PDA

View Full Version : Tactical error by Kerry Keating?

SJZag
01-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Hadn't seen this discussed yet, but I think Kerry Keating made a pretty big tactical error early in the 2nd half that contributed to KO's 33 points tonight. When Robert Garrett picked up his 4th foul, KK had the opportunity to take him out of the game as the Zags were shooting free throws. He didn't for some reason and Garrett picked up his 5th foul shortly thereafter (might have been the very next possession for SCU). I'd say Garrett has more of a defensive presence than anyone else that guarded KO tonight, and it might have made a difference later in the 2nd half.

Oregonzagnut
01-05-2013, 10:12 PM
IMO Garrett was in primarily to rest either Tras or Atanga. He seemed to be a guy to go foul and disrupt us rather than to have any meaningful minutes. He had only 2 ORB's and 5 fouls in 10 minutes. Who else could guard Kelly? McArthur?

At OK St, Few left Kelly in after his 4th foul and KO survived up till the last 10 seconds or so before he fouled out. So, I would call leaving Garrett in more of a failed gamble or a deliberate "foul out", rather than an error per se. Keating needed Atanga or Trasolini for all 40 minutes. Hockey strategy IMO. Try to rattle the opponent if you can't match up fairly.

SJZag
01-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Maybe. Garrett did start the game alongside Trasolini, though. So he wasn't in there just to give Atanga some rest. Regardless, the Broncos probably could have used his "disruptive prowess" late in the game and I'm just surprised that Keating didn't try to protect him from fouling out so early.

Oregonzagnut
01-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Maybe. Garrett did start the game alongside Trasolini, though. So he wasn't in there just to give Atanga some rest. Regardless, the Broncos probably could have used his "disruptive prowess" late in the game and I'm just surprised that Keating didn't try to protect him from fouling out so early.

You are right, Keating should have put in McArthur instead. Its hindsight, but maybe McArthur (1 foul) failed entirely against KO and KK felt he had no other chance at stopping Kelly. Garrett starts are split between him and McArthur and they split minutes pretty much so I just think that Keating really wanted the "disruptive prowess" as you said. Either McArthur or Garrett was going to foul out and it didn't really matter, Keating went for broke and we were just too good. Sometimes you have to go all in when the clock is running out.

Also Keating probably bet that our bigs wouldn't shoot 85% from the line. Can any of us honestly say we would bet a weeks paycheck that the Zags would go 87% from the foul stripe? So if anything, if he chose to try and "foul" Kelly into missing shots, that was his biggest error no matter who fouled. I think he had to keep Garret in as long as he could. Since his 6th man had no chance.

SCU cannot compete with our depth. If Dower and Edi can improve, it may be that neither can Duke, or michigan. Me thinks we will find out.

Hoopaholic
01-06-2013, 07:31 AM
It is an assistant coaches responsibility to ensure fouls are tracked and IF kea ting was not aware of the 4 th foul while we shot free throws then an assistant failed.......however at that point of the game I am not sure he would have yanked garret ...an tanga was playing better but had 3 fouls to...it was the 11 minute mark and he obviously could not go with the third stringer who was pathetic...so my guess is he felt game was stable and within reach and went with Garrett to protect an tanga and try and get 3-4 more minutes out of Garrett...backfired by Garrett not playing smart and going over back when he was clearly boxed out on rebound

mgadfly
01-06-2013, 09:28 AM
I think he took a reasonable gamble. Against GU's frontline he needed the size to stay in the game (at least he believed so at the time the decision was made). KO was dominating the game and had his big man played the last 12 minutes without picking up another foul (and it led to beating the Zags) he would have looked like a genius.

I don't know the game changes much if they sit their big guy on the bench with four fouls, he comes in and 15 seconds later commits a foul and is sent to the bench.