PDA

View Full Version : Campbell Second Half

sheps001
12-20-2012, 07:04 AM
I think it was 49 to 24 in the first half and we were cruising to a blow out but then in the second half they came alive and the final score was 74-52. I know there is a let down in these cases but am I seeing a pattern of a second half defensive let down especially with the three?? I saw this in Illinois and I saw it here and I hope we don't see it again as we are playing two good teams in a row.

zagzilla
12-20-2012, 07:18 AM
That was some uninspired play in the second half.

Campbell got a little hotter and hit some tough shots from outside to close the gap some. It was actually hard for me to watch the last 12 minutes of the game last night.

The outcome was decided, the building was dead, the Zags were going through the motions. Not sure how I'd react to this game as a coach.

We'll see a different level of intensity vs. Baylor, I'm sure

ZZ

cjm720
12-20-2012, 07:39 AM
A bad second half. We cannot let this happen, regardless of opposition. A pause for concern, for sure.

jazzdelmar
12-20-2012, 07:50 AM
inexplicable. holiday charity towards the camels is only satisfactory answer, otherwise a very scary performance.

FlyZag
12-20-2012, 08:05 AM
They scored 24 in the first half and 28 in the second...

It was more our TURNOVERS and poor shooting than the camel toes getting hot.

spike_jr
12-20-2012, 08:15 AM
I think we chalk it up to: inferior competition (sorry Campbell), a quiet MAC (and no students), just after finals, and Baylor on the horizon. I do not have much concern moving forward

GonzaGAW
12-20-2012, 08:19 AM
have we ever in past 12 years had a team with a killer instinct? that plays hard inspired ball for a full 40 minutes?

maybe one or two teams? but it sure seems to be something systemic with our program. we play just good enough to win and or play down to the competition. and then when we play a top flight team we do not match their intensity, (evidence our 12 turnovers in the first half against illinios, which is what cost us the game).

love you zags, but i would like to see more out of you.

kitzbuel
12-20-2012, 08:21 AM
They scored 24 in the first half and 28 in the second...

It was more our TURNOVERS and poor shooting than the camel toes getting hot.
Yeah, not sure that reflects a defensive let down, either.

Reborn
12-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Sam Dower was a disgrace to the uniform he wears. Can't tell me he was sick again, can you? PK however, continues to impress me. He worked his butt off last night.

titopoet
12-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Credit the Camels. The score was 60-31; it became garbage time. The guys starting fooling around and taking shots they would normally not. They also became lazy in D rotations. It happens in most blowouts, but the team getting wax usually goes into garbage time themselves and trying crazy shots and trying to do too much. The things even out and the score continues to go south even in garbage time.The Camels stayed disciplined and keep playing like a team on defense and offense even in the blowout, hence their cutting the score.

It really says more about them, than GU. Also, they did the same thing in their loss to Cincinnati. They seem to play hard and as a team no matter the score.

For a young team, this bodes well. In a few years they may find themselves in the NCAA. (14 seed or so)

Zagdawg
12-20-2012, 08:41 AM
About the disgrace comment -- gotta say WOW.

Just keeping it in perspective as players parents and relatives read these boards.

Merry Christmas.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Sam Dower was a disgrace to the uniform he wears. Can't tell me he was sick again, can you?

C'mon, man. Not cool.

john montana
12-20-2012, 08:48 AM
I watched two games yesterday...ours and Duke's. The difference was shocking. Duke went on something like a 41-4 run at one point in the second half, there was no let up at any point in their game, despite the holiday talk and the game clearly being over. I wouldn't freak out about the campbell game, but I do wish we would have finished with more intensity.

ZagnetitForce
12-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Wow, not much Christmas spirit in some on this thread. Zags played just as hard as they needed to and came out with a nice victory and didn't shove it in the face of a very game Campbell team. GUys have been working this arses off for a few months now and were/are looking forward to some time off.

As for killer instinct....ummmm, check out the WVA game again.

And as for Dower...oh brother. Half the team is having a bit of a hard time at it right now. How awesome were you day in and day out when you were 19?

I suppose you want to "Cancel Christmas" as well. Gesh.

Goshzagit
12-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Sam Dower was a disgrace to the uniform he wears. Can't tell me he was sick again, can you? PK however, continues to impress me. He worked his butt off last night.

Dower got knocked on his duff early in the 1st half with Campbell pushing him around.

If the opposing team is overly physical with Sam or actually knocks him down to the floor, it completely throws him off his game, his focus, and his trademarked "pouty face" goes into full force w/o fail. And you all know exactly what I'm talking about...

If he gets fouled or hit hard, he looks like someone stole something from him.

Not a bad thing, its just his nature. Doesn't respond to the pressure or the physicality very well.

sheps001
12-20-2012, 09:03 AM
I watched two games yesterday...ours and Duke's. The difference was shocking. Duke went on something like a 41-4 run at one point in the second half, there was no let up at any point in their game, despite the holiday talk and the game clearly being over. I wouldn't freak out about the campbell game, but I do wish we would have finished with more intensity.
I agree. Our team has to remain disciplined, focused and must play with intensity (heart) and then anything is possible. It's not like to old days when we didn't have much of a rotation and got gassed. Its when we lose any of the three either because of the opposition or ourselves that we lose. If we do all of the above we can play with anyone.

