PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Colorado ripped off in Tuscon

caduceus
01-03-2013, 10:22 PM
@San Diego over Portland 61-50
@BYU crushes LMU 92-51

#3 Arizona remains undefeated and wins in OT over Colorado after officials robbed the Buffaloes (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330030012), waiving off a buzzer beater with 0.1 on the clock (See video).

sittingon50
01-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Ask Coach Few what he thinks of playing @ Arizona.

caduceus
01-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Pic of final shot:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A_vGu0wCMAAi6w0.jpg

How the refs missed that watching the hi-def screen at the scorer's table is beyond me.

(Link here (http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A_vGu0wCMAAi6w0.jpg:large) if embedded doesn't work.)

Malastein
01-03-2013, 11:31 PM
One of the worst stomach punches I've ever felt as a fan of any team. There's been a few Gonzaga losses which are close(UCLA in 06), but this hurt. They out hustled Zona for 80% of the game, and should have held on after that shot. These refs need to take a long look in the mirror after tonight.

sittingon50
01-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Believe it or not ( and it's REALLY hard to believe) the refs don't always get the same views at the table as the folks do at home.

caduceus
01-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Believe it or not ( and it's REALLY hard to believe) the refs don't always get the same views at the table as the folks do at home.

True, but whatever angle(s) they had would no doubt include the backboard buzzer light, which would go off some hundredths of seconds later than this picture (clearly) shows. Not buying their rationale of this call at all.

BobZag
01-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Just watched the replay (multiple times) of the final shot, and it was out of the Buff's player's hand in time. Just amazing how refs can still blow calls WITH the use of instant slo-mo replays.

CDC84
01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Boyle is so frustrated he's calling for the end of instant replay:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8811934/tad-boyle-colorado-buffaloes-basketball-coach-wants-end-instant-replay-controversial-overturned-call

I keep going back to this, but Arizona this year has this magical ability to win tight games, whether through their own volition or through the hands of bad officiating (who were awful last night beyond just the controversial buzzer beater). Every season there is one team that you never want to see in a tight game, and Zona is proving to be that team. They find a way to win.

webspinnre
01-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Yeah, this was just atrocious, but let's not make things worse by getting rid of something that as a whole is more helpful than harmful.

GeorgiaZagFan
01-04-2013, 10:32 AM
don't get rid of Instant replay ...get rid of the bad officials...if they are so blind...or are so easily swayed by the home crowd....they should be doing low level high school games ...not college games involving top ranked teams

ZagMan in Philly
01-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Just watched the replay (multiple times) of the final shot, and it was out of the Buff's player's hand in time. Just amazing how refs can still blow calls WITH the use of instant slo-mo replays.

Agree, not enough to overturn the original call. It looked good even in normal speed. These refs should be ashamed of themselves.

BobZag
01-04-2013, 10:43 AM
I just don't know how anyone can whiff on a shot that was out of the hand/fingers before 1) the backboard lights up, 2) the clock hits 00.00, and 3) the horn sounds. That's a triple whammy ripoff. Amazing. Go to espn3.com and watch for yourself.

Another funny thing last night... I was watching Cal-UCLA and when I started my shower Marques Johnson was droning on about mighty Mater Dei and its great, great coach and program... When I finished my shower, you guessed it, Marques Johnson was droning on again about Mater Dei and its great, great coach and program. And my shower was 25 minutes. (Yes, I'm squeaky clean.) :D

CDC84
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-01-03/controversial-3-pointer-in-arizona-colorado-game-just-one-of-many-questionable-c

According to the NCAA Coordinator of Officials, and according to the Pac 12 head of officials, the refs got the call right last night.

NCAA coordinator of officials John Adams told Sporting News by text on Thursday night that he had seen the replay and that the referees ruled correctly.

Adams said the referees, after signaling a made 3-pointer, had to review the shot by rule. The referees must examine whether the shot was released before the clock strikes 0.00, the red light illuminates and the horn sounds. The official clock is the one that is atop the goal.

