PDA

View Full Version : Dealer's Choice for WCC Refs

Zag4Hire
01-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Well, it is that time of year for the hyper-competitive OOC schedule to come back and hurt GU as they play in a league where the refs seem to all but stifle the flow of the game or attempt to act as a countermeasure to quality hard nose play. Having watched well over 100 WCC games, live and in-person, it is safe to say each WCC ref can get a bit streaky. For example, a few years ago, I can recall half a dozen 'palming/carry' calls been whistled during a GU-SCU bout. The elbow rule was hot and played a huge role in determining the outcome of a GU-USF game. Another tilt at McKeon during the Simpson-Samhan tenure where pretty much every drive to the hoop was called a charge. It gets old, year in and year out. I wasn't able to watch the Pepp game but I am expecting some hair pulling calls come Saturday but the great thing is Few, staff, and his squad keep their cool. As the past is a good predictor of the present, the Leavy Center does not serve as friendly or good fansmanship confines most of the time. Just hoping GU can execute well, avoid the frustration, and keep the lid on the game.

DixieZag
01-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Though I do cower at the thought of all that could go wrong in these veneues, it is at SCU where we got the "reverse curse" one year, it was during Steven Grey's frosh year and we were down 2 and there was less than a second on the clock - - the ball got blocked out to near mid-court where it was going out of bounds but a SCU guy blocked out Grey and was whistled for a blocking foul with .3 seconds left! Remember?

It was definitely a foul, but it was definitely a no call. Steven calmly went to the line and sank 2 FTs and sent the game into OT where we won.

Since that time, SCU has been MORE than repaid, in spades, with dicey reffing, lets just assume that we have to win by 10 and try to keep all the peripherel crap to the. . . preriphery.

UberZagFan
01-04-2013, 01:00 PM
While gray and grey can be used interchangeably when referring to the color, they cannot when referring to someone's surname. It's Steven Gray. ;)

Zag4Hire
01-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Though I do cower at the thought of all that could go wrong in these veneues, it is at SCU where we got the "reverse curse" one year, it was during Steven Grey's frosh year and we were down 2 and there was less than a second on the clock - - the ball got blocked out to near mid-court where it was going out of bounds but a SCU guy blocked out Grey and was whistled for a blocking foul with .3 seconds left! Remember?

It was definitely a foul, but it was definitely a no call. Steven calmly went to the line and sank 2 FTs and sent the game into OT where we won.

Since that time, SCU has been MORE than repaid, in spades, with dicey reffing, lets just assume that we have to win by 10 and try to keep all the peripherel crap to the. . . preriphery.

I do recall but I wouldn't say we got a break there from the refs. We got a break on a poor spur of the moment decision by Brody and Steven under a lot of pressure capitalized on it. One of the few games where I couldn't watch the FTs---super intense ending.

DixieZag
01-04-2013, 01:38 PM
While gray and grey can be used interchangeably when referring to the color, they cannot when referring to someone's surname. It's Steven Gray. ;)

Thank you. That was nearly unforgivable of me, GrAy is one of my all time favorite Zags. thanks uber

CDC84
01-04-2013, 02:14 PM
That play happened right below my feet, and it was a foul that had to be called. Unbelievably dumb play by Angley.

SteeleMan
01-04-2013, 02:15 PM
This is just a question and I don't have an answer or much thought on this but here it goes....in lieu of this thread...

Do WCC refs hinder preparation of the Zags for post season tournament play as compared to other conferences like say the ACC?

UberZagFan
01-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Do WCC refs hinder preparation of the Zags for post season tournament play as compared to other conferences like say the ACC?

Yes.

UberZagFan
01-04-2013, 03:32 PM
and posters

Half true for Uber.

DixieZag
01-04-2013, 04:52 PM
and posters

I would never -ever - have made THAT mistake.

And, if I did, I would re-register under a new name, with no rep.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-04-2013, 06:28 PM

Absolutely.