PDA

View Full Version : Future Zags playing today

BobZag
12-29-2012, 09:32 AM
If you'd like to see the 7' Kalispell kid Edwards, Glacier Peak High School plays Coeur 'd Alene High School at North Idaho College, scheduled to tip off at 5:30 tonight (Saturday).

If you'd like to see the 6'8" Tacoma kid Meikle, Bellarmine Prep plays Gonzaga Prep at Gonzaga Prep, scheduled to tip off at 2:00 today. [I THINK it is being played at Gonzaga Prep.]

gprep78
12-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Meikle and Bellarmine Prep take on GPrep at GPrep, game time is 6pm.

Section 116
12-29-2012, 10:35 AM
The Bellermine Prep team was at the GU-Baylor game last evening. I did not know they were playing at G-Prep today. I wondered why they were in the house!

zagfan1970
12-29-2012, 01:41 PM
somebody posted the Glacier -CDA game had been canceled?

zagfan1970
12-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Meikle and Bellarmine Prep take on GPrep at GPrep, game time is 6pm.

THe Spokesman has the game at 2pm?

jbslicer
12-29-2012, 02:03 PM
6pm @ Prep is correct time .

FlyZag
12-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Meikle = 2pts

hooter73
12-29-2012, 07:10 PM
So Angel in 2013 and Pope in 2014 huh?

sittingon50
12-29-2012, 07:35 PM
:roll:

Zag 77
12-29-2012, 07:47 PM
A bit anti-climactic. I had expected more.

hooter73
12-29-2012, 07:54 PM
I have all the confidence in the world in the coaches and history says they know what they're doing, but a top 10 team recruits a kid that scores 2 points against any team, no matter where they finish in the GSL... yeah.

thespywhozaggedme
12-29-2012, 08:09 PM
I have all the confidence in the world in the coaches and history says they know what they're doing, but a top 10 team recruits a kid that scores 2 points against any team, no matter where they finish in the GSL... yeah.

Larry G, the kid from Portland, Maine, Mammary Glands Diallo, Andy Polig, etc. Point is, for every "hit" there have been almost as many misses.

Vizagra
12-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Meikle was horrible. Soft, got pushed around, and out played by shorter players, somewhat of an awkward shot, ok hands, lanky, not an exceptionally quick jumper, but seemed like he could get up. He did have decent handles for 6-9 though.

In my unprofessional opinion, he will follow in Andy Polings footsteps, unless some drastic improvement happens. Not a D-1 player in my eyes.

maynard g krebs
12-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Meikle was horrible. Soft, got pushed around, and out played by shorter players, somewhat of an awkward shot, ok hands, lanky, not an exceptionally quick jumper, but seemed like he could get up. He did have decent handles for 6-9 though.

In my unprofessional opinion, he will follow in Andy Polings footsteps, unless some drastic improvement happens. Not a D-1 player in my eyes.

Saw B Prep for a quarter at the state tourney (left after the first, been there all day). At the time I said maybe Big Sky level.

Coaches must see something we don't. Five years ago Damian Lillard was a Big Sky recruit, so you never know.

webspinnre
12-29-2012, 09:33 PM
To be fair to Andy, he had a rare illness, which really sapped him of strength.

CDC84
12-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Meikle was brought in because he is a Pacific NW kid who was dying to be a Zag and who is a great guy to have as the 12th or 13th guy on your roster. There has been a concerted effort on the staff's part to get guys at these scholarship positions who are local kids instead of bringing in guys from outside the local area or overseas. The local kids are more likely to stay and be a positive influence even if they don't see the floor much. The program has seen too much transferring in recent times. It needs some locals guys who will stick around regardless of PT issues....because 12th or 13th scholarship players are generally not going to see a ton of PT unless they develop as upperclassmen.

ZagZombie
12-30-2012, 04:17 AM
Meikle might be one of those diamond in the rough type players sure. But what other top 25 nationally ranked powerhouse program has such an underwhelming 2013 class?

All I have to say is 2014 better be a huge recruiting year, with all the names listed http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/2250/class/2014/page/considering Otherwise we will always just be really good but not great

thespywhozaggedme
12-30-2012, 05:35 AM
Meikle was brought in because he is a Pacific NW kid who was dying to be a Zag and who is a great guy to have as the 12th or 13th guy on your roster. There has been a concerted effort on the staff's part to get guys at these scholarship positions who are local kids instead of bringing in guys from outside the local area or overseas. The local kids are more likely to stay and be a positive influence even if they don't see the floor much. The program has seen too much transferring in recent times. It needs some locals guys who will stick around regardless of PT issues....because 12th or 13th scholarship players are generally not going to see a ton of PT unless they develop as upperclassmen.

So was Hermanson and Joe Harris, but unlike Meikle, those guys can play D1A ball.

jazzdelmar
12-30-2012, 05:39 AM

all due respect, this makes no sense and if it is the strategy it should be reconsidered. point is, all teams miss on kids, even the blue bloods. this seems to have all the potential for such a case. hope not.

BroncoZAG615
12-30-2012, 07:37 AM
So was Hermanson and Joe Harris, but unlike Meikle, those guys can play D1A ball.

I think the point is the portion just past what you bolded that Meikle comes in expecting to wear warm ups for a majority of his career as a 12th or 13th man.

Hermanson and Harris are probably too skilled to be content with being that type of player.

