PDA

View Full Version : Best NCAA game you've attended in person

azzagfan
08-02-2007, 03:44 AM
I thought I'd throw this out there as I'm sure on this board we have some of the most avid Zag fans that travel for the games.

First tourney game I attended was in SLC against Maryland (the first NCAA tourney appearance). We were way overmatched, but hung tough for a half before Joe Smith and Booth took control. I, unfortunately attended the game with some friends who were Texas fans. Texas beat Oregon in the first game, and during "Eyes of Texas", I would have stuck one of their index or pinky fingers in my eye if the Zags weren't playing right afterwards.

Second game was the Minnesota-Gonzaga game in Seattle that started the elite eight run. Great game, Q was great defending Quincy Carter. Downside was I stayed for the Stanford-East Tennessee State (?) game, which caused my blood pressure to rise as I wanted to charge the court during each timeout and pummel that tree during its little dance.

ZAGduck
08-02-2007, 05:12 AM
Not sure if you mean NCAA tourney or NCAA in general. Tourney game would have to be GU/FL @ Phoenix in 1999 (what a classic). Non-tourney game would be GU/Okla St inn 2005. Lost my voice for 3 days each time.

jbslicer
08-02-2007, 06:06 AM
1985 NCAA Championship game in Lexington, KY. Villanova beat Georgetown. Brent and Billy looked pretty small from the next to the last row in Rupp Arena.

Gunzawguh
08-02-2007, 06:53 AM
GU vs. Florida in Phoenix

or

GU vs. Michigan State in Maui

OregonZag5
08-02-2007, 06:56 AM
1964 NCAA championship game between UCLA and Michigan in Portland- Did not realize how lucky I was to be the game- I cheered for Michigan as even then I did not like UCLA- Also got to see Bill Bradley play for Princeton-

drnoe
08-02-2007, 07:31 AM
Top 3 games...

1) LMU vs. Michigan ('90 NCAA tourney in Long Beach)

2) LMU vs. New Mexico ('90 NCAA tourney in Long Beach)

3) Santa Clara vs. Arizona ('95 NCAA tourney in SLC)

tyra
08-02-2007, 07:34 AM
The last Zag game I attend is the best one I've ever been to . . . each and every time.

CDC84
08-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Without a doubt #3 Stanford vs. #1 Duke at the Pete Newell Challenge in Oakland back in 2000:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/12/22/sports/main259099.shtml

That court was filled with future pros with high basketball IQ's. The head coaching matchup between Coach K and Mike Montgomery was tremendous. Stanford's comeback was incredible, and the atmosphere truly electric. At the time it was the largest crowd to ever attend a college basketball game in the state of California.

I still feel the Cardinal had the best team in the country that year, despite being upset in the elite 8 by Maryland. The two other best teams, Duke and Arizona, eventually squared off in the title game.

mnzag24
08-02-2007, 08:14 AM
GU vs. Ok St. in 2005, will never forget the Bank.

or

Marguette V. Kentucky Elite 8 2003 at the Metrodome in Minneapolis, D-Wade was off the charts.

BoltZag
08-02-2007, 08:55 AM
GU vs. Ok St. in 2005, will never forget the Bank.

Beat me to it ... I was sure the roof was coming off KeyArena that afternoon.

That, and GU vs. Pepperdine in The Kennel, Feb. 2000. From a 20pt deficit to clenching the WCC title in 10 minutes of playing time. You could've powered a small city with the energy in that building.

LongIslandZagFan
08-02-2007, 09:10 AM
GU vs. UNC in the garden last year.

Second would be SJU vs. UCONN in 2000 also at MSG

TheBeast
08-02-2007, 09:12 AM
I have three:
1. The Pepperdine game in the old Kennel in 2002 for homecoming.
2. The game in Seattle against UW where the Huskies didn't score in something like 18 attempts.
3. My first game in the new Kennel against San Diego this year. Un. Be. Liev. A. Ble.

LargeWilliam
08-02-2007, 09:39 AM
1987 ACC Torunament semifinals at Cap Center in D.C. Game-1, Carolina, the Heels ran the table in the ACC at 14-0 that year, beat Virginia 84-82 in double overtime. Next game NC State beat Wake 77-75 in double OT. The place was crazy. Sunday's final saw Valvano pull the upset 68-67 over Dean Smith's guys. That is the last time NC State won the ACC. Valvano was fired 3 years later and dead 3 years after that.

frontrangezag
08-02-2007, 10:17 AM
NCSU @ UNC 1981, Carmichael Auditorium.

Duke @ NCSU 1983, Reynolds Collesioum

UNC @ Duke, 1999? (football) (54-0) at halftime with 2 J. Peppers TD's.

Every single Zags game I have been to in Spokane.

Hopefully to top the list in the near future Zags v. (fill in the blank) in Denver, 2008 NCAA Tournament.

