PDA

View Full Version : Coach K on Santa Clara

MickMick
01-01-2013, 01:24 PM
http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200&id=1175812&ATCLID=205858489&ATCLPID=&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200

If it is between SMC and SCU for the selection comittee, I think SCU gets the bid. In fact, I think they play GU in the tournament title game and get a bid this year.

MDABE80
01-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Ok...we got it. "They're reaaly good". In the game for the first 20 minutes, everything that could go wrong for Duke........went wrong. SCU played very well. No doubt. The bounces went their way.

Suddenly though, Duke's luck changed and everything went well. Duke won by 13.

I don't know what this means for us on Saturday. I expect a struggle. SCU's guards are very very good. Down low Tras is stronger than ever. As in past seasons, every away game will begin with a big target on the team's back. Perhaps moreso this year because of our record, the rankings, TV performances, etc. Never forget the media who reloves the Zags.

We play like Duke did in their game and we'll be in trouble quickly. I hope we win but SCU has a nice 11-2 record they have earned. I'm picking Zags by 5-10 pts.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
01-01-2013, 03:03 PM
unquestionably has had a great start to their season with wins over VCU, Kentucky, Ohio State, Minnesota, Louisville (without Gorgui), Ohio State and Temple. Knocking Duke off the #1 line come Selection Sunday is still a distinct possibility although the ACC is pretty weak. It will be interesting to see if NC State gets hot in conference this year taking the regular season title. I don't have a good enough read on them yet to be forward enough to make that call but they have a legit shot.

Despite the great start by Duke as emphasized by K and evidenced by their wins it is worth noting Duke has been putrid in true OOC road games over the years. I understand why K is reluctant to play true road games. They are ridiculously BAD in true OOC road games. They haven't played one this season. In the four previous seasons, using Pomeroy's site, they are 2-6. They lost at Temple and Ohio State in 2011/12, won at UNCG and lost at St John's in 2010/11, lost at Wisconsin and Georgetown in 2009/10, and won at Purdue and lost at Michigan in 2008-09. Most people would throw out that win at UNCG and instead list it as a neutral site game.

That would leave Duke at 1-6 in OOC road games since the start of the 2008/09 season. It must be nice to be so powerful that you rarely have to play on the road. Ultimately that can hurt you as true road games like the Zags played @ Oklahoma State New Years eve will prepare us better for a Regional Final in hostile territory if need be.

Duke is a very good team but they will not be championship worthy at seasons end in my opinion. JMHO

Sam? Guy? Kyle? Keep working hard! I love ya and we will be needing your contributions this year guys!!

Happy New Year!!!,
Valxo :)

john montana
01-01-2013, 03:23 PM
I don't see the point in attacking duke's schedule...true road games or not, look at who they have played. Plus, they get a pretty good "true road game" batch of challenges in conference every year. Granted, usf, smc, lmu etc. are tough places to play, but tougher than unc? Nc state? The acc is down this year, but they are still a top conference, and it isn't like Duke takes the romar view on scheduling. They have a top 5 strength of schedule every year.

willandi
01-01-2013, 03:34 PM
In line with Val's comments, do the other teams in next years Maui Classic have to fly to Syracuse to play the games? Syracuse is as bad as Duke in not schedulling true OOC road games...and I think that belittling Duke's (and Syracuse) refusal to do so as a valid point.
If the Zags could play all the OOC as home games, excepting those played at the arena, and were able to dictate to other teams those terms, they would have a better than most record going into conference play. That means that they would be ranked higher, minimalizing the effects of one or two conference losses. The result could/should be higher seeding.
Playing true road games in the OOC schedule challenges the team and also levels the playing field, IMHO.

john montana
01-01-2013, 03:48 PM
I just don't see complaining about the schedule of a team that year in/year out has one of the top 5 toughest schedules in all of college basketball. Have we ever played a tougher schedule than duke?

willandi
01-01-2013, 03:58 PM
I just don't see complaining about the schedule of a team that year in/year out has one of the top 5 toughest schedules in all of college basketball. Have we ever played a tougher schedule than duke?

If at the start of the season, the 8 WCC teams were all ranked top 10, played cupcake OOC schedules so they wouldn't drop much, if any, just think how high the Zags RPI would be, after going through the conference.

