PDA

View Full Version : So what situation would be better for us?

GodZaga76
12-22-2012, 06:00 PM
So if K-State can hold on and win tonite angainst Florida, and I saw that Mizz beat the Illini today is that a better situaton for us than if Illini would have beat Mizz and K State lose to Florida?

Ekrub
12-22-2012, 06:20 PM
I don't really know as far as RPI goes. But we are lacking a good win. KSU might be that win for us (I hope)

FlyZag
12-22-2012, 06:26 PM
need top-50 wins

GodZaga76
12-22-2012, 06:31 PM
So will that win put K state in or close to top 25?

Oregonzagnut
12-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Oklahoma is a very solid win. OK is RPI 25 with a SOS of 16.

IMO our best win, and we basically owned them the entire game. Too bad they lost to S.P. Austin who they probably overlooked.

It is possible Illinois and Florida could drop below us in the rankings and we move up to #12.

MickMick
12-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Anybody can beat anybody.

We will see that as the season wears on.

What you can hang your hat on over a stretch of consecutive tournament games:

1) Defense

3) Rebounding

2) Scoring in the paint with a high FG%.

What you can't hang your hat on over a stretch of consecutive tournament games:

1) Three point shooting.

Going in to post season, I'll take GU's squad over Illinois any day of the week. The Illini are a jump shooting team that is near the top in shooting percentage but little else to rely on. They can shoot well and beat anybody on a given night. I just can't see them winning three in a row in post season. Brandon Paul just proved he isn't the second coming of Carmello Anthony.

Ekrub
12-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Oklahoma is a very solid win. OK is RPI 25 with a SOS of 16.

IMO our best win, and we basically owned them the entire game. Too bad they lost to S.P. Austin who they probably overlooked.

It is possible Illinois and Florida could drop below us in the rankings and we move up to #12.

Didn't realize they had such a solid RPI. Still early... But also good for us. What are they expected to finish in league?

Oregonzagnut
12-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Didn't realize they had such a solid RPI. Still early... But also good for us. What are they expected to finish in league?

The Big 12 (really 10 teams) preseason coaches poll

1. Kansas
2. Baylor
3. Okla St.
4. Texas
5. Kansas St
6. WVU
7. Okla
8. Iowa St
9. Texas Tech
10. TCU

Since there are 2 "open vacancies" in the Big 12, maybe Few is "auditioning" to prove that we belong in a major conference. ;) If we can take down Baylor and Ok St, that is a major statement of where we are at nationally. The distance for Texas Tech to fly to WVU is the same as Texas Tech to fly to Spokane.

BTB
12-22-2012, 09:20 PM
So if K-State can hold on and win tonite angainst Florida, and I saw that Mizz beat the Illini today is that a better situaton for us than if Illini would have beat Mizz and K State lose to Florida?

I would imagine the situation that actually happened is much better for us. Illinois losing to #12 will barely change their RPI, K-State beating #8 will boost their RPI big time. At least I would think so

Oregonzagnut
12-22-2012, 10:18 PM
I would imagine the situation that actually happened is much better for us. Illinois losing to #12 will barely change their RPI, K-State beating #8 will boost their RPI big time. At least I would think so

This.

Illinois is pretty static in rank and RPI. but K state Just separated themselves from about 80 average 100ish RPI teams and will get some top 25 votes. Like ekruB said, their power numbers and pomeroy rankings rose in a big way. K state made a far bigger leap by beating the #8 team, then if Illinois would have beat #12. That is key right there. Mizzou RPI was 70 and Florida was 16. We want our opponent to beat the higher RPI team as often as possible no matter what.

Both winning would have been even sweeter!