• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Birddog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Inside the G/I Temple

Arena and atmosphere:
    I've been to G/I before but it is still impressive with it's steep seat angles and incredible noise. I don't think TV captures just how steep the arena is. Had they not elected to remodel they would have had to build to a more modern code which would have prevented the steep angles and noise supression rules would have been in force. I have never been lucky enough to get floor seats to any game in any arena until last night.

I entered about 35 mins before game time expecting to see the Zags still warming up but they were already in the locker room. I took my seat, row 1 halfway between the baseline and mid-court, across from the Zag bench and watched the OSU boys warm up. One thing that stood out real quick is how you can feel the boys dribbling on that floor, it was more like pounding. Some teams don't like the floor there, it is the original floor from before the G/I rebuilding.

Not long after taking my seat, one of the Officials (Big 12/MVC) I think it was Gerry Pollard came by and noticed that I was the only fan in Blue in a sea of orange with a Zag shirt. In a voice that could be heard by all around he pointed to my shirt and said "If I make a call that looks to favor the Zags are you gonna back me?" I answered "absolutely". That got mix of chuckling and guffaws from the fans. I'm sure the guy behind me didn't like it as he turned out to be one of those fans that doesn't really watch the game, but only looks for missed calls and fouls. He was also really loud.

I would guess that G/I was about 98% filled, a surprise really, as last new years game was only about 85%, but then it wasn't the Zags either. The Cowboys have their own ritual intro with the pep band (no zombie nation here) and the crowd gets rockin and loud. After the lineups and anthem it was game on.

Everybody was polite and respectful to me and quite frankly, I didn't expect anything less. Cowboy fans are pretty knowledgeable about the game, unlike a large % of fans that follow another state team. At halftime, a geezer older than me came down the line and asked me if Stockton was John Stockton's son. I informed him that yes he was, and that the three of us were all born and raised within a couple blocks of each other and the University. He seemed to think that was pretty cool.

Gallagher/Iba deserves it's rep as an iconic basketball venue. It is a good mix of the old with the new, it's loud as hell, and even in the clouds, you can see the game fairly well. The traditions are all good. I'm glad our Zags got to play there and more importantly, come away with a win.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
  • TheZagPhish
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Great report, Birddog.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• GoZags
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Thanks for the report, BD. I'd been looking forward to it. Glad you saw a "W" (and one for the ages, at that).
      sigpic
      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• SLOZag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

G/I

Really nice post. Thanks.
        SLOZag
        "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Comment

• Hoopaholic
          • Mar 2008

Sweet read....
          The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• maynard g krebs
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2009

Great report. Thanks.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

that was fun to read
              it makes me want to go there if zags play there again (reading their discussion board, I don't think it will happen very soon)

Comment

• gamagin
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Thanks BD

btw, did you get a chance to meet Bob Finn, director of GU alum relations, at the pre game function ?

His family roots are St.Al's/GP/GU. Good kid. Does an excellent job.
                Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2008

Cheers, Birddog. Thanks for sharing.
                  What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• Rangerzag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Nice read, BD. Thanks for the report.

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
                    One thing that stood out real quick is how you can feel the boys dribbling on that floor, it was more like pounding.
                    I also noticed the noise from the floor while watching the game live on the tube. It is a curiously hollow or drum like sound, even at times making players sound like they were not wearing cushioned shoes.
                    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
                    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
                    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Comment

• sittingon50
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Thanks for the report, BD. What a great experience.
                      But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• hondo
                        Zag for Life
                        • May 2009

Great report BD. Thought I may have seen you on the tube but not sure.

Comment

• Birddog
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Part II Game Impressions:
                          When you're on the floor, the game looks different than on TV or in even good seats a short ways away. From time to time your view is blocked by a player or the officials and your view is straight ahead or up, not down, on the action. I noticed right away how confident the Zags were. They had a plan and they were methodical in execution. You can really feel their confidence, at least I thought I could. At no time did I see anything that would indicate less than a 100% belief that they could and would win this game. I personally had a slight doubt with about 3 mins left when Harris had a TO on a pass to Kelly, but I was quickly back on the bandwagon and with about 2;30 to go I felt confident we would win.

When these guys set and move around screens, it is really, really physical. Hart is very good at slipping by screens, well not really always slipping by because it is physical as I said, but he seems to have a sixth sense about where the screen is and how to get by. He's much quicker than he looks too. Most of the team members are pretty solid. Karno is probably down to 290lbs and could still stand to lose about 10 and re-mold about 15lbs of what is left. I have no doubt that he will and that he knows he needs it. He's not soft, but he could be better ala Violette when he went from "chunk" to "chisel". Stockton is solid as a rock but he'll never be able to put much on his frame, he's just been genetically deprived. He's surprisingly tough though and he got credit for 3 RB's (I thought it was at least 4) and he snatched one from in front of Jurick, OSU's tallest player. One of the nearby fans mentioned that Stockton had some surprising hops.

The team chemistry is also quite obvious. Those guys just really have a knack for knowing where to be when things break down and how to handle adversity when it pops up. When one player tells another "whats up" there is no pouting or petulance, it's just right back to the business of winning. Any line-up out there seemed to work as well as could be expected given individuals limitations.

Dranginis didn't light up the stats, but he provided good minutes and his block was amazing as he had just recovered. He's going to be very good and those kind of minutes are very valuable. I didn't notice any sagging defense with Hart in the line-up but it is hard to see from that angle. I got the feeling that OSU respected his shooting even though he doesn't make many attempts.

Pangos always has his head up, is that where the term "heady player" comes from? He was a rock , took what they gave him and dished when nec. Bell has a great motor, he works his tail off on defense. When he lofted "the shot" it was about 10" in front of me and I knew it was good. He was WIDE open.

Olynyk must be taking ballet lessons. he gets more off balance tip in and repeat tips than any Zag player in recent memory. He's a master at put backs and getting better. You could really sense that he put the team on his back there for a stretch and he relished it. Anyone else noticing how KO's shots have an amazing rotation and touch? If they linger on the rim, they almost always fall through the iron.
                          Birddog

Comment

• Birddog
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

I think only my back with the bulldog on my shirt made the tube. The cameras were behind me except for the baseline camera on Zags goal in 2nd half.
                            Birddog

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2008

Super report. Thanks!
                              "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

Working...
                              X