-06-2013, 10:04 AM
I would expect a lot more tranfers under the new rules and I would also expect a lot more tampering. A player like Karnowksi would be a perfect target, he doesn't play much his first season but shows signs of a lot of upside, other teams who can start him next season make contact through various ways. This new transfer rule could create more problems than it solves.

bigblahla
01-06-2013, 10:55 AM
I would expect a lot more tranfers under the new rules and I would also expect a lot more tampering. A player like Karnowksi would be a perfect target, he doesn't play much his first season but shows signs of a lot of upside, other teams who can start him next season make contact through various ways. This new transfer rule could create more problems than it solves.

In my world the Karnovore starts at the 5 for GU next season with TKO at the 4. :D

Go!! Zags!!!

hondo
01-06-2013, 11:07 AM
A very good player might find it more difficult to get his GPA above 2.5 at some schools.

bartruff1
01-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Any player should be able to transfer any time he wants and play the second he transfers... he shouldn't even have to wait till half time... unless, he has a legal and binding contract to do otherwise.

GonzaGAW
01-06-2013, 12:43 PM
this is going to be the new way to cheat, this is today's steriods.
human nature is just that and there will be so much tampering and inappropriate contacts by boosters, assist coaches and head coaches, its not even going to be funny. unless the ncaa on a first offense takes away one year of post season play this is going to be terrible.
again, human nature being what it is you now give every kid who had no plans to leave a school, a temptation of greener grass on the other side of the fence. many well be seduced into doing just that when previously it had never entered their mind.

i hate it when schools wont release a kid to go somewhere else, but keep the one year rule, the kid still gets 4 yrs of playing time. one more reason why i do not like emmert and ncaa, given the opportunity to make a decision and they will screw it up everytime.