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Maybe. This will make you all feel better...

http://www.hipsaurus.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/c/screen_shot_2012-07-11_at_12.36.26_pm.png

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-20-2012, 09:22 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Rs53-MPsJaI/S9KurwvLk9I/AAAAAAAARNc/VfXMewWCKvQ/s1600/q340x.jpg

Oregonzagnut
12-20-2012, 09:24 AM
If I had to reflect way way back, I cannot think of a more disturbing half ever. Even against Duke and Syracuse where we kinda accepted the fact we were going to lose we never were as disjointed and awkward. But those were losses. The second half was just odd.

Awkward is the best word I can find.

Reborn
12-20-2012, 09:24 AM
GUys have been working this arses off for a few months now and were/are looking forward to some time off.

And as for Dower...oh brother. Half the team is having a bit of a hard time at it right now. How awesome were you day in and day out when you were 19?

You make it sound like the Zags should be given a special Christmas gift for working the butts off. How many teams, who are serious about the game and their season, do you think are working their butts off?

I promise you that I never played like Sam did in the second half of the game last night. I would not have made it in high school if I had played with that kind of effort. I had a great high school coach who just would never have tolerated that kind of attitidue exhibited by SaM.

This is a basketball forum where people come to discuss the Zags' basketball games. Most of do not discuss Christmas here, and honestly Christmas has nothing to do with the game last night. Why can't you and others engage in a discussion or debate about a game. Why do you expect us all to be like you?

TheZagPhish
12-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Say the team was a little slack, so what? I'll take the W along with the understanding that this game just doesn't mean much.

And come on Reborn... Sam has more than earned his place in that jersey. His play may have been somewhat uninspired, but he is a great player and solid Zag. Using the term disgrace was over the top.

TheZagPhish
12-20-2012, 09:36 AM
http://f.cl.ly/items/0e3S2n360I3X1I3H1e35/tacos-explosion.jpeg

bigblahla
12-20-2012, 09:38 AM
My first real response to the 2nd half was yelling at the TV when Edi threw up the soft short jumper on the break from Pangos instead of finishing at the rim and it didn't even get close, wide open shot.

My final analysis after looking at the box score was 10 Zags got at least 15 minutes and the game was over in the first half. Had Coach thought Campbell was indeed playing themselves back in the game we would have seen a different rotation as far as minutes played goes in the 2nd half. Unlike board members I don't think he felt the need for a 30-40 plus point margin.

Our issues over the season probably won't change some teams will be match-up hell some won't. Sometimes our shots will drop like raindrops and there will be times we'll swear there actually is a lid on the basket. Playing focused "D" when it counts will be our saving grace or the lack thereof our biggest deficiency.

Seriously Reborn your comment was over the top, you're a much better Zag fan than that.

LIZF it's almost time for some Koolaid. :D

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

zag944
12-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Dower is a great guy that took a redshirt and played as a much needed offensive spark off the bench for two years. I think he is having a really hard time adjusting to the fact that he's bumped from what most expected to be our 2nd best big man to arguably our 4th. I'm not going to fault him for seeming a little down, and Im sure he'll pick it up with a good game soon.

jazzdelmar
12-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Credit the Camels. The score was 60-31; it became garbage time. The guys starting fooling around and taking shots they would normally not. They also became lazy in D rotations. It happens in most blowouts, but the team getting wax usually goes into garbage time themselves and trying crazy shots and trying to do too much. The things even out and the score continues to go south even in garbage time.The Camels stayed disciplined and keep playing like a team on defense and offense even in the blowout, hence their cutting the score.

It really says more about them, than GU. Also, they did the same thing in their loss to Cincinnati. They seem to play hard and as a team no matter the score.

For a young team, this bodes well. In a few years they may find themselves in the NCAA. (14 seed or so)

isnt that what a well paid coach is supposed to prevent? please....

jazzdelmar
12-20-2012, 09:43 AM

dower has about as low a motor as we have ever seen...

jazzdelmar
12-20-2012, 09:47 AM

kinda fruitless comparing GU -- any team actually -- to the Dookies. Thats why they win and why K is the best. Stevens does same and is #2 and will prob succeed K.

zag944
12-20-2012, 09:51 AM
isnt that what a well paid coach is supposed to prevent? please....

There's a well paid coach on the other side of the state losing home games to Albany and Colorado State. There's well paid coaches all over the nation that arent making more than a dozen tournaments in a row.

We win the game by 32 points and our backup center and coach still get trashed. Sheesh.

zag944
12-20-2012, 09:52 AM
I guess we are spoiled.

ZagnetitForce
12-20-2012, 09:52 AM
You make it sound like the Zags should be given a special Christmas gift for working the butts off. How many teams, who are serious about the game and their season, do you think are working their butts off?

I promise you that I never played like Sam did in the second half of the game last night. I would not have made it in high school if I had played with that kind of effort. I had a great high school coach who just would never have tolerated that kind of attitidue exhibited by SaM.

This is a basketball forum where people come to discuss the Zags' basketball games. Most of do not discuss Christmas here, and honestly Christmas has nothing to do with the game last night. Why can't you and others engage in a discussion or debate about a game. Why do you expect us all to be like you?

Huh? I was just making some points I thought were fair. Using Christmas as kind of a fun way to tie in the time of year. Cancel Christmas was a quote from Robin Hood by the great Alan Rickman that I thought was kind of funny.

Anywho.......

CDC84
12-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Kind of hard to maintain your energy during a blow out. The atmosphere was totally dead last night.

sheps001
12-20-2012, 10:03 AM
kinda fruitless comparing GU -- any team actually -- to the Dookies. Thats why they win and why K is the best. Stevens does same and is #2 and will prob succeed K.
Great Point especially about Stevens! Keep em coming.

upan8th
12-20-2012, 10:09 AM
SMOKED by Camels in second half. Gotta kick that habit!