I still have a hard time understanding why a scholarship was given to Meikle if this is the intention when the staff has had a nice track record of finding solid walk-ons to fill the last seats on the bench. I'm happy for Meikle and that he is close to realizing one of his goals in life but this whole thing just seems strange.

I've said this before but the 2013 class has really put a lot of pressure on this staff knocking it out of the park in 2014. Getting Coleman and Nunez helps quite a bit but GU still needs one (probably two) bigs in the 2014 class that can come in right away and contribute. I am really, really, really hoping that those two are Brekkott Chapman and Malik Pope.

thespywhozaggedme
12-30-2012, 08:09 AM
I think the point is the portion just past what you bolded that Meikle comes in expecting to wear warm ups for a majority of his career as a 12th or 13th man.

Hermanson and Harris are probably too skilled to be content with being that type of player.

I still have a hard time understanding why a scholarship was given to Meikle if this is the intention when the staff has had a nice track record of finding solid walk-ons to fill the last seats on the bench. I'm happy for Meikle and that he is close to realizing one of his goals in life but this whole thing just seems strange.

I've said this before but the 2013 class has really put a lot of pressure on this staff knocking it out of the park in 2014. Getting Coleman and Nunez helps quite a bit but GU still needs one (probably two) bigs in the 2014 class that can come in right away and contribute. I am really, really, really hoping that those two are Brekkott Chapman and Malik Pope.

Good point. Why wasn't he offered a "preferred walk on" like Hart and given the opportunity to earn a scholly?

kyle dixon
12-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Best of luck the rest of your senior years Luke and Ryan. Look forward to your arrival in 2013.

bigblahla
12-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Meikle is 6'8" tall and he scores just 2 points against G-prep. A line like that says he was sick or seriously soft.

Makes me scratch my head and wonder why?

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

BobZag
12-30-2012, 09:49 AM
projects

CDC84
12-30-2012, 10:38 AM
So did anyone see Edwards?

That's a guy worth giving a schoolie to. You can't teach someone to be a 7 footer. If the kid loves the game, he is almost guaranteed to be a contributor at some point in his career.

cggonzaga
12-30-2012, 11:20 AM

Aren't there like 300 kids like this in the PNW? If this is the thought process from now on at least the past 13 years have been fun! Wish I still had HS eligibility left.

sittingon50
12-30-2012, 11:41 AM
please stand up?

"It rubs the lotion on it's skin."

hooter73
12-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Any word on Edwards?

BobZag
12-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Any word on Edwards?

Near as I can tell he DNP.

gamagin
12-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Good point. Why wasn't he offered a "preferred walk on" like Hart and given the opportunity to earn a scholly?

might be pedigree. They like "something" about him. Not just height.

My guess is he signs on for the whole development program, or he goes elsewhere.

BobZag
12-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Prefer real good transfers over .

HenneZag
12-30-2012, 02:33 PM
He was @ the Baylor game. I saw him on the TV when harris got the and 1 fall in the second half. He looked pretty pumped.

Im excited to see how Edwards develops...local guy, grew up a ZAG fan, 7 footer, and we know he has been busting his tail to get in shape.

Its just tough because there is not alot to go off of as far as how he is improving as a player being from Montana and all.

btzag
12-30-2012, 06:35 PM
I dunno, maybe a little early to crush the kid for a bad game? Holy crap, he could have had the flu or twisted an ankle in warmups or ??

Up to this game he was averaging 15.5 pts a game for a team that averages around 45 total and so far we have had zero reports from anyone on this board about how he looks in person, so based on hundreds of us looking at the boxscore that says "Meikle - 2" and the eyewitness report of 1 or 2 members we are ready to bury the kid? Let him develop his senior year, take a redshirt while working with the coaches and then see how he works out....and remember that is a LONG time away.

Zagcity
12-31-2012, 06:00 AM
Prolly right btzag, Few and company have recently been on a recruiting roll lately with those that have signed. That star will shine bright I have no doubts. :agreed:

Angelo Roncalli
12-31-2012, 06:03 AM
please stand up?

"It rubs the lotion on it's skin."

+1

cjm720
12-31-2012, 06:49 AM
I dunno, maybe a little early to crush the kid for a bad game? Holy crap, he could have had the flu or twisted an ankle in warmups or ??

Up to this game he was averaging 15.5 pts a game for a team that averages around 45 total and so far we have had zero reports from anyone on this board about how he looks in person, so based on hundreds of us looking at the boxscore that says "Meikle - 2" and the eyewitness report of 1 or 2 members we are ready to bury the kid? Let him develop his senior year, take a redshirt while working with the coaches and then see how he works out....and remember that is a LONG time away.

+1. Let's revisit this in two or three years.

Rangerzag
01-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Maybe this report from yesterday's News Tribune (http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/01/05/2424569/bellarmine-prep-mount-tahoma.html) will allow some to feel more encouraged about Lucas' recruitment.

“This was so nice ... long overdue,” said Gonzaga recruit Lucas Meikle, who scored a team-high 19 points to go along with his eight rebounds and five blocks.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/01/05/2424569/bellarmine-prep-mount-tahoma.html#storylink=cpy

“We didn’t have our full team for the first five weeks,” Bellarmine coach Bernie Salazar said. “We’ve had very few practices with us all together. I can count them on one hand. So it’s just going to take time.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/01/05/2424569/bellarmine-prep-mount-tahoma.html#storylink=cpy

Mix in the fact the team played a majority of it without players who were still recovering from the football team’s run to the Class 4A state championship game ..........

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/01/05/2424569/bellarmine-prep-mount-tahoma.html