PDA

View Full Version : OT = Jabari Parker picks Duke

CDC84
12-20-2012, 12:43 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-12-20/jabari-parker-duke-michigan-state-duke-florida-recruit

Close but no cigar for BYU.

jazzdelmar
12-20-2012, 12:50 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-12-20/jabari-parker-duke-michigan-state-duke-florida-recruit

big surprise........his only choice...K will make him even better and adjust his style to fit the young man....

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-20-2012, 01:20 PM
And folks in Utah are now believing the Mayan prophecies.

Just_An_Old_Zag
12-20-2012, 01:27 PM
I am having Kyle Wiltjer deja vu...

webspinnre
12-20-2012, 01:51 PM
I am having Kyle Wiltjer deja vu...

What? Why? Parker has had Duke as a top pick forever.

jazzdelmar
12-20-2012, 02:20 PM
the real question is why didnt we get a sniff from anthony bennett, who chose an inferior program as compared w kyle and jabari.

BobZag
12-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Kybongo ruled ineligible all season.

Oregonzagnut
12-20-2012, 02:36 PM
No insult to BYU. They knew it was about as long a shot as was possible. When Parker said he wasn't going to do a Mormon mission, I knew BYU was out. He said it in a nice way, implying he could do it later. But the fact is the best teams get the best recruits, so it is no wonder #1 gets #1.

Parity...... HA! Thats a hoot.

ZagMan in Philly
12-20-2012, 03:57 PM
the real question is why didnt we get a sniff from anthony bennett, who chose an inferior program as compared w kyle and jabari.

Hopefully if and when GU is in the new basketball league (big east), we will start to get some big time super dandy mcdonald's all americans.

bostonzagfan
12-20-2012, 04:19 PM
he is going to be an nba stuf imo. should be #1 player over wiggins, would probably have been #1 in class of 2012 if he was in it. In fact, I heard he would have been a top-10 pick after his jr yr of hs.

MDABE80
12-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Good pick. I've not had the chance t see him play. He sounds like he's ALL world though. Best wishes to him. Sounds like an ideal kid anywhere he goes.

sittingon50
12-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Think I'll wander over to the BYU board........

combatcorpsmangulaw
12-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Duke, and the other elite basketball programs, PICK the best of the lot because the school gets a shot at all the best high school prospects. Duke is then the laboratory for the NBA --- if the kid plays very well at Duke, the Pros offer him wealth for the rest of his life to jump to the pros.

Meanwhile, Duke et al. move on to the next crop of McDonald all-americans and the beat goes on. Gonzaga will never be there and I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

Oregonzagnut
12-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Duke, and the other elite basketball programs, PICK the best of the lot because the school gets a shot at all the best high school prospects. Duke is then the laboratory for the NBA --- if the kid plays very well at Duke, the Pros offer him wealth for the rest of his life to jump to the pros.

Meanwhile, Duke et al. move on to the next crop of McDonald all-americans and the beat goes on. Gonzaga will never be there and I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

I wouldn't mind being close to that level though. Without compromising an education mission and ethics, I think Coach K embodies that given the fact he has assumed he is teaching kids to become professional basketball players. that is his role and he does so without sleazy tactics or cheating. I think Few embodies those same ideals and would be a great teacher for the aspiring NBA kids. In a way he already is and we are "close" to being the type of program, but we get a few 2-3 and doners. Not 1 and doners.

If we can maintain our integrity, ethics and educational standards, I would be OK with Gonzaga getting a 1 and doner per year.

Zag@LMU
12-20-2012, 09:10 PM

A person would have to be kidding themselves if they thought that Gonzaga would not want Jabari Parker even if hes one and done. Truth is, they dont want us, not the other way around.

SweetOnionZag
12-21-2012, 03:36 AM

Cigars are an "honor code" violation......They are still pleased with next years recruiting class as they have 3 members of the #1 ranked (MaxPreps) high school team (Lone Pine HS aka "BYU Prep") in the nation. A couple of days ago, they destroyed #3 (Chester) in a game in Florida, 70-52. They won't have to spend much more $$ on printing their new roster as two of the recruits have names common to Provo....Haws and Emery.....

webspinnre
12-21-2012, 08:22 AM

Yeah, as long as the player is a solid student and good kid, I'd take a one-and-done any day of the week.

ZagLawGrad
12-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Think I'll wander over to the BYU board........

Report back, please. That's a hard board to read, so appreciate you cutting through it for us.

JPtheBeasta
12-21-2012, 09:17 AM

Decent read:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8760254/unlv-anthony-bennett-leads-our-weekly-look-nation-college-basketball

ESPN makes it sound like Khem Birch to UNLV had a significant influence.

cjm720
12-21-2012, 09:21 AM

Never say never. The path this program has taken, and the respect that Coach Few has, makes me believe we will continue to rise. Let's touch base in 20 years!

CDC84
12-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Cigars are an "honor code" violation

I just knew someone would point this out :)

sittingon50
12-21-2012, 10:19 AM
when I visited most of the talk was about the Lone Pine HS team that OnionZag referenced. Not sure if the game was being played at that moment or had recently completed, but dominated the talk. Some stuff about Mr. Parker; very very little throwing him under the bus.

*I agree, that board is hard to navigate.

ZagsGoZags
12-21-2012, 08:28 PM
I just spent some time looking for the BYU board
I am not that good at finding that sort of thing ....
lots of great articles though

anybody willing to generously provide a link to it for those of us still awkward on computer searching?

maynard g krebs
12-21-2012, 08:53 PM

Sounds more like UK to me. Looks like Duke gets a few elite one and done superathletes, but more of the top 50 type, 3-4 year guys who fit the system. And by choice- it seems like Coach K would rather build a team than get a roster of 1 and dones every yr. That said, true that GU rarely gets one of the top 50 guys that are the bulk of Duke's roster

BTB
12-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Sounds more like UK to me. Looks like Duke gets a few elite one and done superathletes, but more of the top 50 type, 3-4 year guys who fit the system. And by choice- it seems like Coach K would rather build a team than get a roster of 1 and dones every yr. That said, true that GU rarely gets one of the top 50 guys that are the bulk of Duke's roster

Exactly. Coach K basically hand-picks the players he want who he knows will fit his system and stick around for a while. He snags a one and done player occasionally when he has a player leaving and doesn't have an immediate replacement in hand.

ZagLawGrad
12-21-2012, 09:45 PM
when I visited most of the talk was about the Lone Pine HS team that OnionZag referenced. Not sure if the game was being played at that moment or had recently completed, but dominated the talk. Some stuff about Mr. Parker; very very little throwing him under the bus.

*I agree, that board is hard to navigate.

Thanks! Will ask you to do the same on the Dons Board when we play 'em. ;)

ZagaZags
12-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Kybongo ruled ineligible all season.

Kybongo will be back in Feb. 2013