PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Oklahoma St predictions/other thoughts

Reborn
12-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Gonzaga 75
Ok State 72

This is a great game. I'm so excited. I'm still pumped about last night's victory, but it's already time to get this thread posted so you all can get your ideas posted. I know alot of people who post here will feel this is a loss. I felt like it would be for awhile, but after last nights win, and the way the Zags played, I feel they can pull this out by the hair of their chinny chin chin.

I haven't seen Ok State play so I'm basing my opinion on three things: the fact that I believe that the Zags are better than them; second Gonzaga has always played well against Ok State, and last Ok State is young. They are talented, yes! But they are not a senior led team the way Illinois is, and I think this will be the difference. The Zags have had a good road test in Pullman, and they pulled that one out also by the hair of their chinny chin chin.

kclubfounder
12-29-2012, 02:35 PM
OK St 78
Gonzaga 67

:(

But I've been wrong many, many times before.

;)

zagfan1970
12-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Zags edge in depth is negated by Few shortening the rotation- Close game, but down the stretch Zags get a little tired with Pangos, Bell, Harris and KO all logging 30 plus minutes. SD may get 15, PK-12, GLE and KD 6-8, and DS 8-12. Our size is off set a little by poor biased officiating (like Duke-Santa Clara). They will let their guards foul our bigs reaching in to help in the paint, yet call us for touch fouls on their penetration. Zags, on a neutral court win.

Just believe they have a LOT of things to overcome- Ok St 74-67.

Hoping I am wrong and the Zags play their toughest well-balanced game of the year and pull off a New Year's Eve beat down like they did against Xavier!

raise the zag
12-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Pokes - 78
Poked - 62

Sensing the Zags are humbled in this one...they've had 9 days off, we're coming off an emotional, up & down game vs tough, athletic, BCS opponent.

Our guards are simply not enough vs their NBA backcourt (literally).

Our front court will be effective, yet foul trouble due to their guards penetration, dribble drive, & home court advantage.

We go cold vs their defensive pressure and not quite ready to put it together on the road.

I could see a 20-30 pt loss too, especially after watching Okie St.

As we all know, their guards are tremendous at defense and dribble-drive, which is our weakness.

Our bigs can score, yet won't be nearly enough on the road.

This game will haunt us, but in a good way. We'll learn a lot...well, we'll be exposed on our weaknesses and what we need to consistently work on.

The match-up reminds me of playing Illinois in 2002 with Dee Brown & Deron Williams...Nash & Smart are just as good and strong and talented.

We take a whipping this one.

Which is OK, b/c we respond in a big way the next game out. Motivates us for WCC play.

willandi
12-29-2012, 03:35 PM
doomed

ZagLawGrad
12-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Zags should take this one. Single digits.

SteelZag
12-29-2012, 04:07 PM
The Zags beat Baylor by 7 points.
Baylor beat BYU by 15 points.
BYU beat Virginia Tech by 26 points.
Virginia Tech beat Oklahoma State by 10 points.

So if we played at home we would be favored by 58 points.

On the road....

Zags 77
Cowboys 74

:pray:

bartruff1
12-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Very, very difficult to beat a quality team on the road....BUT....

Defense and depth travel well...offense...not so much....so....

If they cannot turn our guards over for easy scores and we play the kind of team defense we are capable of....

The key might be Kelly (Harris is always good)....If someone doesn't go off on the perimeter...

We could win a slugfest low scoring game...something like... 63 to 59....

If that happens...bring on the kool aid...if not, we will have to fire Few.

bigblahla
12-29-2012, 05:02 PM
I'm having all the Kool-aid I can consume. Zags are 12-1 and we can beat the pokes at IBA, Yes we can. If for some reason we don't then we're 12-2 going into conference and who here amongst us would stick up their nose up at that record when we were heading into the OOC schedule.

Smart is good enough to carry the pokes but if we limit his help and play focused on both ends of the court I feel our Zags are the better TEAM.

C'mon LIZF have a drink we're 12-1. :D

Zags win a close one.

Go!! Zags!!!

Oregonzagnut
12-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Pangos actually calls "bank" for a 3pt shot to win it with 2.5 seconds left. We win by 2 points.

hooter73
12-29-2012, 06:54 PM
they have A good player, but a pretty decent team.

Bell goes for 18 points.

FlyZag
12-29-2012, 07:26 PM
They don't shoot the 3 nearly as well as Illinois! We dominate on the inside & fouls add up on the Pokes. Nearly the entire team fouls out. Ford petitions the scorers table to let him play as a player/coach so they don't have to finish the game 4 on 5. Zags win! Zags win! Zags win!

