PDA

View Full Version : K.O. vs Isaiah Austin

GodZaga76
12-27-2012, 09:54 PM
It could just be me but I really think we are about to see Kelly put on a clinic against Austin and show the freshman what a another 7 footer with a few years on him can do. I also think this will show the nation how much K.O. has improved and can play against someone his height to.

upan8th
12-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Well, I don't think so. All coach Drew has to tell Austin is, "Don't jump 'til he jumps." A 30" vertical should trump a 15" vertical every time. I don't see KO's patented up and under move succeeding more than once. An interesting challenge for both players. Be good if Kelly can bait Austin into some foolish fouls after the Frosh fails to heed his coach's advice.

ZagsGoZags
12-27-2012, 10:50 PM
I think a physical game with Austin is the way to go
he is skinnier than Austin Daye was, and not as strong (or should I say more weak). Physical games kept Daye at bay in the paint sometimes, and forced him into facing the basket most of the time. That is not Baylor's Austin who likes to play with his back to the basket as well as having a good outside shot.
A consistently high tempo game will tax Austin's endurance, IMHO

Ekrub
12-27-2012, 11:37 PM
It could just be me but I really think we are about to see Kelly put on a clinic against Austin and show the freshman what a another 7 footer with a few years on him can do. I also think this will show the nation how much K.O. has improved and can play against someone his height to.

While I'd like to see that happen, Sacre got schooled by freshman seven footer Meyers Leonard last year. Hope it doesn't happen to KO this year.

Baseline
12-28-2012, 05:01 AM
Use Karno and Kelly to tire Austin. When Karno is in he should be hanging on Austin to wear him down. Fews instructions should be to be physical as possible without fouls. By game end he should be dragging.

bostonzagfan
12-28-2012, 05:23 AM
Use Karno and Kelly to tire Austin. When Karno is in he should be hanging on Austin to wear him down. Fews instructions should be to be physical as possible without fouls. By game end he should be dragging.

great post... +1

thespywhozaggedme
12-28-2012, 06:20 AM
While I'd like to see that happen, Sacre got schooled by freshman seven footer Meyers Leonard last year. Hope it doesn't happen to KO this year.

Leonard was a sophomore last year.

tobizag
12-28-2012, 06:37 AM
i'll bet our size advantage is negated by a run of offensive fouls on our big men at some point in the game.

Reborn
12-28-2012, 06:50 AM
This should be a really fun matchup. Austin was the #1 player coming out of high school last year. He averages about 14 ppg. and almost 9 rebounds a game. He is not a good free throw shooter, so it may not be a bad idea to put him on the line. He only shoots 39%. Kelly shoots a little better, especially from the foul line where he leads the Zags at 80%. Kelly averages 14 and a half ppg. I feel that Kelly will get the better of Austin, but not by much. The challenge for both teams will be to keep these two guys below their season averages.

JPtheBeasta
12-28-2012, 07:24 AM

That was a fun matchup to watch. I think KO has better lateral movement and better use of both hands. He also will put the ball on the floor if needed. Quite a different kind of player, IMO.

rennis
12-28-2012, 07:26 AM
Austin, outside of a few alley-oops that were easily preventable, played terribly against BYU IMO, and we should be much more formiddable in the paint on the whole.

Brandon Davies had a field day against Baylor and visibly frustrated poor waify Austin. I am not the least bit worried about our bigs in this game, it's the guards who need to shine brightest.

ZAGGED OUT
12-28-2012, 07:41 AM
Austin is still very unproven at this point. He hasn't played in real competition in terms of true bigs. In games that he has scored 15+, the opponents combined record is 16-17. Against Northwestern when he faced a big (7' 275lb freshman Olah) similar to what he will see tonight and put up 8pts and 4 boards while giving up 10, 6, and 6. I think this will be Austin's first true test inside and I'm looking for Few to exploit that.

bartruff1
12-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Austin, outside of a few alley-oops that were easily preventable, played terribly against BYU IMO, and we should be much more formiddable in the paint on the whole.

Brandon Davies had a field day against Baylor and visibly frustrated poor waify Austin. I am not the least bit worried about our bigs in this game, it's the guards who need to shine brightest.

BYU has no chemistry, Gonzaga does. The Chief Chemist is Kevin, he is the reason we are 11-1 and having the best start in nearly 50 years.

Our guards are solid and smart and without ego.

I know Few is not as skilled as some in here, but he is mixing and matching as well as any of his peers.

Kelly is a force....Harris is playing his best...Gary is one of the best all around players we have had here period...

I think the spread is way high at 8 or 9 but if the kids can execute, they win a very entertaing game...I know we won't be out coached.

Zagpower
12-28-2012, 09:23 AM
If nothing else is working, step on his feet. It may be an optical illusion due to the bright yellow sneakers, but he appears to be sporting Size 25 kicks.

IrishZagFan
12-28-2012, 09:38 AM
If nothing else is working, step on his feet. It may be an optical illusion due to the bright yellow sneakers, but he appears to be sporting Size 25 kicks.

Takes a good foundation to hold up something that big.....

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/254/924/20120325_lbm_ss1_018_display_image.jpg?1339112702

Zagpower
12-28-2012, 10:03 AM
They look proportional in that picture. Appeared bigger on tv.

hooter73
12-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Austin will get his points when Dower come in.

sorry but its true.