Have we ever played a tougher schedule than Duke? I don't know, and the way the ratings are computed I don't really care. If they wanted to make it more honest, have no ratings at all until conference play starts, put all the numbers for all the teams into the hopper, and let the chips fall where they may. Saying that Duke must be good because they beat Kentucky (who isn't looking so great) etc., just doesn't work for me.
And if you don't see complaining, then don't. Thats certainly your right, just as its my right to complain. No problems either way!

john montana
01-01-2013, 04:15 PM
I have been pretty impressed with duke's victories...surprised you haven't been. I think there are a bunch of really good teams and duke is one of them, but i am not sold on duke as a runaway favorite at all...no bench. Personally, I would switch schedules with them every year. I think we do a great job, but at the end of the year we are in the 30-70 range for strength of schedule vs 1-5 range.

jim77
01-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Say what you want...they just win. Their pretty good in NCAA tourney games too. If I could pick one player in college basketball to start a team....it would be Mason Plumlee. Duke is Duke...they play hard.

maynard g krebs
01-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Santa Clara looked very sharp in the few minutes I watched of the Duke game (late first, early second) Sharp cuts, floor vision, quick, crisp passes. A veteran team playing quality ball. Nine seconds into the second half with the call on Foster I felt pretty certain what was going to happen. Seen it too many times on Duke's floor, so turned it off a couple minutes later, having assumed the outcome.

With Trasolini back to give them a credible inside threat, they are this year what SMC has been in recent years. And SMC is not, though still dangerous if 3 of their guards are hot.

I could see SCU sneaking into the dance and shocking a couple of higher seeds if the matchups are right and they get hot, like when Omar and co beat Richmond(?) and Villanova.

maynard g krebs
01-01-2013, 06:06 PM
They lost at Temple and Ohio State in 2011/12,
Valxo :)

I am pretty sure the Temple game was played in South Philly at whatever the new building is that replaced the Spectrum (Temple's on Broad St in North Philly). I remember Dunphy having the team take the train that goes down to the airport as a bonding/motivational tool (we're Philly, we're blue collar, or something like that).

So, one less true road win for Duke, unless Temple plays all their games down there. Not sure if they still have McGonigle(sp?) Hall, but they probably have an on campus facility.

fedwayzag
01-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Watching some of Marquette and Uconn tonight. did not realize the SCU vs. USF game is tomorrow night on the U. so SCU gets an extra day to prepare for us. One time our espn pull for the league might work against us.

01-01-2013, 07:23 PM
I don't see the point in attacking duke's schedule...true road games or not, look at who they have played. Plus, they get a pretty good "true road game" batch of challenges in conference every year. Granted, usf, smc, lmu etc. are tough places to play, but tougher than unc? Nc state? The acc is down this year, but they are still a top conference, and it isn't like Duke takes the romar view on scheduling. They have a top 5 strength of schedule every year.

Just focusing on OOC scheduling dynamics the last several years and providing you with some data. As strong as Duke's schedule has been this year it doesn't change the fact they haven't traveled to a venue like Gallagher-Iba Arena and won. Just giving some counter perspective on what has otherwise been a great start for Duke.

01-01-2013, 07:32 PM
I am pretty sure the Temple game was played in South Philly at whatever the new building is that replaced the Spectrum (Temple's on Broad St in North Philly). I remember Dunphy having the team take the train that goes down to the airport as a bonding/motivational tool (we're Philly, we're blue collar, or something like that).

So, one less true road win for Duke, unless Temple plays all their games down there. Not sure if they still have McGonigle(sp?) Hall, but they probably have an on campus facility.

I love coaches who do that kind of motivational stuff like taking the train! What I like even more is our Zags this year bonding and cooking meals together as a team. Thats a winning recipe for success! :)

Happy New Year Maynard!

01-01-2013, 07:47 PM
In line with Val's comments, do the other teams in next years Maui Classic have to fly to Syracuse to play the games? Syracuse is as bad as Duke in not schedulling true OOC road games...and I think that belittling Duke's (and Syracuse) refusal to do so as a valid point.
If the Zags could play all the OOC as home games, excepting those played at the arena, and were able to dictate to other teams those terms, they would have a better than most record going into conference play. That means that they would be ranked higher, minimalizing the effects of one or two conference losses. The result could/should be higher seeding.
Playing true road games in the OOC schedule challenges the team and also levels the playing field, IMHO.

You are on the $$$$ with the Cuse comments willandi!

Syracuse OMG! LOL

Syracuse wanted to find an "out" this year preventing them from playing in the SEC/BE Challenge and traveling to play Arkansas!

SteelZag
01-01-2013, 08:30 PM
OMG. I get easily confused. Earlier in this thread posters were just complaining that Duke doesn't play all that well in true road games. Then the thread seemed to morph into Duke plays a easy OOC. I couldn't really find the post about Duke playing an easy OOC. All I remember reading was complaining Duke never left home much other than MSG or a neutral court tourney. Duke is good, but some posters would like to see them travel farther west than Chapel Hill sometime during the season. Well, maybe Georgia is actually a little farther west, but not much.

SteelZag
01-01-2013, 08:49 PM
You are on the $$$$ with the Cuse comments willandi!

Syracuse OMG! LOL

Syracuse wanted to find an "out" this year preventing them from playing in the SEC/BE Challenge and traveling to play Arkansas!

What? Were they going to have to travel to MSG?