“On my home TV and watching replay, I couldn’t see the ball off fingers until 00 on clock,” Adams wrote.

Pac-12 referees coordinator Ed Rush concurred with Adams in a statement provided by the conference office.

“Game officials reviewed video replays of the end of regulation in accordance with NCAA playing rules and determined the ball was still on the shooter’s fingertips when the official game clock on the floor expired,” Rush said. “Per conference protocol, the officials conducted a thorough review courtside and viewed multiple angles of the play before confirming the ruling.

“I have reviewed the video replays and agree with the ruling.”

BobZag
01-04-2013, 10:56 AM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-01-03/controversial-3-pointer-in-arizona-colorado-game-just-one-of-many-questionable-c

According to the NCAA Coordinator of Officials, and according to the Pac 12 head of officials, the refs got the call right last night.

"I've got your 6 (even if you're wrong.)."

Really, is anyone surprised by this? Not me.

zagzilla
01-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Just cuz the Pac 12 league offices say they got the call right doesn't make it so. Very self-serving response John Adams to protect his refs.

They may be blind but I AM NOT.

Wildcats will have one extra win they don't deserve which prevents them from moving down on the S Curve in March and which may indirectly impact the Zags relative relative to Arizona in the West Region of the NCAA when the top seeds are being assigned.

We'll have to watch this one...

ZZ

Jakester425
01-04-2013, 11:02 AM
"I've got your 6 (even if you're wrong.)."

Really, is anyone surprised by this? Not me.

No Im not suprised, they are going to stand by their guys no matter what. Here is an article that shows and explains the call last night.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/3/3834146/colorado-vs-arizona-game-winning-three-pointer-at-buzzer-waved-off

zagamatic
01-04-2013, 11:09 AM
I watched the replay. I could see daylight with. 01 on the clock. And even the head schmuck is saying the ref's got it right? Between this game and multiple UCLA games, the reffing in the pac 12 is seriously getting to the point of legal investigation in my opinion.

GZag
01-04-2013, 11:22 AM

Your assuming there was no bias in that call? I can't. I think it was intentional and I hate corruption.

CDC84
01-04-2013, 11:23 AM
John Adams is normally pretty objective, though. I expect conference coordinators to stick up for their guys, but Adams is kind of removed from alll this. He is very critical of officials who mess up, and when they do, he doesn't allow them to officiate in the NCAA tournament, regardless of their previous reputation.

GoZags
01-04-2013, 11:24 AM
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/image_zps5aa506c4.jpg

BobZag
01-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Your assuming there was no bias in that call? I can't. I think it was intentional and I hate corruption.

I try not to think it's the Italian Serie A. ;)

jazzdelmar
01-04-2013, 11:36 AM
I try not to think it's the Italian Serie A. ;)

careful, Beezer. Balotelli in trouble again....l'enfant terrible.

maynard g krebs
01-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Obvious watching the replay he got the shot off. But close enough for "plausible deniability."
Crooked call, plain and simple. The brazen "big lie" is a common strategy in the political arena; ie, if we say up is down and black is white, you better believe us rather than your own eyes. Plenty of verification in psychology that this works.

It happens quite a bit in favor of the marquee team, esp at home. Arizona makes that shot last nite there's no way in hell they wave it off.

UberZagFan
01-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Uber's only comment to this thread is that to let everyone know he can now sleep comfortably knowing that BZ takes 25 minute showers.

BobZag
01-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Uber's only comment to this thread is that to let everyone know he can now sleep comfortably knowing that BZ takes 25 minute showers.

Clean body, dirty mind. :P

willandi
01-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Maybe, independant of the University, a local Colorado judge could issue a bench warrant for the perps. If they ever go to Colorado, they could be arrested, charged with deliberatley falsifying the results of a game that has had wagers made on it. Interstate felony of some sort, would be my guess.
Hard for the refs to prove their position, judging from the pics posted here. The ball was more than a foot out of the hands of the shooter, the clock still showed 0.1, looks like a conspiracy to me.
I know the school could not take such action, or even request it, but an independant judge, elected by the voters in that district, should be able to.