GoZags
01-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Next

sheps001
01-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Cream mouthpiece!

Kiddwell
01-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Yeah, Saint Mary's. Dwelling on tonight's game for a moment, however, the Broncos are good. This fan wonders if they're as good as Okie State. They played tough. Though it's fun to pick on Coach Keating, he's put together a really nice team. Wouldn't bet against SCU being no worse than the third best team in league this season.

:]

GoZags
01-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Yeah, Saint Mary's. Dwelling on tonight's game for a moment, however, the Broncos are good. This fan wonders if they're as good as Okie State. They played tough. Though it's fun to pick on Coach Keating, he's put together a really nice team. Wouldn't bet against SCU being no worse than the third best team in league this season.

Agree. Was very, very impressed with Trasolini coming off of his injury. Kid can play.

Oregonzagnut
Delly is undoubtedly better statistically, but for some reason I feared SCU and Foster more than St Marys and Delly this year. Maybe that is because St Marys isn't up to their normal threat in the WCC and nobody picked SCU to go 11-3 in OC.

Another trap game? Is every game in the WCC a trap game? Me thinks so.

HenneZag
We will have our students back...I decided to rent out the Davenport Hotel so that GU students have a place to stay!

It will be nice for our boys to get home, get a lil rest...contain Delly and we win the game, as simple as that. Disrupt his game. We have a the depth to beat St Mary's and there bigs IMO can't match ours.

Hopefully Bell and Pangos can hit some perimeter shots, obviously not really a factor in beating SC tonight, but it sure would have helped.

caduceus
01-05-2013, 07:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/QPpbj.jpg

maynard g krebs
01-05-2013, 07:35 PM

That is one funny-looking........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....basketball.

jpn17
01-05-2013, 07:37 PM

I fully expect tonight to be Santa Clara's only home loss of the season in conference.

Another trap game? Is every game in the WCC a trap game? Me thinks so.

I agree. People are talking like it's a down year for the conference. While that may be true in terms of teams at the top that will give Gonzaga a run for the conference title, I think the conference as a whole is just as strong as it's ever been, and any one of these teams can knock off the Bulldogs on a given night. No easy games, especially on the road.

Hoopaholic
01-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Santa Clara will lose several more games simply due to the fact they live and die by perimeter play...but with that said I would not be shocked to see them in a tight race for 2 or 3 rd slot of wcc

ZagLawGrad
01-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Love your pictures and videos Cad!

DixieZag
01-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Santa Clara will lose several more games simply due to the fact they live and die by perimeter play...but with that said I would not be shocked to see them in a tight race for 2 or 3 rd slot of wcc

I don't think so. I watched both the SMC v. LMU game and, of course, the Zag game v. SCU. I am astonished to say this but I thought that SCU looked far more like a BCS team like those Big 12 teams that we have been playing - only better than most - than a "mid-major" team. SCU was very athletic, there was a reason that Pangos and Bell never had enough daylight to shoot the ball - they couldn't get open.

Now, there is no question that SMC is better skilled - Delly is still probably the best player in the conference (not named Kelly Olynick) but the drop-off from Delly to the rest of SMC is far greater than Foster to Trasolini and Roque. I think that SMC is probably better coached and more experienced, but from what I saw today, SMC looked really soft, something that SCU did NOT look like.

Anyhow, I am not sure of anything, obviously. I am still amazed at how good SCU was. I think we played very well and yet our guards really didn't do that much. I am just so glad to get a win and get out of there, can't say enough about how mentally tough our guys are.

I think that SCU is dialed in for 2nd right now - - just can't see SMC or BYU competing with them.

Mantua
01-05-2013, 07:55 PM
St. Mary's is good at finding ways to win, but we have a grudge on our side this year. They have a better balanced team than SCU. Our bigs are just better and bigger and deeper.

Right now I'm just glad that our kids get to sleep in their own beds for a few days and rest a little.

Monday's polls are probably going to make us even more of a target.

GZag
01-05-2013, 07:58 PM
I agree Dixie. I don't think SMC comes close.

Virginia Zags Fan
01-05-2013, 08:08 PM
St. Mary's is good at finding ways to win, but we have a grudge on our side this year. They have a better balanced team than SCU. Our bigs are just better and bigger and deeper.

Right now I'm just glad that our kids get to sleep in their own beds for a few days and rest a little.

Monday's polls are probably going to make us even more of a target.

