PDA

View Full Version : WCC schedule will be no easy task...

HenneZag
12-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Now that we have successfully fought our way through a tough OOC schedule (exluding the Butler game) it is time to get back what is ours...a WCC championship! To me this is the toughest part of the year, a bunch of teams that define success solely by beating the ZAGS and always give us everything they have. Not only that, most will agree that the talent level and overall strength of the conference is starting to level out for the most part.

The teams that will give us fits this year:SM/BYU/SC/SF/LMU...if we dont show up to play on any night let alone vs the teams mentioned above, we will suffer a few unexpected losses. Santa Clara is a team that really intrigues me, fantastic guard play in Roquemore and Foster, Trasolini is back and they have some nice role players...we will see this game Sat night and I am expecting a very tight game.

Although I don't really like predictions, who do you think will be the biggest test for the ZAGS this year, and what will our record be when conference play is done?

My picks:

Santa Clara provides the biggest test

Record:13-3

Goshzagit
12-31-2012, 10:04 PM
and possibly losing Gary Bell for a good chunk of time won't help matters...

maynard g krebs
01-01-2013, 12:32 AM
14-2. BYU and Santa Clara.

bartruff1
01-01-2013, 04:58 AM
But this team has really really improved during the non conference schedule. They are playing with great confidence and you cannot over estimate how important that is in sports.

I haven't drank it yet, but there is a whole jug of kool aid in the frig....

These first two games will be difficult to prepare for but by the Mary's game on the 10th Few will have them ready for WCC play.

GonzaGAW
01-01-2013, 09:52 AM
with our best ooc results ever, its easy to let that koolaid go to the head.

sure at first blush i'd say if we can go 13-1 with our ooc schedulde we can breeze thru the conference schedule, but its not 2005 or 2009 anymore. the wcc really has improved in the past few years.

i agree that there are any of about 5 teams that can jump up and bite us in the butt this year. i figure with a 16 game schedule any team is going to lay an egg once. in past 3 yrs that has been san fran for us. so that is one loss.
byu's hays alone can beat any team on his own if he gets just a little hot. then there is st mary's, santa clara and the rest.

so i think 13-3 is realistic, and i'd be happy with that actually.

if we can beat butler and win the conference that brings us to 28-4 come march, and a 4 seed in my estimation.

rijman
01-01-2013, 10:02 AM
The Zags could go undefeated in conf this season, but it's tough to bring it every game especially against good teams on the road. I think the Zags will drop no more than 2 conf games this season.

ZagLawGrad
01-01-2013, 10:02 AM
After the performance we saw from the Zags in December, and the lack of quality play we have seen from our WCC brethren to date, I see a high probability that the Zags will run the table.

The only real obstacle is if they beat themselves with the TO's and dumb mistakes.

jazzdelmar
01-01-2013, 10:06 AM
schedule sets up well. there will be a letdown after two magnificent wins agst BCS teams and Pep is the perfect antidote. then Keating but then Randy at home.....progression......they wont go undefeated...thats hard.....one loss....could even be a quirky one, such as USF, rather than the so called better teams. i still find it embarrassing (for randy) that Smc played Hale and Yarvard and we played two upper 30 or so BCS squads.

Virginia Zags Fan
01-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Some teams you just have to beat because you are better. That is Pepp this week. SCU on Saturday will be a true test. I am not sure if their students are back yet, so that may be in our favor. We have had a tough time in the Bay area the last few years.

I thought at the beginning of this five game stretch (Baylor-SMC), it would tell us so much about this group of guys. We have already learned much. The guys still have much to improve upon and I hope that continues!

So, at the beginning of the stretch, would people have been happy if we go 4-1? I would have said yes. Realistically, I think 13-3 assures a tie for 1st in the WCC. Again, we will learn an awful lot about these guys in the next 8 days!

john montana
01-01-2013, 10:27 AM
I am with jazz re embarrassing. Rhode Island and Yale? As for us, I would take 13-3 right now. Santa Clara is for real and will be extremely physical, lmu and usf are dangerous and despite smc's romar like scheduling philosophy...they still have Dellevedova. He is going to torch us, we have never handled their pick and roll game well.

CDC84
01-01-2013, 10:33 AM
I think the game at SCU on Saturday night is going to be the toughest league game of the season. At this point, I think the Broncos could be GU's biggest challenger in the WCC, although SMC and BYU will be right there as well.

Something to remember....It seems like Gonzaga has lost a gazillion years in a row at USF. That has got to end this year. The Zags need to prove they can beat them in that gym. LMU has also proven to be a tough place to play at in recent times.

