PDA

View Full Version : Next up: Baylor

tyra
12-21-2012, 09:55 PM
I watched Baylor handily defeat BYU tonight 79-64. I believe every Baylor starter scored in double digits. Their 7'1" freshman phenom, Isaiah Austin, is the real thing. Very skilled.

ZagLawGrad
12-21-2012, 09:57 PM
I watched Baylor handily defeat BYU tonight 79-64. I believe every Baylor starter scored in double digits. Their 7'1" freshman phenom, Isaiah Austin, is the real thing. Very skilled.

Think we can take 'em?

tyra
12-21-2012, 10:01 PM
I don't know. I do think the fact that they are as balanced as we are will make for a fascinating game.

VinnyZag
12-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Baylor's a weird one. They won at Kentucky, but lost to College of Charleston at home. In back-to-back games.

Should be some interesting matchups here: Bell vs. Pierre Jackson, Olynyk vs. Austin.

GU should win at home.

Oregonzagnut
12-21-2012, 10:48 PM
GU should win at home.

It is that word "should" that scares me. I don't seem to trust it like I used to.

SweetOnionZag
12-22-2012, 03:04 AM
Baylor's a weird one. They won at Kentucky, but lost to College of Charleston at home. In back-to-back games.

Should be some interesting matchups here: Bell vs. Pierre Jackson, Olynyk vs. Austin.

GU should win at home.

Our bigs should do fine, but Jackson's speed concerns me...............

bigblahla
12-22-2012, 03:33 AM
How the game is called will have a bearing on the outcome. BYU - Baylor was another rugby scrum. The amount of physical contact allowed is getting beyond the point of being ridiculous. The game of basketball used to be played with your feet. The amount of hand checking allowed is a joke and unless you're a 7'1" really big polish dude you can body up and not get called.

When playing through contact means two guys have you by the arms as you try to go up for a shot or a rebound and it's not called says more about the inconsistent state of officiating than the game itself.

Although the rules are the same for everyone it's pretty obvious that what is a foul varies from one conference to the next and one game to the next, or so it seems to me.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
12-22-2012, 03:52 AM
sounds like baylor should be rated. it would make a loss more damaging if they are not.

bartruff1
12-22-2012, 05:02 AM
Our bigs should do fine, but Jackson's speed concerns me............... Davies went for something like 26 and 17... but they have a gaggle of very quick guards that can score... they are not big.....Few will figure out some way to slow them down....Gonzaga should win at home...

DixieZag
12-22-2012, 05:58 AM
Sounds to me like we should be trying to get their big guy in foul trouble and then pressuring the outside.

We can send 4 guys at their one seven footer - can he shoot FTs? If we can slow him down or get him on the pine, maybe we can make them one-dimensional.

Of course, we made Illinois awfully one dimensional and their one dimension beat us. This is exactly the type of game that scares me nowadays.

And I am very concerned about the officiating also - we really suffer from physical, hand check games. I believe that the biggest reason that we lost our lead to Illinois was that they were able to slap away underneath and stopped us from going inside - not by denial or blocking but simply by swiping. Ugh.

Baldwinzag
12-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Davies went for something like 26 and 17... but they have a gaggle of very quick guards that can score... they are not big.....Few will figure out some way to slow them down....Gonzaga should win at home...

true, yet the scary thing is that they also feature two HUGE guys up front to compliment their guards.

their center is 7'1", long, athletic, highly mobile, and features some skilled moves. He averages 9 rpg to boot.

their power forward is 6'9"+, is also very long, mobile, and tough. he also averages around 9 rpg.

they have a plethora of athletic, lighting fast guards who are capable of shooting or driving -- their PG is an NBA player. averages 6+ apg,

not to mention one of the top 3pt threats in the nation in Brady Heslip.

4 starter averaged double-figures. they were selected Top-3 in the Big-12 and certainly a team that can win their conference. size underneath, quickness along the perimeter, very good guard play, rebound well, and have length at every position. essentially, the type of who gains steam as the year goes on...

they blew out Kentucky AT Kentucky and just destroyed a BYU team who played pretty well, yet they lost to COC at home. They have somehow managed to lose 3 games, yet by a combined 10 points. Keep in mind, we lost 1 game by 11 points.