So glad for this win!! Was really dreading this game. My thoughts are that SMC is Mathew D. plain and simple. SCU has Foster, Rocq, and Tras. BYU is going to be really tough with Davies, Haws, and a deeper front court than either SMC or SCU.

This is not 2004 and there are no more gimme's in the WCC. If these guys sweep, it will truly be an amazing accomplishment.

GhostZag
01-05-2013, 08:09 PM
I think that SCU is dialed in for 2nd right now - - just can't see SMC or BYU competing with them.

+1

bigblahla
01-05-2013, 08:09 PM
TKO and E should have a field day same with the Karnovore and Sudden Sam. The Achilles heel of the Gaels is their front line which is our strength.

We pound them inside and score from the foul line.

Shadow mouthpiece every step of the way make him work for every play. Guard the 3 pt line.

Tonight's performance would do the job but I think we'll be much better at home.

Go!! Zags!!!

Mantua
01-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Tonight's performance would do the job but I think we'll be much better at home.

Go!! Zags!!!

And not playing our third game of a week long road trip!

Zagquette
01-05-2013, 08:35 PM
http://www.smcgaels.com//pics32/640/AN/ANOEHSBPPJJUOXA.20121022195240.jpg

Oregonzagnut
01-05-2013, 08:37 PM
I was perusing the Gaels board and found a new member over there who wrote this analysis and posted his link. It is a nicely done and comprehensive break down of "How St Marys beat Harvard." FYI only.

http://smchoops.com/2013/01/how-st-marys-beat-harvard/

It obviously took some time and they needed extra validation that they didn't get any homer calls. But it is a good read nonetheless.

Salsageek
01-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Don't forget Illinois played like crap right before they play us. I am still worried about Mouthpiece and his gang.

2wiceright
01-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Don't forget Illinois played like crap right before they play us. I am still worried about Mouthpiece and his gang.

I'm just happy we came out of this super-long and tough road trip with no injuries and all W's.... Back in their own beds and some time to prepare for the "Has-Beens from Moraga" who took us to the wood shed last year and still think they have the same team as last year.

I won't lose one minute of sleep between now and 'Thursdays Beatdown', and for the Gaels to blow back to Moraga!!! I think it will be fun to watch, I'm sure the players are even more excited....(IMO) :D

Oregonzagnut
01-06-2013, 12:43 AM
I'm just happy we came out of this super-long and tough road trip with no injuries and all W's....(IMO) :D

All wins, WooWoo!!!

But are we all sure Garys leg is all 100%? That was an injury IMO. To me, he wasn't as aggressive/active. He was the only Zag who didn't foul or have any rebounds. When he averages at least 2 or 3 of each. He still still scored but he played safer than usual. Or so it seemed. Maybe he is 100% and that is just the way the ball bounced.

jim77
01-06-2013, 01:57 AM
I think SCU is a tourney team....I think BYU is close...and ST.Mary's may be too. Gonna be a dog fight in this conference.....the WCC may very well "shock the world " come March. The SCU/ Duke game was no fluke.....I hope SCU keeps it rolling...I'd love to see them roll some heads come March.

Reborn
01-06-2013, 07:36 AM
I think the WCC is the best it's been for a long time. There will be no easy road games. Period. And it will be a dog fight for the championship. There are four or five real good teams this year, and to win games against them Gonzaga will need to play very good basketball. Our league will finally prepare the Zags for the NCAA tournament.

The Zags had better not take Saint Mary's for granit at home. If they do they will get beat. I think St Mary's is very very good, and will be so against the Zags on Thursday. The Zags must come with their A game. I will never underestimate St Mary's and Randy Bennett. It's too early to say who's the best in conference yet. I will wait for a few weeks. There are alot of games and they must be played. BYU's comeback victory over USF last night was impressive since it was played in San Fran. St. Mary's comeback victory over Harvord was equally as impressive. Getting road wins will be the key, as it always is in conference play. The Zags have two and that's good news.

The key for the Zags will be to take these games one at a time. Keep the focus on the here and now. Don't think ahead. I think so far they've proved they can do that. As Mark Few said, this last road trip was the toughest he has had in 25 years of coaching. I agree. The Zags can do it. One game at a time.

NotoriousZ
01-06-2013, 07:36 AM
http://orangecow.org/pythonet/fishwanda/pictures/wanda190.jpg

HenneZag
01-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Kind of early to tell at this point. Some very good teams this year in the WCC.

The Zags won't take the game against SM lightly, SM won 2 of 3 last year and more importantly beat us out for the conference and tournament championship. The Zags will come out with a chip on there shoulder.