Reborn
01-01-2013, 10:38 AM
I think the game at SCU on Saturday night is going to be the toughest league game of the season. At this point, I think the Broncos could be GU's biggest challenger in the WCC, although SMC and BYU will be right there as well.

Something to remember....It seems like Gonzaga has lost a gazillion years in a row at USF. That has got to end this year. The Zags need to prove they can beat them in that gym. LMU has also proven to be a tough place to play at in recent times.

I pretty much agree. The games this weekend will be tough,especially Santa Clara. However, I say our toughest game in conference will be @ BYU. I'm glad we had a road game @ OKState because I think it will prepare us for another very difficult place to play in. The WSU game in Pullman also helps us.

Hoopaholic
01-01-2013, 12:01 PM
How is Santa Clara going to stop our bigs( assuming they show up with intensity).....duke went to their bigs finally in second half and ran away from them

bballbeachbum
01-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Agree with jazz too re. embarrassing; they do it every year basically seems to me. All eggs into the Beat Gonzaga basket. whatever, I give Bennett credit for riding coattails well I guess

on SCU, the whistles are always weird at Leavey. That is how SCU could compete vs. the Zags dominant front line. Also would expect the Zags to get many opportunities from the FT line to have to earn the 2, so an off night at the line on the road is another way things could turn bad.

but I think the Zags will win in a good game

Mantua
01-01-2013, 12:25 PM
and possibly losing Gary Bell for a good chunk of time won't help matters...

I think this is our biggest problem.

I hope someone can step up their game and surprise us since there will no doubt be an opportunity.

SteelZag
01-01-2013, 12:28 PM
How is Santa Clara going to stop our bigs( assuming they show up with intensity).....duke went to their bigs finally in second half and ran away from them

Duke's bigs got really going when they were up against SCU's guards due to all their bigs in foul trouble. WCC officiating could have a bunch of calls going other way. Looked really good until Duke stuck to Foster like glue in second half. I'm sure some NFL ref's may have caught some holds in some of those plays. The Zags will go as far in conference as refs will let them.

I for one enjoy the Zags physical play, but they seem to be built for tourney time. In years past when the Zags were often labled "soft", I think it was more just their habit of standing around in transition waiting for a "WCC" foul to be called.

Hoopaholic
01-01-2013, 12:29 PM
I don't think we will see extended absence of bell...he discussed need to stretch it out and loosen it up, couple that statement with how he was injured ( leg whip to the rear of the leg...knee) I think it is more bruised issue than anything

Reborn
01-01-2013, 04:56 PM
before moving on I'd just like to say how great and exciting the OOC games have been this year. The schedule was put together in a great way. It seemed to be like following footsteps as each game led to, and prepared us for, a more difficult game. There have been so many good games, and a few have been really exciting and nail biting. I don't think our OOC schedule has ever included 4 or 5 teams in the top 25. The Zags have won them all but one so far (we still have Butler in a couple of weeks).

The biggest surprise for me so far this year has been Kelly Olynyk, by far. He replaced Robert Sacre in a way that I don't think any of us thought he would. I remember when I first read that Few had said that Kelly was probably the best player on the team, I just laughed to myself, wondering if Few was joking. I was anxious to see him play. We had to wait a few weeks, but wow when I saw him I was just in awe as my jaw dropped several inches. His game at WSU was unbelievable, as was last nights. He is just so hard to defend. I've never seen a center play like him, and he is so creative that you just don't know what he's going to do once he gets the ball.

I love Elias' game also this year, especially his passing. He's really become a good passer. His defense has also improved a whole lot.

Pangos is finding his groove at the right time. He kind of had a slow start, but wow, has he ever found himself the last two games. He's becoming the player that I felt he would be this year.

I could go on and on but but I'll let you all add your thoughts to this thread. Finally, I love this team for the chemistry and cohesiveness that we see on the floor. Everyone is so tight with each other and they really are a band of brothers that I saw in the '99 team. They really seem to believe in one another and their ability to get the job done. I truly believe Few when he says that this team is special, and one reason is because they really don't seem to care about the NBA, but prefer to care about each other. I really like that alot. Playing on a div I team at GU, I know exactly what Few is talking about. I am so excited to continue to watch this team each week as they now move into the second part of the season, Conference Play. I have enjoyed every season with the Zags, but honestly I have not enjoyed any of them the way I have enjoyed this one. Maybe I'm still "high" from the Zag-Aide I drank last night, but what the heck, I'm having a very Happy New Year's day.

