PDA

View Full Version : New Years in Newmarket

cdools
12-31-2012, 08:00 PM
I had the pleasure tonight to celebrate New Year's by watching the Zags pull out a gutsy win win over OKlahoma State at the home of Bill an Patty Pangos in Newmarket Ontario. A group of 13 of Kevin's family and friends suffered through every possession of a tight game that saw Kevin go off for 18 first half points, only to be shadowed by the strong OK State defence throughout the intense second 20 minutes. The second half saw the Zags struggle to score, seemingly getting baskets only by way of Kelly Olynyk second-chance points. Lightning in the bottle struck as Gary Bell willed in a key three pointer that turned the game and then Kevin sealed the deal with two FT's and the 10th ranked Zags pulled off their HUGE win...

The reason I send this note to GUboards is twofold...First of all, these fans of the Zags started as fans of Kevin's but now call all the Zags by their first names and refer to the Zags as "we." It's pretty impressive seeing a group of Canadian athletes and coaches live and die on every possession of a game of basketball being played in Stillwater Oklahoma, albeit enjoying the exploits of their favourite 'local son done good'.... Secondly, and not to wax too poetically, New Year's is a time of reflection and Kevin sticking those FT's harkens back to the value of hard work. I got to witness a late evening July workout in the Kennel with Kevin and team manager Jade Klette. At the end of the workout Kevin shot FT's. On every attempt Kevin's focus was so intense that it was obvious it wasn't just physical repetition but also getting into the right frame of mind that would be needed to win a game from the line in a key situation...sort of like tonight...

SteelZag
12-31-2012, 08:03 PM
I had the pleasure tonight to celebrate New Year's by watching the Zags pull out a gutsy win win over OKlahoma State at the home of Bill an Patty Pangos in Newmarket Ontario. A group of 13 of Kevin's family and friends suffered through every possession of a tight game that saw Kevin go off for 18 first half points, only to be shadowed by the strong OK State defence throughout the intense second 20 minutes. The second half saw the Zags struggle to score, seemingly getting baskets only by way of Kelly Olynyk second-chance points. Lightning in the bottle struck as Gary Bell willed in a key three pointer that turned the game and then Kevin sealed the deal with two FT's and the 10th ranked Zags pulled off their HUGE win...

The reason I send this note to GUboards is twofold...First of all, these fans of the Zags started as fans of Kevin's but now call all the Zags by their first names and refer to the Zags as "we." It's pretty impressive seeing a group of Canadian athletes and coaches live and die on every possession of a game of basketball being played in Stillwater Oklahoma, albeit enjoying the exploits of their favourite 'local son done good'.... Secondly, and not to wax too poetically, New Year's is a time of reflection and Kevin sticking those FT's harkens back to the value of hard work. I got to witness a late evening July workout in the Kennel with Kevin and team manager Jade Klette. At the end of the workout Kevin shot FT's. On every attempt Kevin's focus was so intense that it was obvious it wasn't just physical repetition but also getting into the right frame of mind that would be needed to win a game from the line in a key situation...sort of like tonight...

+1

ID ZAGFAN
12-31-2012, 08:07 PM
cdools--What a great post! Welcome to the Zag Family!

ZaGranny

sittingon50
12-31-2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the input, cd. Happy New Year!

rennis
12-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Happy New Year to our friends in the North! Thanks for sharing KP with us. He is a treat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MDABE80
12-31-2012, 08:33 PM
Among the best , well raised kids I've seen on campus. I too, get to those late night games in July. I've spend sme time with the new faces like Kevin's. Just a wonderful young man. Great representative of Canada and Gonzaga.

Birddog
12-31-2012, 08:40 PM
I didn't know Canucks celebrated New Year the same as we did, I thought it was like their Thanksgiving, a month or so ago. Nice post.

ZagLawGrad
12-31-2012, 09:20 PM
Super post. Love KP as a Zag. Thanks!

HenneZag
12-31-2012, 09:39 PM
A joy to read...

Great game/Great team/Something special brewing with this group!

Go ZAGS!

abarefootboy
12-31-2012, 10:21 PM
a real treat to read ... thanks so much for sharing .. Happy New Year blessings with all the trimmings !

webspinnre
12-31-2012, 11:05 PM
Really, a wonderful post, and brings us back to who we are, and why we do what we do. Thanks for sharing.

bartruff1
01-01-2013, 04:37 AM
It is impossible to overestimate his impact at Gonzaga. He is a very skilled player but his most important quality is his character. He truly is a coach on the floor and IMHO the smartest player here for more than a decade.

Kevin makes everyone better and would play and contribute to any program in the country and we are very lucky he chose to play at Gonzaga.

gozagswoohoo
01-01-2013, 04:39 AM
Great post!

thespywhozaggedme
01-01-2013, 05:38 AM

Great post and welcome. Since you're an "insider" do you know what happened to one of Kevins junior teammates; Duane Notice; a few years ago he was supposed to be Canada's next great guard, even won co-mvp of the Jordan Classic at MSG. He said that Gonzaga was one of his top choices, but he has fallen off of the map. Do you know what's up with Duane? Thanks and Happy New Year!

Hoopaholic
01-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Gotta love the extended zag family........awesome kids

Mojo13
01-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Duane Notice is in the class of 2013. He is really good, but maybe not great. Much of the spotlight over the years has moved to Andrew Wiggins, Tyler Ennis, Xavier Rathan maynes and some of the youngsters like Montaque gill Cesar and Justin Jackson.
Duane headed to US prep school this year. Somewhere in the northeast and may get more notice from recruiters. He played on the stacked CIA Bounce AAU team this summer. Not sure where/if he has offers from.

Mojo13
01-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Here is some good info on Notice.
Looks like the attention is picking up.
http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=463

Bushman
01-02-2013, 05:26 AM
Great post cdools! I was there and it was so much fun. Kevin and the team deserve much credit for the way they played in such a hostile environment.

Go ZAGS!!