PDA

View Full Version : Trainers must teach GBJ two things:

ZagsGoZags
01-05-2013, 10:58 PM
He has to become better at feeding the post

He has to pass off more when driving the lanes.

The reason he gets tied up so much lately is that the opponents know he will make innocuous passes to perimeter players, or else put his head down and bull his way toward the bucket

Pargo used to do this also, once his mind was set on driving, he only thought of finishing and was terrible at flipping to open team-mates. After a couple of years, though, Pangos starting feeding bigs and perimeter players more and more. This is what Bell needs to do.

I am a great fan of Gary, and all my posts proove it. He does a lot of the defensive dirty work, and is a super squared away guy. I just hate to see opponents learning to exploit his weaknesses more and more, especially trapping him and often taking the ball away from him, because he doesn't drive out of it and pass out of it. I don't want opponents to find him too predictable.

U Zig, I Zag
01-06-2013, 08:18 AM
GBJ (along with Kyle) are the best penetrators on the team. Kyle though, seems to have thr better court awareness. Gary hasn't spent much time on the line this year, I have wondered if few told him to finish if he gets in the lane.

montanazag88
01-06-2013, 08:28 AM
....to establish the skill of changing the pace of his drive in the middle of the drive and keeping his head up in the process. This is the number one challenge for quick/fast point guards. For Bell this could be the difference between being the good guard that he is and becoming one of the best guards in GU history. Currently, Bell appears to get stuck driving the lane because he is still developing confidence handling the ball, which contributes to the behavior of driving at full steam to stay ahead of the defender and limiting the risk of being tied up. It's a very common thing, but often results in stalling out the offense.

The good news is Bell is extremely determined and hustles on every play, making the confidence issue look minimal. As a sophomore, he is doing well, but by improving his ball handling confidence (he has the skill), he can improve his play by constantly changing pace without concern for getting trapped or losing possession. Watching Foster and Smart this past week, it's easier to see that Bell is just "ball handling" and "pace changing" confidence away from the highest level of play......all IMO, of course.

ZagsGoZags
01-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Even our bigs feed the post better than Gary, including Hart,
but about the same skill as Edi, Kyle, and Sam

I would think this could be drilled, practiced, and improved. Kevin and Stocks can look the other way while feeding the post, while GBJ seems to look right where he is about to pass

IMHO

BobZag
01-06-2013, 01:15 PM
A bit too frantic, helter-skelterish for my taste. Calm down a bit.

U Zig, I Zag
01-06-2013, 01:55 PM

Agreed. Gray got better as he got older, far calmer (chill?) than earlier in his career. Expecting the same from GBJ...

HRZag
01-06-2013, 02:02 PM
While I am sure Jennifer has many skills, she is not really known for her post feeding skills and I would be surprised if she could teach GBJ much of anything along those lines.

thespywhozaggedme
01-06-2013, 02:37 PM
While I am sure Jennifer has many skills, she is not really known for her post feeding skills and I would be surprised if she could teach GBJ much of anything along those lines.

On a related note, she looks skinnier these days. Good for her.

Oregonzagnut
01-06-2013, 03:23 PM

Especially at WSU and Pepperdine, IMO. We were simply out of synch those 2 games and I am not so sure it was all our opponents doing. Part of it is the unpredictable rotations that Few gets into. It is great when our opponents get confused and shook up but not so good when our own team gets that way.

bostonzagfan
01-06-2013, 06:41 PM
he could use a hop-step+upfake move.