PDA

View Full Version : Stalwick: "Olynyk emerging as needed big man for Gonzaga"

ZagNative
12-26-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm glad Howie Stalwick gets the occasional piece in the Kitsap Sun (http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2012/dec/26/olynyk-emerging-as-needed-big-man-for-gonzaga/#axzz2GDEnl3qF), like this one today about Kelly:

SPOKANE Kelly Olynyk emerges from the underbelly of the McCarthey Athletic Center all 7 feet and 238 pounds of him and it is difficult to imagine that he once played basketball as if he was the world's tallest guard.

When most of the basketball world last laid eyes on Olynyk prior to last month, he was often skittering about the perimeter, content to fire jump shots over defenders he dwarfed.

Mark Few has always admired Olynyk's shooting skills. It's one of the reasons Gonzaga, Syracuse, North Carolina State and countless other schools recruited Olynyk out of the basketball hinterlands of Kamloops, British Columbia.

Few is no math major, but he quickly figured out that a 7-foot player can make a heck of a lot more shots from, say, 10 feet away from the basket than from 20 feet away.

When Olynyk returned to action this season after redshirting a year ago, he came back a stronger, more physical player ready and willing to work closer to the basket. As a result, the junior forward came into the week ranked second in the nation in field-goal shooting percentage at 67.1.

Read more: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2012/dec/26/olynyk-emerging-as-needed-big-man-for-gonzaga/#ixzz2GDHP5gPJ

In his first two college seasons, Olynyk launched 3-pointers on nearly one-fourth of his field-goal attempts (46 of 227). He hit a respectable 35.6 percent of his 3-pointers, but he sank 58.8 percent of his other shots.

This season, only 7 of Olynyk's 79 shots have been shot from 3-point range, and he's made just one. He's second on the Bulldogs behind senior forward Elias Harris in scoring (14.6) and rebounding (6.6), even though he plays just 24 minutes a game and starts part-time on the uncommonly deep and well-balanced Bulldogs.

"Olynyk is tremendous," Harris said. "He's a 'footer' (7-footer) who has a really good feel for the game."
"My confidence has grown. The national team has been huge for me. A multitude of things just kind of fell into place."

Olynyk has played for Canada's senior and junior national teams, and he joined Gonzaga point guard Kevin Pangos at a senior national team training camp in August.

Baylor guard Brady Heslip, a good friend of Olynyk, also attended that camp. The Bears (8-3) visit 13th-ranked Gonzaga (11-1) on Friday. ESPN2 televises the game at 5 p.m.

hondo
12-26-2012, 05:09 PM
"This season, only 7 of Olynyk's 79 shots have been shot from 3-point range, and he's made just one."
But what a huge 3 that was in a very important win that 3 could well have been the turning point in the game.

Ekrub
12-26-2012, 05:14 PM
"Right now we're just trying to get through the season and have a great season and go as far as we can with this group of guys," Olynyk said. "But if the (NBA) opportunity presents itself, then sometimes you have to take it. If not, I'm going to be ready to come back next year and have another great run."

Let's hope he stays.

hooter73
12-26-2012, 05:52 PM
At what point in the last year or two do you think he realized just what he might be capabile of?

Baseline
12-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Kelly's transformation to a mobile big man is the biggest change I have witnessed in any player. No only has he picked up the physicality of the position, but he has brought a new level of mobility that is rare. If his skill level and IQ for the position keep advancing, Kelly could add a new chapter as to how a big man can play. He shows glimpses of that ability, lets hope it grows and he turns into a force.

DixieZag
12-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Many of these articles have been written after the K-State game (though there were many before, also) and that game was his most impressive. His drives to the hoop and creativity in making space were excellant - the dunk was indicative of a new physical aggressiveness.

I seriously doubt that he is ready for the NBA - but, I said the same thing about Daye and he went 15th - if Kelly were assured that kind of pick, he would have to go, he already would have his degree.

Dearly hope that he is around next year - he could be an All-American candidate.

rijman
12-26-2012, 07:26 PM
I seriously doubt that he is ready for the NBA - but, I said the same thing about Daye and he went 15th - if Kelly were assured that kind of pick, he would have to go, he already would have his degree.

I said the same thing about Daye, I was convinced he would be back. I'm glad I didn't bet the house on that. As far as Kelly is concerned, I hope he is with us for another season.

dnj116
12-27-2012, 08:09 AM
I said the same thing about Daye, I was convinced he would be back. I'm glad I didn't bet the house on that. As far as Kelly is concerned, I hope he is with us for another season.

Completely agree. I hope that he is back (because if he isn't we are left with a very thin front-court), but if he is projected as a first round lock, then he would certainly have to take that opportunity. Lets enjoy having him on the team while we can, and just hope he takes one more year before earning a living as a basketball player.

dnj116
12-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Didn't think this deserved its own thread, but another article mentioning the Zags from the hoops report (http://www.thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=1039) breaking down the five best "mid-major" basketball teams this year:

Gonzaga – The Gonzaga Bulldogs might as well not even be considered a mid-major after all the success they’ve had over the years. They are always ranked well in the AP’s top 25 teams and have consistently found themselves qualified for the NCAA tournament where they have made some strong runs over the years. Gonzaga is really the original mid-major teams to find consistent success against major NCAA teams, and have inspired other smaller schools to build their programs to Gonzaga’s level. Last season they snapped an eleven year streak of winning the WCC regular season title. Currently this season they are ranked highest in the AP polls of any other mid-major at 14th. The Zags return several important players including two solid freshmen, Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr., who are lethal from the three point line. Senior Elias Harris has been the anchor of the team so far, with a strong inside and outside game. Harris has averaged 15.5 ppg and 7.5 rpg. The Zags are also grooming a 7’1”, 305 lb freshman, Przemek Karnowski, who should grow to be a monster inside. His size alone will be difficult in the future for teams to account for. The key for Gonzaga for this season will be the leadership of player such as Elias Harris, and Gary Bell Jr., along with the experience of Head Coach Mark Few, who has helped lead many successful Gonzaga campaigns. Gonzaga has made an impressive fourteen straight trips to the NCAA tournament with at least 23 victories each season, and we don’t see that type of success ending this year.

dnj116
12-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Also, this article from the bleacher report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1455463-gonzaga-basketball-early-season-grades-for-the-zags) actually does a good job of breaking down each player and how they are playing this season. I realize the general disdain for the bleacher report around here, and I generally don't read their articles, either. However, I did find that the writer of this article was pretty well-versed and knowledgeable with our team. Worth a read, in my opinion. (don't attack the messenger please!)

Birddog
12-27-2012, 03:46 PM
That BR report was written by a Gonzaga student. I'll bet he reads this board.
Anybody can be blogger these days, I'll stick with the mainstream as bad as they can be sometimes.

jazzdelmar
12-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Hoops report piece was probably written on some beach in August. No mention of KO and calling guards lethal shooters a giveaway.