Every game they dropped, they shot cold as ice, so we can hope for the same result...

Baylor is Top-25 in effective FG% and Top-50 in PPG.

They are a better team than Illinois, from what I've seen. Much more balanced, can actually defend us inside with athleticism and size. They have the type of guards that can hurt us...one is considered the quickest in College BB and their other is tall and can shoot from any range. Their two front court players average a near double-double.

Baylor, by far, is the best non-ranked team in the land. (they were ranked earlier).

Overall, our most challenging match-up of the season. This isn't the team we want to see come March -- IF we bring our A+ game, even sans KC, we can pull out a win. We must shoot well, defend with tenacity, and hope they are cold.

fwiw, Baylor has 3 players who were ranked in the Top-30 at one point or another...and the 3rd overall player from 2012.

BTB
12-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Isaiah Austin didn't look that great to me in this game. Looked very overrated on offense. 5-15 for a 7'1" guy doesn't impress me at all. And three of his baskets were alley-oop passes set up by his guards dribble penetration. He's very athletic and long, plays good D but on offense he reminds me of a young Olynyk (maybe Austin Daye would be a better comparison) who wants to show off his perimeter game

GonzaGAW
12-22-2012, 07:35 AM
i think the olynyk v. austin match up will be great, both 7 footers with mobility and ability to shoot away from the basket. i think olynyk has a slight edge in ability to finish at the rim.

bell v. jackson, jackson has the edge, nobody that i can think of has the speed to stop jackson. i do not know what the answer will be? maybe some zone and good ball control i.e. limited turnovers.

dower v. gathers, he reminds me of batista, but stronger! he is going to be a bear to contain down low. i do not see dower being up to that challenge defensively. but he could score on him. maybe smart positioning, craftiness will get him flustered and make some offensive fouls, i'm thinking mike hart even though he gives up 35 pounds.

pangos v. heslip, so far this year heslip has the better shooting numbers. key as always will be to keep a hand in his face. let him spot up like last night and he will kill us from the 3. same can be said of walton and rose and others, they are good with spot up shots but not so good in creating their own open shots.

i actually think this is a game that we might be better off playing slower than the opponent wants. i think our half court offense will be more efficient. our bigs can pass better than their bigs.

my two keys to the game
1. turnovers, if we have 16 or more like we did against illinois, we lose. we slow tempo just a bit and hold our turnovers to below average, just 11, that is a 8-10 point swing in the final score.
2. what game will the ref's call. as mentioned above last night was a brawl. the tighter the game is called the better for the zags. we have more depth and fouls to give and our f.t. shooting has been excellent the last 3 games, mostly by getting the right personel to the line (harris and olynyk and bell).

clearly both teams are very good and can win this game. if we shore up our 3 point defense, limit our turnovers, with home court advantage i see a zags win. but till a tough one, say 76-70

DixieZag
12-22-2012, 07:50 AM
It seems like this will be a game that we will need our guards to be playing very well.

Contain their outside threats and penetration.

Shoot well enough to keep them from sagging into the middle.

Do not commit silly turnovers early in the possession.

3 keys to winning dependent upon our guards.

thespywhozaggedme
12-22-2012, 08:11 AM

GU should win at home.

Who then proceeded to lose to D2 Anderson University by 19 points. This is a whacky season.

tyra
12-22-2012, 08:12 AM
KO does indeed finish stronger than Austin. He IS stronger. But Austin has some real athleticism for a thin 7'1" guy. He made a crazy left handed sky hook (he's right handed) last night as well as an all-net trey. This will be a fun match up -- all the way around.

bartruff1
12-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Those guards are fast...I doubt our guards can stay in front of them... it will be a very entertaining game to watch...... the matchups...and the adjustments...

combatcorpsmangulaw
12-22-2012, 08:52 AM
I hope Baylor puts us to the test. If so and we beat them, there should be a high level of confidence that we can play w/ anyone. If the Illinois defeat at home meant anything, other than rhetoric, we should do well against Baylor.

If we lose to Baylor, it tells the team that the Illinois game wasn't a fluke.

We have the talent on the floor. If we play in control offensively along w/ vigorous defense, Baylor won't beat us.

If things go wrong and the coaches figure out a Plan B, we'll win. If not, well we better get real lucky.

