PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game: OSU - 12/31/2012

RenoZag
12-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Big Time Win in the "lion's den"

Who gets your nod for a gritty road victory ?

ESPN BOX SCORE (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=323660197)

No finger nails left after that one. . .

Zags won the battle of the boards, 33-18, and they made 15-18 Free Throws !

john montana
12-31-2012, 04:20 PM
KO. Pangos was big, but KO was a monster.

awberke
12-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Would have been OT if pangos hadn't hit those clutch FTs.

ldszagfan
12-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Although KO had a HUGE second half... Pangos had a monster first half plus he knocked down those last two free throws that won us that game. What a night!

ZagNative
12-31-2012, 04:22 PM
KO. Pangos was big, but KO was a monster.Absolutely!

Ziggy
12-31-2012, 04:23 PM
KP in the first half and KO in the second. All Canadian G-Unit.Kelly with the nod!

gozagswoohoo
My GUnit for the game is my heart medication, followed by this pillow I've been chewing on. Wowowowoowowow

bartruff1
Although KO had a HUGE second half... Pangos had a monster first half plus he knocked down those last two free throws that won us that game. What a night!..... this

U Zig, I Zag
KO, against some conventional 'athletes' (that we supposedly don't see in WCC play) looked like Kevin Love out there - kept going at the rim, rebounds, put backs.

It seems so long ago, but remember when he pulled the ball down - EVERY SINGLE TIME - he touched it?

Seatown
Pangos probably saved me from having a heart attack

HOOTER
Giving the slight edge to KO for battling through adversity and putting together an epic second half.

bigblahla
NEEDS to be joint between TKO and Pangos without either we wouldn't be feeling this gooooood!!!!!!!!

Go!! Zags!!!

hooter73
KP 5ast, 4 reb, 23pts
KO 9reb 21pts

Pangos started it, KO finished it.

RenoZag
12-31-2012, 04:24 PM
My GUnit for the game is my heart medication, followed by this pillow I've been chewing on. Wowowowoowowow

:agreed:

Mantua
KPangos!

He was strong throughout the game-didn't let their phenomenal guards rattle him.

ZagLawGrad
Pangos won the game for us. KO was pretty amazing despite being high centered for half the game.

Bocco
12-31-2012, 04:25 PM
Can we vote by halves? Kevin in the first and Kelly in the second....take away either and the Zags don't win.

I did vote for KP only because his FTs sealed the deal.

Zaglaw
12-31-2012, 04:25 PM
KP in the first half and KO in the second. All Canadian G-Unit.Kelly with the nod!

This

Hoopaholic
12-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Pangos. Took what was given to him first half, made key shot and key assist with big free throws second half, while running offense limited turnovers, played defense and did not get his regular breathers second half due to injury of bell. Complete game

1 turnover 5 assists 4 rebounds

ZagLawGrad
Can we vote by halfs? Kevin in the first and Kelly in the second....take away either and the Zags don't win.

:agreed:

billyberu
Went with Pangos. What a transformation for him the last couple of games. Olynyk was huge in the 2nd half and his dominance in that half deserves worthy praise as well. Hart is a rebounding wizard who absolutely earns playtime, please score at least 5 pts. a game.

Reborn
12-31-2012, 04:27 PM
Pangos. Came out tonight confident with his offense and hit the 3's and gave us offense on the road the first half. Pangos carried us that first half. He hit another 3 the second half and hit those two big free throws.

Kudos to Kelly though for being unstoppable the second half. Wow! Can he ever play offensive basketball. He's like a 7 ft guard. '

A shout out to Gary Bell who did not have a really good shooting game, got hurt, but came back in and missed a couple wide open 3's...BUT!!!!!! When it counted the most he nailed it.

gamagin
12-31-2012, 04:29 PM
KO made it possible for us to win. I picked KO. But it should be shared.

CamarilloZag
12-31-2012, 04:30 PM
Tale of two halves - Pangos first, Olynyk second. However, without those two ultra-clutch free throws, we go into OT or lose. Pangos gets the edge with my vote, but big time win for the whole team and staff!