BroncoZAG615
12-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Everyone realizes that last night was the equivalent to an exhibition game played in front of a tea-and-crumpets crowd, oh, and that the Zags were up 25 at halftime.

Butler beat Elon by 15 points and Hanover by 24 points. I wonder if Brad Stevens had every one of his players exerting 150% focus and energy in those games. Just because you watch them beat Indiana, it doesn't mean they aren't human. Unfortunately, I almost feel like some of the more vocal posters in this thread are rooting for Butler to beat Gonzaga so they can continue the 'Mark Few is no Brad Stevens' agenda. I hope we wax them but, then again, you'll all find a way to "yeah, but" your way out of it.

Enjoy the holidays, stop freaking out about the Campbell Fighting Camels.

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Four cheers for over the top kvetching...

http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/commercials/2008/5/campbells-tinnies.jpg

cjm720
12-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Kind of hard to maintain your energy during a blow out. The atmosphere was totally dead last night.

No excuse. Play hard 100% or ride the pine. It's a proven winning formula. Why take a break?

007Zag
12-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Everyone realizes that last night was the equivalent to an exhibition game played in front of a tea-and-crumpets crowd, oh, and that the Zags were up 25 at halftime.

Butler beat Elon by 15 points and Hanover by 24 points. I wonder if Brad Stevens had every one of his players exerting 150% focus and energy in those games. Just because you watch them beat Indiana, it doesn't mean they aren't human. Unfortunately, I almost feel like some of the more vocal posters in this thread are rooting for Butler to beat Gonzaga so they can continue the 'Mark Few is no Brad Stevens' agenda. I hope we wax them but, then again, you'll all find a way to "yeah, but" your way out of it.

Enjoy the holidays, stop freaking out about the Campbell Fighting Camels.

+1

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-20-2012, 10:24 AM
http://www.slapupsidethehead.com/wp-content/media/2009/01/soup-gandhi.jpg

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Maybe they need this....
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5174IUcMghL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

sittingon50
12-20-2012, 10:28 AM
I normally can't read your comments because I've had you on my ignore list for some time. Unfortunately, when someone else quotes you I see it.

For you to say Sam is a disgrace to the uniform is way over the line. I hope you won't be offended if I ask you to pull your head out of your ass or please just go away.

Happy Holidays.

zaguarxj
12-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Is there any way to give a thread zero stars? One star doesn't seem low enough to me.

BroncoZAG615
12-20-2012, 10:33 AM
No excuse. Play hard 100% or ride the pine. It's a proven winning formula. Why take a break?

That's great to live by. Unfortunately, it simply ins't realistic. The reason I am posting right now is because I'm giving less than 100% at my job. And I get paid. Expecting balls out performances each night, every night must leave you incredibly unsatisfied.

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2012, 10:38 AM
I wonder if they like Piņa Coladas and getting caught in the rain?

U Zig, I Zag
12-20-2012, 10:47 AM
1) we won, nobody got hurt (that I know of)
2) Few is probably pissed at the quality of play in the 2nd half.

In prepping for Baylor they won't talk about 1. Few won't let them forget 2.

HillBillyZag
12-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Campbell's best scorer, a Senior, averaging over 20 ppg is out with an injury, and they played a lot of underclassmen. In spite of that , their kids ran their offfense, played hard, and showed the Zags that we have areas that need improvement. If several of our more skilled players listened to their coach, did as they were told, and played as hard?, they would be getting more minutes. The Camel fans can take pride in their team, they earned this Zag fan's RESPECT!

Pargo the Destroyer
12-20-2012, 10:48 AM
I wonder if they like Piņa Coladas and getting caught in the rain?

Or makin love at midnight? This thread just got so awesome.

Tacos.

Reborn
12-20-2012, 11:12 AM
I normally can't read your comments because I've had you on my ignore list for some time. Unfortunately, when someone else quotes you I see it.

For you to say Sam is a disgrace to the uniform is way over the line. I hope you won't be offended if I ask you to pull your head out of your ass or please just go away.

Happy Holidays.

Do you actually think I care what you say to me, or that you might influence what I have to say on this open forum? If I understand the guidlines of this forum, your post should never have been allowed to be posted. Your vulgar language aimed at me, a member of this board, is in fact against board rules. And please, don't be such a phony hipocrite and wish me a happy holidays after telling me to get my head out of my ass. I know what you think about me, and please don't try to try to play the nice guy and wish me a Happy Holidays......

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Do you actually think I care what you say to me, or that you might influence what I have to say on this open forum? If I understand the guidlines of this forum, your post should never have been allowed to be posted. Your vulgar language aimed at me, a member of this board, is in fact against board rules. And please, don't be such a phony hipocrite and wish me a happy holidays after telling me to get my head out of my ass. I know what you think about me, and please don't try to try to play the nice guy and wish me a Happy Holidays......

http://i.imgur.com/OPKFC.gif

77Zag
12-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Peace on Earth -- Goodwill towards man

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-20-2012, 11:21 AM

So you can't use harsh language towards another poster, but it's okay to call a player a disgrace?

cjm720
12-20-2012, 11:22 AM
That's great to live by. Unfortunately, it simply ins't realistic. The reason I am posting right now is because I'm giving less than 100% at my job. And I get paid. Expecting balls out performances each night, every night must leave you incredibly unsatisfied.

Your tone is why I don't read your site anymore. You are so superior to everyone, it must really annoy you.

I'm not sorry to have high expectations.