Delly, if we limit his opportunites offensively I think we will be ok, obviously he can create for his teamates as well on the pick n roll especially so we will have to be ready for that, he is the best I have seen running that.

Holt and Page will have to be hot IMO for the Gaels to really compete with us, like Pangos and Bell, those guys can be streaky, but if their on we will be in for a shoot out. Our bigs should give them fits from tip off.

BYU is a dangerous team, have a player in "Haws" that can really fill the stat sheet up, Carilino is another guy that can be just as dangerous on any given night, and obviously Davies we all know what he is capable of. Time will tell, when the dust settles I see BYU and Gonzaga at the top with SC and SM just behind us.

sittingon50
01-06-2013, 11:30 AM
http://godisagael.yuku.com/topic/6309/Scrimmages#.UOnQlXfNmSo

Baseline
01-06-2013, 12:54 PM
I have a new worry on the Hoizon. I watched BYU squeak past SF last night, they were very lucky to have pulled the game out after SF lead most of the game. They have some new guys that are good, the trip into SF will be a challenge once again.

BYU is a different team when Davies is in foul trouble.

ZagLawGrad
01-06-2013, 12:58 PM
I have a new worry on the Hoizon. I watched BYU squeak past SF last night, they were very lucky to have pulled the game out after SF lead most of the game. They have some new guys that are good, the trip into SF will be a challenge once again.

BYU is a different team when Davies is in foul trouble.

USF had some primo chances to pull that one out at the end.

BYU will be tough.

U Zig, I Zag
01-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Always love the 'don't look past so and so!!' type posts. Like the players wake up and go, "wait, what? We got a game today??". 110% confident that the players and coaches are as familiar with our opponents and the next game is always just that: the next game.

If the players have personal grudges or want to shove it down the throats of certain teams for whatever reason, I am all for it. Do we need to give some payback to SMc? Certainly - I sure hope we do.

2wiceright
01-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Always love the 'don't look past so and so!!' type posts. Like the players wake up and go, "wait, what? We got a game today??". 110% confident that the players and coaches are as familiar with our opponents and the next game is always just that: the next game.

If the players have personal grudges or want to shove it down the throats of certain teams for whatever reason, I am all for it. Do we need to give some payback to SMc? Certainly - I sure hope we do.

+1 That's the reason I think we will win going away on Thursday. These guys know they were the ones on watch when St. Marys broke our streak. At home and with that in mind I think our boys will be hitting on all cylinders- with that added motivation. It'll be much tougher at Morego, but I think the team knows this Thursday, of all games, is a 'must win-plus' game (if there is such a thing).

No easy ones this year- especially on the road. Not ruling out the long shot possibity of an undefeated run (it may sound far fetched but I think it's still a possiblity I would never had said before this long road run and OOC record).

Rejoice in Koolaide!!!

TheZagPhish
01-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Beat the Gaels

PS.
ISO two social passes to this game. Thank you!

HenneZag
01-06-2013, 02:19 PM
I know we wont have the students back yet so I hope the fans bring the noise! irritating that this game was scheduled over the break.

GeorgiaZagFan
01-06-2013, 03:23 PM

Is this Mouthpiece and "mini-mouthpiece" :)

2wiceright
01-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Is this Mouthpiece and "mini-mouthpiece" :)

I think he's chasing his little sister- 'Honey Boo-Boo'....

DixieZag
01-06-2013, 08:03 PM
http://orangecow.org/pythonet/fishwanda/pictures/wanda190.jpg

"It's Ka Ka Ka Ka Ken, ka ka ka coming to ka ka ka kill me!"

REVENGE!

Oh, look, the Queen!

bartruff1
01-06-2013, 08:16 PM
+1 That's the reason I think we will win going away on Thursday. These guys know they were the ones on watch when St. Marys broke our streak. At home and with that in mind I think our boys will be hitting on all cylinders- with that added motivation. It'll be much tougher at Morego, but I think the team knows this Thursday, of all games, is a 'must win-plus' game (if there is such a thing).

No easy ones this year- especially on the road. Not ruling out the long shot possibity of an undefeated run (it may sound far fetched but I think it's still a possiblity I would never had said before this long road run and OOC record).

Rejoice in Koolaide!!! Like you, I am sipping....Delly can't beat this team....this team is to deep and strong in the front court....the backcourt makes few mistakes and when they take 20 shots and make more than 7, they should win... they might run the WCC table..