Bull Doggies - 68
Bull Riders - 62

willandi
12-29-2012, 07:53 PM
They appear to have good size inside, bigger guards and a nice cast to fill in the pieces, but looking at the stats, their bigs are still young and unproven. They have 4 main players, a 6'7 SF, and 3 guards, 6'4, 6'3 and 5'11. They shoot 31% from 3, so most of the guard scoring is on drives.
The way the Zags have been playing, switching and hedging (whatever that means) should stop some of that.
We need to P&R, and use the High-Low with our bigs.
Paul didn't beat us, it was going away from the game plan that let Ill. beat us. pound the ball inside, pass out to the open shooter, and we win.
Zags 84
OS 71

ZagNative
12-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Joe likes us, but ...
Hayden Deitrick ‏@hdeitrick

@ESPNLunardi who do you have in Gonzaga vs Oklahoma St?
Joe Lunardi ‏@ESPNLunardi

Zags are better, but better team often loses in our sport. “@hdeitrick: @ESPNLunardi who do you have in Gonzaga vs Oklahoma St?”

And off-topic...

Joe Lunardi ‏@ESPNLunardi

No.

“@jonmanley: @ESPNLunardi anyone have a legitimate chance at challenging the Zags for the WCC title this year?”

DCZag
12-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Defend the dribble drive penetration and if they aren't on fire from 3 (even tho' they shoot 31%, teams always seem to have a career night against us) we pull away late and win by 8....

Kiddwell
12-30-2012, 12:42 AM
Them Northwest Fellers (a poem)
<ahem>
The Few Gang mounted up to ride,
A southeast route they rode,
Few’s wranglers yipped; Few’s wranglers yi’d,
Till Tommy had ‘em told:
“We gotta gunfight on our hands—
The Cowboys! Don’cha know it?”
“Why, shore, we do,” drawled Elias bland.
”Then, Pardner, best you show’d it!”
And “show’d it” did that rowdy gang,
They whooped ‘n’ yipped up thunder,
In stirrups tall, ten-gallon hats,
“Tarnations!” without number.

The rawhide flew, the ponies “neighed,”
A rattler ducked fer cover,
The harder that Few’s trail hands played,
The more them ‘pokes cried, “Mother!”
But Moms were scarce on that grassland,
And scarcer still the buckets.
Till Gary B, that ol’ ranch hand,
Reached back, let go, and stuck it!
So how’d it end, this Texas tale?
Well, how’d ya think there, pard?
Them Cowpokes ended up in jail,
Them northwest fellers, starred!

Yer Sure-a-Shootin' Prediction:
Colt .45s - 68
Winchester Air Rifles - 61

:]

Gonzagasaur
12-30-2012, 10:05 AM
First off-
I see this game being close until the 5 min mark of the first half at which point the zags will pick it up and jump out to an 8 point lead.... Second half will be hard fought but zags will maintain the lead, wear 'um out... and win by 17.

Second-
The fans overindulged in funky orange coolaid on the OSU boards will realize they prefer the much more consistent and reliable... orange juice... sorry guys!
:cheers:

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
12-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Welcome to GUBoards, Gonzagasaur. Very good post. I really like your confidence, but remember that the ZAGS are playing @ Ok. State. Usually, the team with home court advantage gets around 7-10 points to begin with. Like you, I don't believe Ok State is as good as Illinois or even as good as Baylor.

Ok. State is structured pretty much like Illinois where the focus of their offense is on 3 players: Nash, Smart and Brown, and the 4th scorer is Forte who is also a guard. Ok State's post players seem to be about the same as Illinois. The difference to me is that Illinois is led by seniors, and Ok State is led by a Sophomore, a Freshman, and a Junior, and Forte is a Freshman also. Two of their top four players are Freshmen. Gonzaga is led by a Senior, and a redshirt Junior, and two Sophomores. Two seniors play at our 5th position and the first or second off the bench. In big games like this I give the advantage to the older players.

Ok State is 94th in the country in points per game and 147th in field goal percentage. On the other hand Gonzaga is 9th in scoring and 2nd in field goal percentage. Baylor was 35th in ppg and 22nd in field goal %. Finally, Illinois 44th in scoring and 135th in field goal percentage. The statistics I'm looking at seem to support your idea that Gonzaga is considerabley better that Ok State. However, because GU is on the road we must give OK State 7-10 points, but GU still comes out on top by 7-10 points.

