PDA

View Full Version : WCC Officiating.

Goshzagit
01-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Just wait...

For the ridiculousness of phantom calls on our bigs and subsequent meltdowns as a result...

Have we forgot how inequitable and inconsistent they are?

Dave Libbey & his tainted crew of "officials" have always had it out for physical play, mis-matches they deem unfair, analyzing film for so-called 'previous propensities', and any team willing to bang it inside are punished.

Speaking of, a Fran Fraschilla tweet last night:

Feel bad for Harvard Crimson yet credit Saint Mary's for great comeback. Had a flashback to my days with West Coast officials. Sorry, guys! #pitiful

Zags will be the focus of Libbey's officials and their show and dramatics on the court, never let 'em play. I predict Coach Few with a few T's this WCC season and regular foul outs by our bigs, undeservingly so.

hondo
01-01-2013, 12:48 PM
We are about to enter another dimension. There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call WCC officiating

john montana
01-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Harvard got homered big time. That jump ball call was just insane.

maynard g krebs
01-01-2013, 12:56 PM
It's business. On the road, the building is filled when the Zags come to town. It's in the interest of the business model to get those people to go to other games. A close, competitive loss, and the occasional win for the home team is more likely to get those people to come back for other games than a 30 point blowout is.

So the home team is allowed more physical play overall.

Same is usually true when the Zags are at home against high level competition, as has been pointed out by opposing fans. Unless big 10 officials are in the house (Illinois).

Kiddwell
01-01-2013, 12:56 PM
We are about to enter another dimension. There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call WCC officiating

Harvard got jobbed late in the game. However, the Ivy League boys didn't help themselves by clanging late free throws that would've iced the contest.

On a side note, if that's as good as SMC can play, we are going to annihilate them. In fact, so is BYU and maybe SCU. The loss of Rob Jones to their roster, at this point, appears huge.

:]

Goshzagit
01-01-2013, 12:59 PM
touch fouls on Delly, phantom calls on help defense, inexplicable charges on every post move, moving screens by all our bigs, and no chance at rebounding over other WCC players, all shorter.

even if we are 10-30 pts better than every other West Coast Conference team, our officials will make sure games are evenly played.

our only chance....Mike Hart drawing charges, otherwise, our physical play, hard-nosed toughness, and inside-out play we earned in OOC play, will be punished in WCC.

for whatever reason, we seem to forget this occurs every year. Our style of play will be whistled for fouls we've never even seen or heard of before...

this will cost us some games, sounds petty, but true when dealing with Libbocracy Officiating or Davetatorship Officiating...whatever you want to call it.

I call it a disgrace to the game.

As I said above, just wait...

I've cut my hair short for WCC play, b/c I know I'll be pulling it out sooner or later with these p!ss-poor refs.

fortunately for us, we've only played one game thus far with even one Dave Libbey official...and that was vs Pacific...he received several "That Ref sucks" from our Kennel Club.

SteelZag
01-01-2013, 01:06 PM

Watching The Twilight Zone marathon on Sci-Fi channel as I type.

Angelo Roncalli
01-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Sam Haddad
Ken Ditty
Tom Wood (the most whistle-happy ref in the conference)

Depressing thoughts for the New Year.

john montana
01-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Just watched the end of the smc/Harvard game again, and it was an absolute robbery by the officials. The "foul" that put holt on the line, the "foul" that put young on the line to win the game...neither was close. No WAY do you call that foul with 1 on the clock that gives young 2 free throws.

But the "jump ball" called with Harvard up three and about a minute left was the worst call I have seen all year. An absolute gift of an extra possession, which smc capitalized on to cut it to one. Harvard should have had the ball, and been shooting free throws after smc would have had to foul to go up five. Worst call this year.

Zagdawg
01-01-2013, 01:52 PM
So your saying the WCC officials were looking out for the conference RPI--very kind of them.

willandi
01-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Perhaps the Zags would be wise to consider moving to another conference?

webspinnre
01-01-2013, 02:36 PM
the "foul" that put young on the line to win the game...neither was close. No WAY do you call that foul with 1 on the clock that gives young 2 free throws.

I'm sorry, but are you implying that the rules change with 1 second left, and its now acceptable to hack players? That was a foul, and should've been called a foul.

But the "jump ball" called with Harvard up three and about a minute left was the worst call I have seen all year. An absolute gift of an extra possession, which smc capitalized on to cut it to one. Harvard should have had the ball, and been shooting free throws after smc would have had to foul to go up five. Worst call this year.

No argument here, absolutely terrible.

All this being said, it doesn't even get to this if Harvard can just hold on to the ball with 20 odd seconds to go, instead of throwing it out of bounds.

HOOTER
01-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Perhaps the Zags would be wise to consider moving to another conference?

Maybe.

The improvement of the conference as a whole has been overstated (but that's not to say the talent level hasn't jumped slightly). The officiating really is a big part of the problem. They attempt to level the playing field in conference games to give lesser teams a fighting chance, but it only serves to maintain the conferences overall level of mediocrity. I just hope my poor TV survives the remainder of the season, because things will be thrown in it's general direction.

john montana
01-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Webspinner, I think the phantom foul on young is a play on in any situation. Nothing there on that play, regardless of time and score, but i especially hated to see that call with 1.1 on the clock. Two guys fighting for a rebound for a split second and they blow the whistle...it was a horrible call.

But not as bad as that jump ball. Wow. Dellevedova might have put two fingers on the ball for a split second and gets the call. I felt bad for Harvard...but glad smc got the win for rpi purposes.

willandi
01-01-2013, 04:42 PM
I thought Young WAS fouled, but many of the fouls HE committed weren't. Same kind of thing with Delly. They are tugging jerseys, tapping elbows and all the little things that are deemed to small to call, but influence the game.

Speaking of fouls, Whatever happened to the elbow to the head foul being called, or is that only on bigs to littles? Saw several games yesterday where a guard got the ball, elevated his arms and struck opposing players in the head, with an elbow. Have they removed that emphasis? or is that called the Rob Sacre rule!

Crusader Rick
01-01-2013, 06:26 PM
I am a huge college basketball fan, and am a transplant to this area. I am not a huge GU fan, but do find myself pulling for them most of the time as I want the local team to do well. That being said, I always find it amusing when I see GU fans complaining about the refs. I guess it's just something that every fan (short for fanatic) does. Of course the zebras miss one from time to time that really hurts your team, but if there are any teams in the country that gets more home cooking than the Zags do at the MAC, I think you can count them on one hand

mulerose
01-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Now might be a good time to complain to the WCC and Libby about the poor officiating of the Harvard game on national TV, before GU even plays.