PDA

View Full Version : observation?

golfmania
12-31-2012, 09:39 AM
I am jacked for the game today, and the season so far, but i notice a trend on defense, maybe somebody has already addressed this, and if they have i am sorry for the repeat. It seems like we are reverting to last years 3 point defense. Especially when we play good guards who like to dribble drive penetrate, we always try to help out defensively by double teaming the guard, who then kicks it out to a wide open 3 point option, who buries it. Wouldn't it make more sense to let our bigs down low stop the layup, and leave the rest of the defense on the 3 point line to defend? I would rather give up a 2 point shot than a back breaking 3 point dagger to get the opposing team back in the game. We generally play pretty solid defense, why not use the bigs we have to help out. Am i missing something, and if i am, i will be the first to admit it. Thanks for any feedback! Go Zags!

roxdoc
12-31-2012, 12:01 PM
In the past we have been thin enough up front to make the coaches worry about foul trouble on our bigs. We have more fouls to burn this year so what you say makes sense to a degree. However the long standing perceived necessity for "help" is so inbred into the coach's thinking that change may not occur. The "system" - which works against many, but not all, teams appears unajustable.

hondo
12-31-2012, 12:58 PM
If I had a system that allowed me to win about 80% of the time overall and allowed me to be 12-1 this year--I'm not sure I would want to tinker with that system too much.

roxdoc
12-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Agree. And who knows with a little bit of luck against the other 20% we may be able to go beyond bridesmaid. As most of us would agree Luck plays a role in the dance.

BTB
12-31-2012, 01:34 PM
I don't know if we are "reverting". We have been giving teams tons of open looks all year, it was just that the teams we played earlier this year were not capitalizing.