PDA

View Full Version : what a class act Coach Travis Ford of Oklahoma State is

demian
01-01-2013, 11:17 PM
i am not sure if this has been mentioned already so i am sorry if it was. But i am rewatching the GU vs OSU game on dvr right now and i am at the part of the game where Gary Bell just went down to the ground writhing in pain with his injury. Of course bell and pangos accidentally collide and bell then lays on the ground for approx 6 seconds while OSU takes advantage of 5 on 4 basketball and gets an alley oop dunk to take what i believe to be there first lead of the game. In all that excitement for OSU finally climbing to the top of the mountain and taking their first lead in what was deemed their biggest nonconference game ever at their home court, who is the first person to attend to Gary Bell Jr. It is Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford. As soon as the dunk was completed by OSU, Coach Ford goes right onto the floor and lends a friendly hand to help GBJ up off floor, once he realizes that GBJ is in serious pain and cant take the hand and get up right away because he is in serious pain, Coach Ford squats down and checks in on GBJ and kind of gauges what is going on and then motions for the GU staff to come attend to their player. what a classy move. just not so sure you would get that kind of treatment in other "hostile environments" throughout the country. I was very impressed with the gesture from the opposing coach.

CDC84
01-01-2013, 11:25 PM
He wasn't very classy towards the refs when his team visited Gonzaga a couple of years ago. He went bonkers after the game and nearly tore down the door to the official's locker room.

demian
01-01-2013, 11:42 PM
He wasn't very classy towards the refs when his team visited Gonzaga a couple of years ago. He went bonkers after the game and nearly tore down the door to the official's locker room.

While definetly not acceptable to act "Bonkers" towards the reffs, but based on just yesterdays incident with Gary Bell only, I was very impressed with his level of class

Reborn
01-02-2013, 06:33 AM
Good post, Demian. I've always liked Ok State and I'm always happy when we get to play them. They have always been a very tough opponent. Teaching toughness is so important in building a winning team. And yet, Travis Ford, the head coach, is also able to show compassion and care for a fallen player. Some things are more important then winning, and that's the care for someone who gets hurt. No one should feel pleasure when someone gets hurt, and I believe that most Gonzaga fans hate to see it.

jazzdelmar
01-02-2013, 06:38 AM
Good post, Demian. I've always liked Ok State and I'm always happy when we get to play them. They have always been a very tough opponent. Teaching toughness is so important in building a winning team. And yet, Travis Ford, the head coach, is also able to show compassion and care for a fallen player. Some things are more important then winning, and that's the care for someone who gets hurt. No one should feel pleasure when someone gets hurt, and I believe that most Gonzaga fans hate to see it.

amen 'born. they are all somebody's son...........or grandson :)