PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Olynyk Story in The Province

ZagNative
12-20-2012, 04:47 PM
From The Province comes this piece on Kelly. (http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Kelly+Olynyk+evolution/7728973/story.html)
When last we left South Kamloops high school hoop star Kelly Olynyk, he was just a prospect coming off a red-shirt year who had underachieved at Gonzaga and was hoping for more playing time and better days to come.

Those better days have arrived in a hurry. But donít take it from this source, consider the words of Bruce Weber, the Kansas State head coach, after Olynyk dropped 20 points on his team in a one-sided 68-52 Zags victory at Key Arena in Seattle last Saturday night.

ďKelly Olynyk is probably one of the most improved players in the country,Ē said Weber. ďHe didnít play against us (Weber was in Illinois last season) and now heís doing major things. You take his numbers out and they shoot the same as us tonight. He was a player tonight.Ē

Heís been a player most every night and while he likely still isnít getting anywhere near the playing time he should be from coach Mark Few, who enjoys a wealth of depth, thereís little doubt Olynyk has propelled himself into NBA consideration down the road given his vast array of weapons.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Olynyk+evolution/7728973/story.html#ixzz2FeAcCGx2

ridgebackzag
12-20-2012, 04:50 PM
The image is perfect, he looks more like a man now too.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/7728974.bin

gonwick
12-20-2012, 05:38 PM
A lot of tension between Kelly and few in that piece. Wonder if they're just looking for an angle or if it is legit.

Oregonzagnut
12-20-2012, 05:57 PM
A lot of tension between Kelly and few in that piece. Wonder if they're just looking for an angle or if it is legit.

No one is exempt from Fews "death stare". Kelly has a lot to live up to with the hype. Not to mention the loss of the games to start the season. I'd imagine he is on some form of probation still so I'm glad taunting is not a violation of student life.

Thomas_Sutpen
12-20-2012, 06:22 PM

He's definitely looking for an angle...

he likely still isnít getting anywhere near the playing time he should be from coach Mark Few
According to whom? This writer implies that KO thinks so, with the "ask him" quote, but KO said no such thing. Besides, what player doesn't want to play more?

And things still arenít perfect between he and Few, the coach throwing a hissy fit on the sidelines

Obviously, journalistic objectivity has taken a holiday. If the death stare was a "hissy fit," what's Bob Knight throwing a chair across the court? Or John Chaney telling Calipari, "I'll kill you!" at a press conference?

Glad to see KO getting some press, but this guy's looking for a story that isn't there...

Knight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jc2ESr43PY

Chaney: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6jUpHClybQ

Ekrub
12-20-2012, 07:31 PM
There is also a Olynyk article on ESPN, but its only for insiders... anybody with insider mind summarizing it?

23dpg
12-20-2012, 07:49 PM
There is also a Olynyk article on ESPN, but its only for insiders... anybody with insider mind summarizing it?

Are you sure? I looked and couldn't find it.

Oregonzagnut
12-20-2012, 08:27 PM
If the death stare was a "hissy fit," what's Bob Knight throwing a chair across the court? Or John Chaney telling Calipari, "I'll kill you!" at a press conference?

HaHa!! I think the death stare is Mark Few's hissy fit. It drills holes into your soul and your spirit drifts away back to the drawing board to rebuild.

I think I'd rather take a Bobby Knight chair or a Chaney death threat.

Ekrub
12-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Are you sure? I looked and couldn't find it.

Yeah, it's titles olynyk's rise

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors/_/date/20121218#9286

(5 down)

ZagNative
12-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Here's the piece:
As a freshman in 2009-10, Gonzaga's 7-foot center Kelly Olynyk averaged 3.8 points and 2.7 rebounds a game. As a sophomore, those numbers increased only slightly to 5.8 and 3.8.

But after redshirting last year due to a minutes crunch in the frontcourt, the Canadian big man is finally getting the minutes (24.5 per game) he always hoped for and playing some great ball for the Zags. His numbers as a fourth-year junior have skyrocketed to 14.9 ppg and 6.6 rpg, and he's become one of the nation's most efficient big men shooting 68.4 percent from the floor.

Our own Andy Katz wrote yesterday that the decision to redshirt Olynyk last season, one arrived at by both the team and player, couldn't have worked out any better. Here's Katz with more on Gonzaga's rising junior.

- Joe Kaiser

Andy Katz

Olynyk's hard work is paying off

"Gonzaga coach Mark Few said Kelly Olynyk took his redshirt season incredibly seriously, charting plays and seeing how hard it was to be a coach. He learned to appreciate the game even more than he had. And it shows. I'm not sure a player has made as much use of the redshirt season as Olynyk did a year ago. He has become a go-to player for the Zags and was as impressive a frontcourt player as anyone else playing over the weekend in the win over Kansas State in Seattle."