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2012, 11:23 AM
http://washingtonbus.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/taco-baby-3.jpg?w=655

zagitup
12-20-2012, 11:24 AM

Let's see...ignore list...ahhh, there it is! He gets to join the guy who hoped Meech would blow a knee out. :vomit-smiley-007:

TheZagPhish
12-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Your tone is why I don't read your site anymore. You are so superior to everyone, it must really annoy you.

Speaking of high expectations, should I be worried about the herbal infusions of Christmas cookies at the various parties I attend around Washington State this year?

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-20-2012, 11:25 AM
http://washingtonbus.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/taco-baby-3.jpg?w=655

Yes!!!

Zagdawg
12-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Some people just need a little reminder to pop it out occasionally for air-- otherwise they can only focus on the negative and are no longer connected with the big picture.

Posters can have their opinions and verbalize them.....it's more about the delivery than the message.

Some other options for "XXXX is a disgrace to the uniform" include:

"XXXX could have had a better night"
"XXXX did not have a perfect/very good night tonight"

You get my drift.

These are our boys......and we are one Zag family.

Would you say the same line to your son/brother/sister about their son? If not--then why would you say it about someone elses son?

And Happy Holidays.......

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Feliz Navidad to all....
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kptlu909ZZ1qzqvm2o1_500.jpg

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Some people just need a little reminder to pop it out occasionally for air-- otherwise they can only focus on the negative and are no longer connected with the big picture.

Posters can have their opinions and verbalize them.....it's more about the delivery than the message.

You get my drift.

Would you say the same line to your son/brother/sister about their son? If not--then why would you say it about someone elses son?

Well said.

gozagswoohoo
12-20-2012, 11:46 AM
You know, we had this huge fuss like 10 days ago about people calling eachother names...and I really didn't get involved in that mess. My thoughts on that are, this is a message board, we're all (mostly) adults in here, and as long as it's just a little playful banter, we should be able to just get over it or at least not get TOO worked up over that stuff.

BUT....I'll say this....I think it IS a problem when things are being said on this board that I would feel bad to know one of our players read it... (that sentence sounded jumbled, but I think you know what I mean).

Edited to add: Woohoo is a D-bag and his breath smells like goat armpits. -Love Francis

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2012, 11:47 AM
You know, we had this huge fuss like 10 days ago about people calling eachother names...and I really didn't get involved in that mess. My thoughts on that are, this is a message board, we're all (mostly) adults in here, and as long as it's just a little playful banter, we should be able to just get over it or at least not get TOO worked up over that stuff.

BUT....I'll say this....I think it IS a problem when things are being said on this board that I would feel bad to know one of our players read it... (that sentence sounded jumbled, but I think you know what I mean).

Edited to add: Woohoo is a D-bag and his breath smells like goat armpits. -Love Francis

+taco

CDC84
12-20-2012, 11:50 AM

I honestly feel you're making an issue out of nothing. The game was over by halftime. The coaches were experimenting with odd lineups, running different plays and doing all sorts of things to just eat up the remaining time on the clock. If the Zags hadn't destroyed them in the first half and had allowed them to stay in the game, well, then I think you have a reason for concern.

freejoe69
12-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Problem is, Woohoo, that posts like Reborn's aren't playful, they're just mean. I have way less emotion invested in Gonzaga basketball than most of the folks on here, but #### like he's throwing around disgusts me. Voce kept telling me to put him on Ignore, but you know the deal about moths and flame...

gozagswoohoo
12-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Problem is, Woohoo, that posts like Reborn's aren't playful, they're just mean. I have way less emotion invested in Gonzaga basketball than most of the folks on here, but #### like he's throwing around disgusts me. Voce kept telling me to put him on Ignore, but you know the deal about moths and flame...

I was basically saying the name calling between posters a week or so ago was playful, because I agree with you, the comment about Dower was NOT playful, and I'd be very embarassed as a member of this forum if Dower ends up reading that...

Honestly, I don't care if people call me names. Back in high school, people used to call me Skeletor, Acne-Face guy, and the buck-toothed wonder. Big deal. Who cares, I'm a big boy. BUT....call my FRIEND a name, and it's ON!! That's kinda how I feel in this situation...

cjm720
12-20-2012, 11:58 AM
I honestly feel you're making an issue out of nothing. The game was over by halftime, and I honestly didn't see this lack of effort that some people are talking about. The coaches were experimenting with odd lineups, running different plays and doing all sorts of things to just eat up the remaining time on the clock. If the Zags hadn't destroyed them in the first half and had allowed them to stay in the game, well, then I think you have a reason for concern.

My response was to your comment:

Originally Posted by CDC84

I don't think a "dead" atmosphere is an excuse to not play at 100% We have the depth, we should have put up 90+ points last night but we got lazy, played horribly in the second half.

I contend that in order to win a championship, we need to play at full energy, full concentration 100% of the time. The second half of last night's game was an example of how we didn't do that. It doesn't make me dislike the team but it certainly is a cause for some concern, regardless of the opponent, environment, or how well we played in the first half.

cjm720
12-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Back in high school, people used to call me Skeletor, Acne-Face guy, and the buck-toothed wonder.

You certainly did well with the Mrs!

FlyZag
12-20-2012, 12:02 PM

Um... what do goat armpits smell like?

TheZagPhish
12-20-2012, 12:03 PM

Taco Bell.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-20-2012, 12:03 PM

Like Tim Tebow.

TheZagPhish
12-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Taco Bell.
Like Tim Tebow.

Same page.

gozagswoohoo
12-20-2012, 12:11 PM

Hey thanks! I WOULD say she married me for the money, but I have none. Then I would say she married me for my wisdom, but I'm no brainiac. Then I would say she married me for my looks, but again, reference the skeletor story.