Frazzle
08-02-2007, 10:40 AM
My #1 would have to be the Gonzaga vs. Missouri (Battle in Seattle) game in Key Arena. That game was so exciting and the crowd was absolutely out of control. That game made my wife a diehard college basketball fan, which -- in turn -- has enabled me to get a pass on watching as much college basketball as I can handle.

lothar98zag
08-02-2007, 10:44 AM
I've been to the following 7 GU NCAA tourney games:
(listed best to worst)

99 - Sw16 vs Florida, Phoenix
99 - 2nd rd vs Stanford, Seattle
99 - E8 vs UConn, Phoenix
95 - 1st rd vs Maryland, SLC
01 - Sw16 vs Mich St, Atlanta
07 - 1st rd vs Indiana, Sacramento
06 - Sw16 vs #*$&, Oakland

FWIW, I've seen several other NCAA games - pretty much all of them being doubleheaders w/ a Zag game - none of them really stand out as being anything special.

webspinnre
08-02-2007, 12:08 PM
GU vs ARZ = Instant Classic. I was absolutely hoarse, and shaking from all the adrenaline pumping through me.

madzag
08-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Tournament:
*Iíve only been to NCAA tournament games in 2005 in SLC, so between Xavier and Indiana, Iíd have to say the Indiana game was my favorite. The Xavier game was fun for the comeback aspect, but I really enjoyed the Indiana game with Mallonís big night and I think the fact that it was the 2nd round also had something to do with it.

Non-tournament:
*EWU in the Kennel, 2001. Zags were down 16 or so at halftime and for the first 10 minutes of the second half or so, and promptly staged a great comeback to win in OT by 10 or so. That was the loudest Iíd heard the Kennel to that point (it was my second season of games) and one of the first times I remember getting all the oldsters across from the students up on their feet and cheering. Just fond memories in general.
*Mizzou at Key Arena, 2003. I was in the third or fourth row of the student section and that one was just fun. I also didnít make as many games in the Kennel that year (I didnít have the time to wait all day Sunday for tickets and then wait again to get into games, so I ended up watching a number of them on tv, unfortunately), so it was fun to watch them play in person and quite a fun weekend in Seattle, from what I rememberÖ

gozagswoohoo
08-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Well, I have been to 4 games, and we've lost 3 of em, so its tough to pick my favorite. The game we won was against Tulsa, and we pretty much roughed them up, so it wasn't real exciting.

I've got to say my favorite was Zags vs Duke at MSG. I mean, come on...its MSG! ! ! That was one of the most amazing road trips of my life....sigh.

IdahZag
08-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Best game I ever saw in person :

1995 Second Round in Boise

Missouri versus UCLA

Tyus Edny

The only Zags game I've been to was in late 2000 in Moscow over Christmas Break (hardly anyone was there).

skiptheskier
08-02-2007, 02:36 PM
GU vs ARZ = Instant Classic. I was absolutely hoarse, and shaking from all the adrenaline pumping through me.

Agreed 100%. It was unreal. It was my first GU NCAA tourny game in person. Me and a few other students sat in our dorm rooms in Spokane said, "F it. were doin this!" (this would happen several more times) and drove through the night. I'll never forget it.

kclubfounder
08-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Every Zag win over UW in Seattle.

'99 NCAA over Stanford is next.

RenoZag
08-02-2007, 07:24 PM
1. Gonzaga vs. Georgia Tech at the Thomas & Mack, Las Vegas.

Great win & a great road trip; none of us needed bail (j/k)

2. Gonzaga vs. St. Mary's @ Moraga, right after the Sports Illustrated profile on Dickau was published.

That night gave me a better understanding of what the Zags face every time they play an "away" league game. GU won but those Gaels fans were in full throat the whole night.

spotucky
08-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Stanford vs. GU 2nd Round Seattle.

zzzjag
08-02-2007, 08:36 PM
I thought I was unique on this but already posted...
LMU vs. Michigan ('90 NCAA tourney in Long Beach)
Ga Tech vs Zags in Vegas
UCSB vs LMU 89/90 *Hank Gathers fainted for the first time and no one knew what was going on, Bo Kimble took over the game and scored 55 points and was unguardable.

BongKrosby
08-02-2007, 08:38 PM
In 1989, LMU played at GU and beat us like 140-137. McPhee, Spradley, Kimble, and Gathers all had 40 as I recall. Partied with Jeff Fryer and Per Stemer after the game. That was wild.

But, I'll take the underated Gu Vs Lousville game in 2000 in Tucson. That was a team that many picked to make the final 4 and we thumped them behind Richie, Matt, and Ryan Floyd.

saintzag
08-02-2007, 08:45 PM
GU v Fla 1998 in Phoenix.

GoZAGsMang
08-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Sat next to a rabid obese couple of OSU fans who were talking trash the entire game.

We just sat quietly until Ammo drained the 3. But, guess what the trash talkers ran out of the arena.

The funny thing was a bunch of OSU fans came up to us to apologize for the poor behavior of the couple sitting next to us.