10 Piece Bucket
01-01-2013, 05:47 PM
It may be nerve wracking to watch, as our REAL season gets underway, but I truly believe that the lads can sweep the WCC. Yes it is true that the other teams have improved- but the Zaqs this year are stellar! KO not only put on pounds and improved his play, he has what other past Bigs lacked - GRIT. Bottom line it's not too early to think about ordering your 16 pound prime rib for when they get to the Sweet 16- Anyone have an idea for an Elite Eight menu?

Reborn
01-01-2013, 06:33 PM
It may be nerve wracking to watch, as our REAL season gets underway, but I truly believe that the lads can sweep the WCC. Yes it is true that the other teams have improved- but the Zaqs this year are stellar! KO not only put on pounds and improved his play, he has what other past Bigs lacked - GRIT. Bottom line it's not too early to think about ordering your 16 pound prime rib for when they get to the Sweet 16- Anyone have an idea for an Elite Eight menu?

I too think they can sweep the WCC. It's been done before a few times; so why not this year? I can't see right now how anyone defends are post players? There are just too many of them and they're so big. No one has been able to do it so far. Pangos has found his shooting touch and Bell will soon find his. It's a very balanced scoring machine.

ZagsGoZags
01-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Foster at Santa Clara has killed us before,
he has a good guard and a couple of big post players with him now (one of them is darn good).
I am not convinced, so far, that he is far behind Delly of KP for best PG in the WCC.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he won that honor this year. He is streaky like KP, while Dellavadova is consistent, and maybe Delly will get the award partly due to that.

At any rate, we all saw WSU. These teams get up for us, like SCU got up for Duke, and St Mary's plays us like they had a buzz saw in their pants. I would be very happy for one loss in the league this year and yet win the WCC tournament. I don't expect more than that.

NEC26
01-01-2013, 06:45 PM
I just want beat USF at their house this year.

Zaglaw
01-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Agree with jazz too re. embarrassing; they do it every year basically seems to me. All eggs into the Beat Gonzaga basket. whatever, I give Bennett credit for riding coattails well I guess

Apparently SMC fans think they are the Zags key focus. This from their board:

"I sense that Few's mission this year is not only to beat the Gaels but to humiliate them on a national stage."

Lol! The ultimate conceit! I'm pretty sure Few's mission in conference this year is to win the conference & the tourney.

:roll:

Zagdawg
01-01-2013, 07:46 PM
The gaels are doing their own national stage work----Few doesn't need to assist with that.

I'm thinking Few has a little bit more on his mind than the mighty gaels.

SteelZag
01-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Apparently SMC fans think they are the Zags key focus. This from their board:

"I sense that Few's mission this year is not only to beat the Gaels but to humiliate them on a national stage."

Lol! The ultimate conceit! I'm pretty sure Few's mission in conference this year is to win the conference & the tourney.

:roll:

I wouldn't consider an 11:00pm start on east coast a national stage. Are they hoping we may meet in Elite Eight?

OZZY
01-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Love the prediction thread on GIAG where almost everyone is predicting Zags will have the best record. Alemeda fan doesn't even make a prediction instead blasts his fellow Gaels fans about how they do not have faith in RB's planning and their players. He describes how SMC will handle GU and explains why. The only thing is, he is using last years Zag team as his basis for his analysis. The guy has an incredible chip on his shoulder.....

Here is my take.

The Zags go 14-2 but do not meet SMC in the final of the WCC Championships (that spot goes to BYU). Delly does make WCC POY though over my personal favorite Kelly Olynyk as the Zags use a longer bench during the WCC and Kelly's numbers are not as impressive as Delly's.

SCU will not get the best out of Marc Trasolini as their guards hoist up so many shots that he harldy ever touches the ball. Beyond Traz they really do not have anyone who will stand up to the GU big men or BYU's Davies.

The Zags will win at USF.

webspinnre
01-01-2013, 09:27 PM
My favorite part was some of the math that involves the conference teams winning more than losing. It truly is going to be a magical year in the WCC.

Angelo Roncalli
01-01-2013, 09:49 PM
My favorite part was some of the math that involves the conference teams winning more than losing. It truly is going to be a magical year in the WCC.

"It's arithmetic."

Kiddwell
01-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Kiddwell has this silly notion about the Zags winning 30 games this year. Have we ever done that before? Thirty?

:]

Angelo Roncalli
01-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Kiddwell has this silly notion about the Zags winning 30 games this year. Have we ever done that before? Thirty?
:]

No. It's been a milestone I've coveted for years.

2wiceright
01-01-2013, 10:55 PM
After the performance we saw from the Zags in December, and the lack of quality play we have seen from our WCC brethren to date, I see a high probability that the Zags will run the table.