So...my only guess is that she married me for my MS Paint skills. There is nothing else.

Birddog
12-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Have you or has anyone ever seen Woohoo with the Mrs in real life? Has Woohoo ever been known to photoshop?
Just askin'?

ID ZAGFAN
12-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Have you or has anyone ever seen Woohoo with the Mrs in real life? Has Woohoo ever been known to photoshop?
Just askin'?

Yes, I have seen them in person--Las Vegas 2011. And yes, he has been known to photoshop--but absolutely not in this instance! :D

ZaGranny

BroncoZAG615
12-20-2012, 12:22 PM

I was expecting this thread to be closed after lunch (sorry, took a lunch break, wasn't giving 100%).

I actually don't have a superior attitude. In fact, one could ague that you clamoring for 100% all the time, every time is mildly to extremely superior.

Big picture, it is important to note the facts:
- Gonzaga was up 25 points at halftime
- Gonzaga won the game (we all know that, right?)
- Gonzaga is still the 14th best team in the country
- No players for Gonzaga were injured during the game

Look, in the next month, this thread will be moot because we'll know if this whole thing is truly an issue or if it was the spawn of some bored folks around the holidays.

LongIslandZagFan
12-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Don't make us go beyond the tacos... Just sayin.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-20-2012, 12:24 PM

Can somebody just assign Francis his own profile? He's the best poster on this board.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-20-2012, 12:30 PM
I have a hard time faulting a team for lackluster second-half effort in a blowout against an inferior opponent. It is sometimes considered poor sportsmanship to drive an opponent into the ground after the game is decided. Some players turn it down a notch out of a sense of decency to their opponents.

I turned the game off at halftime, because the game was obviously not going to be competitive.

cjm720
12-20-2012, 12:42 PM
I was expecting this thread to be closed after lunch (sorry, took a lunch break, wasn't giving 100%).

I actually don't have a superior attitude. In fact, one could ague that you clamoring for 100% all the time, every time is mildly to extremely superior.

Big picture, it is important to note the facts:
- Gonzaga was up 25 points at halftime
- Gonzaga won the game (we all know that, right?)
- Gonzaga is still the 14th best team in the country
- No players for Gonzaga were injured during the game

Look, in the next month, this thread will be moot because we'll know if this whole thing is truly an issue or if it was the spawn of some bored folks around the holidays.

What practice would lead to a better program overall?

1) A team gives full effort during a game
or
2) A team lets up a bit because it's a blow out

That's my point. And I doubt many coaches would argue with me.

FrancisTheGoat
12-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Can somebody just assign Francis his own profile? He's the best poster on this board.

I dont like post cuz i readed the bored rulz and i am pretty sure i will brake them when i post. Becuase i am very very quite mischevious goat.

I just like hacking woohoo's profile and screwing things up. I signs him up 4 a $30 recurring monthly charge for midget pornography lik 4 months ago. He still has no cancelled it. Either he likes it, or he just hasnt noticed the charges yet.

john montana
12-20-2012, 01:15 PM
My final analysis after looking at the box score was 10 Zags got at least 15 minutes and the game was over in the first half. Had Coach thought Campbell was indeed playing themselves back in the game we would have seen a different rotation as far as minutes played goes in the 2nd half. Unlike board members I don't think he felt the need for a 30-40 plus point margin.

I'm with you here...i wasn't happy with the overall intensity, but at least we didn't play our key guys 31 minutes in an attempt to pad stats and blow an obviously overmatched team out by 50 points.

Everyone on the floor should play hard every play (see the duke game and their bench). I don't think we played real hard in the second half. Again, not the end of the world, but I would have liked to see more intensity.

john montana
12-20-2012, 01:16 PM

Agreed.

zaguarxj
12-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Don't make us go beyond the tacos... Just sayin.'tis the season for tamales....

IrishZagFan
12-20-2012, 01:50 PM
'tis the season for tamales....

http://thefanaticalswordsman.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/tamales.jpg?w=595

IrishZagFan
12-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Hey Francis,

If you see WooHoo and the Mrs.... Tell them Merry Christmas for Irish will ya?

Also, I have a card for you.....

http://goatberries.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/IMG_1632wtmk.jpg

ID ZAGFAN
12-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Don't tell Francis, but there is a food truck on the cooking channel right now serving a goat sandwich they call "The Devil's Breath Mint"

Big-Ass Sandwiches Portland OR

Big-Ass Sandwiches
‏@bigasssandwich
"The Devil's Breath Mint" starts tomorrow. Slow cooked goat in garlic chili sauce, raw onions, poblano coleslaw, fries & @Secret_Aardvark $9
Reply Retweet Favorite More
RETWEETS

ZaGranny

FrancisTheGoat
12-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Hey Francis,

If you see WooHoo and the Mrs.... Tell them Merry Christmas for Irish will ya?

Also, I have a card for you.....

http://goatberries.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/IMG_1632wtmk.jpg

OOO LA LA! And what is HER name??

Oh, and I'll tell Woohoo and his fam for sure....AS I STARE AT THEM WHILE THEY SLEEP.

BobZag
12-20-2012, 02:23 PM
don't tell francis, but there is a food truck on the cooking channel right now serving a goat sandwich they call "the devil's breath mint"

big-ass sandwiches portland or

big-ass sandwiches
‏@bigasssandwich
"the devil's breath mint" starts tomorrow. Slow cooked goat in garlic chili sauce, raw onions, poblano coleslaw, fries & @secret_aardvark $9
reply retweet favorite more
retweets

zagranny

lol!