Juanzaga
08-04-2007, 02:17 PM
1982 NCAA Championship game Georgetown vs. North Carolina in New Orleans. Ewing blocked everything in sight the first two minutes. I thought he would be the best player ever. I was seeing the best player ever, but he was a Freshman for Carolina and as you all know hit the game-winning jumper (Michael Jordan). So much for my ability to assess talent.

maineblackbear
08-04-2007, 06:30 PM
only seen two ncaa games live-- but one of them was GU v OSU in Battle of Seattle-- so, an easy pick, eh?
mbb

Birddog
08-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I'd have to say the GU/Wazzu game in 1965 at Bohler Gym was one of the best. Hondo was there, and likely ElVoce among others too.. We rolled down to Pullman in 3 or 4 chartered busses with kegs on board. When we unloaded, we were each given two small blocks of wood, which we clapped together endlessly during the game. Zags won, avenging our opening loss to them in the first game in Kennedy.

Birddog

bigparb
08-05-2007, 09:02 PM
GU/Memphis last year at the Arena. That was a great game and an emotional rollercoaster!!

hondo46
08-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Hondo was there indeed. My only wish would be that I would have had just 1 less beer and could remember more details of that wonderful victory on a snowy Pullman night. Lechman was back after breaking his arm early in the season and the Cougs paid the price.

TerpZag
08-06-2007, 11:27 PM
The best NCAA tournament game that I attended was the 1969 East Regional Final at Cole Field House. North Carolina beat Davidson 87-85 on a last second shot by Charlie Scott. Everyone knew that he was going to take the shot but he still made it. That was the second year in a row that the Tar Heels had defeated Davidson in the East Regional Finals.

That game was probably the high point for Davidson basketball. They were never the same after that. Ironically, Charlie Scott was recruited by Davidson but the Tar Heels won the recruiting battle in the end. Things might have been different for both programs if Scott had gone to Davidson instead. After the season, Lefty Driesell left Davidson to go to Maryland and Lefty had many more eventful games against Dean Smith and the Tar heels over the years.

The best college basketball game that I ever went to was the 1973 Super Bowl Sunday game between NC State with David Thompson and Maryland. Going into the game, NC State was 3rd ranked and Maryland was 2nd ranked and it certainly lived up to its billing. NC State won the game 87-85 on David Thompson's leaping put back when he jumped over everybody and scored the winning basket as time ran out. Cole Field House was the loudest I ever heard it from beginning to end until Thompson's basket and then it just became silent.

With 20/20 hindsight, the most historical game that I saw at Cole Field House was the 1966 NCAA Championship game between Texas Western and Kentucky. That game was before March Madness became popular and I believe that the game was not televised live but was shown later on tape only in selected cities. We were able to purchase our tickets to the Final Four at the box office the week of the tournament games. How things have changed since then. Our Country and college basketball was never the same after that game.

OregonZag5, you are right about Bill Bradley and Princeton. In the East Regionals at Cole Field House in 1965, Bill Bradley went on a scoring spree as Princeton defeated both NC State and a top 5 ranked Providence with Jimmy Walker. As you mentioned, he later went to score even more points in the Final Four games in Portland the next week.

TexasZagFan
08-07-2007, 09:19 PM
UTEP vs. UNM at the Pit, early 80's:

It was your typical nail biter, and UTEP was down by a point with about 10 seconds to go. Wayne "Soup" Campbell went to the line to shoot a one-and-one. As he attempted his first shot, a fan tossed a soft drink cup that landed on the court. Without any hesitation, the referee (Jimmy Clark, now an NBA ref) stopped play, and gave Soup a free shot. He made both free throws with 19,000+ Lobo fans screaming their heads off.

Those were the final points of that game. The next week, the NM state house passed a law that made it a misdemeanor to toss foreign objects on the field/playing area.

The one thing that made UTEP games such an event during the 80's was the quality of the WAC conference: Utah, BYU, UNM, Wyoming, San Diego State were all tough teams, and Colo. State and Hawaii could put a scare into you. Air Force was the doormat at the time. If you won out at home, and split on the road, chances are you'd win the regular season.

gamagin
08-08-2007, 05:29 AM
Best NCAA game I've ever seen. there still selling posters. Best collection of athletes and future superstars all in one place, too, short of the bigs. I can still see John thompson hugging the devastated Fred Brown at midcourt for what seemed like several minutes. class act all the way.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/longterm/memories/final4/articles/82final.htm

on best GU NCAA game, gotta be Casey's big buzzer beater.

MDABE80
08-08-2007, 01:01 PM
GU Memphis this past year was an amazing game. The best/biggest stakes, etc game I've seen was DUKE--UNLV in 1991 FF Semis in Indianapolis. Colorful yes, stakes high yes.

As far as emotional games go, I completely loved the Memphis/Zags game though. Arena was finally alive on Nat TV and the Zags wouldn't die off despite the "situation". I was exhausted. I couldn't believe that game.