Zaglaw
12-20-2012, 09:53 PM
He says Few "often" prefers to start Karnowski. Wasn't last night Karnowski's first start? I've felt that Few has been quite vocal in his praise of Kelly even before he played in his first game.

Baldwinzag
12-21-2012, 03:22 AM
well, that article certainly didn't do us in favors for future recruiting in British Columbia...

Zagdawg
12-21-2012, 06:52 AM
I am sure that our Canadian players will have candid discussions with any Canadian recruits that are considering coming to Gonzaga, to help debunk some of the miscues in this writers article.

Few loves Kelly and what he brings to the table and has openly provided this to writers who ask.

zagzilla
12-21-2012, 07:12 AM
Having lived in Vancouver, I can tell you that the Province is the local tabloid paper to the more traditional Vancouver Sun. It's the kind of paper with Page 3 girls and provocative headlines.

Not surprised they took some liberties to make the local hero look like a bit of a victim. Facts be damned.

ZZ

hooter73
12-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Im not a coolaid drinker on any of our guys, but im having a really hard time not salivating over what Kelly could do as a senior if his improvement doesnt level off and keeps on going. Floor shooting, even better drives, rebounding... I know its a lot to hope for but if he doesnt stop getting better and makes another off season leap.... :drool:

gamagin
12-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Having lived in Vancouver, I can tell you that the Province is the local tabloid paper to the more traditional Vancouver Sun. It's the kind of paper with Page 3 girls and provocative headlines.

Not surprised they took some liberties to make the local hero look like a bit of a victim. Facts be damned.

ZZ

consider the source. It's a shopper.

dnj116
12-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the find and providing the insider piece, ZN.

Agree with above comments on the angle taken in that Province article... Certainly trying to create some tension where none presently exists.

Mojo13
12-21-2012, 08:07 AM

ZZ

+1
Another Vancouverite here to 2nd this. The Province is a trashy rag not known for quality or objective writing. One step above a gossip rag.

rennis
12-21-2012, 08:52 AM
"All Publicity is Good Publicity"

-A Wise Man

CB4
12-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Vancouverites- I was in Canada and I was watched Global TV News for about three nights in a row. People talk about American sensationalism in the news but man that station took one story, told one side of it and called it a day. I couldn't believe it. Most of the stories on there too seemed like a propaganda piece, rather than objective journalism.

No slight against your city but I couldn't believe it. Is this common with your media or not so much?

Mojo13
12-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Vancouverites- I was in Canada and I was watched Global TV News for about three nights in a row. People talk about American sensationalism in the news but man that station took one story, told one side of it and called it a day. I couldn't believe it. Most of the stories on there too seemed like a propaganda piece, rather than objective journalism.

No slight against your city but I couldn't believe it. Is this common with your media or not so much?

Global is our version of TMZ. Really it is commonly understood that Global is a joke of a station. It is usually tough to navigate while in a new country but the Province and Global are the bottom of the barrel for objective news in Vancouver. Unfortunately this is common eveywhere you go nowadays. The U.S. has Fox and MSNBC to be ashamed of.
I pretty much hit the interwebs searching for unbiased news.
Perhaps the CBC is the best in Canada, but many would still argue (rightly) that it contains a hefty dose of state-media propaganda and bias.

canzag
12-22-2012, 08:21 AM
The guy who wrote the article is always on the players side if you will.If its hockey,player needs more ice time,coach sucks for playing him less type stuff.I have heard him on local radio (team 1040)for the last 3 years hint that Kelly is unhappy but never reveal his source hiding behind the I am a reporter so O i wont.Kelly is having a great season but he choses to find something negative to add.That is just his style.

thespywhozaggedme
12-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Global is our version of TMZ. Really it is commonly understood that Global is a joke of a station. It is usually tough to navigate while in a new country but the Province and Global are the bottom of the barrel for objective news in Vancouver. Unfortunately this is common eveywhere you go nowadays. The U.S. has Fox and MSNBC to be ashamed of. I pretty much hit the interwebs searching for unbiased news.
Perhaps the CBC is the best in Canada, but many would still argue (rightly) that it contains a hefty dose of state-media propaganda and bias.

Specifically what for? How often do you watch FNC?

BobZag
12-22-2012, 10:28 AM
I hear Few fought Kelly in a 12 round MMA pay-per-view spectacle. Few bit Kelly's ankles while Kelly pounded down on Few's head. Gradually, Kelly's ankles weakened and Few got the TKO in the 10th!

Rangerzag
12-22-2012, 11:18 AM
I hear Few fought Kelly in a 12 round MMA pay-per-view spectacle. Few bit Kelly's ankles while Kelly pounded down on Few's head. Gradually, Kelly's ankles weakened and Few got the TKO in the 10th!

Link?? :)

gamagin
12-22-2012, 12:56 PM

small fist indentations in KO's cup as well, before it was called . . .