FrancisTheGoat
12-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Don't tell Francis, but there is a food truck on the cooking channel right now serving a goat sandwich they call "The Devil's Breath Mint"

Big-Ass Sandwiches Portland OR

Big-Ass Sandwiches
‏@bigasssandwich
"The Devil's Breath Mint" starts tomorrow. Slow cooked goat in garlic chili sauce, raw onions, poblano coleslaw, fries & @Secret_Aardvark $9
Reply Retweet Favorite More
RETWEETS

ZaGranny

GASP! I love you brottheerrrrrr!!

Reborn
12-20-2012, 02:41 PM

You get my drift.

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions. I guess you and I have a different understanding of what a family is; and I would imagine we come from different kinds of families. We did use these type of statements in my family and at GU when I played there. In my family we did call each other names sometimes, and even got in fights with each other. These things were accepted and it NEVER meant we didn't love each other or felt
a lack of brotherhood in our family.

When I played at GU there were times when there were fist fights in practices, and some name calling. Tempers sometimes got heated. There were times during a game when a player or two would tell me that if I didn't start passing them the ball more that they'd beat my -------- head in. I just ignored them. It was a common thing to have heated name calling. Finally, I think last week a player said that there were fist fights in practice and that they were very intense. I could easily imagine a player on this year's team telling a fellow player who was loafing that they're an embarrassment to the name on their Jersey.

I believe that for many players, to have that kind of confronting name pointed at you, would not mean to them what it does to you and others. I believe it's interpreted by players to simply mean, "you'd better change your attitude on the court or you'll be pulling some pine out of your a--." I'm not sure what kind of a family Sam Dower comes from, but if my statement was offensive to Sam's parents or brothers and sisters and relatives I apologize. If it made Sam feel hurt, or abused or even disliked as a person or player I apologize. I simply felt his play in the last few minutes of the game sucked.

And if I have to stop having the freedom to post the way I do, then I would rather leave this board. There was already an attempt some years ago to get me thrown out of GUboards, and I guess there is still some who continue to feel that way.

Yes! Merry Christmas

Go Zags

GhostZag
12-20-2012, 02:46 PM
It would appear Francis has one horn, a birds beak, is not a good speller, and has some sort of drool coming from his beak. Kinda creepy, but lovable... as he is part of our GU FAMILY, so who cares.:D

jazzdelmar
12-20-2012, 02:48 PM
hang tough, 'born. your views are every bit as valuable and insightful as those who want to sanitize and soften your sometimes hard words.

IrishZagFan
12-20-2012, 03:03 PM
It would appear Francis has one horn, a birds beak, is not a good speller, and has some sort of drool coming from his beak. Kinda creepy, but lovable... as he is part of our GU FAMILY, so who cares.:D

Very similar to this real life photo:

http://www.lair2000.net/Unicorn_Dreams/Unicorns_Man_Made/lancelot2.jpg

Reborn
12-20-2012, 03:28 PM
OMG! I just saw coach K of Duke chewing out his players during a timeout. I am sure it was for not playing as hard as he knows they can. I hope he didn't offend the players or their families. Maybe Sports channels should begin to monitor what the camera men or women are showing live on TV.

MDABE80
12-20-2012, 03:31 PM
hang tough, 'born. your views are every bit as valuable and insightful as those who want to sanitize and soften your sometimes hard words.

This. Much better than you used to be. Lots.

IrishZagFan
12-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Francis, get off the skateboard dude.....

http://www.fonemenu.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/no-evil-goats-on-skateboards.jpg

Zagdawg
12-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Those of us who left our families to go overseas to serve/protect this great nation, understand that we did it to protect their rights and the rights of everyone on this board to post their opinion-- even if they differ from our own.

One of the key items that come to my mind and brings this back into perspective is this is the game of basketball. We all love ourselves some basketball-- but there is also more out there.

There are families that have lost loved ones in horrific events recently that have made me more sensitive to what I might say to someones family member if this was the last thing I could say about them.

Being too sensitive during the holiday season...maybe. But I would rather go that direction than the other option-- especially with the end of the world right around the corner. :)

Standing before The Man.... whats he going to say about how I treated my brothers and sisters.

Unless it is a UW Husky.....then that is a whole nother story.

:) Happy Holidays and God Bless

Oregonzagnut
12-20-2012, 05:31 PM
There have been 3-4 threads about Dowers regression. Ranging from illness to laziness. Dower is not sick anymore and real competitors will perform even if they have to puke in a bucket behind the bench. Whatever the issues regarding Dower, he pretty much lost his starting spot and that wasn't because of the flu. He has had many starts and chances to get up to speed. I am 99% sure it isn't laziness or illness. He is behind the learning curve.

As far as Reborn, if he is a former Zag player, then he can say what he truly feels to any player, coach or fan. Reborn is genuine and as a former player he can call out other players. If Reborn occasionally lacks tact, fine tell him, but you better use the same tact that you expect from everyone else.

Definition of disgrace:
Loss of reputation or respect, esp. as the result of a dishonorable action.

I am 100% sure Reborn is speaking of actions being a disgrace, not the person! I think Reborn knows what it means to wear a Zag uniform. Be it police, fire, military or sport, a uniform is earned and has a level of performance to keep it. If Reborn feels a player is not maintaining the high level of performance, then Reborn is uniquely qualified HAVING DONNED A ZAG UNIFORM to say so.

IMO, Reborn's opinion matters more than 99% of anyone else here, including mine.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-20-2012, 06:43 PM
OMG! I just saw coach K of Duke chewing out his players during a timeout. I am sure it was for not playing as hard as he knows they can. I hope he didn't offend the players or their families. Maybe Sports channels should begin to monitor what the camera men or women are showing live on TV.