The only real obstacle is if they beat themselves with the TO's and dumb mistakes.

+1 in best case scenario....This team is running hot. My main concern is away at Santa Clara on Sat. (especially if Gary sits for some of this weekend to rest). Other than them we could drop one at BYU if not playing well. So I'll go with a realistic 12-2 (w/a sip of Koolaid).

This group is remarkable, closer than almost any team we've had(not to mention the talent). I really don't think we'll have one of those dumb loses. If we drop one or two, it will be an away game with a couple of opposing players having "career nights".

After watching St. Mary's game last night, and seeing them lose to Pacific, i honestly don't think we can play lousy enough for them to beat us (with all due respect). Delly is hot and cold this year and their bigs are horrible, (IMHO). And even if Delly plays well they need at least one really good big to stay in the game with us this year (they don't resemle in any form last years team - except Delly).

Ekrub
01-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Zags chili running hot.

16-0

Tests @ SMC and BYU but I think we win those games. The glass is half full my friends.

RenoZag
01-03-2013, 07:01 AM
SCU will not get the best out of Marc Trasolini as their guards hoist up so many shots that he hardly ever touches the ball. Beyond Traz they really do not have anyone who will stand up to the GU big men or BYU's Davies.

Based on what I saw vs. USF last night, SCU does have some beef in the front court and Trasolini is improved over his last full season. . .Garrett, Atanga, McArthur, and Trasolini were banging away vs. the Dons' bigs last night and SCU out-rebounded USF 42-30. The Zags may not need their "A" game to beat SCU but they will walk out of Leavy with an "L" if they bring anything less than a "B+" . . .

Beat Pepperdine !

Zag4Hire
01-03-2013, 07:08 AM
The Zags will win at USF.

Boldest prediction this season.

LongIslandZagFan
01-03-2013, 07:13 AM
Does any other WCC team have any kind of depth in the post? They all seem to be one trick ponies.

77Zag
01-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Win the road games and all will be good --

My New Year's hope is to see the Zags take down USF, SMC and SCU on their home courts. Roll the Bay Area !!

I think we stumble at BYU and that is it! Maybe...

15-1

Go Zags!!

FlyZag
01-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Does any other WCC team have any kind of depth in the post? They all seem to be one trick ponies.

Silly question. Does any team in the NATION have our depth? Very few. However, I think that SCU does have a few quality bigs.

At 6' 9" Trasolini is a SOLID player. He's not as athletic as Elias but he has 2" on him. They also have 7' 270# Robert Garret, 6'8" Harrison, 6' 8" Atanga & 6'9" McArthur. That is a pretty solid front line. They obviously aren't as talented as GU's line, but they proved they could hold their own against Duke's Plumlee, who was averaging 20-10.

And SMC has bodies that can catch and finish off of their guards drives. They have 7' Rowley, 6'11" Hodgson, 6'9 Waldow, 6'9" Young and 6'9 Williams.

I think the difference is there is little offensive drop off when Sam or the Karnivore step on the floor as compared to the drop off in these other teams.

LongIslandZagFan
01-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Silly question. Does any team in the NATION have our depth? Very few. However, I think that SCU does have a few quality bigs.

At 6' 9" Trasolini is a SOLID player. He's not as athletic as Elias but he has 2" on him. They also have 7' 270# Robert Garret, 6'8" Harrison, 6' 8" Atanga & 6'9" McArthur. That is a pretty solid front line. They obviously aren't as talented as GU's line, but they proved they could hold their own against Duke's Plumlee, who was averaging 20-10.

And SMC has bodies that can catch and finish off of their guards drives. They have 7' Rowley, 6'11" Hodgson, 6'9 Waldow, 6'9" Young and 6'9 Williams.

I think the difference is there is little offensive drop off when Sam or the Karnivore step on the floor as compared to the drop off in these other teams.

With that "depth" how on earth did they NOT get Plumlee in foul trouble?

Obviously when discussing depth we are talking ability as well. From the SMC games I have seen this year there is a massive cliff once you get past Waldow.

Reborn
01-03-2013, 09:01 AM

This is pretty much how I feel. The best Zag teams since '99 have run the table in conference play. BYU, in my opinion, is the sleeper and will be very very tough to beat at home.

john montana
01-03-2013, 09:05 AM
SCU is extremely physical. With that and their guards, it will be a tough game. We won't get many layups, and better be prepared to earn it from the free throw line.

BULLDOG#1
01-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Do you think Bennett has requested his brother-in-law, errr... I mean the same officiating crew that worked the Harvard game to work the Zags game?