Finally, I think Gonzaga has played a much more difficult schedule so far. Ok State did beat North Carolina State in November, but since then they have not played a really good opponent. And they lost to Virginia Tech who really is not all that great. BYU just thumped them by 20+ points. Meanwhile, in the last 3 weeks Gonzaga has played Illinois, Kansas St. and Baylor. Gonzaga also has wins against Oklahoma, Clemson, Davidson and WSU. Our schedule has prepared GU to go into Oklahoma State and beat them on their home court. Gonzaga has also played on the road at WSU which is a very, very hostile environment and pulled out a victory. The Zags also played in Key Arena in Seattle before 16,000 people. I just feel that these two games has prepared them to play inanother large arena, and one which will be very hostile.

BULLDOG#1
12-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Looks to be a great matchup. Much has been made of the zags inability to stop larger and stronger guards, but I'm not sure I agree. I can't see the Okie guards killing the zags any more than Pierre Jackson did, and he's not exactly a big guard.

OkState has a great team, but let's keep it real: Marcus Smart is not Bandon Paul. Good player for sure, but not the level of Paul (or Jackson).

Still, it's going to take a superior team effort to get a win in this game and the guards will have to play well. Prior to the season, I was way more concerned about the front court's ability to match the backcourt. Didn't think I'd be worrying about how Pangos and Bell would perform... I do expect Harris and KO to have solid games. Since KO has been in the lineup, there hasn't been a frontline that can really contain the two of them, and they've played much better front courts than OKState.

I think this game could go either way. If Pangos still has the hot hand, it could be lights out for the cowboys, but he's not exactly been a consistent shooter on the road. Could be one of those games where Karnowski, Dower, or Dranginis go nuts - having depth like we do provides at least a shot at that every game. Do they even have a post defender that can stop Karnowski?

We have been waiting for a long time for the zags to secure a signature road win against a top 20 team in a hostile environment and I'm hoping this is it. If I had to guess - 74-63 zags.

Zagnificent
12-30-2012, 11:11 AM
If Pangos and Bell are able to keep up a respectable outside shooting percentage (~40-50%) then I think the game is a pretty solid win. In order for us to really play to our inside strength, it's critical that we maintain some sort of perimeter threat. Much of our success against Baylor in the second half can be attributed to getting the 1-on-1 match-ups in the paint, and subsequently exploiting them. Without Pangos and Bell shooting so well, the help defense could have cheated toward the paint and forced more turnovers or impacted shots. Ok. St. can't even match Baylor's interior, and they'll have no shot against our dominant front line. I just hope we can keep our offense balanced and their defenders honest.

Baseline
12-30-2012, 02:48 PM
I think the game will be determined by how well the guards can fee the inside and put Ok in foul trouble inside. Need to keep the turnovers down as they will score on a turnover.

My biggest concern is stopping the dribble drive. I'm expecting their guards to penetrate and put real pressure on the inside player. Racking up fouls on the penetration could be big. If Kelly gets into foul trouble early it could determine the game.

RandleZAG
12-30-2012, 03:25 PM
I hate to say this but the way the treand has been going we will lose by 2 points.Heres why we beat Baylor by 34 points, Oklahoma by 25 points, Kansas State by 16 points, Baylor by 7 points. What does all that mean you ask? Well against the Big 12 teams each time we play them our margin of victory keeps droping by 9 points.I hope the trean gets broken when we play Oklahoma State.

ZagNative
12-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Seth Greenberg's Big Game Breakdown video (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8794124). (Seth has raved about the Zags this year, though he is impartial in this outing.)

GonzaGAW
12-30-2012, 05:49 PM
i have four worries
1. road game, we only have had one true road game and we know how easily we could have lost that game. and we wont have any traveling fans in the stands like down in pullman. home crowd is always good for a few points minimum.
2. smart, likely the best freshman guard in the country, just ask coach few.
3. turnovers, yes i make this a key to most any big close game.
4. free throws, will the 65% team show up?

i have four hopes
1. i think the team grew some in the wsu and kansas state and baylor games, they are beginning to show me anyway that they are mentally tough, disciplined.
2. while smart is a great talent, i do not think he is the type of player that can put a team on his back and single handedly win the game.
3. i was so impressed, pleased to see only 10 turnovers against baylor. i had said 11 or fewer and we win, 16 or more and we lose. if we had had 16 turnovers against baylor, indeed we would have lost.
4. free throws, will the 80% team show up?

i have four predictions
1. we start out slow as usual (and hope we do, only loss of the year is only game we came out hot). we withstand the pressure of a hostile crowd, but home cooking will give osu and extra 4 points
2. smart has a good game, but he does not beat us. in fact we clamp down on the others and make smart beat us
3. we do not do as well as in the baylor game but we are not sloppy, 12-14 turnovers
4. we are agressive with the right players, harris, olynyk, bell, and we shoot better than 70%.

score prediction, overtime and first team to score twice in a row will be the winner.