I'd bet every dollar I have that Coach K didn't call any of them a "disgrace to the uniform."

Zagdawg
12-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Nothing has been said about reborns opinion--it is the tact he chooses to use when delivering it about our players on our team--but then again that is just my opinion.

A uniform is just a piece of clothing--it is how you represent what it stands for that matters. Ask San Diego alumni how they feel about their ex-player Brandon Johnson--he wore their uniform also.

Honor..courage..ethical integrity..professional conduct..sacrifice..brotherhood..service before self... are a few of the ideals a person in uniform may represent.

We all recognize the need to show respect and support for our players in their ups and downs because they are part of the Gonzaga family.

Differing opinions are expected and accepted --just deliver the message with the respect our players and their families deserve.

Go Zags

Reborn
12-20-2012, 08:51 PM

We all recognize the need to show respect and support for our players in their ups and downs because they are part of the Gonzaga family.

Differing opinions are expected and accepted --just deliver the message with the respect our players and their families deserve.

Go Zags

I apologize to you for saying something that showed disrespect for someone in your family. I will try much harder to not be offensive to you. I appreciate what you wrote.

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
12-20-2012, 09:06 PM
for me, it really is about bad rhetoric.
here is a legitimately written and fair criticism of Sam:

"the good things he did as a second semester frosh, he still does. the problems he had as a second semester frosh, he still has."

but the word "disgrace" implies so much more. Its not just a dictionary definition. Its an interpretation, a shaming and a slighting that assumes so much about a player..... his ethic, his integrity, his honor.

I have no idea why SD seems to be stuck in the time warp again. I don't. But he works hard and he has honor and if he has some issue, we will find out, eventually. And it will be unlikely to be "disgraceful."

And I think "criticism good." I used to be with an NCAA program with the slogan "Criticize a team-mate" above the chalkboard. '

But say what they are doing wrong. Don't just label something disgraceful because you don't like it. Its like liberals who label everything they don't like as 'fascist' or conservatives who label everything they don't like as 'socialist' and neither side has any idea what either label means.

What does disgrace mean?

Reborn
12-20-2012, 09:47 PM
As far as Reborn, if he is a former Zag player, then he can say what he truly feels to any player, coach or fan. Reborn is genuine and as a former player he can call out other players. If Reborn occasionally lacks tact, fine tell him, but you better use the same tact that you expect from everyone else.

Definition of disgrace:

I am 100% sure Reborn is speaking of actions being a disgrace, not the person! I think Reborn knows what it means to wear a Zag uniform. Be it police, fire, military or sport, a uniform is earned and has a level of performance to keep it. If Reborn feels a player is not maintaining the high level of performance, then Reborn is uniquely qualified HAVING DONNED A ZAG UNIFORM to say so.

IMO, Reborn's opinion matters more than 99% of anyone else here, including mine.

Oregonzagnut. I disagree with you. I'm just a fan here, and my opinion is like anyone else's, just an opinion. And I do not consider myself more of a Zag then anyone else here on the board, or anyone else who considers themselves to be a fan of The Zags. I'm just a member of ZagNation like anyone else. I have my unique experiences both playing and coaching like many others here, but those experiences do not make me more knowledgeable than many others who write here, and everyone who loves this game of basketball, and also loves Gonzaga University certainly is qualified to speak out here. My candid nature is sometimes not appreciated here, and the way I say things sometimes upsets other members. And most importantly sometimes I am wrong in what I say. And if you were to read the thousands of posts that I have written here, we would all agree that I've been wrong alot. And quite frankly, I am tired of all of this. Afterall. It is Christmas.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years

Good luck Zags!!!

FrancisTheGoat
12-21-2012, 06:06 AM
Everyone hear are dumb.

ESPECIALY WOOHOO. He doesnt know anything he talks about. All he does is sit on computer and not let me play minesweeper, and then every tim I try to log on to 'the internets', him has cleared the web browser history.

Birddog
12-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Everyone hear are dumb.

ESPECIALY WOOHOO. He doesnt know anything he talks about. All he does is sit on computer and not let me play minesweeper, and then every tim I try to log on to 'the internets', him has cleared the web browser history.

He's erasing all the porn sites he visits. Remember the playmate scandal?

gozagswoohoo
12-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Does anyone know if it's illegal to murder a goat?

asking for a friend

77Zag
12-21-2012, 09:09 AM

asking for a friend

Not if for personal comsumption, but if a random act of violence, yes... punishable by a weeks stay in the SMC gym/garage with Omar.

Birddog
12-21-2012, 11:24 AM

asking for a friend

Francis, is your PETA membership in good standing?

Zagtana
12-21-2012, 03:11 PM
CURRY GOAT RECIPE
Rinse goat meat well, rub lime juice over it (from 1/2 whole lime), place meat in a bowl, then add salt, black pepper, Scotch bonnet, thyme, allspice, curry powder, scallions, onion and garlic. Leave to marinate for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator, longer would be ideal. Heat the oil in a skillet until it is very hot, and saute the meat until golden brown. Then add the marinade, tomatoes and coconut milk, if using, and simmer for approximately 3 more minutes. Add water, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 2 to 3 hours stirring occasionally until meat is tender.

DADoZAG
12-21-2012, 03:19 PM
I didn't realize that my Glenmorangie needed a hat!

Go ZAGS!