GeorgiaZagFan
12-31-2012, 04:30 PM
It was close ...but I vote for Pangos because he FINALLY stepped it up on the road..could be a turning point for his career and the Zags season.

zagco
12-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Pangos. He's shooting himself silly these days. Every time he hits, Zagco jumps up and plays air guitar.

The Canadian was right there with him. Great second half. Used every foul he had too! Pay him his money!

Zagdawg
12-31-2012, 04:33 PM
I want to vote for both Kelly and Kevin.

rennis
12-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Kevin. So steady all game. Would have been ugly without him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

maynard g krebs
12-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Tossup between KP and KO. But I made the vote for Bell. Came back to play hurt, looked awful on a couple of open 3's. But at winning time he put it aside and hit the big one.

Smart made a big play for the lead. Bell made a bigger one for the win.

Zerogame
12-31-2012, 04:34 PM
a real team effort, guys making big plays all over. Tough hard nose dog fight, but when ok looked to take control a really tall Canuck said,"Let me play."

tinfoilzag
12-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Bell for draining that very clutch 3 but mostly for not being seriously injured.

surfmonkey89
12-31-2012, 04:37 PM
I voted for Gary Bell's parents, for gifting him with incredibly resilient knee ligaments.

MTZag03
12-31-2012, 04:38 PM
Went Olynyk barely over Pangos since he was the deciding factor in the last 2 minutes. Yes, Kevin hit those two freethrows, but went from down 2 to up 2 or down 1 to up 3 (can't remember) all thanks to Olynyk owning the paint in the 2nd. Good game by both though.

Bogozags
12-31-2012, 04:42 PM

Woohoo you saying your were worried?

I have been growing my nails for two months in anticipation of this game!

Think this is the BIG Marquee win we needed and think the momentum from this win carries us a long way...

Oh, Picked KO who not only had 21pts but SEVEN OFFENSIVE renbounds! He had no pts or rebounds in the first half...

bballbeachbum
12-31-2012, 04:45 PM
so many worthy choices, got to split with KO and KP tho.

Oh Canada!

MTZag03
12-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Oh yeah, wasn't it down 3 to up 1?

Baseline
12-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Gave it to KP because he continued his breakout not on a home court against very athletic guards. He faced a lot of pressure and delivered.

Having said that, Kelly is amazing, he needs to figure out the foul thing so he can play full games. Love his Physical play.

2wiceright
12-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Gave it to KP because he continued his breakout not on a home court against very athletic guards. He faced a lot of pressure and delivered.

Having said that, Kelly is amazing, he needs to figure out the foul thing so he can play full games. Love his Physical play.

Hopefully this ends the stigma of not being able to shoot away from home. We really needed one of our guards to 'go off' tonight!

Also loved Kevins 5 assists, 4 rebounds and two steals to go with his 7 for 12 -23 point outing!!! Nice clutch free throws....:000tens:

Zag365
12-31-2012, 04:55 PM
so many worthy choices, got to split with KO and KP tho.

Oh Canada!

I'll take the Canadians over the German and the American

MDABE80
12-31-2012, 04:57 PM
CO UNITS required for this one.

MickMick
12-31-2012, 05:11 PM
I read a post on here a few days ago that declared that Olynyk was not comparable to Cody Zeller.

I answered that KO was playing on a level comparable to Plumlee, Withey, and Zeller.

I stand by that statement more than ever and I use tonight as just another example.

KO gets Gunit. The most inspired play I have seen by a GU player in a long, long time. I don't know how many of you have competitively played in a team sport, on the road, and behind in the second half. For those of you that have, you know what I'm talking about. It is so easy to lose your composure and let the moment get too big for you.

KO was simply incredible against OSU. Never saw this coming two years ago. Never believed he would deliver at this level.

GZag
12-31-2012, 05:49 PM
Ko earned it.

jim77
12-31-2012, 05:56 PM
KP showed great leadeRship out there tonight....anf KO just ate them up inside..when it really counted. Both are worthy.