Nevtelen
12-30-2012, 07:02 PM
I'd love to predict a big fat W, but, being realistic, I just don't see it.

On a neutral court, I think we beat OSU by 6-10 pts. As a true road game, only a couple days after the big Baylor win, I hate to say it, but I think we lose by around 4-10ish. I think it'll be a close game, but the reverse of the Baylor game. We'll start strong, get a decent lead, give it up around halftime, and battle back in the 2nd but not ever quite get over the hump and manage a lead. Pangos' 3s won't fall on the road (sorry to say, but objective reality so far agrees with me thus far in his career), and GBJ will be so tired from defending their guards that we can't stop the drive or get much scoring from the backcourt. The frontcourt will look awesome, but won't quite compensate enough.

Baldwinzag
12-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Okie St with 9 days to prepare for us -- help or hurt? any chance they'll be rusty, perhaps? (doubt it)

I think we'll need all we can get given their explosive, talented, and unbelievably strong set of guards.

All signs pointing to Pangos, Bell, Dranginis, GLE, Stocks getting pwned this game. How do they match-up vs NBA backcourt? Gulp...

The Baylor win was terrific, no doubt, yet coming off that type of game will either cause us to 1. play flat/deflated or 2. crisp/inspired. Hoping for the latter, yet again, if the past is any indiction, the former is more probable.

I just don't like this game. Excited, yes, but the type of team I'd cringe to see in March. Only 2 maybe 3 teams scare me more than Okie St, from what I've seen from them.

Not our cup of tee, from both a Coaching & defensive standpoint. Just look as far as Illinois. an electrifying trio of guards who can score and penetrate with the very best brings out our very worst.

I've stated since September this would the game we'll most likely want to forget about, yet also the game could help us come March more than any other...

In some ways, its a make or break game for an entire seeding line, considering we've only faced one ranked team and lost...the committee can't help but look at these type of stats, even in the face of SOS, RPI, or playing one of the tougher OOC slates around.

Unfortunately, I predicted we'd lose to Illinois and clean up vs K-State & Baylor. I hope I'm wrong about this game, yet just don't see how our guards can contain theirs nor create their own shot or even open look. IF our bigs take control, play composed, and hunt their shots, we have a chance. KO, E, Karnowski especially, all need big games, yet again, at least two will probably foul out from helping vs Okie St's dribble-drive offense -- they get to the rim at will.

Not to mention they ranked in the Top-5 effective defensively and Top-40 in every other defensive stat, including Points Against.

I'd rather play Duke than Okie St come March and I'm not joking...all about Match-ups and this couldn't be a worse one, imho.

Hoopaholic
12-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Extended 2-3 matchup zone and contain dribble penetration is what I predict we will play. If we contain the bounce, limit our turnovers and our bigs play good with starting guards each get 10-12 points we win

ZagLawGrad
12-30-2012, 07:34 PM
A lot of doom on this thread. OSU will be tough at home, but their schedule to date confirms that they haven't run into a team the calibre of the Zags.

It will be a great test for us after a pretty good run so far. Go Zags!

Zagdawg
12-30-2012, 08:04 PM
This game would be much tougher come March.

They have 3 freshman and 1 sophomore getting the majority of the minutes on their team and as Lawgrad states --they have had a pretty nice schedule so far when compared to what we have faced.

I like our chances with the experience and our bigs--our guards have an opportunity to shine against some solid competition.

We should probably lose this game.......but fortunately that's why they play the game.

ZagNative
12-30-2012, 08:07 PM
NewsOK game preview (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-state-mens-basketball-game-vs.-gonzaga-brings-spotlight-to-gallagher-iba-arena/article/3741850/?page=1):
Oklahoma State men's basketball: Game vs. Gonzaga brings spotlight to Gallagher-Iba Arena
Zags offer a test that will tell Cowboys where they stand.

By John Helsley | Published: December 30, 2012

Accurately sizing up the stakes of Oklahoma State's clash with Gonzaga proves difficult.

Much-anticipated game, for sure.