SunDevilGolfZag
12-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Wow, not much Christmas spirit in some on this thread. Zags played just as hard as they needed to and came out with a nice victory and didn't shove it in the face of a very game Campbell team. GUys have been working this arses off for a few months now and were/are looking forward to some time off.

Good post. The team is tired and simply needs a break. Coasting a little bit through the second half to avoid rubbing it in the face of an opponent that traveled 2500 miles during their holiday to get here is more an act of class than anything.

snebzag
12-21-2012, 05:56 PM
This thread is all over the place. First, I've never killed or eaten a goat, but it looks wonderful, in tacos.
Second, I disagree with Reborn. Sam is NOT a discrace to the uniform. Reborn is entitled to his opinion no matter how off the chart it is.........

Third, I loved Reborns story of practice fist fights back in the day.

Fourth, Reborn if you continue to Dis Sam, I'll send Tom Hattrup over to your house to pick a fist fight. Just saying.

Zagsker
12-21-2012, 07:24 PM

asking for a friend

yes it is...but weirdly enough, taking a goat to a public place and whispering sweet nothings into it's ear while stuffing your face with Pepperidge farm is highly legal and a sign of romanticism in some circles

Zagsker
12-21-2012, 07:26 PM
As far as Reborn, if he is a former Zag player, then he can say what he truly feels to any player, coach or fan. .

I averaged 15 ppg my senior year in HS basketball and then went on to average 103 ppg in NBA Jams during my college years.....what are my posting privelages?

Reborn
12-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Fourth, Reborn if you continue to Dis Sam, I'll send Tom Hattrup over to your house to pick a fist fight. Just saying.

It would be great to see Tom. You know we went to highschool together? I think he was a year behind me.

snebzag
12-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Yes, A year behind you. Went to Gu After you. Small world . Married one of my sisters Dick.
Keep the Zag faith Bro. He lives in Moxee If you wish to reconnect. It would be benifial for him.

Hoopaholic
12-21-2012, 08:29 PM
California zag...I will take the bet that coach k has used that type of language, discussion and tact...I was assigned to the duke team in 1989 when seton hall handed them a huge loss as the primary law enforcement officer for that particular team ...it was amazing to say the least

Oregonzagnut
12-21-2012, 09:01 PM
I averaged 15 ppg my senior year in HS basketball and then went on to average 103 ppg in NBA Jams during my college years.....what are my posting privelages?

NBA Jam was awesome esp. if you had Malone and Stockton IMO. But I always thought it was lame that Horace Grant was for Chicago instead of Jordan. That game would have been too awesome if it had Jordan.

He's heating up! He's on Fire!! Boomshakalaka!!!

Back on topic, posting privileges are for the admins to decide. But Reborn is still here with the same privileges as you and I, so I am not sure where posting privileges was introduced to you. But each of us has to decide how much credibility we give others. I trust Reborn is telling the truth that he is a former Gonzaga player, so IMO, both he and you (if you are not lying) have more credibility than I do when it comes to specific H.S or college basketball info. Therefore I would give you the benefit of the doubt and trust your honesty until otherwise.

He's heating up! He's on Fire!! Boomshakalaka!!!

There is no get out of jail free card for anyone and if Reborn offends he'll have to pay the consequences for his lack of tact. Namely being ignored or discredited. I just don't think Reborn was being malicious, but it appears many disagree with me, including Reborn himself. :clap: I just can't think anyone would be like that so I hope there was another reason. IMO the credibility of a former Gonzaga player to comment accurately on team dynamics is far greater than a non player. First hand experience is usually best so I tend to trust it first. But not always.

TheZagPhish
12-21-2012, 09:05 PM
http://f.cl.ly/items/1g3Z301t0n3k0j2M1s0I/casual-mr-taco.gif

Oregonzagnut
12-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Zagphish......

That is one creepy taco. eeeek

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-21-2012, 09:21 PM
http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/wsg/image/1349/52/1349523176493.gif

LongIslandZagFan
12-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Zagphish......

That is one creepy taco. eeeek

Gotta agree on this. Can a taco be a pedophile? Cuz I think that one just might be.

LongIslandZagFan
12-21-2012, 09:45 PM
http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/wsg/image/1349/52/1349523176493.gif

Whoa, whoa, whoa... is he saying foo in that gif?

Reborn
12-22-2012, 08:48 AM
I don't think I was being malicious, Oregonzagnut. I'm not that kind of person. You are right about that. What I said about Sam is something that was used in my world when someone was not "giving 100%" on the court. It was never said to hurt anyone on the teams I played for, nor their families. It was used to inspire us to play harder. At least that was the way I took it.

The reason I apologized is because this is a basketball forum and not a basketball lockerroom, or the front room in someone's home where private talks take place. Sometimes I forget that there is a big difference between a lockerroom and a forum. There are some things that should not be said in public because, most often they will be misunderstood. I am beginning to understand why some people join a private chatroom.

Oregonzagnut
12-22-2012, 09:16 AM
I don't think I was being malicious, Oregonzagnut. I'm not that kind of person. You are right about that. What I said about Sam is something that was used in my world when someone was not "giving 100%" on the court. It was never said to hurt anyone on the teams I played for, nor their families. It was used to inspire us to play harder. At least that was the way I took it.

The reason I apologized is because this is a basketball forum and not a basketball lockerroom, or the front room in someone's home where private talks take place. Sometimes I forget that there is a big difference between a lockerroom and a forum. There are some things that should not be said in public because, most often they will be misunderstood. I am beginning to understand why some people join a private chatroom.

I am surprised we don't have a chat room. Stuff disappears after 3 pages lines and it is deleted and forgotten. Actually that would be kinda cool here.