ZagsGoZags
12-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Combat said:

"If we lose to Baylor, it tells the team that the Illinois game wasn't a fluke. "

I agree.

jazzdelmar
12-22-2012, 09:15 AM
has the feel of a sweet sixteen game.....maybe we can get meech to play

bartruff1
12-22-2012, 09:24 AM
has the feel of a sweet sixteen game.....maybe we can get meech to play I was thinking the same thing...

the matchups here are the most interesting (IMHO of course) since Ohio State... I hope the game is as interesting as I think it will be...

I fear the rockus old geezer crowd in the Kennell will intimidate them and Gonzaga will kick butt...

BobZag
12-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Tuned in when Baylor was up by 20. Might go to espn3.com today to see just how this became a blowout. Somewhat surprising, that spread.

zag67
12-22-2012, 10:19 AM
I think that part of the key for us to win is our depth. Their players (4 of them) average over 30 minutes. Run them hard and make them work at both ends of the court.

GonzaGAW
12-22-2012, 10:28 AM
byu ran out to a 10 point 29-19 lead, mostly on hays scoring 13 quick points.
the momentum all changed on two plays. hays picked up a second foul and had to sit. then when byu had the ball trying to push lead to 13, they picked up a flagrant elbow foul, 2 f.t., the ball plus 2 and a turnover in front court and they had just made a 6 point play. lead 5 instead of pushing it to 13. that was the start of a 21-2 run to end the first half.

second half, davies could not finish a shot to save his soul, others missed shots at the rim. most all contested but gosh they had to have missed 8 shots close in. then they could not hit a 3. at one time they where 1 or 10 while baylor was around 8 of 18.

in second half jackson kept feeding his big men with alley oop slams once he made penetration pass his defender, and heslip got open and drained 3 threes. oh and lets not leave this out, carlino stunk up the joint, the commentators all but said so in a nice way, he was a liability while on the court for byu.

SteelZag
12-22-2012, 10:45 AM
The momentum swing reminded me of the Wake Forest game.

MDABE80
12-22-2012, 10:51 AM
BYU= win
Baylor= doomed

Oregonzagnut
12-22-2012, 11:22 AM
byu ran out to a 10 point 29-19 lead, mostly on hays scoring 13 quick points.
the momentum all changed on two plays. hays picked up a second foul and had to sit. then when byu had the ball trying to push lead to 13, they picked up a flagrant elbow foul, 2 f.t., the ball plus 2 and a turnover in front court and they had just made a 6 point play. lead 5 instead of pushing it to 13. that was the start of a 21-2 run to end the first half.

second half, davies could not finish a shot to save his soul, others missed shots at the rim. most all contested but gosh they had to have missed 8 shots close in. then they could not hit a 3. at one time they where 1 or 10 while baylor was around 8 of 18.

in second half jackson kept feeding his big men with alley oop slams once he made penetration pass his defender, and heslip got open and drained 3 threes. oh and lets not leave this out, carlino stunk up the joint, the commentators all but said so in a nice way, he was a liability while on the court for byu.

How was Baylors 3pt shooting and defense in the paint? IMO, those 2 things will hurt us if they succeed at either. Judging from the stats 50% shooting from three is scary. But maybe that was because BYU let them?

Reborn
12-22-2012, 11:26 AM
I don't believe that Baylor is a Sweet 16 matchup. I would say they are more like a second round match up. They are the kind of real good team that a team heading for the Sweet 16 needs to beat. They will be in the top 32 in the USA I think. I'm not even sure if Gonzaga is a Sweet 16 team. We'll learn more next Friday.

Baylor plays a 2-3 zone defense, so our guards will have to have a good night. This is definitely a game the guards could really make a statement. Having said that, the Zags will still need to go inside first and then outside. Make the zone work hard and don't take quick shots. Be patient, and attack the zone. That's how Temple beat Syracuse today.

Baylor's guards are good. They are the focus of their offense. Jackson is very good, and he's a winner. Austin is their second leading scorer after Jackson, and is going to be a good matchup for Olynyk. Jackson is only 5'10" and, imo he will be an easier matchup then Paul.

I like the way Gonzaga has been playing defense since their loss. If they can play like that I believe they will win. If my memory is still serving me right, GU does a good job at home against teams not ranked in the top 20 or 25.