But …

Statement game?

Defining game?

“I think we've already proven that we're an OK basketball team,” said Cowboys coach Travis Ford. “It's more of trying to beat a really good basketball team. We're not bad. And I think they're great.

“So I don't look at it as a statement game, I look at it as an opportunity to play one of the best teams in the country and see where we're at.”

Ford offers necessary perspective amid the natural temptation to be overly dramatic with the biggest non-conference game inside Gallagher-Iba Arena in decades.

It's a big game, matching two Top 25 teams, yet hardly the most important game in the Cowboys' season, with Big 12 play on deck.

Still, the spotlight is on. And the national media, the fans and, yes, the players know it.

So the spotlight's at stake, for sure.

And more.

Leave it to a freshman to offer perhaps the best take:

“Over the past couple of years, Oklahoma State basketball has been down the drain,” said Cowboys point guard Marcus Smart. “This is a game that can really establish things.”

Establish legitimacy — to outsiders and a fan base apparently needing reason to hop on the bandwagon.

Establish confidence.

Establish momentum.

“It'll be a big game for us, a statement game, and one to prepare us going into the Big 12,” said OSU forward Michael Cobbins.

“It'll be a great test for our team, to see where we're at and how the rest of our season could go.”
“I've enjoyed watching them on film,” Ford said. “They pass the ball extremely well. They play aggressive defense. They've got incredible size. Not a lot of weaknesses on this basketball team.

“They're a team that come March, don't be surprised if they're in the Final Four. Don't be surprised at all. They're that good.”

At this point, despite early wins over Tennessee and then-No. 6 North Carolina State, we don't yet know how good are the Cowboys. Or how good they can become.

A recent five-game run of routs over forgettable foes has left us all seeking another checkpoint.

“I hate games like that, six games where you're just coasting,” said Cowboys forward Le'Bryan Nash. “But it was good for us. It's good to get wins. And now we're ready.

“And my team looks ready.”
“Gonzaga's a great team,” Smart said. “They're great enough to play in the Big 12 — they've got the size they physicality, everything. So this could be a great launching pad for us to get ready for the Big 12. This is preparing us for the Big 12, this game right here.

“And this is a big opportunity for us to show that OSU basketball is back. I can't wait.”

ZagLawGrad
12-30-2012, 08:08 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/dec/30/zags-challenge/

...Gonzaga is the first ranked nonconference opponent to visit Stillwater in 23 years.

Sounds like Romar's scheduling philosophy.

ZagNative
12-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Pithy tweets:
Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla

Transition D, post D, perimeter D! :)

RT @AntonioJaggers: @franfraschilla what does ok state need to do to beat Gonzaga
Bradley Hope ‏@Brad_Hope

@franfraschilla Is there any truth to the rumor that Gonzaga will be the 2 seed in the Big 12 Tourney with a win at Stillwater.
Retweeted by Fran Fraschilla :o

stevet75
12-30-2012, 08:42 PM
IMHO the Zags are a better team. Oklahoma State is at home and the Zags are doing a quick turn around from a highly emotional game, however, my gut tells me the Zags pull this one out and win a close one.
78 - 72

combatcorpsmangulaw
12-30-2012, 09:01 PM
the "away" game was in a Tournament. I think Zags have been tested on the road -- Oklahoma has won at home basically.

They haven't played a team like the Zags this pre-season -- Oklahoma State only thinks it has.

Zags win.

gamagin
12-30-2012, 11:28 PM
A lot of doom on this thread. OSU will be tough at home, but their schedule to date confirms that they haven't run into a team the calibre of the Zags.

It will be a great test for us after a pretty good run so far. Go Zags!

I agree with the coach. This is a test for them to see how good they are against a ranked team.. I feel it's a good test for us, too, but it's more of a mid term, a test of our plan and continued development w/ our guards vs. theirs, for e.g., and another gut check for everyone.

I like our chances. I think we're looking better each game and hope we keep improving going into league play.

Few mentioned on his t.v. show tonight that we have four big games in 11 days -- the last 3 being important league games: at pepp on Jan. 3; at santa clara on Jan. 5th; before the Zags return home to beat st. mary's on Jan. 10.

The Zags will fly direct to Ca from the Oklahoma game to prep for the start of the WCC season.

RenoZag
12-31-2012, 07:38 AM
Harris & Olynyk will be the key; if they can stay out of foul trouble and rack up the boards & points, then Zags will be able to compete at Gallagher-Iba. . .

Gotta make the free throws today.

