• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vanzagger
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

channel

your inner "Mean Joe", coach.

Did the Stealersllllll ever win any of their world championships with a tiny QB? Bradshaw was a horse for his era. Have the Pats or Giants?

9'rs had a big athletic QB and decided to go bigger. Guess who's favored tonight. Even if the Hawks win they are still wild card. No excuses Seattle. Everybody has injuries and is young. If Wilson is all that he will take care of business.

It's time for Zag Nation to unite and take care of business. We have all the size and talent. Let's bring it together and do this!

In sports, nice is cute but cute isn't nice. Time to build a steel curtain. Get bigger any chance you can.

Length and D.

Go Zags
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!
  • willandi
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

One thing for sure, no 'small' guards in the NFL! Your type of game VZ!
    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• maynard g krebs
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2009

John Wooden's philosophy was quickness with as much size as possible. Not the other way around. The 1965 team didn't have a starter over 6'5 and played a "midget" backcourt. The Michigan team they defeated for the title had 6-5 and 6'4 guards, featuring Cazzie Russell, and a front line of massive 6'7 and 6'8 guys.

There are multiple ways to play basketball. Focus on "length and D" and you have Leonard Hamilton and Florida State.

Comment

• Vanzagger
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I always assumed the UCLA dynasty was anchored by Lewis Alcindor and Bill Walton. Thanks for setting history straight. Anyway Wooden had huge recruiting advantages back then. Sort of like we do now.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
          Zag for Life
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Vanzagger View Post
          I always assumed the UCLA dynasty was anchored by Lewis Alcindor and Bill Walton. Thanks for setting history straight. Anyway Wooden had huge recruiting advantages back then. Sort of like we do now.
          Anchored by, yes. But it was the success of very small teams of '64 and 65 that laid the foundation that allowed him to recruit those guys. As I said, there are multiple ways to play basketball and win.

Your last 2 sentences simply leave me speechless, as is usual.

I don't really follow pro football, but judging by the score at the half, it looks like the little guy must be somehow compensating for his deficiencies. Maybe he'll shut you up for good. One can only hope.

Comment

• SteelZag
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
            John Wooden's philosophy was quickness with as much size as possible. Not the other way around. The 1965 team didn't have a starter over 6'5 and played a "midget" backcourt. The Michigan team they defeated for the title had 6-5 and 6'4 guards, featuring Cazzie Russell, and a front line of massive 6'7 and 6'8 guys.

There are multiple ways to play basketball. Focus on "length and D" and you have Leonard Hamilton and Florida State.
            Gail Goodrich was listed at 6'1". If that is considered midget, then Vanzagger is correct. We do have a midget backcourt. Even with their slump, I will still take our backcourt over most. Brandon Paul would be nice to put in once in awhile though.

A little history for Vanzagger. UCLA won NCAA titles in '64 and '65, and then from '67 thru '73. The Bruins may have easily won ten in a row had freshmen been eligible back in the day. The freshman team with Alcindor crushed the defending champion Varsity team during the '65-'66 season. The freshmen eligibility rule did not come into vogue until 1972 for hoops. The reason for that being? Those age 55 and above are ineligible to answer.

Comment

• sittingon50
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Cmon Steel

Some of us over 55 can't remember what we had for breakfast!!
              But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• SteelZag
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                Some of us over 55 can't remember what we had for breakfast!!

Comment

• Vanzagger
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I reserve

the right to say that Wilson has proven me wrong until the last down has been played. It looks like he could be well on his way though. That was impressive tonight. I wore my grey wolf beast mode to the local sports bar and was cheering my ass off the whole game.

I love the Hawks personnel. The Legion of Boom is the biggest back field ever. We have really beefed up our interior the last few years. I hated those quick small guys we thought we could win with the previous regime brought in.

I just hope we don't have the next Fran Tarkington. Vikes were 0-4 in Superbowls.

Hawks are a game within the 9rs so I can not post for now. I've been shut up.

Good Luck

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2011

the right to say that Wilson has proven me wrong until the last down has been played. It looks like he could be well on his way though. That was impressive tonight. I wore my grey wolf beast mode to the local sports bar and was cheering my ass off the whole game.

I love the Hawks personnel. The Legion of Boom is the biggest back field ever. We have really beefed up our interior the last few years. I hated those quick small guys we thought we could win with the previous regime brought in.

I just hope we don't have the next Fran Tarkington. Vikes were 0-4 in Superbowls.

Hawks are a game within the 9rs so I can not post for now. I've been shut up.

Good Luck
                    Its all Pete Carroll IMO. Players have to play but Pete is collecting the best and getting the best out of them. The momentum and team building he displayed at USC is working in the the NFL.

If we have to play the Packers again.......
                    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• zagamatic
                      Zag for Life
                      • Aug 2009

I'm so tired of hearing all this talk about our guards height. My high school team was far and away the tallest team in our league. Granted, it was a farm school league. But the teams that gave us fits were always the short little &*-%%*;$'s. And we rarely lost to teams from larger cities who were physically bigger than us.
                      Give me a team with size where it's needed, speed where it's needed and really good chemistry and unselfish players any day.

Comment

• SteelZag
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Feb 2012

Coulee City vs. Curlew

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                          • Feb 2007

your inner "Mean Joe", coach.

Did the Stealersllllll ever win any of their world championships with a tiny QB? Bradshaw was a horse for his era. Have the Pats or Giants?

9'rs had a big athletic QB and decided to go bigger. Guess who's favored tonight. Even if the Hawks win they are still wild card. No excuses Seattle. Everybody has injuries and is young. If Wilson is all that he will take care of business.

It's time for Zag Nation to unite and take care of business. We have all the size and talent. Let's bring it together and do this!

In sports, nice is cute but cute isn't nice. Time to build a steel curtain. Get bigger any chance you can.

Length and D.

Go Zags
                          BTW Vanzagger... what the hell is the Seahawks record with their tiny QB????
                          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• zagfan24
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jun 2008

Confirmation bias: Acknowledging only that data which supports your a priori conclusion.

Keep beating that drum, though, by all means. Just don't expect anybody else to be persuaded when you cherry pick your examples and ignore that which contradicts your viewpoints.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                              Zag for Life
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by zagamatic View Post
                              I'm so tired of hearing all this talk about our guards height. My high school team was far and away the tallest team in our league. Granted, it was a farm school league. But the teams that gave us fits were always the short little &*-%%*;$'s. And we rarely lost to teams from larger cities who were physically bigger than us.
                              Give me a team with size where it's needed, speed where it's needed and really good chemistry and unselfish players any day.
                              I'll buy! It's more about the skillset (including physical skills, mental skills, emotional skills, etc.) those guards bring and whether with that skillset they can impose their will on the other bigger guards, or vice versa. The answer sure isn't cookie cutter and one size fits all!

biggest skill is to be able to play one's best when it's most needed, my opinion

Comment

Working...
                              X