MH was again his usual hustle guy...got some key boards....darn that kid plays hard.

webspinnre
12-31-2012, 07:30 PM
Oh, Canada... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwDvF0NtgdU)

Kevin narrowly edged out by Kelly.

zaguarxj
12-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Such a tough call but I had to go with KO. He showed such toughness playing through all the "adversity" (getting fouled mercilessly) and put the Zags on his back for the win. Too bad we can only vote for one, 'cause Pangos was money tonight too. So calm on those free-throws at the end.

ZagsGoZags
12-31-2012, 07:51 PM
In a game where their defense kept halting our momentum, our boys had more ice in their veins.

Smart had two free throws which looked like it could have sent the game into overtime - he choked
TKO in the second half looked he was worth any two of their big guys on the boards, he never seems to panic
GBJ sank the crucial three
Pangos in same situation as Smart made both of his free throws to put us up by 4 instead of three - which was 'killer' because they came right down and made a three with 1 second on the clock

I had to go with KO because most any night somebody on some team gets hot with the treys,
but,
Kelly Olynyk was grinding more sausage down low in the meat factory than OK St. and I think that slowly wears down the opponents' hope and spirit. I don't know if Kevin could have kept that pace up, but TKO looks like his killer spirit grinds along no matter what else is happening, and never looks like he is having an exceptional night. He looks more and more like business-as-usual. That is discouraging for the other team. Jus my opinion

roxdoc
12-31-2012, 09:01 PM
I went with Kevin. He kept us in it in the first half. KO kept us in it in the second half with really gutty and amazing play. But it was Kevin who hit the final two free throws to make it a two possession game. Kevin also was the player who set up Bell by driving to the center and then a great dish to an open Bell (bless his heart!). These two separate efforts, both with only seconds remaining and the game definitely on the line, were the stuff of a real game hero.

Birddog
12-31-2012, 09:01 PM
I went with the tallest Canuck.

Nevtelen
12-31-2012, 11:23 PM
Olynyk was great in the 2nd half, but did foul out, did nothing in the 1st half and KP, while not being a giant scoring presence in the 2nd half, did carry the team during the 1st half, hit crucial FTs with seconds left, make the game-winning assist out of not a whole heck of a lot of options, and overcome his utp-to-now road 3-pt shooting jinx, at least for one game.

In brief, I give it go KP.

kitzbuel
01-01-2013, 05:30 AM
KO with 21 pts in the second half killed OSU. They didn't have a way to handle him.

Would it have been a blow out if he had not been in trouble in the first half?

kitzbuel
01-01-2013, 05:53 AM
Seven of KO's nine rebounds were O rebounds. That was a backbreaker for OSU.

gozagswoohoo
01-01-2013, 06:22 AM
I voted for Pangos, but I don't think you could go wrong with KP or KO. Both were great. As a few have stated, Kelly KILLED them in the 2nd half. He was the difference when they keyed in on Pangos and 'shut him down' (as compared to his performance in the first half).

But Kevin's big steal in the 2nd and free throws sealed it for me. (not by much though!)

NotoriousZ
01-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Pangos. He's shooting himself silly these days. Every time he hits, Zagco jumps up and plays air guitar.

The Canadian was right there with him. Great second half. Used every foul he had too! Pay him his money!

My threetar playing has improved over the last two games. But I need to buy another one because I did a Pete Townshend on Gary's last three.

I voted Kelly, but he was only slightly bigger than Pangos.

bostonzagfan
01-01-2013, 08:51 AM
zags dont win without either of their games, but pangos played well in two halves, not one...

TacomaZAG
01-01-2013, 10:30 AM
no question, but without Mike Hart's contributions, 5 offensive boards, screen for GBJ 3 at the end, various hustle plays, etc. we lose that game.

Mike Hart get's G-Unit for me tonight, typical lunch bucket game for him.

Love the glue guys..........

Go ZAGS

nonzagzag
01-01-2013, 11:37 AM
1st star: KP - played against tougher opposing players
2nd star: KO
3rd star MH