Looking forward to a great game

cjm720
12-31-2012, 08:10 AM
Close game, too close to call. Overall, we're better but on the road in a sold out arena will be a challenge.

Pangos is the key (I will say that every game).

rennis
12-31-2012, 08:11 AM
Can't win 'em all.

OSU - 79
GU - 73

ZagLawGrad
12-31-2012, 08:26 AM
...Gotta make the free throws today....

Just when I was feeling good about this game, you had to go and bring up the FT's.....:eek:

Zags better hit 'em this game.

bballbeachbum
12-31-2012, 08:35 AM
this is a tough one I think. Stillwater is a crazy place to play.

But the Zags know they can play with the Big10 boys, have proven it to themselves. Now they can take that hard earned self-belief on the road into a hostile gym and see what that equates to for them.

a slow start could be an early dagger that lets the crowd into it whereas a quick start will spread fear into that gym. Zags are due for a quick start but who knows?

rennis
12-31-2012, 08:38 AM
After Illinois, I'm not a fan of quick starts anymore.

bartruff1
12-31-2012, 08:54 AM
this is a tough one I think. Stillwater is a crazy place to play.

But the Zags know they can play with the Big10 boys, have proven it to themselves. Now they can take that hard earned self-belief on the road into a hostile gym and see what that equates to for them.

a slow start could be an early dagger that lets the crowd into it whereas a quick start will spread fear into that gym. Zags are due for a quick start but who knows? I love to watch these games against good teams in hostile environments... you find out who can play....who wants to play.. I would not be surprised to see Sam do his thing on offense...

75Zag
12-31-2012, 09:08 AM
If I was betting this game, which I am not, I would go with OK State at a 6 point win. If GU wins big I will be pleasantly surprised. If GU can just squeek by with a win I will be happy.

Go Bulldogs!

bballbeachbum
12-31-2012, 09:21 AM
After Illinois, I'm not a fan of quick starts anymore.

I hear you. Maybe the Zags could start slow on the road at Stillwater and still comeback and still have the self-belief to get it done. Hopefully also a lesson was learned about starting quick in the Illinois game...it doesn't mean a W.

I love these hostile gym games too bart :)

FlyZag
12-31-2012, 09:34 AM
the "away" game was in a Tournament. I think Zags have been tested on the road -- Oklahoma has won at home basically.

They haven't played a team like the Zags this pre-season -- Oklahoma State only thinks it has.

Zags win.

Incorrect.

Their away game was a loss @ Virginia Tech. Their best wins were neutral games against NC State and Tennessee.

ZagLawGrad
12-31-2012, 09:45 AM
... Their best wins were neutral games against NC State and Tennessee.

And those were far from being wins against upper tier teams.

If I read it correctly, half the teams OSU has played have losing records. And a chunk of those are teams like Romar would schedule at home.

It doesn't look to me like OSU has had a real test. Hope we lay the shock factor on them.

GeorgiaZagFan
12-31-2012, 10:14 AM
...will Pangos drop the Jekyl & Hyde act (home vs road)
AND will Edi and Dower get out of their funks and make our depth a real positive. If they play well off the bench then we win by double-digits ..if not we lose a close one.
In the Illinois loss, Dower and Edi combined for 16 minutes, 4points, 3 rebounds and 4 TO's.
In the win against Baylor, Dower and Edi combined for 36 minutes, 9 points on 3of6 shooting, 10 rebounds and only 3 TO's.

Don't know what was ailing Dower but in the WSU and Illinois games he only played 12 minutes with 2 points, 2 rebounds and 2 TO's
In the last 2 games against KSU and Baylor he has played 45 minutes with 13 points on 5of10 shooting, 7 rebounds and only 2 TO's.

Hopefully he's fully recovered and ready to be a consistent force off the bench.

ZagLawGrad
12-31-2012, 10:19 AM
...will Pangos drop the Jekyl & Hyde act (home vs road)
AND will Edi and Dower get out of their funks and make our depth a real positive. If they play well off the bench then we win by double-digits ..if not we lose a close one.
In the Illinois loss, Dower and Edi combined for 16 minutes, 4points, 3 rebounds and 4 TO's.
In the win against Baylor, Dower and Edi combined for 36 minutes, 9 points on 3of6 shooting, 10 rebounds and only 3 TO's.

Don't know what was ailing Dower but in the WSU and Illinois games he only played 12 minutes with 2 points, 2 rebounds and 2 TO's
In the last 2 games against KSU and Baylor he has played 45 minutes with 13 points on 5of10 shooting, 7 rebounds and only 2 TO's.

