PDA

View Full Version : Manny Arop

cggonzaga
12-22-2012, 04:05 PM
It'd sure be nice to have an athletic 6'7" scoring wing that rebounds very well and plays solid defense. Sometimes you gotta give a kid a chance to grow up.

MDABE80
12-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Hope he grows up in his new home. I hope hes a worldbeater. Didn't do well here.Twas a very good choice for him to go.

Oregonzagnut
12-22-2012, 04:10 PM
It'd sure be nice to have an athletic 6'7" scoring wing that rebounds very well and plays solid defense. Sometimes you gotta give a kid a chance to grow up.

Luckily far more stay at Gonzaga than leave to go elsewhere and star. Arop and Gibbs are successful and we can be confident in the future of Fews recruiting.

cggonzaga
12-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Agreed. He's the only thing missing on what I believe is still a terrific team.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-22-2012, 04:40 PM
No offense to Manny, but I'll take Mike Hart.

Zag 77
12-22-2012, 05:03 PM
It'd sure be nice to have an athletic 6'7" scoring wing that rebounds very well and plays solid defense.

Unfortunately that person was not Manny Arop. Nice kid, but did not have a high basketball IQ. Hopefully he gets his degree wherever it is he ended up.

CDC84
12-22-2012, 05:05 PM

He had his chances, but he showed the basketball IQ of a 3 year old at GU, and that's not going to cut it with Few who wins a lot more than the coaches at Indiana State do. Arop had to have players tell him where to stand on the floor at both ends half the time. Manny was simply his own worst enemy at GU.

I'm glad that he's playing for a team that's more appropriate for his style and where he will get PT and never be taken out simply because he's the most talented player they have. If he makes low basketball IQ plays, the alternative are low major players on the bench who'd get torched against a team like Mississippi.

Oregonzagnut
12-22-2012, 06:36 PM
This thread should be in Old Dogs?

thespywhozaggedme
12-22-2012, 07:59 PM
27 points tonight in a blow out win.

cggonzaga
12-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Sometimes you gotta give a kid a chance to grow up.

Key to my statement.

Sorry CDC. It's nobody's fault but the coaches to not do their homework on Arop in the first place if he was so dumb on the basketball court. They knew what they were getting when they recruited him. I'm not suggesting what you're saying isn't true but I think he just needed some patience from the staff and a chance to grow up as a man. I still think part of GU's problems come March are the fact that the staff doesn't allow a little more freedom in the offense. We'll never get the elite athletes until this changes and may never make that run in March that the fan base wants.

So far he's averaging 12ppg and 7rpg for an above average Indiana St team that is now 6-3 and lost in overtime to New Mexico. By the way Manny had 17 and 10 in that game.

Spy, he scored 27 against an Ole Miss team that had only lost 1 coming in to that game in overtime not a blowout.

Vanzagger
12-22-2012, 10:24 PM
I love his hustle. I hope he continues to play well.

Saxon_zag
12-22-2012, 11:48 PM
27 points tonight in a blow out win.

2 pt win in OT*

Yeah once Manny got on FEws craplist (which many on this board follow as their own personal craplist) for some missed D assignments there was sadly no turning back. You could see his potential from the start, a better version of what we have now in GLE with slightly less D presence and a lot more ways to score.

Bogozags
12-23-2012, 04:08 AM
Say what you will on MA's being a basketball dummy but as a previous poster said, the staff saw MA and should of known or noticed or picked up on that fact. If they did then they made the same mistake many women do when they get married and that is to try and "change their man" who can't be changed and then become frustrated and eventually unhappy in the relationship.

Seems like the same thing might of happened with GG, who I always liked too and seemed to me as a copy of MB playing style.

I think MA got into the staff's dog house and couldn't get out of it, saw the writing on the wall and left! If that was the case, then it was a sad day for all parties.

There isn't anyone on this board that can convince me MA couldn't play here and be successful. Wonder what a redshirt year would of done for him?

I see KD having potential but doesn't look to the basket and believe that is because of the system played here at GU. KD is option #4 or #5 depending on who is on the court. Have never been keen on that type of system BUT GU has won a few games using it. It would be nice if KD and MH would be "allowed" to look more frequently at scoring as it sure would keep the defense more honest...IMO.

GeorgiaZagFan
12-23-2012, 08:13 AM

What Manny is doing now has NO bearing on what he COULD be doing for the Zags ....completely different level of competition. MA is the Sycamore's #1 go to guy ....if he is the Zags #1 go to guy then WE lose to Morehead State. By the way, Ole Miss would lose to West Virginia...they are NOT that good...their best win may be a 3-point win at LMU.

BobZag
12-23-2012, 09:16 AM
I liked Mangisto. The staff chose him over Mike Moser (UCLA, then UNLV) and another kid who I liked but can't recall. Hope he does really well.

Angelo Roncalli
12-23-2012, 10:56 AM
2 pt win in OT*

Yeah once Manny got on FEws craplist (which many on this board follow as their own personal craplist) for some missed D assignments there was sadly no turning back. You could see his potential from the start, a better version of what we have now in GLE with slightly less D presence and a lot more ways to score.

Setting up on the opposite side of a zone from where you're supposed to be, and having 3 treys in a row drop in from the area you're assigned to guard, is never a good thing for one's career.

Vanzagger
12-23-2012, 11:54 AM
alert

cggonzaga
12-23-2012, 12:54 PM
No Angelo, CDC and others Mangisto wasn't perfect and made mistakes in games. You mostly seem to be referencing one game in particular. I also remember a guy that had his best games against elite competition. That's known as a gamer. Might not have been the most consistent but he was only given 2 years to show what he was. Even those that believe few and staff can do no wrong must acknowledge the Few doghouse and the near impossibility to get out of it.

I forget who said it but there is no question in my mind Manny makes this team better this year. No, the numbers wouldn't be what he's posting now but he'd be better than what we have at the 3 now.

BobZag
12-23-2012, 03:38 PM
It's kinda cool to see him being The Man for Indy State. A wonderful young man with a life story worthy of a movie. Go Mangisto!

Bogozags
12-23-2012, 05:55 PM
It's kinda cool to see him being The Man for Indy State. A wonderful young man with a life story worthy of a movie. Go Mangisto!

Truer words have not been spoken...amazing story...just getting here was winning the lotto...