Hopefully he's fully recovered and ready to be a consistent force off the bench.

:agreed:

Reborn
12-31-2012, 10:34 AM
I think this will be the toughest game that Oklahoma has had. They did beat NC State badly, and NC State's said they played their worst game of the year by far. I don't believe they will have seen post players like GU has. I think if the Zags get them in foul trouble they may have problems. From what I see, in Ok State's tougher games they only play 6 or 7 players over 10 min.

I'm curious to see if Few will use a zone defense today. It's one way to slow down penetrating guards, and from what I see, Ok State is not the best 3 pt shooting team we have faced.

I'm not worried about the crowd. The boys have seen plenty of huge crowds over the years. I'm not worried about the Cowboys record in Iba because they haven't played anyone the caliber of GU in those wins. I'd like to know who they played in those 4 losses. I think if GU sticks to the game plan, is patient, isn't forcing things that they will be ok. I'm really excited for this game.

Gin N GUice
12-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Time to strap one on! :) Gu 72 Ok St 67

titopoet
12-31-2012, 11:06 AM
No ones mentioned the Few-Smart relationship. Few coached Smart in the Summer and knows his game. Does that give Bell an advantage as I am sure Few knows more of Smart's weakness, things like what side to push him and what are some of his tendencies and how to play to them. Having him for the summer, I am sure Few knows more than a coach see him on film. He had him on a day to day basis. I think that plays out and we surprise the nation and limit Smart.

By they way quite the whining about out guards. They are very good. They had, like the rest of the team, a weak outing against Illinois, but I know most coaches would really want Bell and Pangos as their backcourt.

bostonzagfan
12-31-2012, 11:08 AM
we are ranked about 10 spots higher than them...

BULLDOG#1
12-31-2012, 11:42 AM
In reading all the pre-game media, very little, if any, mention is being given to Harris... and he's pretty much the best player playing in this game.

I doubt the cowboys are overlooking him... if would be doomsday for them if they did.

Mantua
12-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Zag depth and Zag bigs could win this for us. OSU will have to stretch their defense, while our defense will need to especially concentrate on three OSU stars. I hate to even think it, but foul trouble could be a huge factor in this game.

ZagLawGrad
12-31-2012, 11:49 AM
No ones mentioned the Few-Smart relationship. Few coached Smart in the Summer and knows his game. Does that give Bell an advantage as I am sure Few knows more of Smart's weakness, things like what side to push him and what are some of his tendencies and how to play to them. Having him for the summer, I am sure Few knows more than a coach see him on film. He had him on a day to day basis. I think that plays out and we surprise the nation and limit Smart...

Good point, I gotta believe Few has an advantage having coached Smart.

ZagNative
12-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Mike Decourcy (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-12-30/indiana-iowa-marcus-smart-olahoma-state-gonzaga)

Matchup to watch

Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State, vs. the Gonzaga zone, 6 p.m. Tuesday, ESPN2. Smart has had a transformational effect on the entire Cowboys program. They’re winning tough games as a result of his toughness and competitive drive. There is likely to be a frenzied New Year’s Eve atmosphere at Gallagher-Iba Arena. But he has not shot the ball well, and that’s usually something that comes in handy against a zone. The Zags’ defense is rated No. 33 in efficiency at KenPom.com. Opponents shoot only 39.1 percent from the field, largely because of the length and movement of center Kelly Olynyk and forward Elias Harris.

Zag4Hire
12-31-2012, 11:59 AM
I like GU's chances here of grabbing a legitimate resume building win:

* Although there are concerns with the FT shooting, the Pokes definitely seem like getting some early fouls on a few of their players could throw off their rhythm. For GU, I have quite a bit of confidence in the bench options: The Dude, KD, Sammy Baby, Stocks, etc. Looking at the Pokes, they have a well-defined rotation that play with 3 over 32 MPG.

* I think Zags will cash in on the break away points in similar fashion to the Baylor game.

* I am hoping the Zags can minimize any runs by trying to get easy buckets. Nothing frustrates me more when the opponent goes on a run and GU tries to hoist up contested jumpers or ill-advised three balls. Plus it would help to keep the raucus crowd quiet.

I see the Pokes listed as the chalk by 3 but I am not seeing it.

Zags 79
Pokes 73

zagzilla
12-31-2012, 12:04 PM
I look at this game a lot like Illinois. Whichever team imposes their will on the game wins. If they are able to get their guards going and deny our feeds to the post, as Illinois did, then they win. If we get inside and shoot high percentage shots and inflict foul pressure we will prevail. Our guards can't settle for jump shots and get turned over. Bigs have to rebound and limit second chance points while finishing strong at the rim. OSU can swat it as well as anybody.

Not too worried about the crowd. Zags have had a lot of poise in hostile environments.

This game is a coin flip. Should be exciting.

I will be either drinking to celebrate victory tonight our drown my soorow. Hopefully the former vs. the latter.

Go Zags!

ZZ

ZagNative
12-31-2012, 12:04 PM
http://nbaprospects.blogspot.com/2012/12/new-years-eve-preview.html
Gonzaga at Oklahoma State 6pm ESPN2

Gonzaga has had well documented problems this year keeping explosive guards in front of them. Marcus Smart is a explosive guard who knows how to score. He has cooled off a bit after a lightning hot start to the season and this is a chance for him to keep his name on the forefront of scouts minds. Another big matchup here is how LeBryan Nash handles Elias Harris' defense. Actually, this is a REALLY interesting battle. Nash isn't going to be able to bully Harris or blow by him easily. How will Nash adjust? Nash won't be expected to score all over him, but will he at least recognize this and play smart? Last year he struggled with forcing things. This year he has been better, but that is because he hasn't faced anyone like Harris. Harris, by the way, has played himself back into NBA Draft conversations. Oklahoma State is the favorite in this game - but I'll take the underdogs in a close one.

titopoet
12-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Mike Decourcy (http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-12-30/indiana-iowa-marcus-smart-olahoma-state-gonzaga)

Someone should mention to Decourcy that GU is primarily a man to man team. I expect a little zone, but mostly man.

GrizZAG
12-31-2012, 01:14 PM
I thought Baylor was a great litmus test for this team. We all had doubts going in and this team proved that they do have "it" IMO. This team can go a long ways and OS is not the toughest test we will see come March. I am a believer. A lot is going to depend on whether the shots are falling for us. Against Baylor..they did. Keep it going Zags!

bartruff1
12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
Well...I suppose if Pangos goes for 30 and Gonzaga shoots 66% in the second half they will win....that would be fun...

combatcorpsmangulaw
12-31-2012, 02:06 PM
With a Freshman running the Oklahoma State team on the floor, I would like to see us press them the entire game. Whether full court or half court, I don't care. But putting high pressure on Marcus Smart right from the start will give him more to think about than merely sprinting up the court unmolested.

Stockton, Edi, Pangos, Bell et al give the Zags a formidable group of fast/quick players that can harass Oklahoma State's guards right from the back court. I think pressure, pressure, pressure defense would be a decent strategy to keep Oklahoma State off balance.

However, I have never coached a Division One basketball team playing in front of thousands of fans --- opposing in this case. So, I may be wrong in advocating that strategy. It just makes sense to me.

DADoZAG
12-31-2012, 02:20 PM
With a Freshman running the Oklahoma State team on the floor, I would like to see us press them the entire game. Whether full court or half court, I don't care. But putting high pressure on Marcus Smart right from the start will give him more to think about than merely sprinting up the court unmolested.

Stockton, Edi, Pangos, Bell et al give the Zags a formidable group of fast/quick players that can harass Oklahoma State's guards right from the back court. I think pressure, pressure, pressure defense would be a decent strategy to keep Oklahoma State off balance.

However, I have never coached a Division One basketball team playing in front of thousands of fans --- opposing in this case. So, I may be wrong in advocating that strategy. It just makes sense to me.

I've been a kool-aid drinker all along, so we might both be way off, but to some extent, I agree. Press and run, press and run…

Smart might be good enough to handle the press most of the time on his own, but I think the ZAGS need to do everything they can to get some fatigue in the legs of OSU.

Looking at stats and stats alone, OSU drops off quick once they get past their top six. They also haven’t played a game for nine days.

I'd press on D and run of offense. Don’t force the paint because OSU will be collapsing. ZAGS did much better in not forcing play underneath against Baylor, but took what was there and kicked the ball out when it wasn’t.

It will help if Harris starts playing right at the tip, instead of waiting until the second half like he did against Baylor. Chalk it up to travel fatigue for both E and PK, cuase both of them were sleep walking the first half (might be why PK only got a minute or two in the second half).

If staff has as good a game today as they did Friday, ZAGS by 10-12. If not, it will be very close...

Like I said, I’ve been drinking the kool-aid…

Go ZAGS!